PDA

View Full Version : Ariza vs Batum vs Parsons

Jlamb47
09-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Out of these 3 small forwards who yal taking?

DirkNowitzki41
09-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Batum right now. I think Parsons has the highest ceiling though.

Smoke117
09-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Nicolas Batum is the best player of the bunch.

StephHamann
09-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Batum
Parsons
Ariza

in that order

wally_world
09-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Ariza. Would also consider Thabo Sefolosha.

Buffalobraves
09-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Ariza. Would also consider Thabo Sefolosha.
Or Metta World Peace...

Myth
09-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Nicolas Batum is the best player of the bunch.

Batum has the most talent, but the heart he puts into the game is inconsistent compared to both Parsons and Ariza. There were several times in the playoffs last year that I wanted to swap Batum and Ariza.

Jlamb47
09-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Or Metta World Peace...

Hayward too?

ralph_i_el
09-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Ariza is definitely the worst of the bunch.

trust me, I've watched him start ~100 games.

100% guarantee Ariza never has another season close to what he did last year. He was in a contract year and essentially didn't ever have to dribble or play-make....which is good because he CAN'T.

52% of Ariza's attempts were 3's
96% of them were assisted
40% of them were from the corner

59% of his 2's were assisted.

That means Ariza averaged ~1.2 unassisted buckets per game last season (and I'd bet that ~half of them came from going coast to coast off a steal). John Wall force fed him open looks, just like he did with Webster the year before (which led to him being overpaid). Just like he'll do with Otto Porter at some point.

Ariza is not an elite 3 point shooter. It just so happens he shot a ton of open 3's, and an extremely large % of them were from the corner (compared to other prolific 3 point shooters). He can barely dribble and he can't shoot off the dribble.

UK2K
09-30-2014, 03:54 PM
^^^^^

ralph_i_el
09-30-2014, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=UK2K]^^^^^

scm5
09-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Parsons is the best scorer of the three.

Batum is the best playmaker and most well rounded.

Ariza is the best defender.

Parsons I believe can develop into a solid 2nd option and possibly even 1st, which is something I don't think Batum or Ariza will be able to do.

It would be between Batum and Ariza to me. Batum is better all around, but Parsons is a legit scorer when he needs to be and that's worth a lot.

Smoke117
09-30-2014, 04:14 PM
look at the shot profile of where Parsons shot his 3's from and where Ariza shot his threes from. Then tell me which is a better 3 point shooter.

Wall creates more corner 3's than anyone else in the league. He won't get those looks nearly as often on Houston. It's not even that he's doing anything special in the halfcourt to get them. He would just sprint to the corner in transition or stand around in the halfcourt.

Ariza is going to put up ~10ppg and shoot 36% from 3 this year. I've seen a ton of Ariza and I have never really been impressed with him. He gets steals with his long ass arms, and he sucks in the halfcourt on O. He's an above average 3 point shooter and that keeps him on the floor.

Give me Parsons any day. At least I don't cringe when he holds the ball for more than half a second.

Yeah, you only cringe the entire time he's on defense.

oarabbus
09-30-2014, 04:16 PM
Parsons is the best scorer of the three.

Batum is the best playmaker and most well rounded.

Ariza is the best defender.

Parsons I believe can develop into a solid 2nd option and possibly even 1st, which is something I don't think Batum or Ariza will be able to do.

It would be between Batum and Ariza to me. Batum is better all around, but Parsons is a legit scorer when he needs to be and that's worth a lot.

Batum might be a better defender than Ariza

brantonli
09-30-2014, 07:08 PM
look at the shot profile of where Parsons shot his 3's from and where Ariza shot his threes from. Then tell me which is a better 3 point shooter.

Wall creates more corner 3's than anyone else in the league. He won't get those looks nearly as often on Houston. It's not even that he's doing anything special in the halfcourt to get them. He would just sprint to the corner in transition or stand around in the halfcourt.

Ariza is going to put up ~10ppg and shoot 36% from 3 this year. I've seen a ton of Ariza and I have never really been impressed with him. He gets steals with his long ass arms, and he sucks in the halfcourt on O. He's an above average 3 point shooter and that keeps him on the floor.

Give me Parsons any day. At least I don't cringe when he holds the ball for more than half a second.

I think you forget Ariza played a whole year at Houston, and yeah a lot of us still remember how Ariza can barely dribble a basketball and couldn't create to save his life. The Rockets are well aware of his short comings, and it will be looking to Harden for a more PG role in getting team-mates wide open looks.

But on picking these players, Parsons' playmaking ability is quite underrated. When the Houston offense stagnates in the half court, you can trust Parsons to take the ball away from Harden and Howard and still help create a decent shot somewhere. That's something that Ariza definitely doesn't have, and Batum probably doesn't either.

YouGotServed
09-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Ariza is a lot better than the other 2.

Ariza
*huge gap*
Parsons
Batum

Xsatyr
09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
lol at Parsons being a second option. He has the highest ceiling though but he is not worth his contract. I would rather have Ariza and his contract.

Based on talent
Parsons, Batum, Ariza

Based on contracts and talent
Batum, Ariza, Parsons

Parsons might have a breakout year under a real coach this season though.

Inferno
09-30-2014, 09:31 PM
I'd take Batum on the Warriors

ralph_i_el
09-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Ariza is a lot better than the other 2.

Ariza
*huge gap*
Parsons
Batum

why?

T_L_P
09-30-2014, 10:12 PM
I really don't rate Batum's game at all.

I don't really think he does anything very well (even though he has an all-around rep) and he doesn't really care imo.

Can't act like I've seen Ariza much for the past few years though, so as it stands:

Parsons
Batum
Ariza

I<3NBA
09-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Parsons is the whole package (yeah, pun intended)

chazzy
09-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Parsons

YouGotServed
09-30-2014, 11:44 PM
why?

logic

raiderfan19
09-30-2014, 11:58 PM
There are different questions here. Purely as basketball players, Batum and parsons are much better than Ariza. Considering contracts and roles on a specific team you can make an argument for any being the most valuable asset assuming Ariza can maintain at least good 3pt shooting away from wall

bdreason
10-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Is it a contract year for Ariza? :oldlol:

Biggyd81
10-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Parsons playmaking 101 - throw a pumpfake

RoseCity07
10-01-2014, 08:18 AM
I wanted Ariza bad for Portland. I love his defense. I like Batum because he fits really well with Portland. As far as Parsons goes, he's an overrated trash talker. Opened his mouth and Batum owned him. He also go the game winner hit in his face to end the Rockets season.

Batum
Ariza
Parsons

Depending on the team I might take Ariza over Batum. I think Ariza is more consistent with his play. Batum can be one hell of an x-factor when he does show put to play.

ralph_i_el
10-01-2014, 08:33 AM
logic
share some then

Le Shaqtus
10-01-2014, 10:48 AM
why?

Because he's on the Rockets :lol

ralph_i_el
10-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Because he's on the Rockets :lol

Ariza was a wizard and I was still talking shit on him :confusedshrug:

I don't understand why people act like homers. It just invalidates all your opinions when everyone knows that you're super biased.

I know the weakness of every Wizards player, and I will not hesitate to bring them up. I'm just being real :confusedshrug:

in Ariza's case, Just look at Martell Webster a year before. Webster got paid because the game is so easy for a shooting wing playing alongside Wall. Beal at least has to be the secondary ball handler and primary ISO scorer, but whoever ends up playing the 3 just has a real easy time of it. Leak out in transition, run to the 3 point line. In the halfcourt, stay the **** out of the way and get ready for a kickout.

Webster's shooting stats dropped off when he got moved to the bench, because he played less of his time with Wall. Beal's shooting drops off some without Wall. Ariza's too.

If Houston fans are excited at getting an "elite" 3 point shooter, they will be very disappointed. He gave great effort on D this year too....but will he keep it up now that he got that contract? I doubt it.

Aussie Dunker
10-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Give me Batum's skill-set with Parson's basketball mind and Ariza's hustle / effort.

I think it breaks down like this;

*If I need a second option - Parsons
*If I need a third option - Batum
*If I need a fourth option - Ariza

But that does not necessarily say Parsons is better than Ariza, just better suited to having more of a lead role - and Ariza is better suited to being an elite glue guy...

masonanddixon
10-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Parsons is easily the best. He will look very nice alongside Dirk.

oarabbus
10-02-2014, 03:10 AM

Lol. Batum is easily the best of the 3. Parsons slightly, barely edges him out offensively and Batum kills him on the defensive end.

UK2K
10-02-2014, 03:15 AM
Batum is the best of the three.

They all do things on offense that are beneficial to a team on the offensive end.

On the defensive end, only two of the three are solid defenders.