PDA

View Full Version : Players Today that will be become "Legend" status

lakers1978
10-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Simple question, what current players will achieve that "Legend" status among players, fans, and the media? Off the top of my head, i can only think of a few.

Lebron
Kobe
Duncan

Guys like Garnett, Dirk, Paul will be all-time greats, but to me don't have the "Legend" status like the Jordans, Magic, Birds, Jabar, Wilt, Russel, Dr. J...etc of the past.

AnaheimLakers24
10-03-2014, 05:02 PM
kobe, duncan and durant
maybe davis

lakers1978
10-03-2014, 05:03 PM
kobe and durant
maybe davis

Durant is a great possibility

Genaro
10-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Kobe, Duncan and Lebron already are. Dirk and Garnett are all time greats and CP can become one. Durant is a strong possibility to be a legend after that I can't really see anybody.

MP.Trey
10-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Kobe, Duncan and LeBron already are.

Durant will. Westbrook and Anthony Davis have a shot.

G0ATbe
10-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Kobe
Durant
Wade
Kawhi

riseagainst
10-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Kobe
Durant
Wade
Kawhi

:roll:

CavaliersFTW
10-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Royce White
Sim Buhllar
Festus Ezeli

Sakkreth
10-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Kobe, Duncan and LeBron already are.

Durant will. Westbrook and Anthony Davis have a shot.

Don't agree with Westbrook. He's simply too stupid for that to happen.

raiderfan19
10-03-2014, 05:50 PM
You were good till you said dr j. He's not a legend if you are saying dirk and kg aren't

Fowl
10-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Blake Griffin
Anthony Davis
Damian Lillard

All have a shot ^

From this years draft:
Jabari Parker - Julius Randle
As of now before even playing a game in the NBA, These guys have a shot.

Marchesk
10-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Kyrie
Love
Harden

YouGotServed
10-03-2014, 06:25 PM
LeBron
Durant
Howard
harden
Wade
nowitzki
kobe

T_L_P
10-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Duncan, LeBron and Kobe already are.

I think Dirk will be. It depends on how he ends his career.

He and Garnett should get legend status though.

Lebronxrings
10-03-2014, 06:34 PM
LeBron
Durant
Howard
harden
Wade
nowitzki
kobe
:yaohappy:

poido123
10-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Currently kobe, lebron, duncan

Future embiid, davis

NuggetsFan
10-03-2014, 06:54 PM
I was never much of a Durant fan but I'd say he's pretty much a lock barring any serious injuries. He has 4 scoring titles, 5x All-NBA 1st team, 1 MVP and like 3 top 2 finishes plus another top 5 finish. Has 3 deep playoff runs already and a trip to the finals in a stacked conference. 32/7/5 last season. Been a 25+ guy since he was 20.

He still has 4 seasons left in his prime probably. His length/shooting ability probably help him last in the league. Pretty athletic but won't be screwed without it. I don't see how he doesn't become a "legend". He's doing what a healthy T-Mac could have done except he's on a good team.

Besides the obvious ones like LeBron/Kobe/Duncan/Dirk/KG who already are I don't really know. Alot of it is dependent on team success. A guy like Anthony Davis could be similar to KG where he plays with average/shitty/occasionally decent teams never really doing much but than wins later on in his career.

I don't think there are any locks currently outside of Durant.

Legends66NBA7
10-03-2014, 06:57 PM
As much as he's polarizing, Vince Carter did pioneer a lot of future players from Canada. To me, that's legendary enough. Plus, he's also regarded by majority consensus as the GOAT dunker, so that's got to count for something too.

GrapeApe
10-03-2014, 09:50 PM
The term "legend" is pretty subjective and ambiguous Of the guys currently playing I'd say Kobe, Duncan, LeBron, Wade, Dirk, Garnett, Nash, and probably Ray Allen have solidified legend status.

Dragic4Life
10-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Lebron won't be just a legend. He'll be in the debate for GOAT trust me.

SouBeachTalents
10-03-2014, 10:15 PM
:yaohappy:

Lol, like Wade won't be a legend. He's at WORST in the top 30 all time

RoundMoundOfReb
10-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul (borderline)

Dro
10-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Hmm...Legend is like top 10 right? In that case Kobe and Duncan. Lebron eventually if he stays on his current pace. That's it.....

RoundMoundOfReb
10-03-2014, 10:21 PM
top 10 isn't legend to me. Jerry West is a legend. so are guys like oscar/pippen/baylor/etc...

GrapeApe
10-03-2014, 10:35 PM
top 10 isn't legend to me. Jerry West is a legend. so are guys like oscar/pippen/baylor/etc...

Agreed, and you could even argue guys like Dennis Rodman and Reggie Miller are legends depending on the criteria. To me the term "legend" encompasses more than just an all time ranking.

Akrazotile
10-04-2014, 12:15 AM
To me it seems legend basically means you get overrated by nostalgia. And to offset that extra credit they get, all other players end up getting underrated by hindsight.

Guys like MJ, Wilt and Bird have become mythological figures and their failures are often completely ignored, while most people (from younger generations) can tell you very little about Nate Archibald, Alex English, Elvin Hayes, etc.

Sure the first three are better than the second three, but the gap isn't as wide as time has made it appear. That's what will happen with the current generation. Guys like Bran and Duncan will be revered as titans, the rest will just be faceless foils who were trampled by those guys en route to their successes.

ILLsmak
10-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Damian Lillard

Haha was thinking of him as a dark horse. Something about him is just good to me. I doubt he becomes a legend tho...

-Smak

Just2McFly
10-04-2014, 12:20 AM
rondo is going to be the most underrated player of all time, it seems . Holy shit. When people are throwing around Lollard and harden before him, I have concerns. Both of those guys don't matchup to Rondo

Akrazotile
10-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Agreed, and you could even argue guys like Dennis Rodman and Reggie Miller are legends depending on the criteria. To me the term "legend" encompasses more than just an all time ranking.

It seems that way now but future generations who don't have direct memories of their iconic moments are not going to associate them with legendary greatness. Remember, we're talking 30+ years from now. Right or wrong, the "legends" club is almost exclusively guys who were seen as the leaders of dynasties. The exceptions being guys like Wilt and Oscar due to unprecedented statistical dominance that few if any players replicate currently or ever will.

raiderfan19
10-04-2014, 12:58 AM
rondo is going to be the most underrated player of all time, it seems . Holy shit. When people are throwing around Lollard and harden before him, I have concerns. Both of those guys don't matchup to Rondo
Is rondo a top 30 player now??? Let alone a legend

Nowitness
10-04-2014, 01:56 AM
Wait, wait, how are people saying Paul will become a legend?

Durant has already passed him on a historical scale. The dude has nothing to show but some assist leader awards and second round exists.

Just2McFly
10-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Is rondo a top 30 player now??? Let alone a legend
Top 30 player of what? All time? Cause I fail to see your point when names like harden and lillard are being discussed.

senelcoolidge
10-04-2014, 08:36 AM
I think out of all the players playing today Durant as the biggest shot. I think lots of the guys playing today will be largely forgotten or just be names on a list but not heavily recognized like some of the past HoFer's. Such as Sam Jones, Elvin Hayes, Moses Malone, Alex English, Adrian Dantley, Dan Issel, etc. Great players in their time but not as recognized today. So players like Dirk, Duncan, Garnett, etc will be in the HoF but years from now they will barely be spoken off. So I can't see a Westbrook, Carmelo, etc being much different either and they are lesser players than those mentioned before.

SexSymbol
10-04-2014, 09:04 AM
white mamba

Spaulding
10-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Kobe. Duncan. Lebron. Legendary.

KG. CP3. Durant. Dirk. Wade. Nash. Great players.

That will not change.

christian1923
10-04-2014, 09:32 AM
If melo can ever win a title in NY then he would be

dreamwarrior
10-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Legend is like something mythological. Other than Kobe and Lebron I don't see any of these players becoming legends. Dominique Wilkins was the 2nd best player in the MJ era and he's not even considered a legend. Durant is like today's Dominique Wilkins.

T_L_P
10-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Legend is like something mythological. Other than Kobe and Lebron I don't see any of these players becoming legends. Dominique Wilkins was the 2nd best player in the MJ era and he's not even considered a legend. Durant is like today's Dominique Wilkins.

Yep, Nique sure was better than Hakeem, Ewing or Robinson, or about 8 other guys.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-04-2014, 08:25 PM
As much as he's polarizing, Vince Carter did pioneer a lot of future players from Canada. To me, that's legendary enough. Plus, he's also regarded by majority consensus as the GOAT dunker, so that's got to count for something too.

I think Carter gets underrated with age. People are going to remember him mostly for his dunking ability (and rightfully so), but he was so much a better basketball player than only being able to complete high-flying dunks.

Dirk is there. Partly because of his unusual playing style for his size/position, redefining and popularizing moves and his position, and his championship run.

Duncan, Kobe and LeBron are also already there. Durant will be there unless he completely falls off. Even if Durant suffered a career ending injury right now, that would probably put him over the top. He'll join the "what could have been" crew, except he would be doing so with an MVP and his other accolades.

KG and Ray, possibly. With Ray you get the GOAT shooter label, which is largely in part to what adds to Reggie Miller's legacy (and he's a legend, imo), and even his clutch shots, which solidified Miller. KG has his stats and championship. Crazy asshole/leader on the court. I don't know. I can see him being forgettable over time.

I don't see anyone else. Even guys like Nash with his two MVPs or CP3 with his ridiculously high peak and overall consistently great play. They don't have that IT factor or moment for me. Not yet, at least.

Cold soul
10-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Yep, Nique sure was better than Hakeem, Ewing or Robinson, or about 8 other guys.

I know right? Hilarious.... :roll:

alexd
10-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Dirk is a legend.i think that after many many years players like manu pau and Yao Ming will become legends cause of their ethnicity.everyone around the world watch the NBA.for example for Argentinians you have many a 4 time champion in the best league in the world.they will have him as a god.just like in Greece we have galis

hawksdogsbraves
10-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Kobe. Duncan. Lebron. Legendary.

KG. CP3. Durant. Dirk. Wade. Nash. Great players.

That will not change.

I mostly agree with this. There's not really a standard definition for 'legendary' but I think Kobe, Duncan, and LeBron are all on the highest level of 'legends', while guys like Nash, Garnett, and Dirk are certainly hall of famers and all-time great players, but not quite on that same 'legendary' tier.

I do think Durant has a shot at reaching 'legend' status though, the dude is only 26, if he keeps playing at this exact same level for 5 or 6 more years and wins 2-3 championships I think he will get there.

ILLsmak
10-05-2014, 05:52 AM
Top 30 player of what? All time? Cause I fail to see your point when names like harden and lillard are being discussed.

You gotta put dudes in championship winning scenarios and imagine how they would perform as well as how the world would react. Nobody is gonna be a legend without winning a ring.

I think Harden is ridic to mention, but to me Lillard is just cold blooded. If he won a ring or two I think he'd have as good of a chance of having legendary moments as anyone else who is a potential legend or already is a legend.

That might not make sense to you, but it does to me. Basically, Lillard has only been in the league 2 years. He might not even stay where he is.

Rondo... while I don't wanna say he's done... I think his greatest days are behind him in terms of doing legendary shit. Has he done enough already? I dunno. Since he hasn't (to me), then I'm putting a guy who might be able to, in my mind, over him.

If he stays on the Cs, he's not gonna be doing much legendary shit, and if he goes on another team and wins, it's hard to imagine him being the one who will get the credit. We'll see.

-Smak

ILLsmak
10-05-2014, 05:55 AM

Double post. So many strange posts in this thread.

If Nique won a rings he would be a legend. KD has a very high chance of getting rings.

Wade isn't a legend? Hmm... he's close. Again, rings. People who don't win rings cannot be legends. You basically gotta do something like a dynasty or at least get back-to-back.

-Smak

ImKobe
10-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Westbrook is simply amazing and produces so many highlights and he had a great Playoff run considering he came off multiple knee surgeries, still outplayed KD.

SamuraiSWISH
10-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Kobe, Duncan, and LeBron

The next best chance is KD, the rest while great players, and current heroes I don't think will go down as certified legends of the game.

My take.

RRR3
10-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Double post. So many strange posts in this thread.

If Nique won a rings he would be a legend. KD has a very high chance of getting rings.

Wade isn't a legend? Hmm... he's close. Again, rings. People who don't win rings cannot be legends. You basically gotta do something like a dynasty or at least get back-to-back.

-Smak
So Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Elgin Baylor aren't legends?

Joyner82reload
10-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Kobe
LeBron
Duncan
Durant

That's it.

Here is how they will be remembered in history, whether its true or not as perception has a way of changing with time

Kobe will be known as the fiercest competitor, or at least 2nd, up there with Jordan. He will also be considered one of the clutchest players ever.

LeBron will be considered the most gifted all around player in history and the GOAT all around offensive player(points, rebounds, assists)

Duncan will be considered the last great fundamental player in the history of the game, although he will not be spoken of in the same light as the other 3 on this list.

Durant will be considered the greatest scorer in history in terms of consistency and all around arsenal(shooting, slashing, off the ball, on the ball). That is assuming he stays healthy because he will likely break Jordan's scoring titles record and Kareems all time points record if so. It will also lead to 100,000 arguments of who was the better scorer: Jordan or Durant

pauk
10-05-2014, 08:26 PM
I would say Lebron, Kobe & Duncan already are legends... they are one of the 10 GOATs afterall....?

So to answer your question, Durant has a good chance.

Hoopz2332
10-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Kobe, LBJ and Duncan are already legends

Dirk and Ginoboli might be from an international POV

moaz
10-05-2014, 09:28 PM
I believe dirk is gonna be there.
I define legend status as how often is the player remmembered and how often other players are compared to him.
Every euro player, big with a shot, player with signature move, player with a legendary title run, or even any big white player will be compared to him.

And for mavs fans he will be the standard for a long time.

TylerOO
10-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Kobe, Duncan and Lebron already are. Dirk and Garnett are all time greats and CP can become one. Durant is a strong possibility to be a legend after that I can't really see anybody.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Papaya Petee
10-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
Wade
Durant
Garnett

Maybe Ray,Pierce and Vince too

Cone
10-05-2014, 10:08 PM
LeBron
dirk
Duncan
kobe

its crazy how people don't have dirk. guy is def a legend. that fade away is enough, not to mention his impact he has on all euros coming to the nba

Just2McFly
10-06-2014, 01:41 AM
You gotta put dudes in championship winning scenarios and imagine how they would perform as well as how the world would react. Nobody is gonna be a legend without winning a ring.

I think Harden is ridic to mention, but to me Lillard is just cold blooded. If he won a ring or two I think he'd have as good of a chance of having legendary moments as anyone else who is a potential legend or already is a legend.

That might not make sense to you, but it does to me. Basically, Lillard has only been in the league 2 years. He might not even stay where he is.

Rondo... while I don't wanna say he's done... I think his greatest days are behind him in terms of doing legendary shit. Has he done enough already? I dunno. Since he hasn't (to me), then I'm putting a guy who might be able to, in my mind, over him.

If he stays on the Cs, he's not gonna be doing much legendary shit, and if he goes on another team and wins, it's hard to imagine him being the one who will get the credit. We'll see.

-Smak
http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/26/4268756/rajon-rondo-boston-celtics-nba-playoffs-2013

Bruh Rondo will recover and finish his HOF career somewhere as a winner. Legend is a subjective term, but for people to diss names like Dominique and say he was just a great player when he went toe to toe with mj and bird is fcking dumb.

GrapeApe
10-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
Wade
Durant
Garnett

Maybe Ray,Pierce and Vince too

Agree with these, but I think Nash has to be in there too. A six foot white guy winning back to back MVP's is pretty legendary and will never happen again.

aj1987
10-06-2014, 02:46 AM
Durant will be considered the greatest scorer in history in terms of consistency and all around arsenal(shooting, slashing, off the ball, on the ball). That is assuming he stays healthy because he will likely break Jordan's scoring titles record and Kareems all time points record if so. It will also lead to 100,000 arguments of who was the better scorer: Jordan or Durant
In his first 7 seasons, MJ averaged 33/6/6/3/1 on 59% TS in the RS 35/7/7/3/1 on 59% TS in the Playoffs.

Yeah, Durant is not touching that.

Cold soul
10-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Duncan
Lebron
Kobe
Dirk
Wade
Garnett

It remains to be seen if Durant even gets to that level. As for all younger players in the league he has the best chance of anyone to eventually get there.

pastis
10-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Tim Duncan
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul (borderline)

what a troll atempt.

only legend is DUncan. that is it.

all the rest is all time great: kobe, dirk etc. If you consider Kobe as a LEGENd, that dirk is also a legend. plain and simple.

so for me:

Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, Lebron

dwayne wade and chris paul arent even boderline all time greats. they are good. thats all.

aj1987
10-06-2014, 10:38 AM
what a troll atempt.

only legend is DUncan. that is it.

all the rest is all time great: kobe, dirk etc. If you consider Kobe as a LEGENd, that dirk is also a legend. plain and simple.

so for me:

Duncan, Dirk, Kobe, Lebron

dwayne wade and chris paul arent even boderline all time greats. they are good. thats all.
Are you serious? You have Dirk an entire tier over Wade? Even DMAVS would disagree with you. :facepalm