PDA

View Full Version : Hank Gathers

Ai2death
09-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Stumbled upon this yesterday and thought i would share,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcD5XUXfr1Y

Died of the same thing Len Bias did, however, Hank's was brought on by physical excursion (not cocaine.)

Shocking story and the footage is amazing, to be cut down like that in the prime of your life is a shame.

Really makes you appreciate life.

Stringer Bell
10-02-2014, 11:26 AM
Real sad story.

I've been on the same Beta Blockers that Gathers was on and I can see how it would mess with his performance on the court. Can make you extremely tired and sluggish.

It led to a lot of lawsuits and got real ugly too.

Gathers grew up really poor, from the same projects in Philly (Raymond Rosen) that Bernard Hopkins came from. Didn't get to help his family out with all the money from an NBA career.

http://www.si.com/vault/1991/03/04/123716/a-bitter-legacy-the-tragic-death-of-hank-gathers-has-begotten-lawsuits-and-animosity

DStebb716
10-02-2014, 02:13 PM
His nephew Jordan goes to St. Bonaventure University (my school). He's a great kid. Friendly. Hit a buzzer-beater against ranked Saint Louis during the A-10 tournament that was all over sports tv for weeks.

Jlamb47
10-02-2014, 02:36 PM
His nephew Jordan goes to St. Bonaventure University (my school). He's a great kid. Friendly. Hit a buzzer-beater against ranked Saint Louis during the A-10 tournament that was all over sports tv for weeks.

Whats crazy is miami heat coach Erik was next to his guy when he fell down on the court. Erik was the point gaurd for the other team.

Rake2204
10-02-2014, 02:40 PM
That clip always gets me. Something about his last words being "I don't wanna lay down".... then those quick cuts of his teammates and loved ones.

Lebron23
11-01-2020, 04:27 PM
Whats crazy is miami heat coach Erik was next to his guy when he fell down on the court. Erik was the point gaurd for the other team.

Just read about it.

3ball
11-01-2020, 04:37 PM
80's and 90's wings destroy today's with the likes of Kemp, Grant Hill, Penny, Michael Jordan, Dr. J, Magic, Bird, and Drexler, but they would REALLY destroy today's if guys like Bias, Gathers, Dumas, and Lewis weren't victims of Ronald Reagan's iran-contra affair

JBSptfn
11-02-2020, 01:00 PM
80's and 90's wings destroy today's with the likes of Kemp, Grant Hill, Penny, Michael Jordan, Dr. J, Magic, Bird, and Drexler, but they would REALLY destroy today's if guys like Bias, Gathers, Dumas, and Lewis weren't victims of Ronald Reagan's iran-contra affair

What do you mean by the bolded part?

pandiani17
11-02-2020, 01:42 PM
I wasn't old enough to see him play. In which position was he projected to go in the draft? Top 10? First round? And what type of career would he have? A sort of a enforcer, rebounder?