PDA

View Full Version : Gone Girl / David Fincher

embersyc
10-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Surprised there is no thread about this movie yet.

Saw it last night, and it's probably the best movie I've seen in a while.

Fincher kind of goes back to his roots here and delivers a truly ****ed up film I can't stop thinking about. It has seriously affected my mood for over 24 hours now.

Go see it quick before the spoilers get out.

9/10

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD!

Rake2204
10-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Maybe random but, was the soundtrack legit? Trent Rezznor and Atticus Ross have been pretty on-the-money with their scores so far. I listened to it on NPR and it seems it'd work with a movie like this very well.

Le Shaqtus
10-05-2014, 09:28 PM
It looks pretty good, should probably find the time to see it.

Rake2204
10-05-2014, 09:53 PM
I feel like they only used 3 tracks throughout movie, I guess that was the point because they were very eerie and stuck in your head.Interesting, the score released was, like, 1.5 hours long. It all kind of had a similar feel though, so that'd make sense.

imdaman99
10-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Just got back from this movie. Wow what an amazing piece of work :eek:

I didn't even touch my phone for the whole time after silencing it. I was on the edge the entire movie.
Awesomely done, and I don't like Affleck much at all. Great acting, appreciated the light comedy. It's a must-watch guys. Get it done :rockon:

Joyner82reload
10-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Good movie, although the ending was rushed. If they went back and looked at the full footage of the security cameras at her ex's lakehouse, they would see she was full of s***

embersyc
10-06-2014, 07:17 AM
The soundtrack seemed a bit muted to me (maybe because I was so engrossed in the story), didn't really notice it much, I knew it was Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross, but didn't listen beforehand. Then the credits soundtrack was sort of dark ambient.

About the cameras. They were only on the outside of the place. Not inside.

Thorpesaurous
10-06-2014, 08:28 AM
We should mark this with spoilers so whoever's seen it can openly discuss it, since there's already been a few minor ones in here anyway. Not that I would be bothered. I'm not one who gets too riled up about spoilers beyond something like Darth Vader is Luke's father, or Bruce Willis is dead.

I saw it Saturday night. It's long, and I'll put it in white as it's gonna be spoiler heavy:

I thought it was great. In the rate that movie thread, there was some mild griping about the acting in the first act of the movie. And it did seem a little mechanical, but at the time I had read it as this sort of weirdly idealized version of them because most of what we were seeing was coming from her diary, with her as the narrator. It all felt a little too perfect. I can not say that I had figured out at that point. Just that everything was a bit much. When she finally gets to the memories of him hitting her, it definitely did not ring true to the other things I'd seen about his character. They did a good job of making him seem like a dipshit, but that aggressively violent, especially the shot of him standing over her with the closed fist, just felt off. My feeling was we'd get some other version of the same events from him and everything would come off as this black vs. white vs. gray interpretation of the same events and we'd all learn something about "the Truth".

I enjoyed where it went from there. My main complaint with the whole thing was I thought Rosamund Pike (not really my type, but stunningly gorgeous) got a little off the rails after the robbery. It was a bit over the top. I also wasn't fond of the Neil Patrick Harris Desi character. There just wasn't enough put into it. I'm sure they trimmed out more of his history with her. I would've liked to have known more about the money, and his previous relationship with Amy, and his money. He just came off as unnecessarily creepy for the sake of mood without much cause given. I also have some basic plot issues with the Desi character. I had the same sense about the cameras as mentioned above. Although not so much that they could've figured it out from the videos. I realized that she had mapped out the camera stuff and knew she made a convincing case. My thing was that a guy that wealthy, who is concerned about himself enough to grid out the exterior of his rediculously luxorious lake house, would almost have to be able to be accounted for during the short window they knew to be her abduction. And she did not claim it was some hired hand. She said it was him. He would almost have to have been somewhere with someone even somewhat before or after those events, or on a camera somewhere, that would eliminate him from being there to abduct her. That occurred to me in part because the whole rape death scene was so crazy over the top. But overall, whatever, it is a movie. And it was really enjoyable regardless.

I've said this in regard to other mystery movies like this, but often characters come off a little one note. It's in large part because they're trying not to expose things. But this I thought they did some really good work with some small roles. I liked Affleck. Some of the other guys in the movie thread didn't seem to like him. I don't remember if it was Myth or DonD that mentioned that he seems to have issues with romantic connections. I was alright with that here because like I said I read those early scenes as being surreal and stiff anyway. Go, his sister, I thought was spectacular. Carrie Coon, who practically saved The Leftover's on HBO for me as it plunged into darker and darker places every Sunday, I thought was perfect. Her range of emotion was about the most honestly exposed any character seemed to get, since Affleck was in some sort of shock and clearly had some kind of defense mechanism in his character, and Pike's Amazing Amy went from idealized past to psychotic blank staring. The only other character that got enough time to do anything was Kim Dickens as Detective Boney, and she was all calculating narrative pusher. She's another one I'm fond of going back to Deadwood and now Sons of Anarchy. It was nice to see her play something other than a Lady Pimp. I also thought the spectacular Emily Ratajkowski was surprisingly competent even beyond taking her shirt off in the three scenes she was in. And the woman who played the Nancy Grace character, the idiot neighbor, and Tyler Perry were spectacular as brief comic relief and satire. Even the one scene with the girl who takes the selfie (the chick I like from Episodes with Matt LaBlanc), was funny.

I will also say, it didn't feel like a Fincher flick. It wasn't quite as interesting looking, as shadowy and murky, as I'm accostumed to. And as was pointed out, I liked the score from Reznor, but it did feel muted. It didn't pop the way it did in The Social Network. The more brightly lit almost idealized suburban textures felt almost like something Sam Mendes would've done. And the comic bits, especially the satirical stuff, didn't feel like something I typically associate with Fincher. And while I addressed my take on the stiff acting and less fleshed out characters, the more straight chomping of plot without the more complex characters didn't feel as Fincher-y as I can recall. But it was all very well done. Maybe working from such a direct existing work drove things more.

Also my mother is reading the book. I was going to take her, but she's only about halfway through. I did talk to her about it ahead of time, and she told me about the style of the book (it bounces back and forth from the diary entries to Nick current day being investigated). Apparently because you're getting direct from Nick's POV, it never occurs to her he's the guy, which is drastically different than the movie. But he does do some fishy stuff with the secret cell phone, which is touched on here, but I may not have noticed as much had she also told me about his chapter in the book where he admits to the mistress. I'm curious if anyone else picked up on the cell phone stuff much before the obvious scene with the father in the car?

Overall a really good movie experience. Fun to see in a crowd and get all the WTF ambience of a theatre. I also saw The Equalizer this weekend which I liked, but wasn't especially good. About a month ago I saw The Drop, which I seemed to like more than most, and I'd say it's a toss up between that and this for me. Both have strengths and weeknesses. This will get more press though.

ArbitraryWater
10-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Where can I watch this Movie online? Haven't found anything yet..

riseagainst
10-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Where can I watch this Movie online? Haven't found anything yet..

i think this is one of those movies that is worth watching in the theaters. Totally worth the money.

Myth
10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
8.5/10 good movie for me. First Fincher movie I have liked in a long time.

Thorpesaurous
10-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Pretty good take from Teo Bugbee from Grantland. She seems to touch on a couple things that we already mentioned here, like the coldness from the first act. I'm considering reading the book, which I don't usually do once I've seen a movie.

[QUOTE]Once in Love With Amy: How David Fincher Changed

Crown&Coke
10-06-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't have a huge desire to watch this. But that blonde is beautiful.

Apparently someone gets naked, I hope its her

9erempiree
12-31-2014, 05:04 AM
Just got done seeing this...the acting was great but the movie is a waste of time.

stalkerforlife
12-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Great movie.

Exposes just how psycho women are and they constantly get away with it.

vinsane01
01-01-2015, 12:44 AM
solid movie :cheers:

TheReal Kendall
01-01-2015, 05:20 AM
Movie felt like a comedy to me. Very overrated but it kept me watching. The chick was crazy and the dude even crazier for staying.

Very unrealistic movie when you actually think about it.

outbreak
01-01-2015, 11:42 PM
I literally just finished watching this with my girlfriend. Was highly over rated. The story was the most predictable we've seen in a long time and the ending was stupid and full of plot holes.

ArbitraryWater
08-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Thorpe, I remember you once said that the opening dialogue may have come across so poorly acting wise because it wasn't true/never happened, but actually the way they met was true, the first and only thing durring her narration/diary that was true...

I was confused at him pushing her from the stairs being untrue, btw.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Thorpe pls

Thorpesaurous
08-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Are we sure that was true? I mean I'm sure the structure of it was true, where they met and when they met and stuff like that, but I don't think necessarily that we're not seeing the idealization of that scenario from her perspective at that point.

And even if that is what we're supposed to be seeing, I'm pretty sure it'd be based on content that describes that from the novel (which I didn't read), which I know is written first person from her perspective, as the chapters bounce back and fourth from character perspective iirc (based on what I was told by my mother who read it.)

BTW ... I hadn't been posting much because I was cooking a few months ago and cut the shit out of my hand. My pinky finger to be exact. Cut the tendon, nerve, artery, right down to the bone. I had surgery on it, and typing has been extremely difficult, but the brace I've been forced to wear came off full time last week, and I'm starting to get back into the groove of stuff. So I apologize for anything I missed.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Are we sure that was true? I mean I'm sure the structure of it was true, where they met and when they met and stuff like that, but I don't think necessarily that we're not seeing the idealization of that scenario from her perspective at that point.

And even if that is what we're supposed to be seeing, I'm pretty sure it'd be based on content that describes that from the novel (which I didn't read), which I know is written first person from her perspective, as the chapters bounce back and fourth from character perspective iirc (based on what I was told by my mother who read it.)

BTW ... I hadn't been posting much because I was cooking a few months ago and cut the shit out of my hand. My pinky finger to be exact. Cut the tendon, nerve, artery, right down to the bone. I had surgery on it, and typing has been extremely difficult, but the brace I've been forced to wear came off full time last week, and I'm starting to get back into the groove of stuff. So I apologize for anything I missed.

good point, that was basically her life with the books n all.. I remember the police asking Nick 3 things at the beginning, I think the way they met was one of them and he confirmed it? Regardless, I read that that scene was real couple of times elsewhere, but the idealization makes sense, too.

that sounds bad on the injury.. speedy full recovery :cheers:

Vragrant
08-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Watched it for the first time last night. Great movie, but the ending was so..........abrupt. I was very excited for the final act (supposedly) then the credits started rolling.