PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard Still Has Nasty Hops

Smook A.
09-24-2014, 07:53 PM
http://instagram.com/p/tTtwS8Ki87 (http://instagram.com/p/tTtwS8Ki87/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video&modal=true)
http://instagram.com/p/tTufNoqi9w (http://instagram.com/p/tTufNoqi9w/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video&modal=true)

Lookin' like the Dwight from the 2008/2009 dunk contest.

Milbuck
09-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Dwight was never the problem. Flat out stud in the playoffs, and I have no doubt he'll get it together this season.

But the longer he has to carry that bearded dead weight, the sooner his back is gonna break down again.

ImKobe
09-24-2014, 08:37 PM
the explosion is there

Dwight gonna have a decent season IMO

Jameerthefear
09-24-2014, 08:38 PM
It never was hops. He's not as quick. Especially defensively. That's the biggest difference between him now and Orlando-Dwight

Graviton
09-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Dwight was never the problem. Flat out stud in the playoffs, and I have no doubt he'll get it together this season.

But the longer he has to carry that bearded dead weight, the sooner his back is gonna break down again.
When did you start to hate Harden so much? Was it before or after he left OKC? :lol

Cocaine80s
09-24-2014, 09:03 PM
When did you start to hate Harden so much? Was it before or after he left OKC? :lol
after harden ****ed his bitch
just kidding milbuck

Baller1986
09-24-2014, 09:07 PM
I think he fully recovered from his back injury.

SCdac
09-24-2014, 09:11 PM
That was pretty sick... Having said that, over 10 seasons into his NBA career, I'd be more impressed if he perfected a midrange jump shot.... Lack of athleticism and dunking is not his problem but glad to see he's still got it.

Eric Cartman
09-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Truer words have never been uttered :applause:

josh99
09-24-2014, 11:01 PM
It never was hops. He's not as quick. Especially defensively. That's the biggest difference between him now and Orlando-Dwight
This.

HylianNightmare
09-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Sick. Hope he has a great year

IGOTGAME
09-24-2014, 11:14 PM
not all the way back. a bit less than what he was, a noticeable bit.

avonbarksdale
09-24-2014, 11:15 PM
/r/nba

HOoopCityJones
09-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Dunking , leaping, athleticism was never the issue imo.

His game is still one dimensional. Compare him to today's Lebron who used to get accused of being a one note "drive and dunk or kick " player as well, but look how far he's come since then. While Dwight is still the same player he was in 07-08, yet he has been training with Hakeem since he won his first Dunk contest and still doesn't have a post game. Rocket fans like to pretend he just started learning from Dream when in truth he's been working out with him for years now and still can't post up to save his life.

His FT shooting got considerably better since leaving the squad and I expect him to have a monster year, since with Parsons, Lin and Asik gone, it'll really just be him and Harden. They wanted to be Shaq and Kobe, now they really are just "two deep".

yeaaaman
09-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Dunking , leaping, athleticism was never the issue imo.

His game is still one dimensional. Compare him to today's Lebron who used to get accused of being a one note "drive and dunk or kick " player as well, but look how far he's come since then. While Dwight is still the same player he was in 07-08, yet he has been training with Hakeem since he won his first Dunk contest and still doesn't have a post game. Rocket fans like to pretend he just started learning from Dream when in truth he's been working out with him for years now and still can't post up to save his life.

His FT shooting got considerably better since leaving the squad and I expect him to have a monster year, since with Parsons, Lin and Asik gone, it'll really just be him and Harden. They wanted to be Shaq and Kobe, now they really are just "two deep".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpevt7MlAnY

Howard's never going to be a jumpshooter, and why should he? Having a nice bank shot would be helpful but I don't think with his body and game he should focus on becoming that kind of player.

He has made improvements down low and he should continue to focus on that area.

tpols
09-25-2014, 09:40 PM
lol @ first comment

Need to be practicing your free throws, not dunks.

bdreason
09-25-2014, 10:00 PM
All he needs is a post hook and a counter. Four moves. That's all. Forget training with Hakeem and McHale... that shit is just going to confuse him.

Look, Dwight has the four moves... he just doesn't have great touch around the rim, and he never will. That doesn't mean he can't score at a high % around the paint, which he does... but the real problem is his FT shooting. If you can't hit FT's, teams are just going to foul you. If Dwight shot 70%+ from the FT line he would be infinitely more dangerous.

Jameerthefear
09-25-2014, 10:03 PM
All he needs is a post hook and a counter. Four moves. That's all. Forget training with Hakeem and McHale... that shit is just going to confuse him.

Look, Dwight has the four moves... he just doesn't have great touch around the rim, and he never will. That doesn't mean he can't score at a high % around the paint, which he does... but the real problem is his FT shooting. If you can't hit FT's, teams are just going to foul you. If Dwight shot 70%+ from the FT line he would be infinitely more dangerous.
IMO at this point he should just commit more to the PnR and get his defense back to DPOY levels. When he's hot, ride him in the post. His quickness is gone a bit, but I think having Stan up his ass about defense all the time was important too. Mchale and Pringles don't stress defense enough and I think he picked up bad habits.

no pun intended
09-25-2014, 11:24 PM
IMO at this point he should just commit more to the PnR and get his defense back to DPOY levels. When he's hot, ride him in the post. His quickness is gone a bit, but I think having Stan up his ass about defense all the time was important too. Mchale and Pringles don't stress defense enough and I think he picked up bad habits.
Couldn't agree more. Nash and D'Antoni were even up in his ass about PnR. It's a shame Dwight went against their own offensive philosophy.

fiddy
09-25-2014, 11:30 PM
nice dunks, still will miss the playoffs doe

Random_Guy
09-26-2014, 03:41 AM

Howard's never going to be a jumpshooter, and why should he? Having a nice bank shot would be helpful but I don't think with his body and game he should focus on becoming that kind of player.

some nice moves

gasolina
09-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Remember his finals run and the year after? He had a nice bank shot going for him and it magically disappeared that year he got injured (not after the injury, if I might add).

I'm a big howard fan (bought 3 of his shoes for balling, great performers btw), but the problem is he's just not comfortable posting up. Too many times he gets into position, but instead of taking a jump hook, pivots INTO the defender and gets fouled. He's too mechanical in his moves and just doesn't have that feel like a Zbo or Lopez.

Agree with the speed part. It shows not only in offense but on defense as well. He just can't get to a spot as fast or jump up as fast as he used to.

He's also probably pissed off at so many back cuts he had to deal with when Harden's on the floor.

Bigsmoke
09-26-2014, 11:55 AM
James Harden and Kevin McHale are the problem. Not Dwight's leaping abilities

Nikola_
09-26-2014, 12:15 PM
poor mans deandre jordan at this point

Myth
09-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Having a mid-range bank shot would do wonders for his offensive game. Imagine if people had to step out on him, then he could actually put the ball on the ground and get to the rim even easier. He gets by post players now by sheer athleticism, but imagine if they actually had to be ready for a pump fake too.

j3lademaster
09-26-2014, 01:35 PM
James Harden and Kevin McHale are the problem. Not Dwight's leaping abilitiesThis. We saw what Dwight can do in the playoffs when he's focused: 26/14 with good defense. Sure LMA got off a few 40 point games, but LMA is kinda... well... he's pretty damn good and pretty unstoppable when he's feeling it. Having Asik and Dwight in the game at the same time and forcing one of them to try to pick up LMA 18-20 feet from the basket was full retard coaching.

Also Harden is a negative impact during playoff time. When he's not getting calls he gets frustrated and then it becomes throwing teammates under the bus along with giving zero effort on both ends of the court instead of just defense. All this for what? 26 points off bad percentages?

yeaaaman
09-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Having a mid-range bank shot would do wonders for his offensive game. Imagine if people had to step out on him, then he could actually put the ball on the ground and get to the rim even easier. He gets by post players now by sheer athleticism, but imagine if they actually had to be ready for a pump fake too.

That's actually true, if he had a reliable banker he would be unstoppable. He beats people off the dribble without even having a shot worth respecting.

Random_Guy
09-26-2014, 08:53 PM
That's actually true, if he had a reliable banker he would be unstoppable. He beats people off the dribble without even having a shot worth respecting.
That's true but too general, I mean which centre wouldn't benefit greatly from a midrange? Imagine one dimensional guys like Tyson chandler or Asik. :confusedshrug:

IGOTGAME
09-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Remember his finals run and the year after? He had a nice bank shot going for him and it magically disappeared that year he got injured (not after the injury, if I might add).

I'm a big howard fan (bought 3 of his shoes for balling, great performers btw), but the problem is he's just not comfortable posting up. Too many times he gets into position, but instead of taking a jump hook, pivots INTO the defender and gets fouled. He's too mechanical in his moves and just doesn't have that feel like a Zbo or Lopez.

Agree with the speed part. It shows not only in offense but on defense as well. He just can't get to a spot as fast or jump up as fast as he used to.

He's also probably pissed off at so many back cuts he had to deal with when Harden's on the floor.

he is definitely not the same. The old Howard is the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league.

TheReal Kendall
09-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Y'all must've forgot this dude 6'11.

Post moves and free throws bro

Jameerthefear
09-26-2014, 09:03 PM

He posted a video of him working on freethrows yesterday.

oarabbus
09-26-2014, 09:38 PM

He's definitely not 6'11"

http://www.nbacircle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Pau-Gasol-and-Dwight-Howard-Lakers.jpg

Pau is close to 2" taller, Dwight looks shorter than DeAndre Jordan too.

Anyway, Dwight is a beast. I think he still is shaking off being underrated from his year on the Lakers. He tore it up last year.

yeaaaman
09-27-2014, 04:09 AM
That's true but too general, I mean which centre wouldn't benefit greatly from a midrange? Imagine one dimensional guys like Tyson chandler or Asik. :confusedshrug:

Um not all centres have the athletic ability of Dwight.

yeaaaman
09-27-2014, 04:11 AM

I mean are you asserting that Asik and Chandler with an equal bank shot to Howard would be unstoppable? Asik could shoot three pointers at 50% and still not be half the player Howard is. All players aren't created equal.

masonanddixon
09-27-2014, 09:02 AM
He's not even a top 30 player in the league anymore.

ArbitraryWater
09-27-2014, 09:26 AM
DaaaaWight! :rockon:

HOoopCityJones
09-27-2014, 10:49 AM

Who said anything about jumpshooting? The guy-needs-to-post-up.

He better hope he can squeeze every ounce of his athleticism for what it's worth because damn...

Rose'sACL
09-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Who said anything about jumpshooting? The guy-needs-to-post-up.

He better hope he can squeeze every ounce of his athleticism for what it's worth because damn...
While his post game is not at an all time legendary level, he did very well in the playoffs. He averaged 26-13 and ppl still say stupid shit like you just did.

HOoopCityJones
09-27-2014, 11:34 AM
While his post game is not at an all time legendary level, he did very well in the playoffs. He averaged 26-13 and ppl still say stupid shit like you just did.

You post stats and think that equates to a post game and I'm the one who's stupid? :facepalm

Post footage of this "not all-time legendary" post game that got him 26-13. Just because he operates from the paint doesn't mean he has substantial post moves.

yeaaaman
09-27-2014, 02:25 PM
You post stats and think that equates to a post game and I'm the one who's stupid? :facepalm

Post footage of this "not all-time legendary" post game that got him 26-13. Just because he operates from the paint doesn't mean he has substantial post moves.

I posted a link where I think he has some decent variety of moves, especially in comparison with other centers in the league.