PDA

View Full Version : Forbes: LeBron Is World's Most Valuable Athlete "Brand"

Hoopz2332
10-08-2014, 06:59 PM
For the first time since 2007 the top athlete brand is not Tiger Woods. This year (2014) the top spot belongs to LeBron James, who will be rejoining the Cleveland Cavaliers after four seasons and two NBA titles with the Miami Heat. James pulled in $53 million off the court during the past year and his brand is worth $37 million, which is the amount his endorsement and non-basketball earnings exceeded the average of the top 10 off the court earners in the NBA.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/10/07/the-forbes-fab-40-the-worlds-most-valuable-sports-brands-2014/

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlm45fhklg/1-lebron-james/

The Top 10 athlete brands are listed. The only other NBA player in the Top 10 is Kobe Bryant, whose 2014 brand is valued at $15 Million:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlm45fhklg/8-kobe-bryant/

bluechox2
10-08-2014, 07:01 PM
jordan is what, a billion?

Smook A.
10-08-2014, 07:02 PM
omg what a surprise!

SexSymbol
10-08-2014, 07:02 PM
jordan is what, a billion?
Biggest company owner brand after Steve Jobs :bowdown:

Real14
10-08-2014, 07:03 PM
He does bring a lot of money to the table, especially with him being back with Cleveland (horrible city).

Hoopz2332
10-08-2014, 07:08 PM
He does bring a lot of money to the table, especially with him being back with Cleveland (horrible city).

He brings money anywhere he goes. He would even bigger in New York

Real14
10-08-2014, 07:10 PM
He brings money anywhere he goes. He would even bigger in New York
Yep, and that's why he was scared to go because he was scared of the moment, pressure and expectations. Oh yea I forgot about the media too.

SexSymbol
10-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Yep, and that's why he was scared to go because he was scared of the moment, pressure and expectations. Oh yea I forgot about the media too.
Those high expectations of being good enough to make the play-offs.
Standards are really high in the big apple

Real14
10-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Those high expectations of being good enough to make the play-offs.
Standards are really high in the big apple
Oh yea and Cleveland cavs had a better record than the knicks last year:rolleyes:

SexSymbol
10-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Oh yea and Cleveland cavs had a better record than the knicks last year:rolleyes:
Well, 8 teams in the east did. Or 9?

chazzy
10-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Why are you so invested in LeBron popularity?

JT123
10-08-2014, 07:22 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/10/07/the-forbes-fab-40-the-worlds-most-valuable-sports-brands-2014/

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlm45fhklg/1-lebron-james/

The Top 10 athlete brands are listed. The only other NBA player in the Top 10 is Kobe Bryant, whose 2014 brand is valued at $15 Million:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlm45fhklg/8-kobe-bryant/
Lebron beats Kobe again. :lol :lol

Nash
10-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Surprised its not Messi or Cristiano, surely they have a bigger audience.

Guess that shows you the strength of America.

imdaman99
10-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Not surprising the world's 2nd biggest attention whore, with Kim K being #1 has the most valuable brand as an athlete. Arod and bran are pretty much the same person in their respective sports. It's just that basketball doesn't care about steroids.

imdaman99
10-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Lebron wanted to go somewhere where he knew he would not be criticized. He plays GM for the Cavs and will control the media too because we know he is insecure as F. His headband/hairline and getting the video of a kid dunking on him confiscated :oldlol: Imagine him failing in NYC, he would get crucified. Let's face it, some people are too p*ss to take on a challenge.

JT123
10-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Lebron wanted to go somewhere where he knew he would not be criticized. He plays GM for the Cavs and will control the media too because we know he is insecure as F. His headband/hairline and getting the video of a kid dunking on him confiscated :oldlol: Imagine him failing in NYC, he would get crucified. Let's face it, some people are too p*ss to take on a challenge.
:oldlol: You are so mad he didn't go to your team.

Hoopz2332
10-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Lebron beats Kobe again. :lol :lol

:oldlol:

Hey Yo
10-08-2014, 08:01 PM
LeBron playing GM for the Cavs > James "I won't get involved" Dolan owner of the Knicks.

Hoopz2332
10-08-2014, 08:10 PM

Knicks are a sh1t franchise:oldlol:

NBAplayoffs2001
10-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Mayweather would be too if he beats Pacquiao. It's a shame he rarely invests outside of his TBE promotion company.

Heck Tyson somehow being a convicted rapist was the most valuable athlete "brand" in the 1990s by a net worth standard. Was worth $500 million at his peak than Don King decided to be an a-hole.

bukowski81
10-08-2014, 08:21 PM
With the brand MVP and the christmas MVP he gotta be the GOAT

JohnMax
10-08-2014, 08:25 PM
2/5

imdaman99
10-08-2014, 08:54 PM
:oldlol: You are so mad he didn't go to your team.
Not really, because he wouldn't have won shit here with JR Smith as his 2nd option. So in hindsight, I am happy he didn't come here and give us false hope and promise a championship and after 2-3 years quit on us too. I can handle losing, I haven't seen a Knicks championship, what I can't handle is false hope and fake promises. Ewing did the same.

Mr. Jabbar
10-09-2014, 12:10 AM
how about BRAN?

Joyner82reload
10-09-2014, 01:58 AM
The fact that James, who is probably at the peak of his popularity currently, has a brand that is only valued 1 million more than Tiger Woods, who is beyond rock bottom at this point, is absolutely incredible. When Woods was at his absolute peak in terms of popularity, 2000-2002, god knows what his brand was worth adjusted for inflation. It would probably surpass 100 million...

Joyner82reload
10-09-2014, 02:02 AM
Also GG, NBA. It's pretty damn pathetic that Wrestlemania and the NCAA Final 4 are valued as a brand higher than the NBA Finals. I can at least see the Kentucky Derby due to the clientele it attracts, but Wrestlemania? Really?

oarabbus
10-09-2014, 02:23 AM
Not really, because he wouldn't have won shit here with JR Smith as his 2nd option. So in hindsight, I am happy he didn't come here and give us false hope and promise a championship and after 2-3 years quit on us too. I can handle losing, I haven't seen a Knicks championship, what I can't handle is false hope and fake promises. Ewing did the same.

:roll:

Lebron would have taken the '12 and '13 Knicks to the finals

buddha
10-09-2014, 04:12 AM
jordan

SpanishACB
10-09-2014, 06:00 AM
that list is wrong

Messi received 57 million dollars in endorsements from Adidas, Pepsi and Turkish

and C. Ronaldo is on a similar figure

and yet they have this guy, Mahendra Singh Dhoni at 5th with "reportedly worth a combined $4 million annually, up from the $1 million Reebok was paying previously."

Forbes guys, they love their lists but they never clarify how they make them or what they base them off

swagga
10-09-2014, 06:50 AM
that list is wrong

Messi received 57 million dollars in endorsements from Adidas, Pepsi and Turkish

and C. Ronaldo is on a similar figure

and yet they have this guy, Mahendra Singh Dhoni at 5th with "reportedly worth a combined $4 million annually, up from the $1 million Reebok was paying previously."

Forbes guys, they love their lists but they never clarify how they make them or what they base them off

Agree.

I'm certain if they made serious lists messi& ronaldo would be >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
the rest.

The level of world market they have is beyond insane. US is like 300 million. Europe alone has 700 million+. Add south america where football is 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all sports. Add the football boom in the arab states. Add the japanese and south korean markets created by the 2002 world cup (ALOT of cash was made back then) and later solidified. Add the emerging chinese footbal market where your average 5'8' guy will be playing football. Also add africa and mexico, and the ex- soviet states as these too are 90% football as sports.

IMO basketball>> football as entertainment but football is in its own league world wide, and it has a worldwide monopoly. Thankfully for us americans we live in our own world where this reality isn't acknowledged.

305Baller
10-09-2014, 06:58 AM
in other news: the sky is blue.

Walker
10-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Agree.

I'm certain if they made serious lists messi& ronaldo would be >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
the rest.

The level of world market they have is beyond insane. US is like 300 million. Europe alone has 700 million+. Add south america where football is 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all sports. Add the football boom in the arab states. Add the japanese and south korean markets created by the 2002 world cup (ALOT of cash was made back then) and later solidified. Add the emerging chinese footbal market where your average 5'8' guy will be playing football. Also add africa and mexico, and the ex- soviet states as these too are 90% football as sports.

IMO basketball>> football as entertainment but football is in its own league world wide, and it has a worldwide monopoly. Thankfully for us americans we live in our own world where this reality isn't acknowledged.

Actually, once Sebastian Vettel signs his Ferrari deal he'll be by far the biggest brand in sports based on money alone.

SpanishACB
10-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Actually, once Sebastian Vettel signs his Ferrari deal he'll be by far the biggest brand in sports based on money alone.

What?

Not close.

F1 racers have great salaries compared to other sports.

But as far as popularity goes, which is what directly affects brand value, the F1 still lags a bit behind other bigger sports.

Hoopz2332
10-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Agree.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
the rest.

the list includes internat stars also. lebron still came out on top

SpanishACB
10-09-2014, 10:03 AM
the list includes internat stars also. lebron still came out on top

yes but it's funny that in the case of Ronaldo and Messi, what's stated, it's their salaries, plain and simple. In fact, they're both on 15-20 million dollars a year, from their teams.

Now, as far as endorsement goes, it's usually twice as much. In the case of these two, almost three times as much (almost 60 millions each)

So it's a bit strange how they made that list.

Hoopz2332
10-09-2014, 10:14 AM
yes but it's funny that in the case of Ronaldo and Messi, what's stated, it's their salaries, plain and simple. In fact, they're both on 15-20 million dollars a year, from their teams.

Now, as far as endorsement goes, it's usually twice as much. In the case of these two, almost three times as much (almost 60 millions each)

So it's a bit strange how they made that list.

their endorsements aren't that high:biggums:

http://i.imgur.com/Za9PAou.png

http://i.imgur.com/zk1qSOm.png

SpanishACB
10-09-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm calling the source on being wrong and you paste the same source?

The problem with that Forbes list is that it doesn't assume that both Messi and Ronaldo give part of their image rights to their respective clubs and in return get bonuses on earnings. Almost half as much as what they earn in endorsements so they can get their salaries tax free.

Putting their winnings close to 40-60 millions a year, depending on sources. Whilst their salaries are roughly 20 millions a year.

Lebron might make more than they do, I'm not debating that, I don't have all the info. But having them 7th and 9th is laughable. Basically, it's an arbitrary way of making a list without taking into consideration how their economy actually works.

Messi was in China recently, and he brought up as many people as Kobe when he was there, and that's considering Messi is not any popular in China, in comparison to other countries where he actually is. "Adidas released a limited edition commemorative Messi shoe after Messi broke Barcelona’s all-time scoring record in March. It sold out within an hour in the U.S.". In the U.S. Lebron doesn't have that power in ANY soccer country.

Forbes contradicting itself: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2014/05/16/lionel-messi-agrees-to-new-50-million-a-year-deal-with-barcelona/

Hoopz2332
10-09-2014, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=SpanishACB]I'm calling the source on being wrong and you paste the same source?

The problem with that Forbes list is that it doesn't assume that both Messi and Ronaldo give part of their image rights to their respective clubs and in return get bonuses on earnings. Almost half as much as what they earn in endorsements so they can get their salaries tax free.

Putting their winnings close to 40-60 millions a year, depending on sources. Whilst their salaries are roughly 20 millions a year.

Lebron might make more than they do, I'm not debating that, I don't have all the info. But having them 7th and 9th is laughable. Basically, it's an arbitrary way of making a list without taking into consideration how their economy actually works.

Messi was in China recently, and he brought up as many people as Kobe when he was there, and that's considering Messi is not any popular in China, in comparison to other countries where he actually is. "Adidas released a limited edition commemorative Messi shoe after Messi broke Barcelona

Hoopz2332
10-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Messi, ronaldo and lebron's endorsement earnings

http://i.imgur.com/1XuwgGK.png

http://i.imgur.com/aK113Ab.png

http://i.imgur.com/wTwaVtW.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2014/06/11/floyd-mayweather-heads-2014-list-of-the-worlds-highest-paid-athletes/

Soccer dudes = most of their money from their league salary

most popular NBA players = most of their money in endorsements because of the NBA salary cap

SpanishACB
10-09-2014, 04:07 PM
you're getting it wrong like Forbes is getting it wrong

Ronaldo and Messi give the majority of their image rights to their clubs

which in turn gives it back to them tax free in the form of club earnings

see how their salary/winnings is on 50-60 millions? And yet their contracts are on 20 millions a year (check any online source)

and the only reason they're on 20 millions salary is because this image rights strategy, footballers before Messi and Ronaldo barely broke the 15 million a year cap on salary

get it now?