PDA

View Full Version : 5 most relevant franchises this 2015 season?

CavaliersFTW
09-30-2014, 01:01 AM
What do you guys project will be the 5 most frequently discussed teams by the media and fans. Not necessarily winning teams, just teams that will be getting the lions share of spotlight (due to star players, controversies, or just being in a big market)?

I'm going with:

Cleveland Cavaliers - Bran Inc
SA Spurs - Reigning champs
Miami Heat - Bosh and Wade still a big-two, jilted by Brans departure
Chicago Bulls - Healthy Rose, Pau join Noah and an already tough team
LA Clippe... jk, LA Lakers. Kobe's back.

HM: OKC, which would usurp Miami or the Bulls if either of those two teams end up stuck in mediocrity come AS break, or they could usurp SA due to SA being typically "boring", steady and non-controversial.

List your 5.

tpols
09-30-2014, 01:04 AM
Spurs
Cavs
Thunder
Heat
Clippers

Cocaine80s
09-30-2014, 01:05 AM
Spurs
Cavs
Thunder
Heat
Clippers
this

outbreak
09-30-2014, 01:08 AM
spurs, cavs, thunder, bulls, mavericks

ballinhun8
09-30-2014, 01:13 AM
Chicago
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Los Angeles C.
Miami James/LeBron Cavaliers

Legends66NBA7
09-30-2014, 01:18 AM
Cavaliers - Big 3
Bulls - Rose
L.A. Lakers - Bryant
L.A. Clippers - Paul/Griffin
Thunder - Durant

CavaliersFTW
09-30-2014, 01:20 AM
I know the Clippers will be the better team with the better record but do you guys really think Clippers will get more media spotlight and fan attention than the Lakers which feature Kobe Bryant's return and all the buzz about "how will he play!?, how will his age/injuries effect him!?" Kobe didn't even play last year and throughout the regular season there were more Lakers and Kobe threads than Clippers or any Clippers player threads by a ratio of like 10 to 1. If it wasn't for Donald Sterling's mistress leaking his private convo I'd have almost forgotten they existed let alone known they were winning more than losing.

Legends66NBA7
09-30-2014, 01:23 AM
I know the Clippers will be the better team with the better record but do you guys really think Clippers will get more media spotlight and fan attention than the Lakers which feature Kobe Bryant's return and all the buzz about "how will he play!?, how will his age/injuries effect him!?" Kobe didn't even play last year and throughout the regular season there were more Lakers and Kobe threads than Clippers or any Clippers player threads by a ratio of like 10 to 1. If it wasn't for Donald Sterling's mistress leaking his private convo I'd have almost forgotten they existed let alone known they were winning more than losing.

Clippers and Lakers will co-own the spot light. Clippers have arguably 2 Top 10 players, as well a team know for being really exciting. Along with new ownership and a media angle because of the Sterling incident now wanting this to be "America's Team" or something along the lines, they will definitely get a lot of headlines.

Milbuck
09-30-2014, 01:25 AM
Well are we talking just media relevance, or overall relevance factoring in actual basketball success?

Between Blake & DJ both taking another step forward, improving the roster in the offseason, and another year of chemistry under Doc's coaching/system, I honestly think the Clippers this year could end up being a legitimate championship caliber team. Not only that, but they'd be exciting as hell. The Lakers....not so much. And shouldn't relevance through actual success be valued over relevance through historical reputation?

Edit: Didn't read the OP thoroughly. Yeah, Lakers are up there. But overall I think if we're talking about fans that know their shit, Clippers have the edge.

Legends66NBA7
09-30-2014, 01:25 AM
By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks/Nets got more discussion than the Spurs but that's just me.

Smook A.
09-30-2014, 01:30 AM
Cavaliers
Spurs
Thunder
Clippers
Bulls/Lakers

Cavs, Spurs, and Thunder are the obvious ones. Cavs just got LeBron. They'll obviously be relevant because everyone keeps an eye on LeBron. Spurs just won the championship so of course they're relevant. The Thunder got arguably the best player going into next season, Kevin Durant, and have Russell Westbrook. Their expectations are high every year. Everyone's gonna have their eye on them.

The other teams that'll be relevant are the Clippers and Bulls/Lakers. The reason why I chose Bulls AND Lakers is because both teams have 2 huge players coming back from injury. Kobe has evidently been the most talked about/looked at player for more than a decade. Derrick Rose is making his returned -- again -- and fans/media want the former MVP to have his first good season since 2011/2012. If any of those 2 guys have a bad game, you already know the media will be all over them haha. The other team, LA Clippers, are also going to be relevant because they got Blake Griffin and Chris Paul. 2 guys who are looked at a lot by the media and fans.

RoundMoundOfReb
09-30-2014, 02:20 AM
Cavaliers - Big 3
Bulls - Rose
L.A. Lakers - Bryant
L.A. Clippers - Paul/Griffin
Thunder - Durant
This.

Dr.J4ever
09-30-2014, 02:22 AM
Let me add one team that you guys are ignoring almost by reflex: the 76ers.

Before you dismiss me as being totally biased, just think, Philly will be on the final year in 2014-15 of it's tanking. By the 2015-2016 season, Philly will have Noel in his 2nd season, MCW in his 3rd season, Joel Embiid in his 1st season, and a top 5 or so draft pick again. Not to mention a ton of cap space for Hinkie to make moves.

Don't underestimate Philly. We have a large, rabid, knowledgeable untapped market. We are on the move, and we have a plan!

Dr.J4ever
09-30-2014, 02:29 AM
oops you were talkin 2014-2015 season by the OP. I thought it was 2015-16..

So no, we won't be very much talked about THIS year, but we will be by 2015-2016....:lol

oarabbus
09-30-2014, 02:30 AM
It'll be:
Cavaliers
Bulls
Lakers
Clippers
Thunder (maybe Knicks)

That's just how it is. ESPN and the media sure as hell doesn't talk about the Spurs. Even if they're coming off the championship, they'll probably play them secondary to these other teams.

Cold soul
09-30-2014, 03:08 AM
In no order:
Cavs
Spurs
Thunder
Clippers
Heat
Lakers
Chicago

I had to add two more teams.

poido123
09-30-2014, 03:19 AM
Let me add one team that you guys are ignoring almost by reflex: the 76ers.

Before you dismiss me as being totally biased, just think, Philly will be on the final year in 2014-15 of it's tanking. By the 2015-2016 season, Philly will have Noel in his 2nd season, MCW in his 3rd season, Joel Embiid in his 1st season, and a top 5 or so draft pick again. Not to mention a ton of cap space for Hinkie to make moves.

Don't underestimate Philly. We have a large, rabid, knowledgeable untapped market. We are on the move, and we have a plan!

Not relevant this year, but i like what you guys have in the next few years.

Embiid is the best guy from the last draft, hopefully he can remain injury free.

Will be interesting to see how they distribute the salaries to their talented group once their rookie contracts expires...

JimmyMcAdocious
09-30-2014, 04:22 AM
Spurs
Cavs
OKC
Chicago
LAC

or aka the only teams that actually have a shot at the championship next season.

If by relevant you mean rating and shit, throw in Lakers and Knicks somewhere. Dump Spurs, etc.