PDA

View Full Version : Mavs to sign 5'6" Japanese PG Yuki Togashi

oarabbus
10-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Doubt he ever sees a minute of playing time but pretty cool nonetheless. He was making it rain during summer league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4703330/mavs-near-deal-with-japanese-point-guard

CavaliersFTW
10-15-2014, 02:42 AM
gimmick

oarabbus
10-15-2014, 02:44 AM
gimmick

Earl Boykins was a 15/4 guy at his peak, Bogues was 10/10.

But I'll tiptoe around the elephant in the room on this one, I don't disagree about the gimmick part.

Cocaine80s
10-15-2014, 02:46 AM
5'6 145 lbs...

dude will get destroyed

btw what happened to aquille carr? hes the same size but had crazy hype

KDthunderup
he so wittle

no pun intended
gimmick
yup, especially coming from the same GM who wanted to draft britney griner

CavaliersFTW
10-15-2014, 02:49 AM
yup, especially coming from the same GM who wanted to draft britney griner
Oh my I forgot about that, what if Toga and Griner end up on the same team :lol they'll be the last ones on the bench but maybe in garbage time they will be the fan favorite inside/outside duo of the league :lol

BurningHammer
10-15-2014, 02:50 AM
Small guys can work in NBA as long as they can shoot very well.

CavaliersFTW
10-15-2014, 02:58 AM
Small guys can work in NBA as long as they can shoot very well.
Guys like Nate Robinson and Earl Boykins have/had a what, 6 foot 2+ inch armspans despite their heights? They're short but they've got those typical NBA proportions, gifted long arms and/or incredible vertical leaps to help them have a fighting chance doing things like play NBA level defense and cover a larger area than their height so they aren't totally useless on that end (though relative to other NBA players they almost are useless on that end outside of steals). JJ barea is the only guy I know of who has less than a 6 foot armspan in the NBA. Togashi, if he's built anything like a typical Japanese person, only has the same armspan as his height. 5-6 armspan in the NBA means his ONLY role will be on the offensive end, he will always be a huge huge liability on defense if he gets any minutes at all. Who's shots is he going to be able to contest? Even Nate Robinson will have a tremendous reach advantage over him :lol

oarabbus
10-15-2014, 03:04 AM
Guys like Nate Robinson and Earl Boykins have/had a what, 6 foot 2+ inch armspans despite their heights? They're short but they've got those typical NBA proportions, gifted long arms and/or incredible vertical leaps to help them have a fighting chance doing things like play NBA level defense and cover a larger area than their height so they aren't totally useless on that end (though relative to other NBA players they almost are useless on that end outside of steals). JJ barea is the only guy I know of who has less than a 6 foot armspan in the NBA. Togashi, if he's built anything like a typical Japanese person, only has the same armspan as his height. 5-6 armspan in the NBA means his ONLY role will be on the offensive end, he will always be a huge huge liability on defense if he gets any minutes at all. Who's shots is he going to be able to contest? Even Nate Robinson will have a tremendous reach advantage over him :lol

:biggums:

Ok, to this day, I still dont understand how Barea is able to do ANYTHING on the court against NBA players.

Seriously, any time I see him step on the court, none of his positive contributions make any sense to me. I literally don't understand what I'm seeing. And apparently his physical tools are shit on top of his lack of athleticism. Can someone explain how the **** JJ Barea was a strong contributor off the bench to a championship team and guys like Starbury and Gilbert Arenas are in China. No, I don't really care about the guys playing in China but how the **** is Barea.... anything.

Srs, WTF.

russwest0
10-15-2014, 03:06 AM
My cousin played him at the gym a while back and COOKED him.

He's an overrated scrub.

CavaliersFTW
10-15-2014, 03:17 AM

He's an overrated scrub.
My 90 year old grandma played your cousin at the gym a while back and dunked on him.

Your cousin's an overrated scrub.

retaxis
10-15-2014, 04:19 AM
I think that Russwest/Fresh Kid/Wilds has some insatiable urge to make himself hated and sound like the biggest tool. Imagine talking to this kid in real life :lol :lol

KobesFinger
10-15-2014, 04:37 AM
Congrats 20Four :applause:

Random_Guy
10-15-2014, 04:42 AM
Ive always thought that the problem wasnt the offence for short guys, as long as you are fast and skilled and have crazy arc on your shot or super fast release, then its not a big problem. the problem is the defence( as others have stated) be it length or strength, I mean just imagine him guarding russel westbrook :facepalm:

HomieWeMajor
10-15-2014, 04:53 AM
Nice :applause:
I think that Jeremy Lin put in a good word for him.

sammichoffate
10-15-2014, 05:02 AM

Ok, to this day, I still dont understand how Barea is able to do ANYTHING on the court against NBA players.

Seriously, any time I see him step on the court, none of his positive contributions make any sense to me. I literally don't understand what I'm seeing. And apparently his physical tools are shit on top of his lack of athleticism. Can someone explain how the **** JJ Barea was a strong contributor off the bench to a championship team and guys like Starbury and Gilbert Arenas are in China. No, I don't really care about the guys playing in China but how the **** is Barea.... anything.

Srs, WTF.What can you say? He's a good player :confusedshrug:

StephHamann
10-15-2014, 05:47 AM

Srs, WTF.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/1001/nba_g_james_gb2_576.jpg

R.I.P.
10-15-2014, 06:08 AM

Srs, WTF.

Cause he is seriously strong, so yes he is a good athlete. When Bynum flattened Wallace mid air he landed in the hospital with a collapsed lung. Barea finished the 3 pt play and shrugged it off. He

wally_world
10-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Great for us because now he'll be in 2k15 :banana:

MiseryCityTexas
10-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Srs, WTF.

He knocked down clutch, wide open threes for the Mavs.

Random_Guy
10-15-2014, 12:13 PM
He knocked down clutch, wide open threes for the Mavs.
he is also decent at driving though,
for some reason ive always hated on barea

Demitri98
10-15-2014, 12:22 PM
btw what happened to aquille carr? hes the same size but had crazy hype
Opted for playing overseas rather than college ball.

inclinerator
10-15-2014, 12:32 PM

He's an overrated scrub.
difference is one's in the nba and other flips burgers

Driveslow
10-15-2014, 01:00 PM

pretty sure that's why the mavs did it.

StephHamann
10-15-2014, 01:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TgfjCZONvE

Triple Double by Barea WTF :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

brooks_thompson
10-15-2014, 01:14 PM
I hate barea's attitude and play, but truth is that demeanor and psychology made him succesful in all the way to the NBA. In my entire life, I've never seen any Asian player in any sport have that fire. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Haymaker
10-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Barea is severely underrated. Dude is a good playmaker, plays hard on both ends and is very clutch. Basically the best puertorican player to play in the NBA.

Mr Exlax
10-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Congrats 20Four :applause:

Ha!

Eric Cartman
10-15-2014, 02:02 PM

Can't wait to have an entire season of 50 point triple doubles with that scrub.

Sakkreth
10-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Ive always thought that the problem wasnt the offence for short guys, as long as you are fast and skilled and have crazy arc on your shot or super fast release, then its not a big problem. the problem is the defence( as others have stated) be it length or strength, I mean just imagine him guarding russel westbrook :facepalm:

Wow you must be genius or something, how could you came up with that, nobody ever thought of that before! :bowdown:

ralph_i_el
10-15-2014, 02:23 PM
My 90 year old grandma played your cousin at the gym a while back and dunked on him.

oh yeah? My little sister crossed up your grandma and she broke her hip

Lord Bean
10-15-2014, 02:28 PM

He's an overrated scrub.
oh just like your cousin cooked chris paul ?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10330386&postcount=32303

or jimmer fre dett?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10329926&postcount=9

liar

oarabbus
10-15-2014, 04:22 PM
I hate barea's attitude and play, but truth is that demeanor and psychology made him succesful in all the way to the NBA. In my entire life, I've never seen any Asian player in any sport have that fire. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://blog.incheon2014ag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Sachin_at_Castrol_Golden_Spanner_Awards.jpg

http://www.newsgd.com/specials/athensgames/athensgamespics/200408280013_19822.jpg

http://blog.incheon2014ag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1_2012-1.jpg

http://terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/manny-bow-290x392.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Dl9jw_h7Amw/TZI5EY2xK1I/AAAAAAAAAO0/beAEPJVuPkQ/s400/article-1077930-021ED50D000005DC-38_468x369.jpg

Don't make ignorant ass claims. It's one thing to say something like 'the best athletes are black', or "there tend to not be TOO many Asian athletes with a highly competitive fire" it's another (retarded) thing to say "no asian player in ANY sport is as competitive as JJ barea" :facepalm

oarabbus
10-15-2014, 04:34 PM
After practice, Yuki Togashi & Dirk Nowitzki went 1-on-1 for one play. Togashi hit Dirk with a fadeaway & swished it. The 2 then hip bumped.

https://twitter.com/earlksneed/status/522460303322144768

The guy is already Dirking Dirk :bowdown:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-15-2014, 05:08 PM
This era is just as bad as the 50s...............5'6 Japanese nikka in the NBA:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nets fan 93
10-15-2014, 05:29 PM
And here I am posting on ish.... Congrats to this dude. Hard work pays off.

theaussieguy
10-16-2014, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Cause he is seriously strong, so yes he is a good athlete. When Bynum flattened Wallace mid air he landed in the hospital with a collapsed lung. Barea finished the 3 pt play and shrugged it off. He

Nick Young
10-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Srs, WTF.
He had the will of fire.

AintNoSunshine
10-16-2014, 08:34 AM

:oldlol:

HylianNightmare
10-16-2014, 09:13 AM
mavs are awesome

Random_Guy
10-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Wow you must be genius or something, how could you came up with that, nobody ever thought of that before! :bowdown:
:lol :lol
well some people do think that its impossbile for short guys to score:lol :lol
nvm **** off:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

bagelred
10-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Forget Linsanity! Linsanity is sooooooooooooooooooooo 5 minutes ago....

Cause now we havin' a Toga party.

tgan3
10-16-2014, 11:03 AM
What is it with Japanese and their minuscule guards? Wasn't Yuta Tabuse last japanese NBA player 5'9? Im willing to bet there are several Japanese players 6'0 and above that are better than them yet these tiny guys are always chosen...lol...

tgan3
10-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Srs, WTF.

Lack of physical tools/athleticism? He isn't nate robinson athletic but is strong as a bulldog and can dunk at 5'10 and he's crafty and gets into the lane well..

Random_Guy
10-16-2014, 11:07 AM
What is it with Japanese and their minuscule guards? Wasn't Yuta Tabuse last japanese NBA player 5'9? Im willing to bet there are several Japanese players 6'0 and above that are better than them yet these tiny guys are always chosen...lol...
let me put it this way, yes there definitely are better individual players then them, but because people here are much shorter in Asia, so we sorta have to downgrade on size. meaning players that would play center here would probably be playing SF or PF in the NBA. and because of this, the skillset doesnt translate, since pgs cant play any smaller, at least they are playing to their natural size.

Andrew Wiggins
10-16-2014, 11:08 AM
i'd be more convinced that this wasn't a gimmick if it weren't for the fact that he averaged less than 2 points a game and less than 1 assist per game for a terrible Japanese team in the asian games this summer

Random_Guy
10-16-2014, 11:20 AM
i'd be more convinced that this wasn't a gimmick if it weren't for the fact that he averaged less than 2 points a game and less than 1 assist per game for a terrible Japanese team in the asian games this summer
it obviously is a gimmick though:coleman:

Lebron23
10-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Lost of asian Point guards that are better than him. Yuta Tabuse is better than him. NBA wants to tap into the japanese market.

dgaras
10-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Lost of asian Point guards that are better than him. Yuta Tabuse is better than him. NBA wants to tap into the japanese market.

dont talk out of your ass there are no better japanese guards right now

Lebron23
10-16-2014, 02:09 PM
dont talk out of your ass there are no better japanese guards right now

I am talking about asian point guards. Paul Lee, Jayson Castro and Jimmy Alapag are better than him. The Iranian and South Korean guards are also better than him.

Eric Cartman
01-19-2015, 06:06 PM
How did this story end?

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 06:09 PM
How did this story end?
He died :(

ralph_i_el
01-19-2015, 06:12 PM
He died :(

He got stepped on and no one noticed :cry:

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 06:20 PM
He got stepped on and no one noticed :cry:
RIP little guy :(

http://ionetheurbandaily.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/tyrion-lannister-stepped-on-battlefield.gif

jongib369
01-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Oh my I forgot about that, what if Toga and Griner end up on the same team :lol they'll be the last ones on the bench but maybe in garbage time they will be the fan favorite inside/outside duo of the league :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdxJNLl8Cc

Hopefully she decides to really use it :lol

russwest0
01-19-2015, 07:38 PM

He's an overrated scrub.

Yet again, I told you all.

Cocaine80s
01-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Yet again, I told you all.
Your cousin works at the gas station while this dude played in the nba...

Who won now? :lol

TheBigVeto
01-19-2015, 11:44 PM

Srs, WTF.

Easy.
Starbury & Gilbert Arenas = Low IQ Players
Barea's Bball IQ is better than theirs combined.

russwest0
01-19-2015, 11:45 PM
Your cousin works at the gas station while this dude played in the nba...

Who won now? :lol

So it's my cousins fault that some scrub made it to the NBA?

Nig say what?

Bandito
01-19-2015, 11:48 PM

Srs, WTF.
Because of his will/balls. Same way he dates Miss Universe and Lebron can't even get with a butterface Olympic athlete.:lol

BuffaloBill
01-19-2015, 11:55 PM
How did this story end?

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34000000/-KnB-Gifs-kuroko-no-basuke-34078947-500-283.gif