PDA

View Full Version : Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

loot
03-29-2007, 04:33 PM
LeBron James vs. Stephon Marbury: The $150 Shoe vs. the $15 Shoe

Before the game, James took a little shot at Marbury's $14.98 kicks, saying he couldn't imagine endorsing a sneaker that cheap. "No, I don't think so," James said. "Me being with Nike, we hold our standards high."

Marbury, who is friendly with James, was lacing up his Starburys before the game when informed of LeBron's comment. He thought about it for a moment and said, "I'd rather own than be owned."

Nice quote by Marbury. And very, very true. Although he lost a step according to many, I'm becoming a fan more and more. He's having one of his best seasons too.

Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-sbkside295150100mar29,0,6341008.story and http://nba.aolsportsblog.com/2007/03/29/lebron-james-vs-stephon-marbury-the-150-shoe-vs-the-15-shoe/

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I would rather be owned...

100s of millions of dollars and security for your family forever > what others think

money is money....period

unless you are the boss at your job you are being owned...

Cannonball
LeBron James vs. Stephon Marbury: The $150 Shoe vs. the $15 Shoe

Nice quote by Marbury. And very, very true. Although he lost a step according to many, I'm becoming a fan more and more. He's having one of his best seasons too.
Good line by Marbury.

dejordan
that's funny. twice i went to buy the starbury's (for $15, i've got to try them!) in herald square and both times they were totally sold out of the black, so they are clearly pretty popular, though to be honest i don't think i've seen anyone wearing them. jordan's are still the crazy popular brand in nyc.

Kblaze8855
Ive seen a lot of people in Marburys shoe. Maybe more than Lebrons recently. Dont make it a point to look though so maybe thats why....

Just notice when someone points it out.

PMshooter
03-29-2007, 04:39 PM
So Marbury actually balls in those shoes huh? I might have to give them a try when my current, uh, phat kicks wear down. Actually for $15 I can give them a try whenever, I guess.

Soccer10
03-29-2007, 04:39 PM
LeBron said nothing wrong. After all, he is with Nike.. You really think they'd sell shoes for $15? Get real.

LeBron's losing points in my book because I really wanted him to become something special and all time great..but I think I'm slowly starting to see that he's not as good as I thought he was.

It's not because of stats or anything. It's mostly because now I actually have a chance to watch every game he plays instead of just highlights.

Too bad :(

Knoe Itawl
03-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Pretty shytty comment by Bron.

Kblaze8855
03-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Lebron if he manages just 5 more years at his current level would be a first ballot hall of famer. 9 years...8 of them on a level equal to or better than the primes of some people in the HOF. He has to do so much to live up to expectations its really not fair. If playing at a HOF level from your second season out of HS on isnt good enough what is?

Soccer10
03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Lebron if he manages just 5 more years at his current level would be a first ballot hall of famer. 9 years...8 of them on a level equal to or better than the primes of some people in the HOF. He has to do so much to live up to expectations its really not fair. If playing at a HOF level from your second season out of HS on isnt good enough what is?

Oh, he"ll definitely be a HOF.

The thing is that I bought the hype and thought he'd be like MJ and Magic.
But then again, I didn't watch many games at the time and I just looked at stats which looked impressive.

Now that I see him play I don't feel like I'm watching such a great player.
Maybe that's just me but he isn't nearly as skilled offensively as T Mac was in Orlando.

I don't like his mid range game. Doesn't seem so skilled. Even his passing isn't all that. Seems to me that he only scores off of 3 pointers and driving to the basket.

Just doesn't look gracious at all.

But then again, his stats are great, his team is consistantly good...more power to him.. :bowdown:

Just saying that I was so much more impressed when I actually didn't watch him play.

L.Kizzle
03-29-2007, 04:53 PM
LeBron sucks if he said that.

"I couldn't wear something that cheap" and "We hold our standards high"

The media should blast into his ass for those comments. Thats why kids are shhoting each other up to fit in and wear LeBrons (or insert Jordans 15 years ago)

Knoe Itawl
03-29-2007, 04:55 PM

WTF does this have to do with his comments about Marbury's shoes?

Samurai Swoosh
03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I agree with LeBron with what he meant. If I'm playing ball I want something sturdier and more reliable than a pair of $15 cheaply made shoes. However, his comments are way off base and incredibly rude. I think he worded it wrong, but you also have to take into account context. He was asked a question, which may or may not have been to corner LeBron into feeling bad about endorsing a more expensive product, so in turn he was defending the company he represents.

Poseidon
03-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I didn't expect anything less from some ghetto punk who calls himself "King" and has "chosen 1" inked across his back. I'm a "WITNESS" to the one of the biggest, most arrogant jerks in all of professional sports. He could learn a thing or two from Marbury.

L.Kizzle
I agree with LeBron with what he meant. If I'm playing ball I want something sturdier and more reliable than a pair of $15 cheaply made shoes. However, his comments are way off base and incredibly rude. I think he worded it wrong, but you also have to take into account context. He was asked a question, which may or may not have been to corner LeBron into feeling bad about endorsing a more expensive product, so in turn he was defending the company he represents.

Um Brons and Starburs shoes are probally made in the same damn place with the same material.

Poseidon
WTF does this have to do with his comments about Marbury's shoes?

LOL, I'm asking myself the same thing after reading that.

-primetime-

The thing is that I bought the hype and thought he'd be like MJ and Magic.But then again, I didn't watch many games at the time and I just looked at stats which looked impressive.

Maybe that's just me but he isn't nearly as skilled offensively as T Mac was in Orlando.

I don't like his mid range game. Doesn't seem so skilled. Even his passing isn't all that. Seems to me that he only scores off of 3 pointers and driving to the basket.

But then again, his stats are great, his team is consistantly good...more power to him.. :bowdown:

Just saying that I was so much more impressed when I actually didn't watch him play.

that is just dumb...

someone said he is going to be the next Jordan and you believed it...

no one will ever be the next Jordan...

not Kobe....not Lebron...not anyone....Jordan is Jordan

in fact this may sound stupid but one of my gripes with Lebron is that he wears the number 23...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 05:02 PM
I didn't expect anything less from some ghetto punk who calls himself "King" and has "chosen 1" inked across his back. I'm a "WITNESS" to the one of the biggest, most arrogant jerks in all of professional sports. He could learn a thing or two from Marbury.

FIRST OFF...

I don't like Lebron but do we know if he said this in a joking manner or not?

I doubt he was being totally straight faced and serious about it...

he probablly had a big smile on his face...

L.Kizzle
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Who care if Bron is a future Hall of Famer or not.

I think this is a real important statement somebody made, especially somebody young, rich and black. I guess Bill Cosby was right all this time. Some famous black man just said he would never wear something cheap.

shok
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
As the top athlete for Nike NBA and a business man himself, he said the right thing by endorsing the company he works for. That's his job, to get people to buy the sponsorships' products.

Of course he could have said something a little less arrogant like, "I think its great what Marbury is doing and I wish him well".

Then we'll have a new thread saying "Bron acts Humble, again! He's so phony, just speak the truth"

Kblaze8855
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
About as much as this:

LeBron's losing points in my book because I really wanted him to become something special and all time great..but I think I'm slowly starting to see that he's not as good as I thought he was.

Which is what I was talking about.

The thing is that I bought the hype and thought he'd be like MJ and Magic.
But then again, I didn't watch many games at the time and I just looked at stats which looked impressive.

Jordan and Magic combined is a bit much for anyone to live up to. What would that even be? Like a 33/12/9 player shooting 50-55% and winning 7 titles?

He is what he is. Being a 27/7/7 player at 19....then a 30/7/7 player at 20 and second in MVP voting. Great year this year. And its not like he doesnt win. On pace for back to back 50 win seasons.

Hes doing way better than anyone here predicted before he got to the L. I remember people calling me an idiot for saying hed get between 13-15ppg and 5 rebounds and assists as a rookie. People caught up in summer league and preseason shooting percentages. The only people I heard predicting what he is now is media types like Kornheiser on PTI who we all considered dumb for saying Bron would bea 20ppg rookie and all time great by 21.

Hes actually surpassed most expectations. Hes just not reached the truly insane ones yet.

gts
03-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Um Brons and Starburs shoes are probally made in the same damn place with the same material. lol you got it...

Soccer10
03-29-2007, 05:09 PM
that is just dumb...

someone said he is going to be the next Jordan and you believed it...

no one will ever be the next Jordan...

not Kobe....not Lebron...not anyone....Jordan is Jordan

in fact this may sound stupid but one of my gripes with Lebron is that he wears the number 23...

Someone said did????

Where did you live? Under a rock?

Let me remind you a bit

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2c/Si-cover_lebron_james_2002.jpg/180px-Si-cover_lebron_james_2002.jpg

http://www.cavshistory.com/images/magazines/lebron-3.jpg

http://www.internationalbasketball.com/tattoos-lebronjames.jpg

And that's only 1 % of everything. Read some articles or something.

And yes, I did buy into hype.

The thing is, like I said, I had little opportunity to watch him play, like a few games in 3 years.
And just from watching his stats, I saw a monster who at 22 averaged over 30 points and 7 assists.. At 21 he averaged 21 points and 7 assists..

So I thought to myself, MJ's scoring ability and Magic's passing ability?

You won't believe the things that people will believe if they don't in fact watch games.
Last 2 years I was 100 % sure that he was better than Kobe.

But when you actually watch games...blah..it's different.

Has very little grace. Doesn't make plays that make you go WOOOW.
Not that special, not gracious at all.

Doesn't mean that he's not a great player but when I watch him play I don't see the best player in the league. Sorry but no.
And last 2 years I thought he was the best.

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 05:10 PM
If you put an aftermarket insole like a Spenco in the Starbury's, they're not the worst shoe ever. They're still stiff and were superglued together and the leather doesn't flex, but they're about on par with Reeboks or some of the cheap Nikes like Nike Air Ups that MSRP for 64.99, even though the basic "air" and hexalyte cushioning techs totally ***** on what is literally styrofoam underneath the Starbury insoles.

There's a market for both though and I really admire what Marbury is trying to do here. If you go to Steve and Barry's in the section where they sell them, they have an everplaying DVD of him going around Coney Island and talking about them.

The clothes are hot too, I got a few items

They might be made in the same place, but they're not the same materials. Unless you want to be very basic and say LeBron's have leather on them, Starbury's have leather on them so they're the same.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 05:10 PM
lol you got it...

they might be the same materials and made in the same country but Nikes are higher quality...

maybe not $135 worth of higher quality but if I had to pick one give me the Nikes

Soccer10
03-29-2007, 05:13 PM
About as much as this:

Which is what I was talking about.

Jordan and Magic combined is a bit much for anyone to live up to. What would that even be? Like a 33/12/9 player shooting 50-55% and winning 7 titles?

He is what he is. Being a 27/7/7 player at 19....then a 30/7/7 player at 20 and second in MVP voting. Great year this year. And its not like he doesnt win. On pace for back to back 50 win seasons.

Hes doing way better than anyone here predicted before he got to the L. I remember people calling me an idiot for saying hed get between 13-15ppg and 5 rebounds and assists as a rookie. People caught up in summer league and preseason shooting percentages. The only people I heard predicting what he is now is media types like Kornheiser on PTI who we all considered dumb for saying Bron would bea 20ppg rookie and all time great by 21.

Hes actually surpassed most expectations. Hes just not reached the truly insane ones yet.

That's exactly it. You bring up his stats. His stats are what made me think that he's the best.

But when I watch him play I just don't get the same impresion. I'm not impressed. I don't wow at him. I don't find him entertaining and spectacular. I don't find him that skilled.

Don't like to admit this but Wade actually looks much better to me when I watch him play.

That's just it....he's the best when you just concentrate on stats whereas other players make you wow.
Magic had that.
MJ had that.
Even Duncan has that.

I just don't see that in LeBron.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Someone said did????

Where did you live? Under a rock?

Let me remind you a bit

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2c/Si-cover_lebron_james_2002.jpg/180px-Si-cover_lebron_james_2002.jpg

http://www.cavshistory.com/images/magazines/lebron-3.jpg

http://www.internationalbasketball.com/tattoos-lebronjames.jpg

And that's only 1 % of everything. Read some articles or something.

And yes, I did buy into hype.

The thing is, like I said, I had little opportunity to watch him play, like a few games in 3 years.
And just from watching his stats, I saw a monster who at 22 averaged over 30 points and 7 assists.. At 21 he averaged 21 points and 7 assists..

So I thought to myself, MJ's scoring ability and Magic's passing ability?

You won't believe the things that people will believe if they don't in fact watch games.
Last 2 years I was 100 % sure that he was better than Kobe.

But when you actually watch games...blah..it's different.

Has very little grace. Doesn't make plays that make you go WOOOW.
Not that special, not gracious at all.

Doesn't mean that he's not a great player but when I watch him play I don't see the best player in the league. Sorry but no.
And last 2 years I thought he was the best.

yeah I remember his name getting thrown in with Jordan's...

I remember the same with Kobe...

did I ever actually think they would be as good as Jordan....HELL NO

that being said Lebron is still only 22 years old...he has all the time in the world to prove he is the next Jordan...do I think it will happen?...HELL NO

Real Men Wear Green
03-29-2007, 05:16 PM
The best and smartest guys on the court aren't always the best and smartest off the court, and vice versa. This is a prime example of that...although let me make it clear that I'm not calling James a bad person, he's just emulating Jordan's off-court style, which means that he's bought and paid for. No loyal Nike man would be complimentary of Marbury's shoes. Marbury isn't nearly as smart as James on the court but he's much more concerned about helping people, and for that, I'm a fan.

SomeBunghole
03-29-2007, 05:25 PM
The best and smartest guys on the court aren't always the best and smartest off the court, and vice versa. This is a prime example of that...although let me make it clear that I'm not calling James a bad person, he's just emulating Jordan's off-court style, which means that he's bought and paid for. No loyal Nike man would be complimentary of Marbury's shoes.

Why would Lebron be loyal to Nike though? It's just business. If his career suddenly declined steeply, they'd dump him before he knew what was happening.

That's what bothers me about these comments. He goes a little too far in "defending" Nike. I don't expect him to criticize his sponsor, but I also don't expect him to praise them.

L.Kizzle
03-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Why would Lebron be loyal to Nike though? It's just business. If his career suddenly declined steeply, they'd dump him before he knew what was happening.

That's what bothers me about these comments. He goes a little too far in "defending" Nike. I don't expect him to criticize his sponsor, but I also don't expect him to praise them.
Exacly, I doubt Penny Hardaway is praising NIKE right now.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 05:29 PM
this is kinda dumb...

If Marbury could trade his $15 sneakers for his own $100 million dollar Nike contract he would do it in a heartbeat...

If Nike owns Lebron then we are all owned...

I guess the real question is if Lebron said that with a straight face or a smile...and either way I still don't like the guy

aj242
03-29-2007, 05:30 PM
The funny thing is Lebron's shoe is probably of the same quailty that Marbury's. Just marked up 100%.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 05:31 PM
The funny thing is Lebron's shoe is probably of the same quailty that Marbury's. Just marked up 100%.

no they are higher quality...no question...just not $135 higher in quality.

Real Men Wear Green
03-29-2007, 05:36 PM

He's loyal to Nike because they're paying him a hundred million dollars. I'm completely against the child labor an slave wages Nike has and probably still does hand out in Asia to make their shoes cheaply but if they offered me a hundred mil, I'd have a hard time saying "no"...and if you accept that cash you're going to defend their interests, period. That's a ridiculous amount of money. I wouldn't betray my mother over it, but I have a few cousins I'd consider stabbing for a hundred million...just joking. Maybe. But I'd certainly be willing to talk trash about other shoe companies for it. Heck, for 50 bucks I'd call AI's "Question" cow manure. Anyhow, Nike can't dump James unless he gets himself arrested for something severe. And he'd probably have to get convicted before they moved against his contract, as they stuck with Kobe Bryant throughout his rape trial. That money is guaranteed and definitely buys some loyalty. A hundred million? Praise is the least he can do.

Real Men Wear Green
03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Exacly, I doubt Penny Hardaway is praising NIKE right now.
Hardaway got all of his guaranteed money, they just didn't renew him when injuries took away his game. That's to be expected.

Brunch@Five
03-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Bron wasn't defending Nike, he was purely bashing Marbury's shoes.

SomeBunghole
03-29-2007, 05:42 PM
He's loyal to Nike because they're paying him a hundred million dollars. I'm completely against the child labor an slave wages Nike has and probably still does hand out in Asia to make their shoes cheaply but if they offered me a hundred mil, I'd have a hard time saying "no"...and if you accept that cash you're going to defend their interests, period. That's a ridiculous amount of money. I wouldn't betray my mother over it, but I have a few cousins I'd consider stabbing for a hundred million...just joking. Maybe. But I'd certainly be willing to talk trash about other shoe companies for it. Heck, for 50 bucks I'd call AI's "Question" cow manure. Anyhow, Nike can't dump James unless he gets himself arrested for something severe. And he'd probably have to get convicted before they moved against his contract, as they stuck with Kobe Bryant throughout his rape trial. That money is guaranteed and definitely buys some loyalty. A hundred million? Praise is the least he can do.

I wasn't suggesting Nike would try and get out of their contract, I was saying that when his contract expired, they'd kick him like a stray dog. Loyalty implies relationship beyond business, that's what I'm getting at. Lebron shouldn't care the slightest about Nike. His money is guaranteed, who cares if the shoes are selling or not?

I don't know, it just bothers me that he speaks so highly of a company that is hell-bent on exploiting him in every way possible. I guess a 100 million can buy you a lot of dignity.

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Nike's generally cost about 20$ to produce, with the exception of a shoe like the Air Force 1 which only cost 5$ (it's obviously a very simple shoe) and the foamposite molds actually cost 1000s to make, but you only have to make one per size so I don't know how you'd factor that into cost.

And Nike is still selling Penny Hardaway shoes to this day, in fact they're among the most popular Nike's. I'm not sure whether or not he still gets paid for it, but it's not like how Adidas still sells Kobe's but just renamed them and calls them "Crazy 8s" and "Crazy 1s." Hell, NBA players still wear both.

loot
03-29-2007, 05:48 PM
no they are higher quality...no question...just not $135 higher in quality.

No question? Yes, one: proof it to me. Whe are they higher in quality?

Amigo
03-29-2007, 05:48 PM
good for marbs:applause:

Cool
03-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Not a great comment by Lebron at all, Starbury is right and is doing the right thing, making show affordable for Kids who cant afford Lebrons dumb shoes, yes I see his point and all but come on no need to diss what Starbury is trying to do. He has a good reason and its very classy and respectful for him to do what he is doing. IMO for Lebron to say "We set our standards high". Thats like saying F poor people we just want to please the wealthy and we dont care if the poor cant buy it. But take for what its worth.

tenzan
03-29-2007, 05:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbury

On March 23, 2007, Starbury was featured in a segment on the ABC show 20/20 (edition entitled "Enough!"), hosted by John Stossel. The segment dealt with the high price of sneakers and the role of Starbury and Marbury as an alternative. During the show, Marbury stated "If you take my shoe and you take a $150 shoe, cut it down in half, and it do the same exact thing.". The host Stossel puts Marbury's statement to the test and a pair of Starbury One's are brought to Professor Howard Davis, Shoe Design department professor at Parsons The New School for Design. Davis proceeds to cut apart the Starbury One's and a pair of "$100 plus Air Jordan's" and states "They're constructed the same way". Stossel then mentions "others in the business" came to the same conclusion.

GOBB
03-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Bad comment on Bron's part. But that doesnt make me a fan of Starbury tho. I'm not anti-Starbury, just neutral and this affected that status none. But you gotta applaud Starbury for what he has tried to do. Be nice if others joined in and made a statement.

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 05:57 PM
so what does "constructed in the same way mean?" That's a really vague, and probably intentionally so, statement.

Real Men Wear Green
03-29-2007, 05:58 PM
I wasn't suggesting Nike would try and get out of their contract, I was saying that when his contract expired, they'd kick him like a stray dog. Loyalty implies relationship beyond business, that's what I'm getting at. Lebron shouldn't care the slightest about Nike. His money is guaranteed, who cares if the shoes are selling or not?

I don't know, it just bothers me that he speaks so highly of a company that is hell-bent on exploiting him in every way possible. I guess a 100 million can buy you a lot of dignity.
It's not like Nike is making James stand naked in chains on the slave block. His "dignity" isn't being majorly infringed upon in any way. And you're wondering why he cares whether or not the shoes sell? Nothing personal, but that's downright stupid. If his shoes don't sell then Nike won't be handing him the 150 million or whatever contract he asks for when his deal is next up for renewal. You don't take a hundred mil and then turn around and show apathy towards a company if you want them or anyone else watching to continue to give you contracts. Now if I was James I might have said something like, "he's entitled to try and start his business, but I'm sure that Nike makes the best sneakers in the world" instead of attacking Marbury's shoe, but he sent a message to Nike and other potential sponsors that when you sign LeBron James you get someone 100% committed to your company, and fir James, that's smart business.

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 06:03 PM
I can't wait til the next time they play the Kings, and him and Brad Miller get into fisticuffs over what's the best riding lawnmower.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
No question? Yes, one: proof it to me. Whe are they higher in quality?

come on dude...are you seriously going to tell me that a $15 starbury is better quality than a decent Nike?

when you buy the Lebron's they probably come with so many air pockets you can make a trampoline with them...

seriously though...I am sure they have much better ankle support, weight, grip, feel , ect...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:06 PM
so what does "constructed in the same way mean?" That's a really vague, and probably intentionally so, statement.

yeah...

hey guess what a ferrarri and an accord are constructed the same way...

does that mean they are the same quality?

a Lexus and a mazda are made from the same materials and by the same people...does that make them the same car?

loot
03-29-2007, 06:09 PM
come on dude...are you seriously going to tell me that a $15 starbury is better quality than a decent Nike?

when you buy the Lebron's they probably come with so many air pockets you can make a trampoline with them...

seriously though...I am sure they have much better ankle support, weight, grip, feel , ect...

Well you said 'no question'. I'd like to hear how that's a no question. Like it's no question Audi is >> Volkswagen and Volkswagen >>> Skoda, all while they're the same cars, some with some extras? It's not quality.

So yeah, please proofe to me how it's 'no question'...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Well you said 'no question'. I'd like to hear how that's a no question. Like it's no question Audi is >> Volkswagen and Volkswagen >>> Skoda, all while they're the same cars, some with some extras? It's not quality.

So yeah, please proofe to me how it's 'no question'...

"prove"....that is twice you have asked me to proofe it to you...

what do you want a shoe customer review or something?

besides all the air pockets and money that went into designing them what more do you want?

loot
03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
yeah...

hey guess what a ferrarri and an accord are constructed the same way...

does that mean they are the same quality?

a Lexus and a mazda are made from the same materials and by the same people...does that make them the same car?

no but a toyota or volvo could be considered better quality than a mercedes c or s class, which are both considered unreliable. and they're both way more expensive than most toyotas and volvos

loot
03-29-2007, 06:15 PM

besides all the air pockets and money that went into designing them what more do you want?

all thse air pocketts and kareem and some others played 18 years on the highest level without shox and special air units in the upper right toe area. i dont think the amount of air units really makes a shoe 'better quality', besids, air doesnt cost a thing.

plus, you assume. assume leaves quite some room for questions and doubt.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
no but a toyota or volvo could be considered better quality than a mercedes c or s class, which are both considered unreliable. and they're both way more expensive than most toyotas and volvos

huh?...

I own a mercedes S430...it is higher quality and has "proven" better preformance and a smoother ride than any toyota...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:17 PM
all thse air pocketts and kareem and some others played 18 years on the highest level without shox and special air units in the upper right toe area. i dont think the amount of air units really makes a shoe 'better quality', besids, air doesnt cost a thing.

plus, you assume. assume leaves quite some room for questions and doubt.

air pocket placement and design cost them millions to create

hwliuLAP
03-29-2007, 06:17 PM
this is kinda dumb...

If Marbury could trade his $15 sneakers for his own $100 million dollar Nike contract he would do it in a heartbeat...

If Nike owns Lebron then we are all owned...

I guess the real question is if Lebron said that with a straight face or a smile...and either way I still don't like the guy

1st I don't think the would trade his sneakers for a contract from Nike
sure money is great, but he doesn't mark his sneaker price up for a good reason

2nd Lebron just made a horrible comment, the shoes that are produced by Nike are not higher quality at all, I have friend who's parents owns factories in Asia, they are all the same material and labor just before putting on the logo

3rd I can live with Lebron having to protect Nike, but still he doesn't need to try to bring to "quality" and "price" into the subject, because they are irrelevant.

And yes, the way he said either if it was kidding or serious would matter,
but still, some guy who is trying to call out others for having a less expensive shoes.
All the starbury kid is gonna be made fun of tomorrow in school
Bad Example

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 06:19 PM
-primetime-, you are retarded. All these shoes are made overseas for the minimalist of wages. Thet are made exactly the same, but with different design. I'm sure it cost somewhere around $10 to make Starbury's or Lebron's. I'd like to see you're sources to prove that the Nike's are higher quality in some way.

Free
03-29-2007, 06:19 PM

You do know that for years, Nike has been HIGHLY suspected of being involved in the free trade system in which they spend less than $5 to buy and manufacture each shoe. The price of the shoe doesn't represent the quality.

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
-primetime-, you are retarded. All these shoes are made overseas for the minimalist of wages. Thet are made exactly the same, but with different design. I'm sure it cost somewhere around $10 to make Starbury's or Lebron's. I'd like to see you're sources to prove that the Nike's are higher quality in some way.

He is only making assumptions so far. Either way what Lebron said was wrong, no need to put it that way. I am sure Lebron's shoes are better, barely, but no where near 135$ better. More like 10$.

Younggrease
03-29-2007, 06:22 PM
air pocket placement and design cost them millions to create

and they are made back easily. Most of the shoe technologies dont get any better. Shoes arent noticably better than they were 10 years ago. Most of the technologies are basically the same.

I get my Nike's for free but I know they are usually crappy in terms of quality. Every1 on my team goes through at least 2 pairs every bball season of 130-150 dollar shoes. Sorry but thats not quality.

The funny thing about Bron is that i believe that he is prob ignorant to why people wouldnt like Nike as a company. He just doesnt seem very inteligent or in touch with major issues. For someone who wants so much he does little to better himself in order to achieve it.

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 06:23 PM
You do know that for years, Nike has been HIGHLY suspected of being involved in the free trade system in which they spend less than $5 to buy and manufacture each shoe. The price of the shoe doesn't represent the quality.

Which is why someone brought up the fact that some shoes were cut open to see the difference.

loot
03-29-2007, 06:24 PM
huh?...

I own a mercedes S430...it is higher quality and has "proven" better preformance and a smoother ride than any toyota...

The Most Unreliable Cars
Sedans most likely to send you back to the dealer. Worst performer first.

1.) Mercedes-Benz - S-Class - $100,000
2.) Jaguar - S-Type - $51,000
3.) BMW - 7 Series - $94,000
4.) Jaguar - X-Type - $33,000
5.) Mercedes-Benz - E-Class - $64,000
6.) Mercedes-Benz - C-Class (V6) - $40,000
7.) Volvo - S60 (AWD) - $32,000
8.) Saab - 9-3 - $35,000
9.) Pontiac - Grand Prix - $25,000
10.) Volkswagen - Passat (AWD) - $28,000
11.) BMW - 5 Series - $58,000

I'm talking about reliabilty here. I consider that as a big part of the quality of a car. Toyota and Volvo have been at the top of those lists year after year after year. If a czr is unreliable I can't consider it as high quality, sorry.

"Straight-Six, Automotive Journalism without the Restrictor PlatesIn the face of the 2000-2005 S-Class sedan garnering a reputation as one of the most unreliable Mercedes to own."

I could go on. You get the point. Prices don't indicate quality. Look at food. The budgetbrands are produced in the same factory as your regular Heinz etc products. The difference is the label and the price. It's the same with the shoes.

And still you havent given me any proof why Lebrons are 'no question' of higher quality. What you're doing is assuming. Guessing.

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
and they are made back easily. Most of the shoe technologies dont get any better. Shoes arent noticably better than they were 10 years ago. Most of the technologies are basically the same.

I get my Nike's for free but I know they are usually crappy in terms of quality. Every1 on my team goes through at least 2 pairs every bball season of 130-150 dollar shoes. Sorry but thats not quality.
I agree, I need at least 2 pairs of shoes for a full basketball season. Nike shocks are very low quality in terms of durability, the shox tear apart after one solid month of basketball. The insides of the shoes also tend to tear quickly. The $135 on the box is just the retail price Nike suggests, it has nothing to do with the actual value of the shoe.

gts
03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
air pocket placement and design cost them millions to create yes that's correct and marketing those air pockets cost another wad of cash...that's why Nike's cost more than other shoes, not because they are that much better but because they spent that much more bringing them to market

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
the first Starbury review that poped up on google...

Overall Rating: 5 or 15 Shots
The final rating of these shoes really depends on what you're using them for. If you want something that looks cool to walk around in, then the Starbury Ones are a damn good shoe for $15. You could probably even use some gel inserts to make them more comfortable. BUT...if you expect to play basketball in them, you're going to be tragically disappointed. Not only will you end up with chronically sore feet to go along with your aching knees and ankles, the shoes aren't constructed well enough to last long under the pressure of serious balling. This isn't in the tagline, but Marbury might have created the first fully disposable basketball shoe.

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2006/08/official-starbury-one-shoe-review.html

all of you calling me dumb for saying the Nike's are higher quality need to just face the truth and get real...I don't care if they are made by the same asian slaves and with the same materials...MORE THOUGHT AND MONEY WENT INTO DESIGNING THEM...PERIOD

if you guys want to go give that thin leather a try on the court go for it...

and I still think that the real question here is "WAS LEBRON SAYING THAT IN A JOKING MANNER OR WAS HE STRAIGHT FACED"...

loot
03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
funny thing is, i still can play on my reebok atr swaggers from a few years ago. no fancy stuff, just a very plain shoe and they fit really nice.

http://www.tarmac.de/shop/media/Reebok_ATR_SWAGGER_110k.gif

just like these nike 2k3's

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/e2/05/Nike_Zoom_2K3_Basketball_Shoe-resized200.jpg

simple shoes, nothing too fancy. just like the ones marbury sells.

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 06:28 PM

The funny thing about Bron is that i believe that he is prob ignorant to why people wouldnt like Nike as a company. He just doesnt seem very inteligent or in touch with major issues. For someone who wants so much he does little to better himself in order to achieve it.
Someone buy some Starbury's and disect them and I'll do the same with any of my old Nike's. I don't see what dissection would prove per say since there's an element of performance and durability also at question but you'll see the styrofoam I'm talking about in the Starbury. Or you could just take the insoles out, or just take the paper out that's stuffed in them and the insole will accidentally rip some of the way out.

Younggrease
yes that's correct and marketing those air pockets cost another wad of cash...that's why Nike's cost more than other shoes, not because they are that much better but because they spent that much more bringing them to market

Nope they cost that much becuase they simply trying to maximize profits. The same reason they "exploit" 3rd world worker(there is some debate to be had there, depends on p.o.v.).

KINGofTHEcourt
yes that's correct and marketing those air pockets cost another wad of cash...that's why Nike's cost more than other shoes, not because they are that much better but because they spent that much more bringing them to market
Do you think that Starbury does not advertise? Advertising is an expense to any company. The money used to develop the air pockets was easily made back.

loot
03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
if you guys want to go give that thin leather a try on the court go for it...

marbury plays on them. ben wallace will wear them

sheed has been playing on air force ones. shoes i really dont like to play on. but they are practically the same as they were, what...15 years ago? so much for all the time and money nike has been investing. how many games did ben wallace, sheed and marbury miss due to ankle, knee and other leg related injuries? not many.

gts
03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
the thing i noticed is the older shoes pre air pockets feel better for longer, the air pocket shoes start to feel odd after a period of time, like the air pockets collapsed or something

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:32 PM
marbury plays on them. ben wallace will wear them

sheed has been playing on air force ones. shoes i really dont like to play on. but they are practically the same as they were, what...15 years ago? so much for all the time and money nike has been investing. how many games did ben wallace, sheed and marbury miss due to ankle, knee and other leg related injuries? not many.

because they get paid to wear them...

Marbury is owned by Sarbury just as much as Lebron is owned by Nike...

Kblaze8855
03-29-2007, 06:32 PM
That's exactly it. You bring up his stats. His stats are what made me think that he's the best.

But when I watch him play I just don't get the same impresion. I'm not impressed. I don't wow at him. I don't find him entertaining and spectacular. I don't find him that skilled.

Don't like to admit this but Wade actually looks much better to me when I watch him play.

That's just it....he's the best when you just concentrate on stats whereas other players make you wow.
Magic had that.
MJ had that.
Even Duncan has that.

I just don't see that in LeBron.

While I get what you are saying(on a basic level) I dont agree with it. Bron isnt Magic and Jordan. Or even Gervin/VC/Mcgrady/Drexler when it comes to just beautiful moves. He and Wade are more like Nique, Grant Hill, and players like that. But ive always enjoyed both ends. Wade seems more robitic than Bron does to me. Bron has some smooth elements.

Only thing that he does that annoys me is the fake look away pass where he throws it...then looks off. Its strictly for show and doesnt even look good as that. Just.....odd.

Aside from that his game is pretty entertaining. As far as who is best to watch at the top of their games id put him next to Nash, Wade, Duncan, and Mcgrady as my favorites. Kobe used to be. 03 and before. But Kobe doesnt really entertain me now. Impresses me. But not really entertain.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Someone buy some Starbury's and disect them and I'll do the same with any of my old Nike's. I don't see what dissection would prove per say since there's an element of performance and durability also at question but you'll see the styrofoam I'm talking about in the Starbury. Or you could just take the insoles out, or just take the paper out that's stuffed in them and the insole will accidentally rip some of the way out.

this guy did...

Wearability: 5 Shots
This is where the Starbury Ones fail. They just aren't comfortable. They ride high and really grip the ankle. This means that the shoes are hard to get on, rub the hell out of your ankle while you're wearing them, and then they're hard to take off. They're also rather big and clunky for basketball shoes, reminiscent of basketball shoes from the mid-90s. Fortunately (or unfortunately), the leather is thin and so the shoes are actually pretty light.

Speaking of the leather...it has all the flexibility of a cardboard box. Maybe there's a breaking-in period or something, but instead of comforming to the movement of your feet, the leather actually "caves in" while you walk. This caving-in process can produce sharp little indentations that poke your feet. This doesn't just happen while you're hooping it up, either; it also happens when you're just walking around. It's both annoying and a little painful.

The shoes don't have any arch support either, and there's very little padding, so it can feel like you're running up and down the court with a couple wooden planks strapped to your feet. Due to the weak sole and complete lack of arch support, it's difficult to jump and accelerate when running out on a fast break (not to mention the "clomp, clomp, clomp" sound you'll make while running). This will be a deterrent to almost anyone who plays competitive basketball, but especially to someone like me who has flat feet. By the end of the night, both of my feet were sore and my left knee was aching. I don't know how Stephon is going to get through next season playing in these things.

loot
03-29-2007, 06:34 PM
because they get paid to wear them...

they get paid to not get injured? companies pay them to wear bad shoes?

put it the other way around kiddo: bron wears the shoes because he gets paid. and you wear them because you want him to get paid i guess.

gts
03-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Do you think that Starbury does not advertise? Advertising is an expense to any company. The money used to develop the air pockets was easily made back. yes i realize starbury advertises... lol but how many players is starbury paying to endorse thier shoes? in all the various sports? if starbury's advertising budget was 1/100th of nikes then i'd be surprised...

loot
03-29-2007, 06:35 PM

You serious?

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:37 PM
You serious?

well I don't know thier contracts but maybe owned even more than Lebron...he has to wear those crappy Starburys all year long...and I bet he isn't getting nearly one tenth of the money Lebron is from Nike...

"The shoes don't have any arch support either, and there's very little padding, so it can feel like you're running up and down the court with a couple wooden planks strapped to your feet. Due to the weak sole and complete lack of arch support, it's difficult to jump and accelerate when running out on a fast break (not to mention the "clomp, clomp, clomp" sound you'll make while running). This will be a deterrent to almost anyone who plays competitive basketball, but especially to someone like me who has flat feet. By the end of the night, both of my feet were sore and my left knee was aching. I don't know how Stephon is going to get through next season playing in these things.
"

Younggrease
03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
this guy did...

Wearability: 5 Shots
This is where the Starbury Ones fail. They just aren't comfortable. They ride high and really grip the ankle. This means that the shoes are hard to get on, rub the hell out of your ankle while you're wearing them, and then they're hard to take off. They're also rather big and clunky for basketball shoes, reminiscent of basketball shoes from the mid-90s. Fortunately (or unfortunately), the leather is thin and so the shoes are actually pretty light.

Speaking of the leather...it has all the flexibility of a cardboard box. Maybe there's a breaking-in period or something, but instead of comforming to the movement of your feet, the leather actually "caves in" while you walk. This caving-in process can produce sharp little indentations that poke your feet. This doesn't just happen while you're hooping it up, either; it also happens when you're just walking around. It's both annoying and a little painful.

The shoes don't have any arch support either, and there's very little padding, so it can feel like you're running up and down the court with a couple wooden planks strapped to your feet. Due to the weak sole and complete lack of arch support, it's difficult to jump and accelerate when running out on a fast break (not to mention the "clomp, clomp, clomp" sound you'll make while running). This will be a deterrent to almost anyone who plays competitive basketball, but especially to someone like me who has flat feet. By the end of the night, both of my feet were sore and my left knee was aching. I don't know how Stephon is going to get through next season playing in these things.

the thing i have noticed about most shoe people is they fell there HAS TO BE a difference in quality in shoes as price goes up. Because if there wasnt they would look stupid buying shoes for 200 bucks a pop. So the idea that MArbury was selling slightly worse shoes for a hundred dollars less wouldnt fly. The conflict of interest makes somebody that rates shoes on a website questionable to me.

Nowe if someone scientifically broke down the shoe that would be different. But if the Starbarys where the same quality as his beloved Jordans his whole world would crash. Im sure his mind wouldnt accept that, and for that reason his opinion is not very credible on these shoes

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 06:39 PM
yes i realize starbury advertises... lol but how many players is starbury paying to endorse thier shoes? in all the various sports? if starbury's advertising budget was 1/100th of nikes then i'd be surprised...
More athletes = more publicity = more shoe sales.

If you're idea in here is correct, then why do Jordans cost so much, even though MJ only has about 20 players signed to the label?

And I don't think Nike shelled out the big bucks, so they could sign players like Channing Frye. Nike has a lot of athletes, but only a few have enormous contracts.

You're reasoning doesn't ad up, i'd like an answer to why Jordan's cost so much when they have about 20 athletes. Its all about the logo on the shoe, its got nothing to do with quality, and that is clear.

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Those 2K3's are great Loot, I had the black ones. But they are hardly "nothing fancy." You're talking a shoe that MSRP'd well over 100$ and features carbon fiber, zoom air sockliner, and was in commercials with Parker, Kidd, Nash, and some other Nike guys.

But anyways, do you think if someone replaced your 2K3's with some other shoes before you went out for your hoop session, whether they be Starbury's, Magic32's, or even more expensive "better" shoes like the LeBron 4's or Jordan 22's and you weren't allowed to look at your feet (made you wear some dribbling googles maybe), that you could tell?

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 06:43 PM
well I don't know thier contracts but maybe owned even more than Lebron...he has to wear those crappy Starburys all year long...and I bet he isn't getting nearly one tenth of the money Lebron is from Nike...

"The shoes don't have any arch support either, and there's very little padding, so it can feel like you're running up and down the court with a couple wooden planks strapped to your feet. Due to the weak sole and complete lack of arch support, it's difficult to jump and accelerate when running out on a fast break (not to mention the "clomp, clomp, clomp" sound you'll make while running). This will be a deterrent to almost anyone who plays competitive basketball, but especially to someone like me who has flat feet. By the end of the night, both of my feet were sore and my left knee was aching. I don't know how Stephon is going to get through next season playing in these things.
"
Do you know anything about Starbury's? Marbury owns Starbury you clown, did you not make the connection, or do you not have a functioning brain. Stephon has had no knee problems this seaspn, so that leads me to think that this website you posted is full of ****. FInd me a few more articles saying the Starbury's are low quality, and then maybe i'll consider it.

loot
I don't know how Stephon is going to get through next season playing in these things.
"[/I]

How? B y playing the best team basketball in year, by putting up about his regular stats since december. By playing about 80 games this year, without any ankle/foot/leg related injuries. By adding a star player and a huge athlete to his Starbury brand.

So yeah, I'll take that as some pretty nice indications his shoes are doing quite well this season.

I'd even go out on a limb and say that I'd take a top athlete performance on a certain shoe over the review of some unknown journalist from some website.

-primetime-
Those 2K3's are great Loot, I had the black ones. But they are hardly "nothing fancy." You're talking a shoe that MSRP'd well over 100$ and features carbon fiber, zoom air sockliner, and was in commercials with Parker, Kidd, Nash, and some other Nike guys.

But anyways, do you think if someone replaced your 2K3's with some other shoes before you went out for your hoop session, whether they be Starbury's, Magic32's, or even more expensive "better" shoes like the LeBron 4's or Jordan 22's and you weren't allowed to look at your feet (made you wear some dribbling googles maybe), that you could tell?
hell yeah...if you think you wouldn't then you have never played basketball before

TMac&Luther
03-29-2007, 06:44 PM

Nike's are some of the cheapest, crappiest shoes on the planet. Just because they cost $150, that doesn't make them a "high quality product".....they are made in sweat shops. I stopped wearing Nike shoes like 10 years ago, I got tired of being taken to the cleaners buying them, just to watch them fall apart.

Nike = overpriced, overblown.....crap.

There are so SO MUCH BETTER shoes out there for half the price. I haven't worn Marbury's shoe, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they're more comfortable than LeBron's

L.Kizzle
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow, great thing to tell kids

"Hey, don't wear these cheap Starbury crap childrens, get the $150 LeBrons too look cool."

loot
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Not really as long as they aren't too heavy and aren't some Gilbert Arenas low top sized shoes. Only problem I have is fitting these two models around my ankle brace. (And yes I wore nike 2k3 when I tore three ankle ligaments and twisted my cuboid....freak accidents can happen anytime I guess...even with 120$ shoes it seems)

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Do you know anything about Starbury's? Marbury owns Starbury you clown, did you not make the connection, or do you not have a functioning brain. Stephon has had no knee problems this seaspn, so that leads me to think that this website you posted is full of ****. FInd me a few more articles saying the Starbury's are low quality, and then maybe i'll consider it.

THEY ARE $15 FU-CKING DOLLARS...THAT IS ALL THE PROOF I NEED

if you think that Marbury somehow was able to create the ferrari of all basketball shoes for that price then you have your head shoved up your ass...

show me a good review of those shoes...how about that?

Real Men Wear Green
03-29-2007, 06:49 PM
"Basketbawful" is just some guy with a blog. Anyone can write anything on a blog. A few months ago we had a topic like this and I posted a link to a site that pointed out Starbury's shoes were designed by designers that worked for Nike and other major labels. I can't find that link, but I did find this one. (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20060906/ai_n16705953)

On a recent NPR segment, a shoe designer who used to work for Fila said of the Starbury Ones: "I don't understand how they were able to do this for 15 bucks. This is a very nicely built shoe, extremely sturdy. This has good ankle support. The traction looks like it's good. It looks like it has a grippy bottom."
So no, they didn't make the shoes out of tree bark.

Younggrease

if you think that Marbury somehow was able to create the ferrari of all basketball shoes for that price then you have your head shoved up your ass...

HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK LEBRONS SHOES COST TO MAKE???? Go to school and take a couple econ or even polical economy classes. Or just read an article.

loot
hell yeah...if you think you wouldn't then you have never played basketball before

its the little things. the 2k3's have some hard plastic pointy things at each side of the tongue. they cause some friction close to the ankle. they also have some leather edges where the tongue ties into the nose of the shoe which can cause some friction.

the reeboks are really glove like but have just a little less support to each side. but ive never had any ankle injuries while wearing them.

its litle things, but it's all about how your feet are shaped, and personal preferences. i did play on shelltoes a few months and ruined my knees for 2 years.

Real Men Wear Green
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Nike loves you.

loot
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Marbury's season. Ben Wallace's future endorsement. NBA Players won't wear bad shoes, they make millions on the court. More than they'dmake endorsing Starbury's.

Good enough a reviw for me. Like I said, I'll take those performances over the review of some journalist.

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM

WHY THE **** DO YOU KEEP USING BIG FONT @$$HOLE?

You're precious Nikes are made FOR LESS THAN $15! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT MORON? NIKE JUST PUTS HIGH PRICES ON THEY'RE SHOES BECAUSE RETARDED PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK "HIGH PRICE = GOOD QUALITY!"

gts
03-29-2007, 06:53 PM
More athletes = more publicity = more shoe sales.

If you're idea in here is correct, then why do Jordans cost so much, even though MJ only has about 20 players signed to the label?

And I don't think Nike shelled out the big bucks, so they could sign players like Channing Frye. Nike has a lot of athletes, but only a few have enormous contracts.

You're reasoning doesn't ad up, i'd like an answer to why Jordan's cost so much when they have about 20 athletes. Its all about the logo on the shoe, its got nothing to do with quality, and that is clear. we may be arguing the same side of the coin here, i made no comment on quality all i was reffering to is that nike spends alot of money on resaerch and advertising and as such nike's cost alot more money than other shoes that don't have that kind of overhead to make up for... as for quality i find it hard to belives that nikes that cost ten times more are actually ten times better.... nike pays indonesians about $1.60 a day to make their shoes so it's not like we got a team of high tech craftsman putting the things together...

gts
03-29-2007, 06:55 PM

You're precious Nikes are made FOR LESS THAN $15! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT MORON? NIKE JUST PUTS HIGH PRICES ON THEY'RE SHOES BECAUSE RETARDED PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK "HIGH PRICE = GOOD QUALITY!" haha ok we are arguing the same side of the coin..i couldn't agree more....

SCREWstonRockets
Who has actually bought these shoes? I bought them for basketball and they do as good of a job as a $100 Nike. 60 minutes even ran a story on it and it was made from the same material as the Jordans. People don't understand that shoes like Jordans and Nikes get made for less than $15 and they put a $100 price tag on it because they know people will buy them. So before anyone tries to defend Nike, know that at some point or another, they have screwed you for your money.

KINGofTHEcourt
we may be arguing the same side of the coin here, i made no comment on quality all i was reffering to is that nike spends alot of money on resaerch and advertising and as such nike's cost alot more money than other shoes that don't have that kind of overhead to make up for... as for quality i find it hard to belives that nikes that cost ten times more are actually ten times better.... nike pays indonesians about $1.60 a day to make their shoes so it's not like we got a team of high tech craftsman putting the things together...
Fair enough. But Nike easily make back money spent on research by pricing they're shoes 800% higher than they spend making the shoes.

loot
03-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Who has actually bought these shoes? I bought them for basketball and they do as good of a job as a $100 Nike. 60 minutes even ran a story on it and it was made from the same material as the Jordans. People don't understand that shoes like Jordans and Nikes get made for less than $15 and they put a $100 price tag on it because they know people will buy them. So before anyone tries to defend Nike, know that at some point or another, they have screwed you for your money.

You can't buy them here in Europe. I'm currently looking to buy 2 or 3 pais at ebay. Just the regular ones. White, Black and maybe the white/baby blue ones. Great stuff, you can buy 3 pairs of shoes and spend only 60 bucks. Not sure if I'll use them to play ball. They look good enough to wear casually too.

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
I own a pair, and whenever I go to the park or the gym I wear them, and they have yet to fail me. I don't wear them in school games, because the school buys adidas for us, but the Starbury's are just as good as any pair of Nike/Jordan/Adidas shoes i've ever worn.

Its just people like -Idiottime- that think "high price = better quality"

Real Men Wear Green
03-29-2007, 06:59 PM

You're precious Nikes are made FOR LESS THAN $15! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT MORON? NIKE JUST PUTS HIGH PRICES ON THEY'RE SHOES BECAUSE RETARDED PEOPLE LIKE YOU THINK "HIGH PRICE = GOOD QUALITY!"
Heh. I remember when I used to write posts like this. I think I'm getting old. Mean way of phrasing it, but you're 100% correct.

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
And Sheed never played in regular Air Force 1s. Nike made his special with a zoom air insole and then when they released the Sheed AF1s had his jumpshot logo on them and the same doublestacked zoom insoles. That's cool he's an old school guy and can hoop in them though. I turned my ankle shooting around in some lowtops, no lie. Boxy ass midsoles

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1152/4610740/15643384/237649501.jpg

Younggrease
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Its sad what Nike does...but they usually pay more than the alternatives these 3rd world people have. But there is more to the story as well.

http://www.feministezine.com/feminist/modern/images/Nike-Sweatshop-04.jpg

loot
03-29-2007, 07:05 PM
And Sheed never played in regular Air Force 1s. Nike made his special with a zoom air insole and then when they released the Sheed AF1s had his jumpshot logo on them and the same doublestacked zoom insoles. That's cool he's an old school guy and can hoop in them though. I turned my ankle shooting around in some lowtops, no lie. Boxy ass midsoles

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1152/4610740/15643384/237649501.jpg
Well outside of an insole its still the same shoe. hard to believe that accounts for the 115$ difference

ive owned af's for years. still have 2 or 3 pairs but they get ugly very quick. the leather usually isnt really good (cracks) and they feel like Dutch Wooden Shoes.

I've always been a flight fan tho'. love my solo flights and mach flights. can ball on them tho'.

gts
03-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Its sad what Nike does...but they usually pay more than the alternatives these 3rd world people have. But there is more to the story as well.

http://www.feministezine.com/feminist/modern/images/Nike-Sweatshop-04.jpg yeah i did a search just now on nike advertising budget (1.7 billion) and came up with alot of sites about that subject... it's really sad..

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:09 PM
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK LEBRONS SHOES COST TO MAKE???? Go to school and take a couple econ or even polical economy classes. Or just read an article.
20 bucks

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I am not trying to say that Nikes are worth the $150 dollar price or anything like that...I am just trying to prove that they are better than the Starburys

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 07:11 PM
You can't buy them here in Europe. I'm currently looking to buy 2 or 3 pais at ebay. Just the regular ones. White, Black and maybe the white/baby blue ones. Great stuff, you can buy 3 pairs of shoes and spend only 60 bucks. Not sure if I'll use them to play ball. They look good enough to wear casually too.
Don't buy them off eBay. What size do u wear? Paypal me and I'll scoop u up some this weekend and send them to you, make a private ebay auction and we can both get a feedback out of it. *******s on eBay selling the stuff for 4x the price are totally defeating the whole purpose.

The Cyclones, the New Balance lookalike ones, are cool as hell but stay sold out in a 13 or else I'd swoop them up in a second. I did get the boots though

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 07:11 PM
20 bucks
Where did you get this number from? Are you just reading the lucky numbers from a fortune cookie, and posting them as prices on ISH. Give me a source for this -idiottime-.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:12 PM

I never said that....ever

I just said that I am sure the Nike Lebron's are higher quality than the Starburys...that is all

and the real question here still should be "did Lebron make that comment with a straight face or not"...

TMac&Luther
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Nike shoes cost about $5 bucks to make........and a couple of bucks in labor cost. The freaking sales tax you pay on the shoe alone comes out to 2x more than the shoe cost to make and is more than the people that make the shoe get paid in a week

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/poli/nike/nike101-4.htm

http://www.irregulartimes.com/nike.html

and LeBron has the gall to say Nike holds themselves to a "higher standard"..........please.

People that wear Nikes are getting take to the bank.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Where did you get this number from? Are you just reading the lucky numbers from a fortune cookie, and posting them as prices on ISH. Give me a source for this -idiottime-.

from the guy who posted about the creation process of Nike shoes earlier in this thread...I will take his word for it...

it allso costs millions to make the molds as well as the design process of the shoe...there is more to the cost than the slave labor...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Nike shoes cost about a $1.25 to make........thats incuding LABOR cost. The freaking sales tax you pay on the shoe alone comes out to 10x more than the shoe cost to make and is more than the people that make the shoe get paid in a week

http://www.irregulartimes.com/nike.html

People that wear Nikes are getting take to the bank.

that "is" the labor cost...

loot
03-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Don't buy them off eBay. What size do u wear? Paypal me and I'll scoop u up some this weekend and send them to you, make a private ebay auction and we can both get a feedback out of it. *******s on eBay selling the stuff for 4x the price are totally defeating the whole purpose.

The Cyclones, the New Balance lookalike ones, are cool as hell but stay sold out in a 13 or else I'd swoop them up in a second. I did get the boots though

Would be great I'll get back at you asap, I wear 10.5. I'll pm you tomorrow (size, model etc)

Thanks!

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 07:17 PM
from the guy who posted about the creation process of Nike shoes earlier in this thread...I will take his word for it...

it allso costs millions to make the molds as well as the design process of the shoe...there is more to the cost than the slave labor...
Thats you're problem. You're just taking Nike's word for it, that they are better. I don't give a **** how much a mold cost. They make that back 5x in one month. I you show me proof that the Nike's are any better than the STarbury's, then I will believe you.

TMac&Luther
03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
that "is" the labor cost...

I know its the labor cost.

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 07:22 PM
what country do u live in too? A shoebox wears about 3lbs when u think about shipping too

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Thats you're problem. You're just taking Nike's word for it, that they are better. I don't give a **** how much a mold cost. They make that back 5x in one month. I you show me proof that the Nike's are any better than the STarbury's, then I will believe you.

that is like me asking you to prove that ferrari makes a faster car than mazda...can you prove it?....all the reviews say that ferrari's are faster....am I dumb for assumiong they are correct?

I never said Nike's are worth the $150 price tag....I know that they are over-priced....but I am going to assume from the price and reviews that they are better quality than the Starburys...I guess I am a fool for that?

what's funny is that you know deep down that the Nike's are better quailty...you just can't bring yourself to say it...if you had to bet your life on which shoe gives you more support, has more padding, and lasts longer you would pick the Lebron's...don't tell me otherwise

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I know its the labor cost.

ok well they don't really costs $1.25 to make....that is just the cost of labor

you have to add in the cost of design (millions)
materials
shipping
ect.

I am sure it ends up to be close to $20

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 07:28 PM
that is like me asking you to prove that ferrari makes a faster car than mazda...can you prove it?....all the reviews say that ferrari's are faster....am I dumb for assumiong they are correct?

I never said Nike's are worth the $150 price tag....I know that they are over-priced....but I am going to assume from the price and reviews that they are better quality than the Starburys...I guess I am a fool for that?

what's funny is that you know deep down that the Nike's are better quailty...you just can't bring yourself to say it...if you had to bet your life on which shoe gives you more support, has more padding, and lasts longer you would pick the Lebron's...don't tell me otherwise
You say "all the reviews" when you posted one link dumbass. I bet I could find tons of links saying that Nike makes crap shoes too.

And stop using cars as a comparison. The price and publicity comparision doesn't work on other things. I'll use gum as an example. You could buy Stride for $1.50 or SHopRite gum for $.75. In the end, its ****ing gum. Same thing here, in the end, they're still shoes. I'd like scientific proof that Nike is any better than Starbury, not some clown with an internet connection and a blog that you found on google.

KINGofTHEcourt
03-29-2007, 07:30 PM

materials
shipping
ect.

No, the materials are below $5, the shipping is low since they are transported in large bulk amounts. ANd what is "etc"? Couldn't think of anything else, so you just put "etc"? It all comes out to less than $10.

TMac&Luther
03-29-2007, 07:30 PM

materials
shipping
ect.

sorry just reread what I typed.....screw up I'll fix it.

Btw it only cost Nike $5 to make a $180 shoe

not exactly high quality.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
No, the materials are below $5, the shipping is low since they are transported in large bulk amounts. ANd what is "etc"? Couldn't think of anything else, so you just put "etc"? It all comes out to less than $10.

lebron's money
advertising
the fu-cking janitor that cleans up the left over leather...I don't know

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
You say "all the reviews" when you posted one link dumbass. I bet I could find tons of links saying that Nike makes crap shoes too.

And stop using cars as a comparison. The price and publicity comparision doesn't work on other things. I'll use gum as an example. You could buy Stride for $1.50 or SHopRite gum for $.75. In the end, its ****ing gum. Same thing here, in the end, they're still shoes. I'd like scientific proof that Nike is any better than Starbury, not some clown with an internet connection and a blog that you found on google.

like i said earlier...find me "one dumbass review" that says Starburys are good quality....better than the Lebrons

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:35 PM
sorry just reread what I typed.....screw up I'll fix it.

Btw it only cost Nike $5 to make a $180 shoe

not exactly high quality.

but still higher quality than the Starburys...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:37 PM
another review

http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_association/2006/08/starbury_one_re.html

...the tongue of the shoes looks like it's held in by cheap medical gauze. The leather is extremely thin, which means that the sole actually slips around when you walk. And the insole almost fell out when I pulled out the paper that they stuff into the shoe so it holds its shape.

gts
03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
From 2002:

For every pair of Nike shoes, the sum of wages workers from all the three sectors receive is less than 80 cents. Besides these three sectors, other parts required for a pair of Nike shoes include, big soles, middle soles, leather, and other half-made products. This work is sometimes contracted out to other factories. For example, in 1997, YueYuen Shoes factory's middle sole production was temporarily subcontracted to Yongxin Shoes Factory, Dingshan Management District in Houjie Town. Lifeng Trade Mark Manufacturing Company, Sanyuan Management District, Dongguan.

Leather were processed by Weida Leather Factory in Hongmei Town of Dongguan, which is appointed especially to handle leather for Nike shoes by Nike. Raw material processing is given to Jiali Shoes Material Factory, Houjie Town, Dongguan. Adding all these up, on average, Nike pays less than USD$1 for producing one pair of Nike shoes to China's worker, less than USD$1.5 for Jordan Series.

http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/reports/021025nike.htm

TMac&Luther
03-29-2007, 07:45 PM
but still higher quality than the Starburys...

I don't care about marbury's shoes............I said Nike's are a piece of crap and its a complete joke that LeBron thinks his company holds themselves to a higher standard, when the people that makes "his" shoes are starving in another country.

SomeBunghole
03-29-2007, 07:46 PM
another review

http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_association/2006/08/starbury_one_re.html

...the tongue of the shoes looks like it's held in by cheap medical gauze. The leather is extremely thin, which means that the sole actually slips around when you walk. And the insole almost fell out when I pulled out the paper that they stuff into the shoe so it holds its shape.

You are actually taking a review of a guy who says stuff like this seriously???

I got the All-Black Starbury's hoping they'd look like anyone else's shoe should these sneaks become a joke. That way from a distance no one will know I have them on.

If you're embarassed by the shoes you wear, you're either an idiot or in grade 5. Either way, exactly the kind of person those Nike ads are aimed at.

mid80sjordan
03-29-2007, 07:47 PM
From 2002:

http://www.chinalaborwatch.org/reports/021025nike.htm
got'm

people just don't want to believe they actully get ripped off that much. if you wanted to review a nike shoe and make it negative, you could do it in a heartbeat.

i've had nike shoes that my foot busted out of while playing football(from cutting). and they were maybe 3 weeks old. high quality s hit right there

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
what's funny is that one day I bet the Starburys will be a complete joke at a basketball court...escpecially in high schools, I bet kids will get completely flamed for wearing them...

I appreciate what Marbury is trying to do here and this is the first time I have even heard of Starbury shoes but if you guys think that his shoes are going to over throw Nike or something because they are the same quality then you are wrong...

If Nike shoes cost 5 cents to make then the Starburys cost 1 cent...

if marbury wins he will have created a shoe that actually lasts longer than one game...and it doesn't look that way...what is the piont of a poor person saving money on a shoe that falls apart after 3 games of hoops?

mid80sjordan
03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
what's funny is that one day I bet the Starburys will be a complete joke at a basketball court...escpecially in high schools, I bet kids will get completely flamed for wearing them...

I appreciate what Marbury is trying to do here and this is the first time I have even heard of Starbury shoes but if you guys think that his shoes are going to over throw Nike or something because they are the same quality then you are wrong...

If Nike shoes cost 5 cents to make then the Starburys cost 1 cent...

if marbury wins he will have created a shoe that actually lasts longer than one game...and it doesn't look that way...what is the piont of a poor person saving money on a shoe that falls apart after 3 games of hoops?
just give it up man. you are obviously wrong. accept it

you are obviously in high school if you are worried about that stuff up there^^^

people have more important things to worry about in real life

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
You are actually taking a review of a guy who says stuff like this seriously???

I got the All-Black Starbury's hoping they'd look like anyone else's shoe should these sneaks become a joke. That way from a distance no one will know I have them on.

If you're embarassed by the shoes you wear, you're either an idiot or in grade 5. Either way, exactly the kind of person those Nike ads are aimed at.

I could only find 2 reviews...both of them ripping the Starburys in half...I guess they need more time for people to digest...

gts
03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I don't care about marbury's shoes............I said Nike's are a piece of crap and its a complete joke that LeBron thinks his company holds themselves to a higher standard, when the people that makes "his" shoes are starving in another country. your right and lebron knows full well that the nikes lebron, tiger, kobe, or whoever wears are built in beaverton oregon by hand... these guys don't wear the shoes we buy...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:53 PM
just give it up man. you are obviously wrong. accept it

you are obviously in high school if you are worried about that stuff up there^^^

people have more important things to worry about in real life

I am not worried about it...Nike and Marbury are

high schoolers and kids are what determines if a shoe fails or not...not 60 year olds

and what am I wrong about exactly?

mid80sjordan
03-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I am not worried about it...Nike and Marbury are

high schoolers and kids are what determines if a shoe fails or not...not 60 year olds
marbury is obviously not worried about it. what do you mean?

i dont think he's trying to take over the shoe game. :hammerhead:

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
your right and lebron knows full well that the nikes lebron, tiger, kobe, or whoever wears are built in beaverton oregon by hand... these guys don't wear the shoes we buy...

I am guessing that Lebron said it with a smile...joking around

mid80sjordan
03-29-2007, 07:56 PM
I am guessing that Lebron said it with a smile...joking around
you are wrong because you think the quality of lebron's shoe is exponentially higher than that of the marbury's. simply not true

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 07:59 PM

ok this is not true...starbury owns him...just took me a second to find it

http://www.forbes.com/business/2006/08/17/marbury-basketball-shoes-cx_ab_0817marbury.html

"This is the highest-performance shoe that you can make for any amount. The technology is state of the art and was designed for the way that Stephon plays," said Steve & Barry's co-founder and co-CEO Barry Prevor.

ok clown?

gts
03-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I'd try a pair of strabury;s, i like the white ones...my problem is the closest store that carries them is 45 miles away and with the price of gas the good deal becomes not so great as the 15 dollar shoes end up costing 40 bucks ...lol

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:00 PM
you are wrong because you think the quality of lebron's shoe is exponentially higher than that of the marbury's. simply not true

I don't know about " exponentially" higher...but higher none the less

and how do you know that starburys are such high quality?

gts
03-29-2007, 08:04 PM
ok this is not true...starbury owns him...just took me a second to find it

http://www.forbes.com/business/2006/08/17/marbury-basketball-shoes-cx_ab_0817marbury.html

"This is the highest-performance shoe that you can make for any amount. The technology is state of the art and was designed for the way that Stephon plays," said Steve & Barry's co-founder and co-CEO Barry Prevor.

ok clown?

Marbury teamed up with discount retailer Steve & Barry's University Sportswear, which will exclusively sell the line. they are co-owners with marbury...marbury owns the shoe company and steve and barry's has the exclusive on sales...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:06 PM
they are co-owners with marbury...ok clown?

teamed up kinda like Lebron teamed up with Nike...

ok clown?

gts
03-29-2007, 08:10 PM
teamed up kinda like Lebron teamed up with Nike...

ok clown? what is so hard for you to understand, lebron is paid PAID by nike to put his name on the shoe and endorse it... Marbury is PART Owner of this enterprise... are you stupid?

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:12 PM
what is so hard for you to understand, lebron is paid PAID by nike to put his name on the shoe and endorse it... Marbury is PART Owner of this enterprise... are you stupid?

no but you are...

Marbury is the first celebrity to sign with Steve & Barry's, a move that will put the retailer on the map. Already billed "the fastest growing retailer you never heard of" by Forbes, Steve & Barry's is sure to win over new fans. And other celebrities.

he may have some kind of royalty type of payment with that shoe but he owns nothing...

mid80sjordan
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't know about " exponentially" higher...but higher none the less

and how do you know that starburys are such high quality?
how do you not? because you look at the price tags

gts
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
no but you are...

Marbury is the first celebrity to sign with Steve & Barry's, a move that will put the retailer on the map. Already billed "the fastest growing retailer you never heard of" by Forbes, Steve & Barry's is sure to win over new fans. And other celebrities.

he may have some kind of royalty type of payment with that shoe but he owns nothing...

[QUOTE]Starbury, Stephon Marbury

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:17 PM
how do you not? because you look at the price tags

and reviews...

yeah the fact that they cost $15 is a small clue that they might be lower quality...sorry

and yes I know Nikes cost .0000001 cent to make...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:19 PM
god your such a moron...

president = CEO

when did that happen?

gts
03-29-2007, 08:24 PM
president = CEO

when did that happen? lol since the beginning he has always been the CEO of the company it's his, Steve and Barry's (sound like an ice cream shop) are the exclusive distributor for the company... that's how they can keep the cost down is by only selling thier shoes to one outlet...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:28 PM
lol since the beginning he has always been the CEO of the company it's his, Steve and Barry's (sound like an ice cream shop) are the exclusive distributor for the company... that's how they can keep the cost down is by only selling thier shoes to one outlet...

that article made it pretty clear that Marbury signed with Steve and Barry...not teamed up or used...

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 08:31 PM

Not really considering people race cars at tracks so everyone can actually see which car is faster.

gts
03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
that article made it pretty clear that Marbury signed with Steve and Barry...not teamed up or used... yes his company signed a contract with them to be the exclusive retailler of his line of shoes and clothing... they may even be share holders in the company (probably are) but it was his baby from the start

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
that article made it pretty clear that Marbury signed with Steve and Barry...not teamed up or used...

"Marbury teamed up with discount retailer Steve & Barry's University Sportswear, which will exclusively sell the line. The partnership is a dream team come true for both parties."

What?

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:35 PM
yes his company signed a contract with them to be the exclusive retailler of his line of shoes and clothing... they may even be share holders in the company (probably are) but it was his baby from the start

that may be true...I don't know...but it sounds to me like it isn't his baby anymore.

neither one of us owns a copy of the contract though...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:37 PM
"Marbury teamed up with discount retailer Steve & Barry's University Sportswear, which will exclusively sell the line. The partnership is a dream team come true for both parties."

What?

lol...ok it did use the term "teamed up"...but they mean like "jordan teamed up with Nike"...

they go on to say that Steve and Barry signed him....not the other way around...

you guys make it seam as though Marbury highered them to distribute his shoes...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Not really considering people race cars at tracks so everyone can actually see which car is faster.

and once people start playing with those shoes everyday it will be the same

tpcslj47
03-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Wow, this thread is outta control.

LeBron values money more than trying to help people, and Starbury vice versa. Choose whether or not you are selfish and ignorant, and that's the side you're on.

:cheers:

Starbury = my new #4 favorite player, maybe #1 favorite off court.

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
and once people start playing with those shoes everyday it will be the same

You do know people play with those shoes already right?

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Wow, this thread is outta control.

LeBron values money more than trying to help people, and Starbury vice versa. Choose whether or not you are selfish and ignorant, and that's the side you're on.

Starbury = my new #4 favorite player, maybe #1 favorite off court.

My #1 favorite player off the court has to be Deke.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:42 PM
the whole piont of the ownership thing was in what Marbury said...but the truth is that just like Lebron he is under contract with that shoe and is forced to wear them for this season and the next...he is being owned by Steve and Barry.....partners or not

ElPigto
03-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Everytime I play basketball, I play in Pumas. When I was in Middle School, I'd wear Pumas. Puma Roma in fact.

Pumas have gotten me through basketball. I tried the Nike Shox one time and ended up with severe foot pain. I tried Nike's, Reebok's, but never liked them. I don't know what kind though, I just know they are Nike's, I honestly don't care what kind of shoe I play basketball with, as long as I'm playing I'm happy.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:43 PM
You do know people play with those shoes already right?

yeah but I could only find 2 reviews...(both awful)

how long have they been out?

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 08:44 PM
yeah but I could only find 2 reviews...(both awful)

how long have they been out?

Yes bc everyone buys shoes and post a review online about them.

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Everytime I play basketball, I play in Pumas. When I was in Middle School, I'd wear Pumas. Puma Roma in fact.

Pumas have gotten me through basketball. I tried the Nike Shox one time and ended up with severe foot pain. I tried Nike's, Reebok's, but never liked them. I don't know what kind though, I just know they are Nike's, I honestly don't care what kind of shoe I play basketball with, as long as I'm playing I'm happy.

Here is one review about Nike and Reebok that is awful. I know it is only one review but I think I can take their word for it. I would know for sure if I found two reviews bc that is like twice as many as one.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes bc everyone buys shoes and post a review online about them.

so not very long then?

tpcslj47
03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
does anyone know where to actually get a pair of starburys? I hate my shox and wanna give these a shot, but i dont got any "steve and barry's" where i live.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Hear is one review about Nike and Reebok that is awful. I know it is only one review but I think I can take their word for it. I would know for sure if I found two reviews bc that is like twice as many as one.

well those two reviews is all that me and YOU have to go by right now...

oh and the fact that THEY ARE $15 DOLLARS AND DESIGNED FOR INNER CITY KIDS THAAT HAVE NO MONEY.....there is that fact also...

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 08:51 PM
so not very long then?

Finding only two reviews means nothing is what I am saying. Bottom line people play with them and I never here them complain about any pain. That is a start, not in favor of Nike, long term is yet to be determined. But so far the advantage goes to Marbury.

ElPigto
03-29-2007, 08:53 PM

oh and the fact that THEY ARE $15 DOLLARS AND DESIGNED FOR INNER CITY KIDS THAAT HAVE NO MONEY.....there is that fact also...

Dude, I've played with cheap shoes before, trust me, they aren't as bad as you make them sound. I don't know how they last throughout 82 games of basketball, but I mean cheap shoes are nothing to be ashamed off.

I remember playing in Olajuwon's spaldings that I got for like 25 dollars at Payless Shoe Source, and the tennis shoes worked great. I know they weren't the greatest design, but if you can play basketball then who the hell cares.

I bet you are one of those dudes who demands his mommy and daddy buy him nothing less than $100 pair of shoes. Get over yourself already, GEEZ!

Xsatyr
03-29-2007, 08:54 PM

I go by people I actually play with but whatever. I guess that does not qualify as a source, you know people who actually play with them. Nope can't make a valid argument as to how that would actually be a reference for the quality of a pair of shoes.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Finding only two reviews means nothing is what I am saying. Bottom line people play with them and I never here them complain about any pain. That is a start, not in favor of Nike, long term is yet to be determined. But so far the advantage goes to Marbury.

my piont was once they are out for a long time there will be people/reviews complaining about pain...

like this guy:

The final rating of these shoes really depends on what you're using them for. If you want something that looks cool to walk around in, then the Starbury Ones are a damn good shoe for $15. You could probably even use some gel inserts to make them more comfortable. BUT...if you expect to play basketball in them, you're going to be tragically disappointed. Not only will you end up with chronically sore feet to go along with your aching knees and ankles, the shoes aren't constructed well enough to last long under the pressure of serious balling. This isn't in the tagline, but Marbury might have created the first fully disposable basketball shoe.

oh and they come out April 1st...

http://www.steveandbarrys.com/

I guess only time will tell...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:55 PM
I go by people I actually play with but whatever. I guess that does not qualify as a source, you know people who actually play with them. Nope can't make a valid argument as to how that would actually be a reference for the quality of a shoe.

so you know people that own the Starburys that come out April 1st then?

is that what youare saying?

tpcslj47
03-29-2007, 08:58 PM
my piont was once they are out for a long time there will be people/reviews complaining about pain...

like this guy:

oh and they come out April 1st...

http://www.steveandbarrys.com/

I guess only time will tell...

The Starbury II's come out April 1, the originals have been out since i dont know when.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Dude, I've played with cheap shoes before, trust me, they aren't as bad as you make them sound. I don't know how they last throughout 82 games of basketball, but I mean cheap shoes are nothing to be ashamed off.

I remember playing in Olajuwon's spaldings that I got for like 25 dollars at Payless Shoe Source, and the tennis shoes worked great. I know they weren't the greatest design, but if you can play basketball then who the hell cares.

I bet you are one of those dudes who demands his mommy and daddy buy him nothing less than $100 pair of shoes. Get over yourself already, GEEZ!

I NEVER SAID ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NIKES ARE HIGHER QUALITY...

that is all...

what do you mean "get over yourself, geez"...

I applaud Marbury and what he is trying to do...

I never said cheap shoes are something to be ashamed of...(although kids will be, but shouldn't)

I am just saying to those of you that think they really are the same quality as Nike like they claim to be that you are wrong...nothing more...nothing less

oh and I say that Marbury is under contract to wear that shoe for 2 seasons and is owned in a similiar fashion to Lebron and Nike...

SomeBunghole
03-29-2007, 09:02 PM
You know the first think I thought about when I heard about these shoes? Some of my college buddies. These shoes would've been great for them. No, they weren't inner city kids, they were just middle- and working-class kids trying to make, and pay, their way through college. We used to play ball once or maybe twice a week, and I used to worry about the fact that some of these guys played in their indoor soccer shoes, which was just asking for an ankle injury. Being poor college students and not having their parents send them thousands of dollars a month like mine, they could hardly afford to buy 150 dollar basketball shoes.

They didn't need super-durable shoes, they only played once a week. They didn't need something that looked cool, some of them didn't even follow basketball. They just wanted basketball shoes to play in once in a while that didn't cost as much as their monthly food budget.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 09:04 PM
The Starbury II's come out April 1, the originals have been out since i dont know when.

well this articel was made Aug 16 2006....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2551942

so I guess it has been about 6 or 7 months now...

I don't know if not hearing about them until now is a good or a bad thing...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
does anyone know where to actually get a pair of starburys? I hate my shox and wanna give these a shot, but i dont got any "steve and barry's" where i live.

you can get them here for $20...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=starbury+one

maybe a shipping fee also though

DatZNasty
03-29-2007, 09:20 PM
They didn't need super-durable shoes, they only played once a week. They didn't need something that looked cool, some of them didn't even follow basketball. They just wanted basketball shoes to play in once in a while that didn't cost as much as their monthly food budget.
That and the targeted in poverty demographic are the only people I'd recommend these for. The type of dudes who go to the YMCA like on a lunch break on Monday's and Friday's.

They just wouldn't hold up for an over 200lb, over 2hr a day playing, over 35 inch leap having, hyperactive player like myself. I'd bottom out those insoles in matter of hours, if that. Of course, I could also use the 30% off coupon for Footlocker this weekend and get the TMac 1 Retro's for 18$

As far as arguing it I'm done, but I just don't get why people (generally it's people who dont even hoop) would assume that the shoe industry is different from any other product you can buy on the market where you have tons of different namebrands and price ranges to choose from, some better than others. To assume every shoe has the exact level of durability, ankle protection, traction, and overall quality is as ridiculous as doing the same with any other product.

And all these intentionally vague quotes about "constructed the same way" and "same materials" are that vague on purpose, because they're intentionally designed to be misleading just the same as Nike and their "BOING" campaign implying without directly saying that they make you jump higher is.

They make it sound as if in the factory there's a box of leather, rubber, shoe laces, glue, and company logos and one 5 year old Chinese girl goes and grabs her supplies and a Nike check and the next grabs from the same box and grabs a Marbury logo instead.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 09:25 PM
That and the targeted in poverty demographic are the only people I'd recommend these for. The type of dudes who go to the YMCA like on a lunch break on Monday's and Friday's.

They just wouldn't hold up for an over 200lb, over 2hr a day playing, over 35 inch leap having, hyperactive player like myself. I'd bottom out those insoles in matter of hours, if that. Of course, I could also use the 30% off coupon for Footlocker this weekend and get the TMac 1 Retro's for 18$

As far as arguing it I'm done, but I just don't get why people (generally it's people who dont even hoop) would assume that the shoe industry is different from any other product you can buy on the market where you have tons of different namebrands and price ranges to choose from, some better than others. To assume every shoe has the exact level of durability, ankle protection, traction, and overall quality is as ridiculous as doing the same with any other product.

And all these intentionally vague quotes about "constructed the same way" and "same materials" are that vague on purpose, because they're intentionally designed to be misleading just the same as Nike and their "BOING" campaign implying without directly saying that they make you jump higher is.

They make it sound as if in the factory there's a box of leather, rubber, shoe laces, glue, and company logos and one 5 year old Chinese girl goes and grabs her supplies and a Nike check and the next grabs from the same box and grabs a Marbury logo instead.

wow...someone that agrees with me...

yeah this is why I compared Nikes to Ferrari....they are way over priced but they are still one of the best out there...other cars will get you from piont A to piont B but the ride will have more bumps...

shoes, cars, houses, microwaves...whatever...there are expensive over-priced ones and there are cheap ones that claim to be just as good as the best...

SomeBunghole
03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
wow...someone that agrees with me...

yeah this is why I compared Nikes to Ferrari....they are way over priced but they are still one of the best out there...other cars will get you from piont A to piont B but the ride will have more bumps...

You've never owned a Ferrari or been in one, have you? Comfort, reliability and durability are all sacrificed for speed and performance. You need to change timing belts on your Ferrari more often than the one on your 1978 Pinto. All kinds of things wear down fast because of the extreme strain all that power puts on them. And don't even think about racking up 200,000 miles on the odometer of your Ferrari like you could on a Civic.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 09:38 PM
You've never owned a Ferrari or been in one, have you? Comfort, reliability and durability are all sacrificed for speed and performance. You need to change timing belts on your Ferrari more often than the one on your 1978 Pinto. All kinds of things wear down fast because of the extreme strain all that power puts on them. And don't even think about racking up 200,000 miles on the odometer of your Ferrari like you could on a Civic.

oh come on man it was a reference...

cars are more complex than shoes but it was the price tag that i was getting at

make it Lexus and Mazda then

BMW and VW

any car that is expensive vs. any car that is cheap

by the way performance would be the main focus of Ferrari and that is why I picked them...the fact that they are uncomfortable or need to be serviced every 2 months shouldn't relate to shoes...

knickscity
03-29-2007, 09:46 PM

Nike and ferrari are terrible comparisons. Nike symbolizes quality, comfort and style. Ferrari is a high sports car brand designed for performance, style and class. A ferrari is not built to be ran compared to an everday shoe. Get a vette or a mustand GT for that. Only a fool would try to put 200K on a Ferrari.
But back to the thread. I recieved a pair of Marbs kicks last year as a gift. The shoe actually is comfortable for it to be a $15 dollar shoe. I wouldn't say it's as good as my Shox, but compared to the price I was impressed. I thought Lebron's comment was weak. Nike is committed to making dollars. If Lebron was garbage, Nike wouldn't be interested in him. Nike also has a standard to uphold also. If Lebron pull a Kobe-like case, they would drop him tommorrow.

D-Town-Raised
03-29-2007, 09:49 PM

I got my Hakeem Spaldings at K-Mart for 29.99 back in 95.

Anybody remember when Shaq and Hakeem where supposed to play one-on-one on pay-per-view?

Anybody remember the Xavier McDaniels? They were black with the brown cross stripes with the X in the middle? I had those to. I think I got them for 29.99 also. :bowdown:

Hell I played in Junior High in White Low Top Classic Chuck Taylors with 5 pairs of socks and two black ankle braces I stole from Kroger grocery store.

knickscity
03-29-2007, 09:51 PM
oh come on man it was a reference...

cars are more complex than shoes but it was the price tag that i was getting at

make it Lexus and Mazda then

BMW and VW

any car that is expensive vs. any car that is cheap

by the way performance would be the main focus of Ferrari and that is why I picked them...the fact that they are uncomfortable or need to be serviced every 2 months shouldn't relate to shoes...

You shouldn't have compared a shoe to a Ferrari. Or any car for that matter. Although even a shoe should be maintained.....I don't walk around in my basketball shoe I play in on the court, neither would someone drive their ferrari every day.

knickscity
03-29-2007, 09:54 PM

I got my Hakeem Spaldings at K-Mart for 29.99 back in 95.

Anybody remember when Shaq and Hakeem where supposed to play one-on-one on pay-per-view?

Anybody remember the Xavier McDaniels? They were black with the brown cross stripes with the X in the middle? I had those to. I think I got them for 29.99 also. :bowdown:

Hell I played in Junior High in White Low Top Classic Chuck Taylors with 5 pairs of socks and two black ankle braces I stole from Kroger grocery store.

If you can play in a pair of Chuck's (which every old-school baller did), you can definitely play in Marbs shoe. His shoe is much better.

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 09:59 PM
You shouldn't have compared a shoe to a Ferrari. Or any car for that matter. Although even a shoe should be maintained.....I don't walk around in my basketball shoe I play in on the court, neither would someone drive their ferrari every day.

it was a general reference to the price tag and preformance...

they are both over priced but they both preform better...it isn't that bad of a comparison

seriously, I didn't mean for you guys to get into discussions about changing timing belts and all that...it was a simple "hey nike's are $150 but they are better and hey ferrari's are $150k but they are better" kinda thing...

-primetime-
03-29-2007, 10:00 PM
If you can play in a pair of Chuck's (which every old-school baller did), you can definitely play in Marbs shoe. His shoe is much better.

now that I believe...

ekzistenz
03-29-2007, 10:52 PM
The design and advertising alone behind a $150 Nike shoe would be more then the entire production cost of the Starbury's. Obviously though there isn't a $135 quality difference between the two. Nike sells their shoes for more to turn over a greater profit because they can.

I'd say the engineers behind the design would do more tests on weight distribution, air pocket placement and design for comfort and visual appearance then those of the Starbury's.

SomeBunghole
03-29-2007, 10:56 PM
seriously, I didn't mean for you guys to get into discussions about changing timing belts and all that...it was a simple "hey nike's are $150 but they are better and hey ferrari's are $150k but they are better" kinda thing...

My point was that the Nike shoes, as well as a Ferrari, have a specific purpose in mind. Not everyone is looking for their shoe or car to do the things they do.

I haven't tried the new Starburys, but I've owned my share of basketball shoes, and I have a hard time imagining that they could be worse than some of the pairs I've owned. I've had a pair of Reebok sneakers that were something around 120 bucks back in 1998 that just about permanently disfigured my feet. I've had a pair of Converse Dennis Rodmans that felt like someone attached weights to my ankles. Those shoes were over a hundred bucks as well. I've also had really good shoes that I got for 75 bucks.

There are so many variable with shoes, it's not even funny. A couple of reviews don't tell you much about what the shoes will be like for you.

knicks15
03-30-2007, 12:40 AM
He thought about it for a moment and said, "I'd rather own than be owned."

i guess that means he would rather own a pair of sneakers than have the sneakers own him? or am i missing something here

DatZNasty
03-30-2007, 12:44 AM
He's saying that Nike owns LeBron and he is like a puppet or a pawn to them. And it's a great quote at face value, but when you think more about it, LeBron is exploiting Nike comparably to however much you think they are exploiting him. I mean he has his logo on college jerseys in place of the Nike sign and he didn't even go to college. It's not like he's a slave of their's, he's getting rewarded very handsomly.

knicks15
03-30-2007, 12:50 AM
He's saying that Nike owns LeBron and he is like a puppet or a pawn to them. And it's a great quote at face value, but when you think more about it, LeBron is exploiting Nike comparably to however much you think they are exploiting him. I mean he has his logo on college jerseys in place of the Nike sign and he didn't even go to college. It's not like he's a slave of their's, he's getting rewarded very handsomly.

i dont know that that quote even makes much sense. because they charge 100+ for a shoe, they own lebron? marbury doesnt own the company either. its steve and barrys

DatZNasty
03-30-2007, 12:52 AM
exactly.

icewill36
03-30-2007, 01:00 AM
I would rather be owned...

100s of millions of dollars and security for your family forever > what others think

money is money....period

unless you are the boss at your job you are being owned...

you act like marbury is poor or something....

Who'sKobe
03-30-2007, 01:06 AM
Some prefer to go for the name brand and are ready to cash out $150 for shoes, even if they can't afford it. While others don't give much thought to the name brand. I'm just glad I have shoes to wear unlike millions of kids in the world today.

el_locoteee
03-30-2007, 01:21 AM
we hold our standards high?????????????????????

Those shoes probably cost $5 to make it in China. pls

Is not like the are made or some rare leather and high tech and built by a artist.

You just paying for the millions of $ that Nike spend on those ugly and boring Lebron commercials.

The one that think those $150 shoes got something special are just blind.

MaxFly
03-30-2007, 02:02 AM

Is not like the are made or some rare leather and high tech and built by a artist.

You just paying for the millions of $ that Nike spend on those ugly and boring Lebron commercials.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I doubt that Marbury's sneakers are much cheaper to make than Lebron's, and really, what gets me is the condescending way his statement came off... Lebron's lost a point there with me as well. :(

Soundwave
03-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Nike shoes definitely don't cost more than $5-$15 to mass produce, for sure, so the actual quality difference between the sneakers is likely not a whole lot.

LeBrons ... maybe I'm just not tuned in, but they're not as big of a deal these days as the Jordans were through the 80s and 90s, not even close.

That being said, you can't really blame LeBron for totting the company line. They are paying him $100 million dollars after all to wear/endorse their product, a product that he likes and gets design input on. Can't really beat that.

Laker4Lyfe

That's exactly what I was thinking. And I guess he and you guys feels the same way about Shaqs shoes which are also an "inexpensive" shoe.

loot
Sweet lord, primetime assumes, bets and thinks waaaaaay too much.

20 Dimes A Game
03-30-2007, 02:05 AM
LeBron should not have said that.

Norcaliblunt
03-30-2007, 02:44 AM
huh?...

This guy showed his true colors. He's a rich p rick.

el_locoteee
03-30-2007, 02:59 AM
The difference between a good coffee and a bad coffee is the quality, the different between a good coffee and the best coffee is the propaganda.

LeBron shoes don't make me a better BB player I rather buy the Marbury shoes and spend the different in some of those BB training videos that will actually improve my game.

The only think that Lebron shoes can make you do is miss FT.

el_locoteee
03-30-2007, 03:07 AM
huh?...

Is this your car????

http://www.actionsalvage.com/images/00430.4.jpg

Norcaliblunt
03-30-2007, 03:15 AM
It's all relative. Differrent people feel confortable in different shoes. But one thing is universal. We all like low prices. Unless your an arrogant self absorbed rich ****.

Darsh
03-30-2007, 03:19 AM
Is this your car????

http://www.actionsalvage.com/images/00430.4.jpg

eddie griffith strikes again

"brutha cant drive"

kenuffff
03-30-2007, 06:41 AM
jesus primetime if you feel that paying more for a shoe = quality fine by me, if it helps you sleep at night all shoes that cost 150 are made by little elves in oregon with the utmost quality. clothes are like the only business where its impossible to lose money i think. if you made 10 air jordans for 5 bucks a piece and sold 1 you made 100 bucks. all clothes are cheap to make and you're getting "ripped" off no matter what welcome to globalization. no t-shirt costs 17 dollars to make its more like 2 dollars to all the people *****ing at primetime you know everything you have was made with cheap labor most likely so its not like because you don't buy nike's you're some ultra smart consumer. we're all getting ripped off on everything we buy do you think it costs 100 dollars to make the pills you buy for a prescription those pills cost pennies to make maybe less. i could go on and on. back to the initial topic though its sad lebron cant see what marbury is saying, marbury made his own company sells his own stuff for reasonable prices to urban youth so their parents don't have to go without to put 150 pair of sneakers on their kid that cost 5 to make. basically he is exposing nike and im sure lebron was told to say that by nike because they're pissed their scam is being exposed. marbury is a douche on the basketball court but off the court he really has his heart in the right place, katrina is another example just straight gave a million bucks no questions asked and didnt even want people to know.

kenuffff
03-30-2007, 06:49 AM
marbury's statement means he has his own company where he is doing his own thing and its a good thing, and he is saying lebron is really the one thats stupid. nike is making back that 100 million 1000x fold. look how much nike makes a year and compare that to how much jordan got out of nike when he basically single-handly built their company up. marbury is commenting on how atheletes think because they get paid a large sum they're somehow not being used but they are someone is getting up on them.

adamcz
03-30-2007, 09:29 AM
So what exactly does Marbury own? Steve & Barry's owns and manufactures those shoes. He doesn't own them.

PMshooter
03-30-2007, 10:00 AM
So what exactly does Marbury own? Steve & Barry's owns and manufactures those shoes. He doesn't own them.

It's because Marbury gets paid % wise on # of shoes sold - that's the deal. It's not an endorsement deal like it is with Nike, where essentially they're paying you money for YOU. Your image, your name brand etc.

adamcz
03-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Lebron has incentives tied to sales and marketshare too though.

Samurai Swoosh
03-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Um Brons and Starburs shoes are probally made in the same damn place with the same material.
Probably not. PM me when you wear a pair of those cheap plastic bricks known as Starburys, and feel the difference wearing a pair of LeBrons. There is a dramatic difference, not to mention major style points.

:roll:

Se
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
LeBron is a chump. Dominique Wilkens would eat him

SCREWstonRockets
03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Probably not. PM me when you wear a pair of those cheap plastic bricks known as Starburys, and feel the difference wearing a pair of LeBrons. There is a dramatic difference, not to mention major style points.

:roll:
I wear Jordans for casual and wear the Starburys to hoop. The Starburys feel just as comfortable as the Jordans(4). They may not look as nice, but my Starburys didn't rip up after one game and fall apart when I attempted a crossover dribble. If there is a difference, I don't notice it. Except that I saved much more spending $15 on shoes to play basketball. And more than likely, the Starburys and LeBrons are cut from the same material.

DatZNasty
03-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Sweet lord, primetime assumes, bets and thinks waaaaaay too much.
So is everybody on the opposite side of the argument. The LeBron 4's don't even have leather on them, they are nubuck and foamposite.

PMshooter
03-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Lebron has incentives tied to sales and marketshare too though.

Extra cash for Bron. But it doesn't change Marbury's point that he's not locked up as X company's boy. I don't think it's such a bad thing personally.

saKf
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Se

PMshooter
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
I wear Jordans for casual and wear the Starburys to hoop. The Starburys feel just as comfortable as the Jordans(4). They may not look as nice, but my Starburys didn't rip up after one game and fall apart when I attempted a crossover dribble. If there is a difference, I don't notice it. Except that I saved much more spending $15 on shoes to play basketball. And more than likely, the Starburys and LeBrons are cut from the same material.

It makes sense. You're going to put a hell of a lot more wear on tear on shoes that you ball in. If they're even 11% as durable as a pair of LeBron's, it's worth it. If they're half as durable, you're saving a ton of money.

One of the guys I play with had a pair of Carmellos. They fit great and he loved them, until the one of the cloth eyeholes for the laces ripped. Price doesn't guarantee quality

-primetime-
03-30-2007, 02:21 PM
come on guys...I am not going to reply to all of those.

all I was getting at is that Starbury claims to be just as good as any other shoe when that is clearly not the case...

yes I know Nikes cost 5 cents to make and are overpriced...

but that means starburys cost 1 cent to make...

Lebron got $100 million dollars from Nike...think about that...$100 million...that is 1/10th of a BILLION...that means that if Nike sold 1MILLION pairs of Lebrons at $100 a pop they would just break even with Lebron...think about that...Nike also spends millions of dollars designing the shoes...then advertising....after what is close to $200 million is spent then they send it off to china and slave labor them out for $1 a piece or what ever....

why do you guys think that shoes are different than any other product out there?...do you think the $300 television that claims to be just as good as the $3000 television really is just as good?

and why does saying this make me a rich prick?...I have said numerous times that I applaud what Marbury is trying to...it would seem as though he is not worried so much about a profit but more helping out...that is a great thing and he is a good man for doing it....but that does not make Starburys as high of quality as Nikes....sorry

PMshooter
03-30-2007, 02:38 PM
The difference is this:

1.) Textiles are known to be made in the same places, from the same materials. The companies sub-contract their designs to manufacturers that put the materials together:

http://www.unc.edu/~andrewsr/ints092/vandu.html

They utilize an outsourcing strategy, using only subcontractors throughout the globe. Their majority of their output today is produced in factories in China, Indonesia, and Vietnam, but they also have factories in Italy, the Philippines, Taiwan, and South Korea.

So what you're paying for is Nike design, not Nike quality. There's no such thing. It's the quality of the 3rd world factory that is making (mostly) Nike's and whatever else in the same factory.

EDIT: Let me add that I like Nike design over Reebok, not just in terms of style, but also in terms of how it fits my foot and supports my heel. But that's not a product of the materials, it's a matter of personal preference and fit. It's quite possible whoever designed Marbury's sneaks is just as good.

2.) It's completely plausible to get a cheaper electronic product that is of a higher quality. Just got to http://www.newegg.com and sort a product by reader reviews. You'll be surprised how often the cheaper product is the better reviewed product.

When you pay extra for a brand name, you're paying for design, popularity, and stability. Sony is more likely to honor your warranty than some brand you've never heard of. But as far as I know, there's no warranty on sneakers.

allball
03-30-2007, 02:39 PM
come on guys...I am not going to reply to all of those.

all I was getting at is that Starbury claims to be just as good as any other shoe when that is clearly not the case...

yes I know Nikes cost 5 cents to make and are overpriced...

but that means starburys cost 1 cent to make...

Lebron got $100 million dollars from Nike...think about that...$100 million...that is 1/10th of a BILLION...that means that if Nike sold 1MILLION pairs of Lebrons at $100 a pop they would just break even with Lebron...think about that...Nike also spends millions of dollars designing the shoes...then advertising....after what is close to $200 million is spent then they send it off to china and slave labor them out for $1 a piece or what ever....

why do you guys think that shoes are different than any other product out there?...do you think the $300 television that claims to be just as good as the $3000 television really is just as good?

and why does saying this make me a rich prick?...I have said numerous times that I applaud what Marbury is trying to...it would seem as though he is not worried so much about a profit but more helping out...that is a great thing and he is a good man for doing it....but that does not make Starburys as high of quality as Nikes....sorry

Man Magic and Shaq have been selling cheap shoes for years and there IS a difference in quality. My son has busted out of two pairs of $18 Shaqs. One of the kids on my son's AAU team had some Starburys and quite frankly they are nowhere near the quality of the Nikes my son wears.

Tried to avoid buying him the Nikes but they are better and last longer. I buy the not so popular ones though at Academy Sports. dont fool with the Jordans. Did buy him a pair of the first Brons in white a few years ago. believe it or not his footwork improved dramatically over when he was wearing the Shaqs.

kenuffff
03-30-2007, 02:47 PM
trust me nike makes back its money and then some on lebron, same with jordan , jordan's estimated wealth is probably isn't a billion, do you realize how much nike made from jordan he built the company up, the 100 million dollars isn't some lump sum payment. they'll make billions off lebron before its said and done and he'll only have the 100 million. i don't really care what lebron's views are he has already established himself as ignorant. marbury hate the guy but he has a good heart lebron's heart is well i don't know, his heart is in building a palace and other worldly causes:rollingeyes:

-primetime-
03-30-2007, 02:48 PM
The difference is this:

1.) Textiles are known to be made in the same places, from the same materials. The companies sub-contract their designs to manufacturers that put the materials together:

http://www.unc.edu/~andrewsr/ints092/vandu.html

So what you're paying for is Nike design, not Nike quality. There's no such thing. It's the quality of the 3rd world factory that is making (mostly) Nike's and whatever else in the same factory.

EDIT: Let me add that I like Nike design over Reebok, not just in terms of style, but also in terms of how it fits my foot and supports my heel. But that's not a product of the materials, it's a matter of personal preference and fit. It's quite possible whoever designed Marbury's sneaks is just as good.

2.) It's completely plausible to get a cheaper electronic product that is of a higher quality. Just got to http://www.newegg.com and sort a product by reader reviews. You'll be surprised how often the cheaper product is the better reviewed product.

When you pay extra for a brand name, you're paying for design, popularity, and stability. Sony is more likely to honor your warranty than some brand you've never heard of. But as far as I know, there's no warranty on sneakers.

they are not the same materials...

starbury reviews refer to the leather as "cardboard like" and not stretchable

starbury shoes also don't come equiped with "shock springs, air cusions, padding around the ankle, lightweight material crap, ect." that nikes do...

that is like me saying that both a pinto and a lexus are made from the same materials...that must mean I am just paying for the Lexus name?

PMshooter
03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
that is like me saying that both a pinto and a lexus are made from the same materials...that must mean I am just paying for the Lexus name?

I'm saying clothes and shoes are manufactured in a very specific way that is much different than how electronics or cars are made. That's what I'm getting at. So it's not a good comparison.

Besides, as 14K corrolla will last you 20 years, whereas a 50K Mercedes won't. If you look at the latest consumer reports for autos, there's not a single Mercedes that they recommend. So when you pay more, you're not always paying for QUALITY.

But I don't own Marbury's so I'm not making an actual statement on the shoe. Just the stupidity of saying that paying more equals getting more. It doesn't.

All ball's argument is the most convincing since it's based on actual experience.

dogfah
03-30-2007, 02:55 PM
bron = greed

money owns him. what a fool.

-primetime-
03-30-2007, 03:00 PM
bron = greed

money owns him. what a fool.

no...he owns money

I am sure Lebron does his share of charity work...and if he doesn't now then he will later on...he is still a kid...when I was his age all I ever thought about was cool cars and girls

he might not ever get to the level of giving tht Marbury has achieved but I don't think anyone in the NBA has

-primetime-
03-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm saying clothes and shoes are manufactured in a very specific way that is much different than how electronics or cars are made. That's what I'm getting at. So it's not a good comparison.

Besides, as 14K corrolla will last you 20 years, whereas a 50K Mercedes won't. If you look at the latest consumer reports for autos, there's not a single Mercedes that they recommend. So when you pay more, you're not always paying for QUALITY.

But I don't own Marbury's so I'm not making an actual statement on the shoe. Just the stupidity of saying that paying more equals getting more. It doesn't.

All ball's argument is the most convincing since it's based on actual experience.

huh?

http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/reviews/01/mercedes-benz/index.html

that is the most popular auto review site on the net...

mercedes, like nike, is for the person that is paying alot extra to have that extra level of comfort...the person that wants to spend as little possible on something reliable would buy a toyota camery...

Ben Simmons 25
03-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Damn.

baudkarma
03-19-2019, 01:59 AM

Back in 2016, solereview.com published a story where they estimated the production costs of various athletic shoes. Their estimates for Nike ranged from $18 (Nike Free RN 2016) to $34 (Nike Air Zoom Odyssey). That's strictly the cost of materials and production for an individual pair of shoes. It doesn't factor in all of the overhead involved... building or leasing a factory, buying manufacturing equipment, shipping, customs, advertising, insurance. What it means in that Starburys are clearly not made in the same place with the same material, unless Marbury is running a charity.

Starburys are made of inferior material, especially the uppers and the padding. Which is totally cool, it's what people should expect from a $15 shoe. They make perfect sense for a parent who is buying shoes for a kid who's going to outgrow them in 3 months. But they're similar to Converse All-Stars... they're a fashion statement, not a serious athletic shoe.

TheCorporation
03-19-2019, 02:32 AM
I'll say this once because I'm a business major. There's a lot more that goes into Nike than you think:

R&D

Google it.