PDA

View Full Version : Cop Shoots Black Man Reaching For His Wallet

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-25-2014, 11:22 AM
WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO (http://www.wistv.com/clip/10620673/warning-graphic-dash-cam-video-released-in-trooper-involved-shooting)

Edit: Read that the cop has been fired and was arrested on Wednesday; the "suspect" was pulled over for a seat belt violation.

NumberSix
09-25-2014, 11:28 AM
What in the fcuk? He says "can I see your license" when the guy reaches to grab it, he starts shooting? :wtf:

What the hell was the poor guy supposed to do? Say "no. I don't want to risk getting shot if I reach for it"?

Un-fcuking-believable.

I know I'm the guy who usually gives the benefit of the doubt, but this is inexcusable. This guy needs to lose his job at the very least. He obviously doesn't have the mental capacity to be trusted with such power.

Warfan
09-25-2014, 11:34 AM
:biggums: What a fukking dipshit

NumberSix
09-25-2014, 11:37 AM
I hope this guy gets a HUGE settlement. This fcuking idiot shot him for no damn reason.

NumberSix
09-25-2014, 11:39 AM
What the hell was this guy being asked for I.D. for in the first place?

gts
09-25-2014, 11:41 AM
What the hell was this guy being asked for I.D. for in the first place?

Traffic stop

rufuspaul
09-25-2014, 11:44 AM
The shooting is inexcusable. Still, if you get pulled over you need to follow some simple rules:

1. Stay in your vehicle.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Turn off music.
4. Roll down driver's side window.
5. If it's dark, turn on interior lights.
6. Place both hands on the steering wheel. When the officer asks for license and registration tell him/her what you're going to do, "I'm getting my registration out of the glove box", and move slowly.
7. If at all possible, try and be white.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-25-2014, 11:48 AM
The shooting is inexcusable. Still, if you get pulled over you need to follow some simple rules:

1. Stay in your vehicle.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Turn off music.
6. Place both hands on the steering wheel. When the officer asks for license and registration tell him/her what you're going to do, "I'm getting my registration out of the glove box", and move slowly.

Well, the guy was already stepping out of his vehicle to go inside the gas station. He didn't even know he was being pulled over.
The stupid cop asked the guy for his license; hence you can see the driver feel around his pocket for it and realize it's in the car.
Once the dude reaches back into his car, the officer goes into immediate "shoot now, worry of consequences later" mode.

This shit is beyond stupid. And the cop is only facing assault charges, btw, guys.

I wonder how the racists of ISH will justify this one. There are people on other sites, like Reddit, trying to defend the cop's actions. :facepalm

rufuspaul
09-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Well, the guy was already stepping out of his vehicle to go inside the gas station. He didn't even know he was being pulled over.
The stupid cop asked the guy for his license; hence you can see the driver feel around his pocket for it and realize it's in the car.
Once the dude reaches back into his car, the officer goes into immediate "shoot now, worry of consequences later" mode.

This shit is beyond stupid. And the cop is only facing assault charges, btw, guys.

I wonder how the racists of ISH will justify this one. There are people on other sites, like Reddit, trying to defend the cop's actions. :facepalm

The guy obviously didn't follow Rule #7.

Kungfro
09-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Wow what a lunatic. There was no hesitation in pulling out his gun and shooting. At least the guy should be ok, and the cop was charged with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. Could face 20 years if convicted.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Damn. Just glad this man didn't die. Imagine if there were no cameras and this goofy cop claimed dude was going for a weapon? Who would've the courts given the benefit of the doubt to?

Shade8780
09-25-2014, 12:07 PM
**** that guy.

Nice to know police don't even need guns over here. Most aren't absolute dipshits like him.

ROCSteady
09-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Protect and serve, that nicca prolly pay his taxes.

That's abhorrent service

DonDadda59
09-25-2014, 12:32 PM
God help this man if there's a picture of him on social media where he's giving the camera the finger. Damn thug deserved it :mad:

J.101
09-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Wow what a crazy video I don't understand all the shots too. Luckily for this bloke the cop couldn't shoot. If he reacts like that on a seatbelt violation i'd hate to see him when shit really goes down in a suicidal/hostage type situation.

Jailblazers7
09-25-2014, 12:54 PM

1. Stay in your vehicle.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Turn off music.

I get nervous these days when I get pulled over because my window has been busted for a while so I have to wait for the cop to come to my window and yell that my window doesn't work. Instead of rolling it down I have to open my door which I'm sure is a bit unsettling for some cops. Luckily I am an non-threatening 20something white guy.

StephHamann
09-25-2014, 01:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt6kKhlX8vU

2LeTTeRS
09-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Does not surprise me that this happened down in Columbia, SC. I spent 3 years down there in grad school, and can say that the racism down there in the outskirts of the city is alarming.

dude77
09-25-2014, 01:16 PM
totally indefensible .. paranoid cop ..

I don't see anything there that warranted such a response .. and the guy was getting out of the car already before he was stopped .. then the cop asks the guy for his license so the guy then turns around and leans inside his car which you are to presume is the get the fkn license but the cop gets paranoid and thinks he's going for a gun ? lol iraq war veteran ? :facepalm .. get this paranoid fker off the force before he finishes the job on someone else(if he doesn't get charged/convicted that is)

NumberSix
09-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Does not surprise me that this happened down in Columbia, SC. I spent 3 years down there in grad school, and can say that the racism down there in the outskirts of the city is alarming.
Wait, why are we assuming that racism has anything to do with this?

RoundMoundOfReb
09-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Does anybody actually feel safer while around cops? What a moron...

navy
09-25-2014, 01:45 PM
If the guy had died:
1. cop gets no jail time
2. evidence gets destroyed
3. black people protest
4. cop says he was a threat
5 . the news posts his facebook pics and claims he was a thug
6. white people lose sympathy
7. case is done

bballnoob1192
09-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Damn. Just glad this man didn't die. Imagine if there were no cameras and this goofy cop claimed dude was going for a weapon? Who would've the courts given the benefit of the doubt to?
this is why cop dashboard cam should be mandatory. keeps both sides honest and responsible.

LBJ 23
09-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Police officer released 4 shots. Anyone with more info how many times the guy's been hit and where? It was at very close distance so I doubt there were many missess. That poor guy apologizing on the ground sounds almost like it's nothing and he's been shot probably 2-3 times?

ace23
09-25-2014, 02:14 PM
:facepalm

Smoke117
09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Oh god...another one of these threads. :facepalm

Baller1986
09-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Driving while Black.

NuggetsFan
09-25-2014, 03:08 PM
God help this man if there's a picture of him on social media where he's giving the camera the finger. Damn thug deserved it :mad:

Kinda shitty for this guy to be even compared to those other situations, even if the skin color is the same. This guy literally did nothing. That cop has to have some kinda mental issues, been shook on the job etc. He deserves to go away for a long time for that.

Cop keeps shooting even when it's clear he doesn't have a weapon and he's not aggressive at all. That's a situation that could have happened to any black person. Trayvon/Brown not so much.

NumberSix
09-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Kinda shitty for this guy to be even compared to those other situations, even if the skin color is the same. This guy literally did nothing. That cop has to have some kinda mental issues, been shook on the job etc. He deserves to go away for a long time for that.

Cop keeps shooting even when it's clear he doesn't have a weapon and he's not aggressive at all. That's a situation that could have happened to any black person. Trayvon/Brown not so much.
That cop is such an idiot. Did he honestly think after he asked the guy to grab his license, that the guy then was reaching in his car to grab a machine gun or something? I mean, it's POSSIBLE, but it's such a wildly unlikely scenario. Any rational person after asking a guy to grab his license would assume he's grabbing his license.

JEFFERSON MONEY
09-25-2014, 03:27 PM

1. Stay in your vehicle.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Turn off music.

:roll: :roll: I got a nice story for this one.

bigkingsfan
09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Don't give them a reason to shoot you.

NuggetsFan
09-25-2014, 03:30 PM
That cop is such an idiot. Did he honestly think after he asked the guy to grab his license, that the guy then was reaching in his car to grab a machine gun or something? I mean, it's POSSIBLE, but it's such a wildly unlikely scenario. Any rational person after asking a guy to grab his license would assume he's grabbing his license.

In some cases I can understand why cop get a little crazy. It's wrong and they should understand the risk of being a police officer but with all the shit that happens in the world I'd rather not get my head blown off when I approach a car. People are huge ***** to cops too. Even if it's justified never a good idea.

This tho, that guy wasn't aggressive at all. Didn't do anything. He probably shouldn't have been reaching but all the cop had to do was ask him to stop and give him a chance. Instead he went for the kill for no reason. I won't be shocked if you find out something happened in his personal life, has mental health problems, something has happened previously at work etc. Not even a racist person does shit like that.

ace23
09-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Don't give them a reason to shoot you.
2/10

NumberSix
09-25-2014, 03:38 PM
In some cases I can understand why cop get a little crazy. It's wrong and they should understand the risk of being a police officer but with all the shit that happens in the world I'd rather not get my head blown off when I approach a car. People are huge ***** to cops too. Even if it's justified never a good idea.

This tho, that guy wasn't aggressive at all. Didn't do anything. He probably shouldn't have been reaching but all the cop had to do was ask him to stop and give him a chance. Instead he went for the kill for no reason. I won't be shocked if you find out something happened in his personal life, has mental health problems, something has happened previously at work etc. Not even a racist person does shit like that.
I would guess that the cop in the split second it happened immediately had his alarms go off when he saw a black guy reaching into his car. Not that he's "racist" but he subconsciously viewed a black guy as an inherent danger.

9erempiree
09-25-2014, 03:56 PM
It sucks that he got shot but he did made a sudden drastic move to the car. He first touched his pocket and then made a quick sudden move to reach for something in the car.

If we were the officer we would be suspicious and scared too.

Also, this isn't a black or white thing. Just a cop fearing for his life.

9erempiree
09-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Also, this is not about race and the media is playing it up as a race thing.:facepalm

This is madness. This is what black Americans have to live with day to day. And the supreme court says that racism is over. My God!!!

being a black man in Amerikkka is not no damned picnic. i was safer on modern battlefields when i served in the 82nd Airborne. Ateast I had a damned gun and someone on my side. this America is a tough deal to swallow when you are an All American in uniform... but just some dirty nikka to whites when out of uniform.

Wow, black people must be so scary to white folk, and I am white and this sucks.

Here we go again. Why can't it be another officer shooting. MSNBC reporting it as a "white cop shoots black man." We will see a bunch of blacks exploit this situation.

SunsN07BookIt
09-25-2014, 04:24 PM
What this cop did is indefensible but racism? How do we know that yet?

Dozens of blacks killed by cops every year = racism

An huge statistical inequality in black on white interracial murder, assault and especially rape(as high as 1000 to 1) in the US = no racism

dude77
09-25-2014, 04:29 PM
What this cop did is indefensible but racism? How do we know that yet?

Dozens of blacks killed by cops every year = racism

An huge statistical inequality in black on white interracial murder, assault and especially rape(as high as 1000 to 1) in the US = no racism

lol there you go ..

pure speculation if this was about race .. looks more like just a paranoid cop .. cops don't just pick on blacks .. they have a power trip for anyone .. I mean they don't have a problem manhandling little old white ladies ffs

32jazz
09-25-2014, 04:55 PM
I would guess that the cop in the split second it happened immediately had his alarms go off when he saw a black guy reaching into his car. Not that he's "racist" but he subconsciously viewed a black guy as an inherent danger.

This is exactly why I always tell a potentially trigger happy cop ,before reaching for anything that is out of sight;

"My registration/ insurance is the glove compartment"etc........

I would have said 'my license is in or on my armrest/on my seat",etc..... But in no way am I blaming the victim-

At worst the cop could have asked the man to see his hands if he was that damn terrified. Instead he shoots the guy in the hip while his back is turned & then when the victim raises his hands above his head he was shot at twice more:facepalm

He doesn't have the nerve to be a cop obviously.

Smoke117
09-25-2014, 05:07 PM
If the guy had died:
1. cop gets no jail time
2. evidence gets destroyed
3. black people riot
4. cop says he was a threat
5 . the news posts his facebook pics and claims he was a thug
6. white people lose sympathy
7. case is done

Fixed.

Burgz V2
09-25-2014, 06:45 PM

1. Stay in your vehicle.
2. Turn off the engine.
3. Turn off music.

did you even watch the video? what the **** does any of this have to do with what happened in the video?

#number6ix#
09-25-2014, 06:52 PM
The cop was shook... Pvssies shouldn't do a mans job

Rake2204
09-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm trying to rationalize it, like how could the cops mind go from traffic stop to thinking his life was in danger and opening fire. I see the black guy turned quickly in his car but that doesn't mean you open fire. Keep your gun up sure, until you can assess the situation. But this cop just instantly started shooting the second the guy went into his car
I agree. While the cop is the trained one for these situations, you have to take some responsibility yourself in order to be safe. These cops see the craziest shittiest people of society on a daily basis. If you gotta deal with the cops, I wouldn't aggressively turn into my car and turn back around just as fast like this guy did. The guidelines you listed aren't to kiss the cops ass, it's to ensure your own safety and make things clear you aren't looking for trouble. Still, this cop made a huge mistake and I can only describe him as a dude with little man syndrome opening fire so hastily like that. Needs to go to jail and get a reality checkI think you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. I could agree the guy leaned back into his car a little too enthusiastically but that obviously does absolutely nothing in terms of warranting that kind of response.

Quizno
09-25-2014, 07:11 PM
you guys are ****ing morons if you think this had nothing to do with race. now i don't think the cop went out there thinking "hey let's go out and shoot some black people today" but the cop was definitely more on edge because he was pulling over a black guy. he had all these preconceived notions about how black people act and those notions primed him to be more defensive than he would around the white person. if it were a normal, middle aged white dude who went back into his car to grab his wallet i seriously doubt the cop would have reacted the same way

straight up in denial if you think this had nothing to do with race :facepalm

RoseCity07
09-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Someone please shoot that cop in the head. I'm done with this sh*t. 0 tolerance anymore. We need to take cops that do this kind of thing behind a shed and put a bullet in their heads. That's it. They think they have a license to murder.

zoom17
09-25-2014, 07:15 PM
http://i.gyazo.com/e72569ba0ece5877bbd1dbe69887047d.png

Trigger-happy Sean Groubert.

NumberSix
09-25-2014, 07:29 PM
you guys are ****ing morons if you think this had nothing to do with race. now i don't think the cop went out there thinking "hey let's go out and shoot some black people today" but the cop was definitely more on edge because he was pulling over a black guy. he had all these preconceived notions about how black people act and those notions primed him to be more defensive than he would around the white person. if it were a normal, middle aged white dude who went back into his car to grab his wallet i seriously doubt the cop would have reacted the same way

straight up in denial if you think this had nothing to do with race :facepalm
Although that is my personal opinion that that is what happened, stop acting it is a known fact. It's entirely possible that this idiot just got freaked out like "omg what the fcuk is the guy reaching for!" Without race being any factor at all.

This is the problem that people have. When a black person gets shot, suddenly everybody has the ability to read the shooters mind.

Even in cases where there are no witnesses and no evidence whatsoever has been released yet, People still pull this nonsense. It's my opinion that race was a factor but I'm not gonna sit here and declare it to be a fact. I have no clue what he was actually thinking in that moment consciously or subconsciously.

oh the horror
09-25-2014, 07:35 PM
Regardless I'm glad this officer lost his job. It doesn't matter about the ethnicity of those involved. This officer is unfit to handle a routine traffic stop.

He asks for a license and the guy goes for it in the car.

In this day and age you'd better be careful not to sneeze around these guys. You might get your damn head blown off

Godzuki
09-25-2014, 07:46 PM
damn yo, thats some fukked up shit :facepalm

thats one dumbass cop. i'm sure they're going to get generalized for this but i don't think most cops are nearly as dumb and paranoid as this mf'er is. u can tell he's scared as fukk on his job. hope this black guy makes millions, he deserves it more than rodney king ever did :cheers:

MadeFromDust
09-25-2014, 10:25 PM
WARNING: GRAPHIC VIDEO (http://www.wistv.com/clip/10620673/warning-graphic-dash-cam-video-released-in-trooper-involved-shooting)

Edit: Read that the cop has been fired and was arrested on Wednesday; the "suspect" was pulled over for a seat belt violation.
gee whiz, they give these idiots guns?

Glad he's losing his job, but I don't think he should be prosecuted for felony assualt with a weapon or whatever it is. The thin blue line has failed him to bring up those charges. He was a nervous wet behind the ears cop who failed to see the connection between the commands he gave (give me your license) and the actions that the victim took (reached in to get his license) and panicked when he realized the vic could possibly be reaching for a gun. At that point the bonehead cop panicked and realized he lost control of the situation.

So, firing and removal of any guns from this day forward from the idiot, but not criminal prosecution for assault. I would agree with criminal neglegence MAYBE, but even that is questionable given that he appeared to be acting according to standard police practice before the shooting and then panicked in fear for his life on the job. That says a LOT given that I am totally opposed to police brutality and abusive cops. I just think the actions against bonehead should be fair, not overboard.

Sue his ass personally all you want though. There is something wrong with the system when taxpayers have to foot the bill for a police brutality lawsuit, instead of the abusers with badges themselves. Each of those thugs with badges should be PERSONALLY liable for their thuggish behavior and let's see if they're willing to continue with the violations of civil rights. Let the families sue and extract damages from the cops themselves. Heck, let's make the cops obtain liability insurance just for that purpose. That would work too. They act up, insurance company pays out, cop's premiums go up.IF they're so bad then the insurance company can refuse to cover them any more and then it would come out of their own pockets. THAT could put a stop to it!

NumberSix
09-25-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm sure by strict letter of the law, that guy quickly turning around and reaching into his car for something gives the officer some kind "reasonable suspicion" something or other, but come on. You gotta use some kind of judgement. I'm not saying it's impossible that somebody could be going for a weapon in that situation, but that seems like an unlikely extreme to me.

ThePhantomCreep
09-26-2014, 02:12 AM
It sucks that he got shot but he did made a sudden drastic move to the car. He first touched his pocket and then made a quick sudden move to reach for something in the car.

If we were the officer we would be suspicious and scared too.

Also, this isn't a black or white thing. Just a cop fearing for his life.

Don't you get tired of this contrarian shtick? Even the more conservative posters on this board think this cop is in the wrong. A lunatic who needs to be locked up.

MavsSuperFan
09-26-2014, 02:22 AM
That cop should be charged with attempted murder.

The guy should sue the state, his injuries deserve compensation. Hit the state where it hurts, the wallet.

That cop should see jail time. He is lucky the guy didnt die

PHX_Phan
09-26-2014, 04:03 AM
Lol did anyone else catch where, after the guy asks why he shot him, he responds with:

"Well you dove your head back into your car, then you jump back out when I'm telling you to get out of the car" :applause: :facepalm

Gives him two orders, he follows both and gets shot anyway. Lose lose situation for the victim.

97 bulls
09-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Im trying to figure out why he was even pulled over. For a seatbelt violation? It looks as if he was already in the service station.

NumberSix
09-26-2014, 10:22 AM
It is impossible to determine what was going through the cops mind. Usually I stand by (as a member of law enforcement) the it's incredibly hard to determine what someone will do next, and what do I really see. If the man came out of his truck turning with his wallet and the cop thought he saw a gun pointed at him, I'd be more inclined to want to defend the cop.

It's my opinion that this officer was scared and unfit for his job. He states "you dove in head first and jumped out", but that officer started shooting before the man ever started turning around as he was giving him orders. Then you have the hands up as he's away from the truck and still two more shots go off.

Sometimes law enforcement will play the "what if" game and are even encouraged to do so by training staff and superiors. The problem here is you have someone who was all to ready for "the big moment". You have to read and react to a situation in a fraction of a second, and it is hard, but you have to be so careful. I've done training simulators where a lady pulls a baby out of a bag, and you think it's going to be a gun but it isn't and you shoot her and then you go over the scenario, then you see the same set up and this time the lady pulls an automatic weapon out and you don't shoot...

This is real life though, and this officer was incredibly wrong not only how he perceived the situation but with how he reacted to it. He was all to ready to use his weapon, and it's going to cost him a lot. This will no doubt be used by every police/law enforcement academy as an example of what not to do and what can happen..
If you're in law enforcement, I have a question for you....

If you encounter a driver who is already outside of his car, isn't it procedure to first ask the person to move away from the vehicle? I would imagine that once the guy is moved away from the vehicle, when you ask him for his license, the first thing he will do is say "Oh, it's in the car". Then you can monitor him reaching into the car and there's no question about what he's doing.

97 bulls
09-26-2014, 10:35 AM
If the man came out of his truck turning with his wallet and the cop thought he saw a gun pointed at him, I'd be more inclined to want to defend the cop.*
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read. We're talking about lives here. What if he killed this man on a hunch? A wrong one. You can't give this man his life back by saying "my bad, here's your life back".

Perhaps law enforcement needs to change the protocols for routine traffic stops.

And we need to mandate that all police officers have cameras in their cruisers.

Nick Young
09-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Why are cops always so eager to start shooting? It must be that people who want to be cops are power trippers. If I had a gun I'd be afraid to use it, but these guys are taking lives like its nothing.

MavsSuperFan
09-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Why are cops always so eager to start shooting? It must be that people who want to be cops are power trippers. If I had a gun I'd be afraid to use it, but these guys are taking lives like its nothing.
Honestly in this case it is fear that caused this IMO.
I watch that video and I see a cop that is very fearful. He automatically assumed the guy was reaching for a gun when he went back to grab his wallet from his car. Maybe he would be just as scared of a white or asian man who reached back into his car, but i personally dont think so.

If I had a gun I'd be afraid to use it
Fear makes violence more likely IMO. Eg. people that shoot things they assume is a home intruder. Human nature when scared is either to fight or run, and sometimes you dont think your athletic enough to out run a threat.

I wonder if this situation would have been different if the cop was in military/SWAT style full body armor. Maybe he would have been less afraid, IDK.

PHX_Phan
09-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Maybe my views are extreme on this, but I'm of the thinking that all this 'one of us is going home' mentality is pretty ridiculous for police officers to have and it leads to all sorts of quick pulls of the trigger.

Safety for the officer should never compromise the safety of the people they are supposedly protecting and serving. I understand these guys need to stay as safe as they can, but at the end of the day being a police officer is supposed to be a dangerous job and you take on the risk to become one. Tired of seeing people get shot by cops only to go with the classic 'well, I thought he was reaching for a gun and it was going to be him or me'. Well, sorry to say, but if the person was innocent then it should have been you.

MavsSuperFan
09-26-2014, 11:48 AM
It is impossible to determine what was going through the cops mind. Usually I stand by (as a member of law enforcement) the it's incredibly hard to determine what someone will do next, and what do I really see. If the man came out of his truck turning with his wallet and the cop thought he saw a gun pointed at him, I'd be more inclined to want to defend the cop.

It's my opinion that this officer was scared and unfit for his job. He states "you dove in head first and jumped out", but that officer started shooting before the man ever started turning around as he was giving him orders. Then you have the hands up as he's away from the truck and still two more shots go off.

Sometimes law enforcement will play the "what if" game and are even encouraged to do so by training staff and superiors. The problem here is you have someone who was all to ready for "the big moment". You have to read and react to a situation in a fraction of a second, and it is hard, but you have to be so careful. I've done training simulators where a lady pulls a baby out of a bag, and you think it's going to be a gun but it isn't and you shoot her and then you go over the scenario, then you see the same set up and this time the lady pulls an automatic weapon out and you don't shoot...

This is real life though, and this officer was incredibly wrong not only how he perceived the situation but with how he reacted to it. He was all to ready to use his weapon, and it's going to cost him a lot. This will no doubt be used by every police/law enforcement academy as an example of what not to do and what can happen..

I agree with you that in this case the cop's fear is what caused this situation.
It makes me wonder how many situations like this (eg. where cops think a weapon is about to be pulled, when no weapon is present on the suspect) could be avoided if things were done to reduce the fear cops have.

Do you think this situation would have been different if the cop was in full body armor?
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/interceptor-deltoid-image1.jpg
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac77/paladiner/GIGN.jpg
For example.

IDK, maybe it would cause more problems than it would fix, but I think it would make cops less scared and the less scared a person is the more rational their decision making.

97 bulls
09-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Perhaps it's not worded properly, but again, we're talking about the fraction of a second to make a decision. If it's you or the cop going home and that's how the cop truly feels in that situation, I guarantee you that cop will say it's him over you. What I was getting at was, if the cop made the mistake to shoot someone who at least looked like he was grabbing for a weapon and pointing it at him, then yes, I'd want to say.. that sucks, what a tough call to have to make in that amount of time.. because if it is a weapon and it's pointed at the officer, 100% chance it gets used against that officer. Furthermore, in regards to this scenario, if it was a wallet (or anything) and the cop shot and killed him, (maybe "want to defend him" isn't the best way to describe it, but my heart would go out to him, as well the victim.) that would be awful, you're right you can't give back a life. And I do think the cop should be suspended/fired/charged/arrested/convicted etc...
Fair enough. Then do you have a suggestion as to how a typical traffic stop can happen and be safe for BOTH SIDES?

Rake2204
09-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Fair enough. Then do you have a suggestion as to how a typical traffic stop can happen and be safe for BOTH SIDES?For me, I follow a lot of what was mentioned by rufuspaul on page 1. As a civilian, I operate as if the officer is suspicious of my actions, because he doesn't know me and he does not know my intent. If pulled over, I keep my hands on the wheel, roll down my window, and turn my car off (obviously including music). If my license and registration is not on me, but in another part of the car, I am certain to mention that calmly and reach for the material in a normal manner only when given the go-ahead.

In the specific situation discussed in this particular thread, the best I could have done, if I honestly had zero idea that there was a cop behind me with his lights on, looking to pull me over as I entered the gas station, would have been to slowly retrieve my license once it had been properly established that it was in my car.

But to be honest, just because this guy was a little more excitable than normal, it does not excuse the officer's actions. But that's also part of the reason why I am very cautious in these events, so as to prevent both logical and illogical responses that could create a bad situation. Most cops I've come across handled their business admirably. But out of at least 600,000 officers across the United States, that certainly will not always be the case. Not by far.

I have an 18 year old younger brother who gets very excitable and his actions accelerate in tight situations. I could totally see him not thinking about how calm he should try to be, semi-lunging for his wallet without realizing how it may appear to an officer. Right or wrong, I think that's why it's important to try to put oneself in the officer's shoes, for one's own well being.

MavsSuperFan
09-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Fair enough. Then do you have a suggestion as to how a typical traffic stop can happen and be safe for BOTH SIDES?
This video really was sad. the black guy followed instructions and still got shot.

The cop asked him to go get his licence. He reached for his wallet. Cop assumed he was reaching for a gun.
The only thing that comes to mind is making the cops feel safer. Cop in this case reacted out of fear. Maybe if he had on more body armor he would have felt safer and behaved more logically, IDK

jstern
09-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Those types of shooting are the ones that get me the worst. When a person is mining their business, going about another day in their life and then they're shot or killed by some BS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1OgdMZwQug

AlphaWolf24
09-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Jones suffered an injury to his hip. His attorney said Jones is recovering after a stay in the hospital.

Dude took 2 - 3 shots in the torso/Hip....

Hopefully he makes a full recovery....hopefully he gets Millions upon Millions

Smoke117
09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
On a side note...that Cop is an awful shot. How can you miss the kill shot from that distance? Police Officers are trained to mortally wound after they pull their guns. This guy fired off four shots and wasn't even close to the heart.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-26-2014, 03:03 PM
On a side note...that Cop is an awful shot. How can you miss the kill shot from that distance? Police Officers are trained to mortally wound after they pull their guns. This guy fired off four shots and wasn't even close to the heart.

It's easier shooting at dummies on a training field than shooting at a perceived "threat."

I'm glad he was a bad shot. If this man had died, this cop would've just been left to his own devices, maybe given a paid suspension, retrained for a week or two and sent back out on the streets to protect & serve the public.

MadeFromDust
09-27-2014, 12:51 PM
This video really was sad. the black guy followed instructions and still got shot.

The cop asked him to go get his licence. He reached for his wallet. Cop assumed he was reaching for a gun.
The only thing that comes to mind is making the cops feel safer. Cop in this case reacted out of fear. Maybe if he had on more body armor he would have felt safer and behaved more logically, IDK
Maybe the cops need to grow some balls instead of being scared little putskies. Or how about this...let people go about their business and leave them alone unless you see them harming or threatening to harm someone?