PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 guys you've seen against double teams?

fpliii
09-25-2014, 08:15 PM
:confusedshrug:

G-train
09-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Shaq and Olajuwon are my top 2.

RoundMoundOfReb
09-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Active or all time?

MP.Trey
09-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Started watching 2000.

Probably:
Shaq
Duncan
LeBron

Then it gets iffy. Probably Chris Webber. Maybe Garnett. Maybe Kobe/AI but in in untraditional ways, Kobe would shoot over top and Iverson would split the double fantastically.

La Frescobaldi
09-25-2014, 08:28 PM
By era......... but tbh I prolly couldn't move it around too much by #1 #2 etc. That I've seen........

Chamberlain
Bob McAdoo
Jabbar
Jordan
Bryant

Honorable mentions might be Shaq, who might be/is there ahead of Kobe..... Adrian Dantley, Mitch Richmond (!) Horace Grant (!!).... but of course my current HM has to be Kevin Love who is literally unstoppable within 10 feet regardless of what they throw at that dude.

G0ATbe
09-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Godbe
Durant

HOoopCityJones
09-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Kobe

FatComputerNerd
09-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Price was one of the best ever at splitting the double.

RoundMoundOfReb
09-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Price was one of the best ever at splitting the double.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo
So is Dwyane Wade.

Among active players it has to be Lebron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkH8W3OGgHQ

fpliii
09-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Active or all time?
Both, just any guy you've seen live.

Natureland
09-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Meh I'll just do Top 3. No order really on either of these.

Seen/actually experienced as their careers took place:
LeBron
Shaq
Duncan

Watched from tape:
'93-'95 Hakeem
Kareem
MJ

So is Dwyane Wade.

Among active players it has to be Lebron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkH8W3OGgHQ
Ugh. The logic behind these double teams during this game still makes me want to shoot myself sometimes. :banghead:

PHILA
09-25-2014, 09:58 PM
In the low post it would be Barkley. Nobody aside from perhaps Bird was as effective at passing under pressure, maybe because he was confident he could bust through most double teams and carry them right to the rim where he was finishing at over an 80% clip.

In the first link below we can see a behind the back wrap around pass to Gilliam. We can also hear Pippen telling Perdue to go double Barkley, "Go Will, Go Will", as he is ready to pick up Gilliam but not before the pass is out of Barkley's hands, since then he could also hit Pippen's man Ron Anderson at the top of the key for a jump shot. Pippen knows both players are only one pass away to Barkley out of the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZtD0lej4Zc&t=3m40s

One of the many ineffective Pippen/Grant double teams against Barkley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn5ohliJRcc&t=4m48s

Right through Grant's legs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsTKc_AKSlU&t=3m35s

Takes Perdue & Grant to the rim from 18 feet out with tremendous ease

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsTKc_AKSlU&t=8m5s

Looks to hit Ruland in heavy traffic, who wasn't expecting it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkAoHTHzaOk&t=5m6s

Below we can see how muscles Pippen and Levingston (2nd video) nearly off the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkAoHTHzaOk&t=3m57s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZtD0lej4Zc&t=10m44s

Sports Illustrated - February 10, 1997

Toughest To Double-team?

The Rockets, though, had the clear edge at dishing off under pressure. According to the pollees, Barkley relies on his experience to make sound snap decisions, while the 7-foot Olajuwon's athleticism enables him to be the best at negating a double team. And, says one coach, "he has the rings to prove it."

Pushxx
09-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Shaq, Barkley, and Bird always stuck out in my mind.

Round Mound
09-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Prime Barkley...By Far

LAZERUSS
09-25-2014, 11:15 PM
Chamberlain, Kareem, Shaq, McAdoo, and Barkley.

G-train
09-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Prime Barkley...By Far

lol of course

SHAQisGOAT
09-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Probably Shaq, Kareem, Barkley and MJ. I'm gonna say Wilt too even if there's not much from him out there when compared to those other players.

Shaq, Kareem and even Barkley were bigs that would murder you in the paint, and even though they were great passers they weren't, say, elite (like the best PG's) and you had to live with it.
Jordan also too much a beast of a scorer to be contained 1on1, the majority of times.

You also got dudes like Bird or even Magic that "demanded" double teams lots of times, Larry when he got it going from the outside or when he was killing a smaller player down low and Johnson when he took the opponent's PG (usually smaller) to the post or even when drove down the lane... but, most of the time, teams just stopped it because they would completely pick them apart with their passing.

oarabbus
09-26-2014, 12:13 AM
Godbe
Durant

Unless that double team consists of one guy named Chris Paul :roll:

pauk
09-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Magic
Bird
Jordan
Kobe
Lebron

(not seen enough of prime West, Julius, Oscar, Kareem, Wilt etc.)

Just the highest combination of basketball IQ & skill arsenal from anywhere (scoring/passing) to make you pay, if there is 2 defenders on you that means 1 teammate of yours is wideopen, they would lazerbeam you with crosscourt passes right into the shooting pocket (Magic/Lebron/Bird) or sometimes they would just hit a shot on both of those defenders faces instead (Bird/Jordan/Kobe/Lebron) or use athleticism with post moves/fakes to drive in the paint anyways (Jordan/Kobe/Lebron)....

kshutts1
09-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Not a guy, but Jenna Jameson?

Pointguard
09-26-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm with Pauk. Magic would beat you the second you did something wrong with double. His timing was impeccable in dismantling the defenses mistakes. His understanding of floor balance was great.

Jordan's attack and game film understanding of the defense was always a joy to watch.
The Mamba is the same.

Bird his keen eye exploited the defense and made them vulnerable to jump shot or cutting teammates.

From the post. Wilt, Walton, Shaq and Hakeem.

ralph_i_el
09-26-2014, 01:37 PM
He best guys against double teams are the ones that don't get doubles thrown at them because they'll beat it with the pass nearly every time.

CP3 and Tony Parker come to mind. The weakest the spurs looked this post season was when the Mavs were playing man on TP.

Not that the other guys in this thread weren't good at beating doubles, but teams wouldn't throw doubles at a guy if their research didn't suggest that a double in whatever situation is the best play.

Its like in the NFL, the best corners are the ones that don't get thrown at.

Edit: Kevin Love saw a ton of doubles last year because he had one shooter on his whole roster. He did some straight up crazy stuff to beat double teams.

ArbitraryWater
09-26-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't get this...

Kobe is one of the best shooters, greatest mid range shooters, ATG post game, ATG footwork, ATG touch, top 5 against double teams, top 5 most skilled, top 5 best scoring skillset, top 5 off-hand, top 3 tough shot maker, ETC ETC ETC....

He can do ALL this, why does he shoot 45%?

Demitri98
09-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Chamberlain, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Kareem

riseagainst
09-26-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't get this...

Kobe is one of the best shooters, greatest mid range shooters, ATG post game, ATG footwork, ATG touch, top 5 against double teams, top 5 most skilled, top 5 best scoring skillset, top 5 off-hand, top 3 tough shot maker, ETC ETC ETC....

bad shot selection/naive/stubborn

Levity
09-26-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't get this...

Volume shooting + often ill-advised shots. but is a career 25ppg on 45% bad in your honest opinion?

sportjames23
09-26-2014, 02:53 PM
MJ.

I've seen him beat triple-teams quite a few times.

Knoe Itawl
09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Volume shooting + often ill-advised shots. but is a career 25ppg on 45% bad in your honest opinion?

Why does it always have to be either or with some people? I haven't even seen some of the biggest Kobe haters say he's "bad". What they DO say is that when he's being touted as this otherworldly scorer, his efficiency and lack of very high scoring post season games needs to be factored in instead of just saying "81" "62 in 3" over and over again. Indeed it's his ill advised shots, stubbornness, etc. that is THE main thing that his detractors point to as why they don't feel he's as good as his hype. His skill level is certainly near the top of any player to ever play. However, his actual impact overall, isn't IMO.

DatAsh
09-26-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm with Pauk. Magic would beat you the second you did something wrong with double. His timing was impeccable in dismantling the defenses mistakes. His understanding of floor balance was great.

Jordan's attack and game film understanding of the defense was always a joy to watch.
The Mamba is the same.

Bird his keen eye exploited the defense and made them vulnerable to jump shot or cutting teammates.

From the post. Wilt, Walton, Shaq and Hakeem.

Magic is the best I've seen in that respect. He'll always beat you when you double, without fail.

Shaq, Barkley and Wilt are the 3 I would say who's ability to score is least impeded by doubles.

magic chiongson
09-26-2014, 03:10 PM
kobe is the best when it comes to 1-on-3 and above since he's the one who shoots the most in such situations :D

Levity
09-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Why does it always have to be either or with some people? I haven't even seen some of the biggest Kobe haters say he's "bad". What they DO say is that when he's being touted as this otherworldly scorer, his efficiency and lack of very high scoring post season games needs to be factored in instead of just saying "81" "62 in 3" over and over again. Indeed it's his ill advised shots, stubbornness, etc. that is THE main thing that his detractors point to as why they don't feel he's as good as his hype. His skill level is certainly near the top of any player to ever play. However, his actual impact overall, isn't IMO.

haha. alright.

riseagainst
09-26-2014, 03:20 PM

:oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
09-26-2014, 07:43 PM

It doesn't have to be bad..

It's certainly underwhelming to say the least given his natural skill and abilities

Round Mound
09-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Magic is the best I've seen in that respect. He'll always beat you when you double, without fail.

Shaq, Barkley and Wilt are the 3 I would say who's ability to score is least impeded by doubles.

:applause:

Paul George 24
09-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Started watching 2000.

Probably:
Shaq
Duncan
LeBron

Then it gets iffy. Probably Chris Webber. Maybe Garnett. Maybe Kobe/AI but in in untraditional ways, Kobe would shoot over top and Iverson would split the double fantastically.
LOL........................HOW OLD ARE U,KID :lol

MP.Trey
09-26-2014, 08:21 PM
LOL........................HOW OLD ARE U,KID :lol
I'm 22 and have been watching and playing the game for 14+ years. When you can post more than one sentence without six grammatical errors and a dumbass smiley at the end then get back to me.

oarabbus
09-26-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm 22 and have been watching and playing the game for 14+ years. When you can post more than one sentence without six grammatical errors and a dumbass smiley at the end then get back to me.

http://i.imgur.com/jnIRkOZ.gif

lilteapot
09-26-2014, 09:54 PM
#rekt :lol

c5terror
09-26-2014, 10:10 PM
LOL to all who's metioning lebron.
TOP 5 really?
You don't even have to guard Lebron by an elite defender because he'll just pass 70% of the time and you want to double him LOL.

Here's a couple more reason why team don't double lebron.
1.He's not a post player and he just learn how to play in the post today and even that post move is an ugly and stiff as F@ck and 70% of the time he travel and the ref never call it. Most player that got double are the one who's residing at the post and the shotclock is winding down or the one who's taking the game winners and clutch shot.

2.Back before, you don't need to be on him, you just need to close the paint and make him shoot jumpers and he's done just like what fat boris diaw do.

So how the f@ck would Lebron james make it into the top 5 where he was never double 95% of his career LOL?
-Shaq-barkley-Jordan-kobe -comes to my mind

blood yes
09-26-2014, 11:02 PM
TOP 5 really?
You don't even have to guard Lebron by an elite defender because he'll just pass 70% of the time and you want to double him LOL.

1.He's not a post player and he just learn how to play in the post today and even that post move is an ugly and stiff as F@ck and 70% of the time he travel and the ref never call it. Most player that got double are the one who's residing at the post and the shotclock is winding down or the one who's taking the game winners and clutch shot.

2.Back before, you don't need to be on him, you just need to close the paint and make him shoot jumpers and he's done just like what fat boris diaw do.

So how the f@ck would Lebron james make it into the top 5 where he was never double 95% of his career LOL?

1. We understand you hate LeBron
2. We understand you get bullied at school,and therefore must "rant" out your feelings on the internet
3. You should just kill yourself :cheers:

Dro
09-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Not sure if you're serious if you don't have MJ on your list......Same for Shaq, Magic, and Larry.......

Also not sure if you're serious if you have Lebron in the top 5.....

3ball
09-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Versus a Perimeter Double-Team (optimal quickness and physique)

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_over_two_bucks_095677e8e10d73e1a7da8c8845ab f51e.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_Splits_Perimeter_Double_6e7b1e60fae2c32de17 fc6999697853d.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/44dac513a57f077f61bdd07b297d9085.gif

Versus a Post Double-Team (2-foot explosion ability - no room for run-up & 1-leg takeoff)

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_over_Pervis_Ellison_7e3ceb9e87bef60abe4a041 07afa5fa4.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/More_goat_post_skill_from_Jord_f708e90cb052583360b a0c6aa56637ac.gif

tpols
09-26-2014, 11:49 PM
I don't get this...

Because a lot of his shots consisted of ill advised 3 pointers.. trying to spur a hot streak and having it not work.. its a give and take.. he wouldve never had as many explosions without that mentality.. maybe he wouldve been a solid mid 20s ppg scorer on 50+% efficiency without it but he wouldnt have been capable of the celing he achieved.

tpols
09-26-2014, 11:51 PM
TOP 5 really?

I agree.. Lebron was never doubled that much.. he has bigs shadowing the paint watching him from afar, but as far as sending a straight double every time not really.

JohnMax
09-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Michael Jordan

Mr. I'm So Rad
09-26-2014, 11:57 PM

He's had 4 30+ppg post seasons and two at over 29ppg. He's done 50 in the playoffs, 49 and 48 a couple times, and multiple other 40 point games along with multiple 30ppg post-seasons. His post season scoring is right on par with other greats (sans Jordan who no one comes close to).

Pointguard
09-27-2014, 11:55 AM

Yeah, I think Magic would have the best success ratio as well as countering with a dunk (off the pass) or just creating more floor balance.

Ha, didn't it seem like Shaq was immune to it at one point. I remember Horace Grant and Pippen locking arms to make sure Barkley wouldn't split the double.

Pointguard
09-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Also not noted in the thread yet are the super fast players that shed their orignal defender and get to a second and third defender. AI, Rose and young Wade were notorious for this.

ArbitraryWater
09-27-2014, 12:13 PM
He's had 4 30+ppg post seasons and two at over 29ppg. He's done 50 in the playoffs, 49 and 48 a couple times, and multiple other 40 point games along with multiple 30ppg post-seasons. His post season scoring is right on par with other greats (sans Jordan who no one comes close to).

:facepalm

LOL at his scoring being on par with Kareem, Shaq, LeBron..