PDA

View Full Version : Dirk hints at working on the skyhook......

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-04-2014, 03:14 AM
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154628319290461

huge if true. Dirk fade and KAJ skyhook are the 2 most unguardable shots in history IMO

CavaliersFTW
10-04-2014, 04:19 AM
I'd love to see him adopt a hook shot. Which btw, is probably all it will be.

Think about this, Dirk is a 6-10 w/o shoes relatively unathletic with probably a 7 foot wingspan tops. He's not even learning the form from Kareem. Kareem on the other hand was a 7-2 hyper athletic giant with a 7-5 wingspan and a high standing reach. Kareem's hook shot, due to his physical ability, was an exceptionally vertical version of a standard pivot hook shot, it was called a skyhook because he's so damn tall, athletic and long. Dirk isn't those things so not sure it should be called a skyhook. There's also many types of hook shots so I wonder which type he's actually working on. I feel like they incorrectly label every hook a skyhook these days. Closest hook shots to a genuine Kareem skyhook I've seen are the hooks shot by Bob Lanier or Artis Gilmore as they shot it out of the pivot and also had exceptionally vertical release points. The rest of the hook shots I've ever seen from most players are released too low or are technically sweeping hooks or running hooks rather than hooks off a pivot (Kareem's skyhook is a pivot shot, not on the run and not a sweep). Sweeping and running hooks can also be extremely effective, and have been mastered and used to great effect by HOFers like Cliff Hagan, Jerry Lucas, and more. I was watching a recent Dominique Wilkins game, and he used a right handed hook shot in the post twice that game, so it's def usable in modern games even in the hands of smaller forwards.

Paul George 24
10-04-2014, 04:23 AM
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154628319290461

huge if true. Dirk fade and KAJ skyhook are the 2 most unguardable shots in history IMO

only kaj can used sky hook perfectly

mattvNJ
10-04-2014, 05:30 AM

Think about this, Dirk is a 6-10 w/o shoes relatively unathletic with probably a 7 foot wingspan tops. He's not even learning the form from Kareem. Kareem on the other hand was a 7-2 hyper athletic giant with a 7-5 wingspan and a high standing reach. Kareem's hook shot, due to his physical ability, was an exceptionally vertical version of a standard pivot hook shot, it was called a skyhook because he's so damn tall, athletic and long. Dirk isn't those things so not sure it should be called a skyhook. There's also many types of hook shots so I wonder which type he's actually working on. I feel like they incorrectly label every hook a skyhook these days. Closest hook shots to a genuine Kareem skyhook I've seen are the hooks shot by Bob Lanier or Artis Gilmore as they shot it out of the pivot and also had exceptionally vertical release points. The rest of the hook shots I've ever seen from most players are released too low or are technically sweeping hooks or running hooks rather than hooks off a pivot (Kareem's skyhook is a pivot shot, not on the run and not a sweep). Sweeping and running hooks can also be extremely effective, and have been mastered and used to great effect by HOFers like Cliff Hagan, Jerry Lucas, and more. I was watching a recent Dominique Wilkins game, and he used a right handed hook shot in the post twice that game, so it's def usable in modern games even in the hands of smaller forwards.

http://i.imgur.com/xpadsZe.gif

SHAQisGOAT
10-04-2014, 08:45 AM
A player can't really develop a great (and "true") skyhook from the moment he enters the league only, let alone as an "old" veteran... It takes many years of practice and developing muscle memory since an early stage/age.
Kareem was doing it and working on it constantly since he was a kid; you can look at pretty much all the players that had a good hook-shot, and see that they were already doing it before they even entered the league, then developing it.

With all of that said, if Dirk can develop and perform a solid "version" of the skyhook, it would make him even more dangerous, that's a really good weapon to have in your arsenal.

Yea, he was freakishly tall and a great athlete but it was also called skyhook because of the release point and the unique form (meaning hand, arm, even leg...).

miles berg
10-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Dirk is taller than 6' 10" without shoes. He is a legit 7'.

L.Kizzle
10-04-2014, 09:19 AM
15 years too late.

kurple
10-04-2014, 09:23 AM
it's not like he's never worked on a hook shot before

thats the first thing ever big man learns

he just isnt the guy to back you down and pick is spot. he'd rather turn around and shoot over you

nathanjizzle
10-04-2014, 09:37 AM
nobody cares.

Smook A.
10-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Should've added it 10 years ago

Inactive
10-04-2014, 10:15 AM
He can already get his shot off against everyone, so I don't see how this helps him.

He's not going to be more accurate with the skyhook, after one off-season of practice, than he is with the stepback and fadeaway that he's mastered over the course of many years.

He also said he was developing a faster release. That might actually help him in catch and shoot situations.

RRR3
10-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Dirk is taller than 6' 10" without shoes. He is a legit 7'.
No one is a legit 7 feet according to cavsftw

Locked_Up_Tonight
10-04-2014, 10:47 AM
No news in that video. Dirk is just joking around.

For the past 10+ years Dirk and Holger have been working on a hook. Not a skyhook and not a jumphook. I'd say it is more like a swinging hook. He makes about 2 hooks a year and has for the past 10 years. Every offseason he says he wants to incorporate it more in his arsenal.

But he never does. I think the major reason is beause he is a shooter first and foremost and guys who use hookshots are not shooters. So when they turn to the middle a nonshooter thinks "hook"... a shooter thinks "shoot"....

But with him losing some mobility you might see the swinging hook a few more times. I doubt it though.

Inactive
10-04-2014, 10:49 AM
No one is a legit 7 feet according to cavsftwDirk is ~6'11. I believe he was listed at 6'10 when he was drafted, but he's slightly taller than others who were measured 6'10, and just about even with guys who are 6'11 barefoot, e.g Garnett.

http://www.nba.com/media/allstar2007/west_600_070218.jpg

[QUOTE=DraftExpress]International listings are supposed to be fairly accurate, mostly listed barefoot, and this may be true in some cases. Andrea Bargnani was listed at 2.09 Meters in Europe (6

Locked_Up_Tonight
10-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Dirk never went to a predraft camp and was measured so every measurement from back then is a guess.

Dirk (unlike KG) has never lied about his height and a couple of years ago he said he was 7' and 1/4"......

raiderfan19
10-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Dirk has done a hook at some point every year in his career. And every time he makes one the mavs announcers say how scary it will be if he ever masters it. You don't just add that shot as a go to move anymore than the guys whove learned the one legged dirk fade. You use it a couple times a year it looks cool but it doesn't really effect your game.

Also while dirk really is pretty unathletic now at 36 lost knee surgeries, young dirk was ridiculously athletic for a 7 footer.

Nick Young
10-04-2014, 11:49 AM
too late to develop that bro, should have started when he was 10 years old like Kareem did.

oarabbus
10-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Dirk is ~6'11. I believe he was listed at 6'10 when he was drafted, but he's slightly taller than others who were measured 6'10, and just about even with guys who are 6'11 barefoot, e.g Garnett.

http://www.nba.com/media/allstar2007/west_600_070218.jpg

Yao :eek:

inclinerator
10-04-2014, 05:51 PM
he's too old to master it

Cavalier
10-04-2014, 06:07 PM
He was clearly joking. :facepalm

pastis
10-04-2014, 06:47 PM
lol dirk ist just joking obviously =)

he is so a nice and funny person. he is like duncan. you cant hate him as a person and player.

Dirk:bowdown: :bowdown: