PDA

View Full Version : Eric Bledsoe vs Russell Westbrook

iamgine
09-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Bledsoe: 24 years old

Westbrook: 25 years old

How much better is Russell Westbrook than Eric Bledsoe that we are surprised to see the Suns giving Bledsoe 5 years/70 mil? I mean, we won't be surprised if Westbrook is given 5 years/90 mil. I haven't seen much of Bledsoe but from what I heard he's as athletic as Westbrook and a pretty great defender too with much upside.

Is the surprise all based on his injury history and the guard situation in Phoenix? Or does Bledsoe's skill and potential really doesn't warrant that money?

TheReal Kendall
09-25-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't think he deserves that much and we have too many guards already. I want Dragic to be the future and trade Bledsoe for Monroe or a SG.

Injuries plays a big part in it too.

JimmyMcAdocious
09-25-2014, 12:11 AM
Not sure why Westbrook is the comparison, even when you adjust with the price tag. Like him or not, he's legitimately a superstar talent. You could make an argument that he's the third best player in the entire NBA; ie the best player right beneath two lock HOFers, probably eventual top 20 alltime, generational talents. So he's kind of good.

Assuming the Suns medical staff gave the OK, I have no problems with the contract. Suns were ~65% win team with him, on a sample size of over half a season. That's a 4/5/6 seed in the West last year. On pace with Miami in the East. It only being the first year between him and Dragic, and for Hornacek also. Pretty amazing.

Of course there is probably some worry that it may have been flash in the pan. But I think you take that chance if you are Phoenix. They don't have a Lebron or Durant, or Westbrook for that matter. They won't land one in the FA. And the odds are ever so slim of landing one in the draft. Why not take a chance on a 24 year old player who, record-wise, put your team on the borderline elite? This isn't like signing Rudy Gay to a big contract imo.

Just hope he can stay healthy.

Graviton
09-25-2014, 12:25 AM
Bledsoe will be getting more than...

Rondo
Parker
Lowry
Lawson
Curry
Holiday
Conley
Teague
Kyrie

:biggums:

I don't think he is worth that much, but then again Parsons got a similar contract and Hibbert got a monster deal as well. Nowadays everyone is getting overpayed.

hawksdogsbraves
09-25-2014, 12:29 AM
He got overpaid, but he's a much better player than Hayward or Parsons who got just as much.

I don't know that it was a good decision by the Suns though. You have to think they'll give Dragic big money, and then most of their cap will be tied up in point guards. Don't see that as a championship winning formula.

They'll definitely be fun to watch though.

AboutBuckets
09-25-2014, 12:29 AM
Nowadays everyone is getting overpayed.

This. How many questionable contracts have we seen since the new CBA took into effect? The CBA that was supposed to make owners think twice about throwing around said questionable contracts?

qrich
09-25-2014, 12:35 AM

Rondo
Parker
Lowry
Lawson
Curry
Holiday
Conley
Teague
Kyrie

I don't think he is worth that much, but then again Parsons got a similar contract and Hibbert got a monster deal as well. Nowadays everyone is getting overpayed.

And from that list, the lone guy I'd surefire take over Eric is Curry.

GimmeThat
09-25-2014, 12:40 AM
they signed him while he was healthy right?

while there's nothing to say if this could be compared to a Carlos Boozer signing since he is signed by the same team he is employed under.

something about getting the best talent when its available to you.

something

Graviton
09-25-2014, 12:48 AM
And from that list, the lone guy I'd surefire take over Eric is Curry.
You serious? Kyrie, Rondo, Lowry, Lawson, Conley are all better overall players. One can say Parker is too old, while Teague/Holiday are question marks.

But what exactly is Bledsoe gonna do vs elite teams to help Suns get in the playoffs in the West? His best asset is defense, he is still too raw shooting and scoring wise to be worth that contract. Basically Avery Bradley/Pre-injury Tony Allen with potential.

Smoke117
09-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Eric Bledsoe is going to shut up a lot of people this upcoming season. He's going to stay healthy and average 19-21ppg/5rpg/6apg with his usual stellar defense.

iamgine
09-25-2014, 12:58 AM

Rondo
Parker
Lowry
Lawson
Curry
Holiday
Conley
Teague
Kyrie

That's not the point though. The point is you won't be surprised to see Westbrook, Curry, Kyrie or younger Parker get 5 years/90 mil. Is Bledsoe that much worse than them in skill and potential that him getting 5 years/70 mil is too much money?

G-train
09-25-2014, 01:02 AM
I don't think he deserves that much and we have too many guards already. I want Dragic to be the future and trade Bledsoe for Monroe or a SG.

Injuries plays a big part in it too.

Dragic is 28, the 'future' better be soon.

Graviton
09-25-2014, 01:11 AM
That's not the point though. The point is you won't be surprised to see Westbrook, Curry, Kyrie or younger Parker get 5 years/90 mil. Is Bledsoe that much worse than them in skill and potential that him getting 5 years/70 mil is too much money?
Westbrook already signed an extension, he is locked up til 2017 for 80 million. Still I don't think any PG is worth 15+, including C3, WB, Rose, etc. Their impact will always be limited due to size restrictions. To me its better if 15-25 range is saved for elite big men or once in a lifetime type talents like Lebron/Durant. :confusedshrug:

Issue is Bledsoe is like 6 feet tall but not a super skilled, elite PG like Paul, amazing shooter like Curry, nor a big athletic freak like Westbrook/Rose. He doesn't have a specialty that makes him deadly to defenses. His main strength can be replicated by high energy defensive guards like Allen/Bradley. Not to mention Suns already had a better PG in Dragic, just makes no sense to give that huge contract to Bledsoe. Is he gonna play SG or come off the bench?

iamgine
09-25-2014, 01:15 AM
Westbrook already signed an extension, he is locked up til 2017 for 80 million. Still I don't think any PG is worth 15+, including C3, WB, Rose, etc. Their impact will always be limited due to size restrictions. To me its better if 15-25 range is saved for elite big men or once in a lifetime type talents like Lebron/Durant. :confusedshrug:

Issue is Bledsoe is like 6 feet tall but not a super skilled, elite PG like Paul, amazing shooter like Curry, nor a big athletic freak like Westbrook/Rose. He doesn't have a specialty that makes him deadly to defenses. His main strength can be replicated by high energy defensive guards like Allen/Bradley. Not to mention Suns already had a better PG in Dragic, just makes no sense to give that huge contract to Bledsoe. Is he gonna play SG or come off the bench?
I agree completely that PGs aren't worth it but still we won't be surprised if CP3 or Westbrook get max contract right now.

Thus my question:

Is the surprise all based on his injury history and the guard situation in Phoenix? Or does Bledsoe's skill and potential really doesn't warrant that money?

Graviton
09-25-2014, 01:18 AM
I agree completely that PGs aren't worth it but still we won't be surprised if CP3 or Westbrook get max contract right now.

Thus my question:

To me the surprise is based on the fact they already had Dragic, if he wasn't on the team I wouldn't have any issue. Just seems strange to give him big of a contract, makes me wonder what they will offer the Dragon.

livingby3's
09-25-2014, 01:25 AM

Steve Nash. Not saying Dragic will be even close to the player Nash was, but we've seen players blooming late.

livingby3's
09-25-2014, 01:51 AM

It's his history as a player.

First he's a first time starter last season, and he still hasn't played a complete season to date. Even when healthy, he never posted numbers that might justify his projected value.

Second, during the course of his recovery, Dragic and Green stepped up, and had shown tremendous synergy. Thus the drop-off wasn't all that obvious.

Third, as a point guard, hes not a very good one. A very good player, but his point guard skills are suspects. He can improve, but for now he's not very good running a team. Which is exactly why Suns fans want the organization to keep Dragic.

Last, on a fan stand point, I swear I had given up on the thoughts that Phoenix will go after Bledsoe after reports of their wasted relationship. Besides, they had signed IT n the development of Ennis and Goodwin, they are stacked at guards. They have more obvious holes they should have filled.

But the Suns are my team, though I'm not entirely satisfied with this signing, I hope good things follow and the team can do well. They signed him to a long term deal almost totally based on his potential.

wally_world
09-25-2014, 04:35 AM
I like it. 70 seems alot more than 48 but really it's just 2mil more per season. I feel we should move Green when his value is still high tho. I love him as a player, and when he got signed he said he wants to stay a Sun for a long time, but we are already loaded on the perimeter. If we can get a good big in return for him + Ennis, Len or something, we can become a really good team.

chips93
09-25-2014, 05:41 AM

Rondo
Parker
Lowry
Lawson
Curry
Holiday
Conley
Teague
Kyrie

werent you a westbrook/okc fan?

masonanddixon
09-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Nash won his first MVP at 30, and had one of his finest seasons at 37.

Mass Debator
09-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Westbrook is like 2-3 inches better

senelcoolidge
09-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Bledsoe can't even run an offense. He's improved a little in that regard but he's still at back up PG status. He's an undersized very athletic combo guard.

el gringos
09-25-2014, 02:15 PM
You serious? Kyrie, Rondo, Lowry, Lawson, Conley are all better overall players. One can say Parker is too old, while Teague/Holiday are question marks.

But what exactly is Bledsoe gonna do vs elite teams to help Suns get in the playoffs in the West? His best asset is defense, he is still too raw shooting and scoring wise to be worth that contract. Basically Avery Bradley/Pre-injury Tony Allen with potential.
Rondo? Sure WAS. You didn't see him play last year

Lawson- hahahahaha

Never mind. Too much to finish

dannywpt
09-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Why compare these players and their contracts?

Westbrook is the kind of player that all 30 teams would give a max contract without as much as blinking. Half of those teams would basically trade their entire roster for him too.