PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons suspended...

gts
09-24-2014, 10:35 PM
:lol

[I]Bill Simmons has been suspended by ESPN -- after ripping into NFL commish Roger Goodell on his podcast and then DARING the network to punish him for it.

Simmons basically put his bosses on blast -- after trashing Goodell and then saying, "I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I

JohnFreeman
09-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Ridiculous

MP.Trey
09-24-2014, 10:38 PM
What's with ESPN suspending everybody left and right? Can't speak your mind in a podcast, put up a joking billboard or nothing nowadays.

Warfan
09-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Don't get fired Bill...

boozehound
09-24-2014, 11:09 PM
thats ****ing ridiculous. I am done with all espn produced podcasts. They all suck except for the grantland ones anyways.

boozehound
09-24-2014, 11:10 PM
wow, no article that I can see, but the pod has been pulled.

King Jane
09-24-2014, 11:13 PM
he shoud b arrested but they wont cause he white

JimmyMcAdocious
09-24-2014, 11:14 PM
He spoke the truth. :confusedshrug:

rhowen4
09-24-2014, 11:39 PM
wow, no article that I can see, but the pod has been pulled.
pissed

33teeth
09-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Insane. I know it won't help but I emailed them and encourage others to do so. He should be able to speak his mind - especially on a podcast.

AnaheimLakers24
09-24-2014, 11:45 PM
go to tnt bill

Sarcastic
09-25-2014, 12:03 AM
SAS won't get suspended again. Dude has been on a rampage defending Goodell during this whole thing.

wally_world
09-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Don't get fired Bill...

Dammit you beat me to it

NuggetsFan
09-25-2014, 12:16 AM
That sucks. I like Simmons, say what you will about his bias but guy will speak his mind.

Akrazotile
09-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Plenty of ESPN writers have ripped Goodell with statements of opinion.

The difference is Simmons is overtly libeling him and calling it fact. You cant do that.

GimmeThat
09-25-2014, 12:35 AM
but they don't suspend experts for making the wrong picks on winning the NBA?

FPJ
09-25-2014, 01:42 AM
The freedom of speech is highly regarded in the states :applause: .

oarabbus
09-25-2014, 02:01 AM

The difference is Simmons is overtly libeling him and calling it fact. You cant do that.

It's not libel if it's true.

This is ridiculous.

bdreason
09-25-2014, 02:25 AM
He asked for it, and got it. Did he really think he would win a game of chicken with his boss?

GimmeThat
09-25-2014, 02:31 AM
He asked for it, and got it. Did he really think he would win a game of chicken with his boss?

so is he agreeing with his boss or is he not?

kshutts1
09-25-2014, 07:10 AM
If what was written on page one was really what was said, then that's a silly reason to be suspended. He said qualifying words multiple times... "if" and "I think".

But whatever. It's not basketball season, so I don't particularly care.

DCL
09-25-2014, 07:32 AM
money is power

dec1981
09-25-2014, 08:54 AM
So, Stephen A. Smith gets 1 week for say women shouldn't provoke men and Simmons gets 3 weeks for calling Goodell a liar. Good job ESPN, you look just a dumb as the NFL.

Smook A.
09-25-2014, 09:13 AM
ESPN gets butthurt over the smallest things. What Simmons said wasn't even wrong. It's like ESPN doesn't allow people to express their opinions. Just let someone speak their mind, god dammit.

navy
09-25-2014, 09:21 AM

No, he challenged them publicly and got burned. Had he not thrown in that last part he would have been safe probably.

Thorpesaurous
09-25-2014, 09:22 AM
So that means three weeks in the middle of football season where we don't get to hear him and Cousin Sal guess the lines. That's one of my favorite podcasts.

He really should've splintered Grantland off on his own instead using the ESPN money as a crutch and letting them stay tied on. It may have been harder to get off the ground, but at this point he's be making more and have total authority.

stanlove1111
09-25-2014, 10:02 AM
The freedom of speech is highly regarded in the states :applause: .

I am started to think that people should be required to study what Freedom of Speech is before they get on the internet. This has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Grey Dawn
09-25-2014, 10:13 AM
So, Stephen A. Smith gets 1 week for say women shouldn't provoke men and Simmons gets 3 weeks for calling Goodell a liar. Good job ESPN, you look just a dumb as the NFL.

ZING!

Yep, Goddell is lying and everybody knows it. Who actually thinks he has been telling the truth and not just being a corporate robot?

ESPN here just concerned with their relationship with the NFL, not that they disagree with Bill.

Grey Dawn
09-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Most of US media = drones
Simmons = real

miles berg
09-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Love Bill, he is right, no doubt...but so is ESPN. No matter what Bill ever contributes to them it will not even be a zit on the ass of what the NFL does for ESPN. They have to protect the NFL.

Sucks for Bill but ESPN is doing what it has to do.

ralph_i_el
09-25-2014, 10:21 AM
he shoud b arrested but they wont cause he white
****in whities

StephHamann
09-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Does this mean no NBA Previews? :cry:

Pushxx
09-25-2014, 11:19 AM

Came in to post this.

Bill Simmons states the obvious and he gets 3 times the hammer SAS did.

niko
09-25-2014, 11:31 AM
The podcasts warns on language and subject matter. Stephen A took his radio show and used it to go on a tangent. Bill Simmons used his forum in the way it was designed to be used. Essentially he was suspended for calling Goodell a liar. Wow.

gts
09-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Love Bill, he is right, no doubt...but so is ESPN. No matter what Bill ever contributes to them it will not even be a zit on the ass of what the NFL does for ESPN. They have to protect the NFL.

Sucks for Bill but ESPN is doing what it has to do.

Yep you're talking about a multi billion dollar relationship between the NFL and ESPN... Simmons and others need to realize they're not journalists per se, To ESPN they are entertainers disguised as sports reporters and the company won't allow them to jeopardize the business...

You want to be a hard hitting sports reporter go to SI or Yahoo or someplace that doesn't have huge TV contracts with the sports you'll be covering

Pointguard
09-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Came in to post this.

Espn desperately wants football contracts. This won't be forgotten. Bill is a complete idiot for not knowing who can punish his boss. He still might get fired.

ProfessorMurder
09-25-2014, 12:23 PM
He really should've splintered Grantland off on his own instead using the ESPN money as a crutch and letting them stay tied on. It may have been harder to get off the ground, but at this point he's be making more and have total authority.

This. It would be so much better if they were just their own entity. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet.

They produce videos, produce podcasts, do live stuff, have articles, etc. Just go full time with it and you'll be making bank.

Thorpesaurous
09-25-2014, 12:37 PM
This. It would be so much better if they were just their own entity. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet.

They produce videos, produce podcasts, do live stuff, have articles, etc. Just go full time with it and you'll be making bank.

I know that when Grantland was founded, it was as a contract negotiation between Simmons and ESPN. He had gone from being the main attraction on their old Page 2 format. To basically being Page 2. To finally getting his own tab. In fact I remember it being a big deal when Cowherd came and he got his own box on the ESPN home page, and Simmons didn't have one yet, and then he got it.

So when his contract came up, this was his idea to leave. To create this other blog. And while I'm sure he could've done it, he just didn't want to leave the ESPN money behind. I'm sure they did great things for him in setting it up. He was given authority to hire his own staff, and I'm sure he's outpaying other similar sites, and as such, he's built a really good stable of young writers. Maybe that process would've taken longer without ESPN's money. I'm sure they also helped a great deal with the production quality he enjoys. And I'm sure it's a big asset just with the connections ESPN has (I listen to Francesca from time to time, and he complains all the time about how ESPN keeps it's people from appearing on other stations to talk about stuff, because for years he'd do segments with Peter Gammons, and Gammons had sort of been grandfathered in, but he couldn't get other people).

But with the relationships he has, I'd be surprised if he couldn't have gotten the site up and going without latching onto the ESPN teet. And I wonder what it would look like now without it.

ProfessorMurder
09-25-2014, 12:53 PM
True. I figure it would be a bit tricky to take Grantland solo as it stands, but it's definitely possible now.

One trouble would be with writers and hosts under contract with ABC/ESPN as well. If they couldn't figure out a workaround they'd lose some people.

Andrew Wiggins
09-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Espn desperately wants football contracts. This won't be forgotten. Bill is a complete idiot for not knowing who can punish his boss. He still might get fired.

i doubt he cares, he'll have his pick of any big network if he's a free agent. wouldn't firing him terminate his noncompete clause anyway?

Andrew Wiggins
09-25-2014, 12:59 PM
True. I figure it would be a bit tricky to take Grantland solo as it stands, but it's definitely possible now.

One trouble would be with writers and hosts under contract with ABC/ESPN as well. If they couldn't figure out a workaround they'd lose some people.

from what i've heard, grantland is barely turning a profit

All Net
09-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Long overdue

Magic 32
09-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Don't get fired Bill...but do get suspended :banana: :banana: :banana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgoV5u2WWJs

ProfessorMurder
09-25-2014, 01:10 PM
from what i've heard, grantland is barely turning a profit

But they don't make their own money, right? Doesn't it all just go to the conglomerate and then trickle down?

Most podcast networks let fans donate, and are ad supported on sites and in shows. They don't bring in tons, but I'm sure they'd make more money.

Heavincent
09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Long overdue

What?

Pointguard
09-25-2014, 02:16 PM
i doubt he cares, he'll have his pick of any big network if he's a free agent. wouldn't firing him terminate his noncompete clause anyway?

Like the Danny Ferry situation, its not what they did, its the disregard for the organization. Nobody wants to gamble on the fool, who doesn't know what is of value to the institution. Different if Simmon's had more time behind the mike. Oh course I can't say one way or the other if somebody will pick him up or not, but in general its bad business and hurts himself as a product unless he wanted out of the contract and has something already lined up.

SpecialQue
09-25-2014, 02:22 PM
"I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you.”

I haven't heard the podcast, but if this is his quote, it was mighty stupid on his part. Just like I can't make blog posts that endanger my company's business interests, Bill can't do the same. As long as he's tied to ESPN in any way, he has to tow the line. A lot people aren't understanding that free speech isn't tied directly to job security. Your boss has every right to suspend/fire you if you bait them publicly or potentially prevent them from making a profit. If Bill doesn't want that, go solo and lose free tickets to games and all that media money.

Thorpesaurous
09-25-2014, 02:26 PM
But they don't make their own money, right? Doesn't it all just go to the conglomerate and then trickle down?

Most podcast networks let fans donate, and are ad supported on sites and in shows. They don't bring in tons, but I'm sure they'd make more money.

Yeah ... I wonder how much they're even trying to monetize the product. They've got Subway, Stamps.com, Porch Pie, and a few other banner ads. But I'd have to think if they wanted to generate more they could ramp up the advertising dramatically if they were operating on their own.

Maybe that's part of why he chose to run it through ESPN. They may have promised to prop it up so he could keep it clean. It is a pretty nice website. It feels like you're reading an old Sport magazine.

Smoke117
09-25-2014, 02:37 PM
You can't even speak your mind on your own podcast? :biggums:

SpecialQue
09-25-2014, 02:40 PM
You can't even speak your mind on your own podcast? :biggums:

It's not his podcast. It's ESPN's.

Also, I didn't realize he was also banned from Twitter. Now THAT I disagree with, since, as far as I know, ESPN has nothing to do with his Twitter account.

ILLsmak
09-25-2014, 02:43 PM

What sucks about it is people 'punish' others in these ways not because of what's right and wrong, but it's more of boss checking.

I think Simmons can make it on his own. However, I would worry more about the other Grant guys that are under him. They might get hit hard. So he's put in a position to maybe fall in line for their sake.

I am waiting for him to 'go public', tho. The world won't change until people stop supporting these big companies. Which means... it won't ever change.

Edit:

It's not his podcast. It's ESPN's.

Also, I didn't realize he was also banned from Twitter. Now THAT I disagree with, since, as far as I know, ESPN has nothing to do with his Twitter account.

He needs to make a new acct BillSimmonsBanned or something and just talk much shit. It would go viral. That's why it's better to stay humble and keep your opinions... not take big moni cuz then people own you.

-Smak

boozehound
09-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Like the Danny Ferry situation, its not what they did, its the disregard for the organization. Nobody wants to gamble on the fool, who doesn't know what is of value to the institution. Different if Simmon's had more time behind the mike. Oh course I can't say one way or the other if somebody will pick him up or not, but in general its bad business and hurts himself as a product unless he wanted out of the contract and has something already lined up.
dude, are you kidding me? He was able to spin off of espn and make the only non-soundbite content of their entire empire on grantland. believe me, he would be a hot commodity.

Baller1986
09-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Damn. Both of the Simmons are suspended/banned. Simonwayne and Bill Simmons.

boozehound
09-25-2014, 03:13 PM
funny that they still have a big picture of him on the front page of the website.

gts
09-25-2014, 03:18 PM
What sucks about it is people 'punish' others in these ways not because of what's right and wrong, but it's more of boss checking.

I think Simmons can make it on his own. However, I would worry more about the other Grant guys that are under him. They might get hit hard. So he's put in a position to maybe fall in line for their sake.

-Smak

Simmons would have to start from scratch with a new staff... the other Grantland guys are under contract with ESPN

That being said there's rumblings on the web this is a stunt by Simmons.. He knew he'd get suspended

We'll see right now nobody from ESPN is talking about it

hawksdogsbraves
09-25-2014, 03:21 PM
Simmons is probably using this time to go take a vacation in Mexico, he doesn't give a shit. It was probably his plan all along.

He would find a job in a second if he were fired, but ESPN would never fire him to begin with. Grantland is the best thing they have going.

ArbitraryWater
09-25-2014, 03:25 PM
It's not libel if it's true.

This is ridiculous.

Except you can't just decide what's true and what's not..

boozehound
09-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Except you can't just decide what's true and what's not..
I dont see how this is even close to libel. He says "I think he is lying" as part of the conversation. Hes entitled to his opinion. As I understand it, part of proving libel is proving that it is malicious. And I dont think you could here.

Burgz V2
09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Came in to post this.

Not saying I agree with the length, I think ESPN are cowards just as much as anyone in this thread. But Simmons openly challenged ESPN to reprimand him. SAS said an opinion that was misplaced and he apologized (not saying he meant it, but he had to put his pride aside on national television), whereas Simmons was openly defiant and unapologetic. I hardly think comparing the two makes any sense, the content and contexts are different.

Pointguard
09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
dude, are you kidding me? He was able to spin off of espn and make the only non-soundbite content of their entire empire on grantland. believe me, he would be a hot commodity.

Hey I seen Shabba and Prince both whom had a global following and a loyal underground world, sink with a much surer audience. I hear what you are saying but you can't always tell.

ArbitraryWater
09-25-2014, 03:32 PM
I dont see how this is even close to libel. He says "I think he is lying" as part of the conversation. Hes entitled to his opinion. As I understand it, part of proving libel is proving that it is malicious. And I dont think you could here.

Definitely.. Screw ESPN

Bill should do his shit on his own.

Was just saying in general..

gts
09-25-2014, 03:33 PM

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Goodell...

I think it has to do with the language and challenging the ESPN brass to do something about it.. the whole thing reads like he's been warned in the past about something and decided to push the wrong buttons

Let's not forget this is all Disney owned and they watch everything and their long arms reach into every nook and cranny and has billions of dollars involved. Simmons is just a cog in a very large gear

Burgz V2
09-25-2014, 04:10 PM
I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Goodell...

I think it has to do with the language and challenging the ESPN brass to do something about it.. the whole thing reads like he's been warned in the past about something and decided to push the wrong buttons

Let's not forget this is all Disney owned and they watch everything and their long arms reach into every nook and cranny and has billions of dollars involved. Simmons is just a cog in a very large gear

this.

people are comparing this to past suspensions that ESPN has made, but this one sets a dangerous precedent for ESPN that the others only pale in comparison to. He OPENLY challenged them to punish him. Aside from his past run-ins, publicized or not, he probably would have gotten a lighter punishment had he not tried to push the envelope.

This may end up benefitting both Simmons and ESPN in the end. They won't fire him, they'd be stupid to even think about it. Grantland is the only part of ESPN that still holds any shred of respect in the sports world. The readership may explode because of this controversy and ESPN may win in the end anyways which is sad but likely to happen.