PDA

View Full Version : Bill Laimbeer on the Dan Patrick Show 4/18/14

Round Mound
10-15-2014, 08:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbO_MLVq-8

:roll: :applause: :cheers: :bowdown: :pimp:

jayfan
10-15-2014, 08:55 PM
"We were one of the best executing offensive and defensive basketball teams there ever has been."

True.

Round Mound
10-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Laimbeer was dirty but he was a very good defender, far range shooter and great rebounder. He was an asshole yes, but the dude wasn`t a scrub. Loved his attitude towards the best players and teams, he didn`t care for anybody but his team. Miss this in todays nba...

Haymaker
10-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Loved his attitude towards the best players and teams, he didn`t care for anybody but his team. Miss this in todays nba...

So true. Bunch of ******* nowadays. The team culture is not the same.

Rake2204
10-15-2014, 10:30 PM
That was actually a pretty good interview. Bill Laimbeer can be a bit polarizing to me, and I say that as a Pistons fan who modeled a portion of my game after him. When he was a commentator for the Pistons, there were more than a few times where I was like, "Yeesh, that might be a bit one-sided and rich." But in this interview, he kept it mostly real.

I thought his words on how the media tends to blow up the things that weren't big while missing some things that were was on point. He may be really biased, but he does not beat around the bush, and that tends to lead to a clearer grasp on how things were when he played.

Stringer Bell
10-16-2014, 03:45 AM
I detested Laimbeer, his dirty cheap shots, his annoying whiny face when a call would go against him. The dirty shots he took by Parish (1987) and Pippen (1990) in the playoffs and the shiner Barkley gave him late in the 89-90 season...good times.

He was also known to reject autograph requests from kids not by simply saying "no", but often rather by saying to the kid to go **** himself.

But he was a good player and an important part of those Pistons teams. He could have been even more effective if he developed a low post game, but mainly shot from the outside and mid-range. Not only was he one of the best centers ever at shooting from the outside, but he had a very quick release that made his shots hard to block. He would catch the ball kind of low, immediately bring it up and then release it in a quick fluid motion.

A lot of people probably don't know about some of his accomplishments:

*4 time All-Star
*Ranked in the top 5 in rebounding for 5 consecutive seasons
*Led the NBA in rebounding in 96' with 13.1 rebounds per game.
*Played in 685 consecutive games
*Missed a total of just 10 games in 13 seasons (only his last season is when he suffered a major injury and missed most of the season)
*More than 10,000 career rebounds. #32 all-time

He wasn't just a whiny dickhead goon. He was a whiny dickhead goon who could play.

SamuraiSWISH
10-16-2014, 03:50 AM
He wasn't just a whiny dickhead goon.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Rake2204
10-16-2014, 09:41 AM
He was also known to reject autograph requests from kids not by simply saying "no", but often rather by saying to the kid to go **** himself.I had not heard this one before. Do you have a source?

Da_Realist
10-16-2014, 11:24 AM
About the walkoff... I don't think they had a problem with the Bulls saying they were "bad people", I think they were upset that their run was over. The Bulls didn't say anything in 91 that most of the league wasn't saying since 87. The Pistons credo as a team was always, "We don't care", but they walk off because suddenly they care about what some somebody said in an interview? They laughed, winked and scoffed at the same accusations for 4 years.

They were upset that they were about to lose. It's really about time they stop posing like victims. They knew their run was over. They hated the Bulls. They were about to get swept. That's why they walked off.

Rake2204
10-16-2014, 12:20 PM
About the walkoff... I don't think they had a problem with the Bulls saying they were "bad people", I think they were upset that their run was over. The Bulls didn't say anything in 91 that most of the league wasn't saying since 87. The Pistons credo as a team was always, "We don't care", but they walk off because suddenly they care about what some somebody said in an interview? They laughed, winked and scoffed at the same accusations for 4 years.

They were upset that they were about to lose. It's really about time they stop posing like victims. They knew their run was over. They hated the Bulls. They were about to get swept. That's why they walked off.I personally think the "walk off" is one of the most overblown moments in NBA history. When Bill mentioned in the Dan Patrick interview that maybe some aspects of the documentary focused too much on things that weren't that big of a deal while other aspects weren't touched on enough, I imagined he may have been referring to the walk-off, in part.

I believe Bill was pretty on-point about the walk-off in the Patrick interview and it seemed terribly honest.

-Bill was pissed about losing, to the Bulls no less, particularly knowing their window was likely closing (or had closed)
-Chuck initially dissuaded him from leaving earlier
-Bill opted to begin walking with maybe 15 seconds left, others followed because game was essentially over anyway
-Clock stopped, made things seem worse, otherwise would have been walking past Bulls bench after time had expired
-Celtics did same thing, was rightfully forgotten by history

I don't think it's unrealistic to think the Pistons were upset with Chicago's comments, perhaps believing the Bulls waited until they put the Pistons on the ropes, only then to begin making personal comments from the top of their perch. And I don't think it's unrealistic to think the Pistons were just flat out pissed, period - for losing to their rivals, for knowing they were at the end of their run, for having to cede the throne of being the guys on top, etc. All normal reactions.

Should everyone have stayed and shaken hands? Yes, that would have been the right thing. But I find it so strange that it was made out to be the deal that it was. Bill began walking when the game was "over" with 15 seconds left and his teammates were not adverse to following at that point because, why not? In the heat of battle, they likely felt the Bulls had shown little respect (perhaps in response to a perception of the Pistons not showing respect before) and thus some from Detroit may have felt there was no need to go out of their way to respect the Bulls at the conclusion of their performance.

But through it all, it's often perplexed me as to why it's been painted as this strange masterminded plan by the likes of Isiah Thomas as a means of doing something really awful and noteworthy. Guys began walking toward the lockerroom with 15 seconds left of a 21 point elimination game. Of all the things the Bad Boys did (for better or worse), I'm not sure that one should even register.

Stringer Bell
10-16-2014, 01:01 PM
I had not heard this one before. Do you have a source?

I remember reading it a couple of times. Once in Dennis Rodman's book.

Kareem was the same way. The Showtime book was one that discussed it. Instead of just saying "no I can't" or something like that, he'd be extremely rude about it.

Rake2204
10-16-2014, 01:07 PM
I remember reading it a couple of times. Once in Dennis Rodman's book.

Kareem was the same way. The Showtime book was one that discussed it. Instead of just saying "no I can't" or something like that, he'd be extremely rude about it.Interesting. I'd be curious to hear the details behind that. For as big a jerk as Bill was/is, he seemed to only act as such toward those who he felt deserved it (rightfully or not) so I wonder what would have allegedly provoked him to treat kids in such a manner. My first thought was that maybe he was a jerk to autograph hounds, trying to make a buck off of him, or the types who'd request an autograph then cuss them out if he refused.

Stringer Bell
10-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Interesting. I'd be curious to hear the details behind that. For as big a jerk as Bill was/is, he seemed to only act as such toward those who he felt deserved it (rightfully or not) so I wonder what would have allegedly provoked him to treat kids in such a manner. My first thought was that maybe he was a jerk to autograph hounds, trying to make a buck off of him, or the types who'd request an autograph then cuss them out if he refused.

Well it was coming from Dennis Rodman, so maybe Rodman was just exaggerating things for the sake of his book.

Can't remember where else I heard about it. Kareem though, complete a---ole to the fans. After his house burned down and he lost his collection of thousands of jazz records, a lot of fans sent him jazz records or even gave him records when they saw him. So for a little while, he was nice to fans. Then he went back to being a d--k.

There's one story where Kareem was asking Magic how to be successful in business, and Magic told him he had to learn to be nice to people. During their playing days, a father and son asked Kareem for an autograph, and he rudely declined. Magic felt sorry for them because they looked so hurt, so he signed something for them. Years later, Magic was doing a business deal and it turned out to be the son he was working with. He said he still had that autograph hung up and it meant a lot to him and his dad that Magic went out of his way to sign something for them.

pudman13
10-16-2014, 02:59 PM
From everything I've read about Kareem, I don't think it's fair to call him a jerk. I'd say he's more socially inept, an introvert who simply doesn't know how to deal with people.

IncarceratedBob
10-16-2014, 03:26 PM
who the hell is bill lambier

Rake2204
11-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Some Laimbeer fun facts:

After losing Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals 108-105, to the Lakers, Laimbeer and Thomas stole a bottle of champagne from the champs and brought it back to their locker room, where they drank it while plotting their comeback.

A little commentary, when asked about his favorite players: "The best by far is LeBron James. Kevin Durant is fun to watch. Kobe Bryant is the smartest." Who reminds him most of a young Laimbeer? "Kevin Love, in some ways. He's not the defender I may have been, but he's much more of an offensive threat than I ever was."

The renowned provocateur has said, "I don't fight. I agitate, then walk away." Apparently his tactic worked: He has been tackled by Scottie Pippen, had his nose broken by Bob Lanier, and has been punched by Robert Parish, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley and more.http://espn.go.com/espnw/inthegame/9507762/bill-laimbeer-espnw