PDA

View Full Version : Is David Blatt a championship level coach?

Nick Young
10-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Is David Blatt capable of guiding his team to the NBA title?
http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/34574463/482331283.0_standard_730.0.jpg

DukeDelonte13
10-17-2014, 08:53 AM
:confusedshrug: i'll guess we will find out soon enough.

He's led teams to european championships, however i think the 7 game playoff series is going to be new territory for him.

Derka
10-17-2014, 08:59 AM
We're gonna find out.

hawkfan
10-17-2014, 09:04 AM
LeBron is running the team.

Qwyjibo
10-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Championships are won by the players. If you have enough talent on the floor, the coach's job is to simply not screw things up in terms of minutes/rotations. That's something that I assume should be a basic thing for any NBA coach to understand. Blatt won't need to have a big impact. So, yeah sure. They can win a title.

swagga
10-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Is David Blatt capable of guiding his team to the NBA title?
http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/34574463/482331283.0_standard_730.0.jpg

i've seen some euroleague/world cups from this guy and here's my opinion:
- he adapts to the strengths of the team. He ran some very aggresive defensive teams when he had the personel, he ran zones when he didn't. He ran hybrids. He runs some crafty euro offensive sets. He ran fast break teams.
- his russia beat spain in 2007, in spain... the same team that went 107-118 vs USA in the 2008 olympics final.
- gave the US a scare when he was coaching russia, at the 2010 WC.
- dude is smart, educated and elloquent, you can see it in the interviews, he also went to princeton
- some great timeout plays for major wins against vastly more talented teams
- he plays the media (he said the soviets won it fair in 1972 when he played usa in 2010):lol .. and other shit.. funny as hell
- he was arguably the best coach in europe last year
- has a tendency to really state his mind : "you shut the fck up", "you're playing like shit, hit the bench", etc

Magic731
10-17-2014, 09:51 AM
No one ever thought Spoelstra was a championship level coach. In fact very few coaches are considered 'championship level' until they win one.

Thorpesaurous
10-17-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm really intrigued by everything I've read and heard about him, and what little I've seen. A big part of that is what I've heard about him from one of my old coaches. He was a great player. Played collegiately at GW, and played professionally in France and a few other places. And now as he approaches over 50, he's still playing, but in age bracked leagues. And he won the gold medal in the three on three division he was in at the Maccabbi games. Anyway, he's told me he loves Blatt. Was saying long before he was on my radar that he was among the ten best basketball minds in the world.

My only concern with him is that he may be inclined to do too much based on all the things I've heard. Although I love variety and flexibility. And I think in recent years we've seen top tier coaches have huge impacts on how the season ends. But while I wouldn't say I agree with what Qwyjibo says up there, there's certainly an element of truth to it.

Inactive
10-17-2014, 10:25 AM
How would anyone know? He's obviously a championship level coach internationally, but he will presumably have to adjust his style in order to be successful in the NBA. We'll see how it works out.

I<3NBA
10-17-2014, 10:28 AM
well, he's won championships in Europe...

Thorpesaurous
10-17-2014, 10:40 AM
I thought Spolestra was in way over his head that first year. And I still believe that was true. And I also believe that by the end of the run, he was one of the best five coaches in the league, and not just because of the success, but because of the thought he put into that offense, and adjusting both the offense, and the attacking trapping defense, in a way that really wasn't being used anywhere else league wide. So I'm not even sure we'll know a ton about Blatt even after this season ends.