PDA

View Full Version : Why thibodeau is NOT a good head coach, with proof

swagga
10-17-2014, 09:37 AM
First of all I think thibs is one of the goat D assistent coaches, but he is a poor head coach. Before saying anything, hear me out. There are many types of coaches: championship coaches, young team coaches, player coaches, system coaches and so on.

IMO thibs is a system coach and he is best suited for the assistent D position.

In terms of truely managing a team we have:
1. defensive schemes
his boston and chicago work are top class in this field.
VERDICT: ELITE

2. offensive schemes
sometimes almost mike brownesque. People might say it's the roster but look at what pop, budenholzer or carlisle are doing with what people consider garbage pickups... they know how to maximize their players skills on the O side. Thibs sticks to his guns like any system coach. We'll see how he does this season with a roster with serious firepower but for now he has showed nothing of quality.
VERDICT: bad

3. minutes management
Pretty self explanatory. Goes hand in hand with 4.
VERDICT -> A tier under horrific :lol

4. season management
Deng almost dying, Rose acl in the last minutes of a finished game, when he should of been on the bench, noah's legs, 30 mins+ in preseason for starters when all the league is resting its players for a long season, half the team is constantly banged up after the all star game, they are gassed in the PO, etc
VERDICT -> a tier under horrific :lol

5. ego management & motivator
His teams play HARD.
But derrick rose didn't play for a long time even though he was healthy,
otherwise thibs got lucky here, he had coachable players, however you can bet your ass a rasheed or lance stephenson wouln't stay in line under his inflexible ways
VERDICT -> good but a bit untested

6. lineups
no creativity, just optimized for defense. He doesn't adjust the lineups for the team he. Great coaches do this, but a system coach like thibs never does.
VERDICT -> meh to bad

7. plays out of timeouts
again, uncreative, always going for the same things. You'll rarely see a brad stevens/pop/carlisle masterfully called play.
VERDICT -> meh to bad

8. media game & playing the refs
He doesn't play the media to seed intrigue, he doesn't play the refs. He is no Phil Jackson. This self rightous white dude thing isn't going to cut it, to get that extra edge, especially in the PO.
VERDICT -> really bad

9. attracting free agents
Missed out on wade, bosh, lebron, howard, melo, amare, ray allen, KG, pierce, deron, shawn marion and basically anything that had ANY worth. You never hear chicago getting coveted free agents, even though chicago has a HUGE market! ... except a disgruntled old gasol.
No wonder with the minutes guys play for him.
VERDICT -> horrific

10.flexibility & adaptivity
When the system got exposed or people were hitting shots they weren't supposed to hit the bulls got beaten. No ifs buts and maybes. He changed too little/nothing against Miami, Philly, Wizards... his adaptations were only variations on the same themes.
VERDICT -> bad

11. developing young talent
Butler was a nice find, as was snell. Rose/gibson were already there when he got to CHI. Mcdermott looks nice, as does the serbian dude. We'll see this season.
VERDICT -> adequate to good

So he is what he is, a one trick pony with a GREAT trick in his defensive&play hard system. That is great for the regular season. But imo he is by no means a championship coach. I find it cringeworthy when he is put in the same discussion with pop/carlisle as these two are much much more well rounded and won rings by outcoaching more talented sides (heat, old lakers, thunder, old phoenix, etc)

I am by no means a hater, just calling it like it is.

Haymaker
10-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Yeah, he's too stubborn to change his methods and/or accept criticism. But he's a helluva defensive coach and everyone on his team respects him and play hard for him.

ArbitraryWater
10-17-2014, 09:51 AM
At least you gave your reasoning.

swagga
10-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Yeah, he's too stubborn to change his methods and/or accept criticism. But he's a helluva defensive coach and everyone on his team respects him and play hard for him.

maybe in front of the media but as the injuries keep piling up I'm not so sure about this one.

swagga
10-17-2014, 09:53 AM
At least you gave your reasoning.

an arbitrary reply

InfiniteBaskets
10-17-2014, 11:51 AM
He's not a good heat coach because he didn't get a job there.

imnew09
10-17-2014, 01:13 PM
He's not a good heat coach because he's a Bulls Coach

CavaliersFTW
10-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Not a good Heat coach because he never coached the Heat

J Shuttlesworth
10-17-2014, 01:23 PM
With all that said, he is still one of the best coaches in the league. What does that say? Weak era for coaches?

nathanjizzle
10-17-2014, 02:21 PM
I did not see one monicum of proof, just conjecture

JohnMax
10-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Alvin Gentry is the offensive version of Thibs

Spaulding
10-17-2014, 02:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/40L3pPI.gif

ballinhun8
10-17-2014, 05:11 PM
I would say worst thread ever but you actually thought this through and wrote alot with what you think it's "proof".

I respect that. I disagree with you but I'm not gonna hate.

ILLsmak
10-17-2014, 06:58 PM

yeah was like wat is this dude on?

-Smak

Undisputed
10-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Thibs is a good coach. The Bulls success over the past few years under terrible circumstances with player health has been awesome to watch. He just finds ways to win with anyone available. Like I've said on another thread talking about Thibs recently, he's the best basketball coach that Chicago has seen since Phil Jackson, and better than the majority of NBA coaches employed right now.

Does he have his short comings like every other coach in the league? Yes. Is he a bad head coach? You can't even argue that, man. You can sit there and state your half ignorant analysis and spit "proof" that is just opinion all day, it still doesn't change the fact that he has not had a losing season since becoming a head coach and has coached a team all the way to the Eastern conference finals already. He did this with his with his best players having consistent injury woes.

I hope Thibs is a lifer in Chicago. I will be pretty upset if he goes elsewhere.

dannywpt
10-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Wait, I read through a big part of your post when I suddenly realized it was NOT Theoo who made the thread

VengefulAngel
10-17-2014, 07:36 PM

At least the OP explained why he hasn't got employed by the Heat yet. We'll let Chicago keep him...

Smoke117
10-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Already making excuses for when the Cavs eliminate the Bulls eh?

poido123
10-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Thibs is a good coach. The Bulls success over the past few years under terrible circumstances with player health has been awesome to watch. He just finds ways to win with anyone available. Like I've said on another thread talking about Thibs recently, he's the best basketball coach that Chicago has seen since Phil Jackson, and better than the majority of NBA coaches employed right now.

Does he have his short comings like every other coach in the league? Yes. Is he a bad head coach? You can't even argue that, man. You can sit there and state your half ignorant analysis and spit "proof" that is just opinion all day, it still doesn't change the fact that he has not had a losing season since becoming a head coach and has coached a team all the way to the Eastern conference finals already. He did this with his with his best players having consistent injury woes.

I hope Thibs is a lifer in Chicago. I will be pretty upset if he goes elsewhere.

:applause:

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. :pimp: