10-17-2014, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9bsP3UIk8

looky what I found

KobesFinger
10-17-2014, 12:40 PM
What I noticed:

So many turnovers
Hardly any left handed dribbling
Fast breaks (if you can call them that) looked like what you'd see from people who don't play the game

But good find

CavaliersFTW
10-17-2014, 12:55 PM
What I noticed:

So many turnovers
Hardly any left handed dribbling
Fast breaks (if you can call them that) looked like what you'd see from people who don't play the game

But good find
And to curtail, what more objective fans might also notice:

Lots of turnovers, because the game was called tight and the U.S. team played aggressive on both ends, and was a lot more talented than the USSR team. 1992 Olympic basketball games also had "lots of turnovers" for the same reason.
USSR team that game was probably as good as most of the teams U.S. faced in 1992, though I only highlighted the U.S. team in these clips.
Jerry West was right hand dominant, we get it, as co-captain he brought the ball up a lot in that 1960 game half footage so of course watching him do his thing all game makes it look like "hardly any left hand dribbling" was normal, but it wasn't even back then... nobody else I watched had an allergic off hand that game.
Their fast break resulted in points did it not? 1960 team looks solid, greatest/most talented amateur team the U.S. ever assembled. Quit hating.

pudman13
10-17-2014, 01:15 PM
The first thing that stands out to me is that on this team West played PG more than Robertson did, at least in these clips.

CavaliersFTW
10-17-2014, 01:19 PM
The first thing that stands out to me is that on this team West played PG more than Robertson did, at least in these clips.
Yeah it's a small sample from a game fragment though. Oscar didn't start the second half but he finished the game. And we also know he was a starter so he could have played the whole first half, rested the "3rd quarter" of play (where West picked up ball handling) than come back in and retained control. If you notice, once he checks in the ball is in his hands at least as much as it is in West's if not a little more.

This is only the 2nd half of one Olympic game. So the way we should look at it is, how much would the 2nd half of the Croatia game tell you about the 1992 dream team? Wish we had more. I've got a few more clips from this game btw, in color, from what appears to be the first half. No sound though.

pudman13
10-17-2014, 01:35 PM
It's also notable that with Oscar at 6'5" and West at 6'4 1/2" that's one really big backcourt, and they were both excellent rebounders.

mehyaM24
10-17-2014, 01:40 PM
i hate shitting on past eras - but wow that was some terribly played basketball.

awful coordination, numerous turnovers, no offensive sets, chucking without hesitation.

that was brutal to watch.

Psileas
10-17-2014, 04:25 PM
GOAT lineup in a team till the Dream Team appeared.
USA just toying with the 2nd best team in the world, especially defensively (love West's intensity). Some love to pretend that the margin between the NBA and the rest of the world peaked at the time of the Dream Team, yet, 32 years before then, an all-college team was dominating almost in the same manner. An all-pro team of that era would be beating the Soviets by around 50 and everyone else by 60+.

Haymaker
10-17-2014, 04:42 PM
What's with the horrible shot selection?

CavaliersFTW
10-17-2014, 04:43 PM
i hate shitting on past eras - but wow that was some terribly played basketball.

awful coordination, numerous turnovers, no offensive sets, chucking without hesitation.

that was brutal to watch.
Yeah, looked almost as bad as USA vs Croatia 1992. Past basketball is so painful to watch.

mehyaM24
10-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah, looked almost as bad as USA vs Croatia 1992. Past basketball is so painful to watch.
i saw nobody on the level of petrovic or kukoc in that clip. LOL at your bias.

CavaliersFTW
10-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Brilliant. Do you ever wonder sometimes why you are here posting on ISH and not scouting for the NBA?

mehyaM24
10-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Brilliant.
im glad that you agree - but why post footage that completely embarrasses wilt's era?

Psileas
10-17-2014, 06:12 PM

:facepalm
Right, because, after all, Petrovic and Kukoc were looking like their normal selves when facing the Dream Team...Especially Kukoc in their 1st encounter looked like a scrub, quite painful to watch really.

CavaliersFTW
10-17-2014, 08:45 PM
:rockon:

SHAQisGOAT
10-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Nice :applause: Great to see some of those guys playing together, amazing team.

Clear to see the game was much more physical. And who are the refs? International always considerably worse than NBA refs, ever since then :confusedshrug:

Team USA playing great D... Jerry West at that :bowdown:

senelcoolidge
10-18-2014, 08:35 AM
The 1960 team, considered the greatest amateur Olympic team ever. Probably overall ever.

jongib369
10-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Haven't had a chance to watch it in full yet but looking forward to it :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4wVhQ7hX8

LAZERUSS
10-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Given the fact that a team comprised of relatively no-names easily won the Gold in '68, and a '72 team team that didn't even have the top 3-4 college players were robbed of a gold medal...

One can only wonder what a '68 and '72 team, with it's best players would have done.

Team '68:

Barry
Hawkins
Lucas
Reed
Baylor
Havlicek
West
Oscar
Bing
Frazier
Russell
Wilt
Thurmond

Kareem, Hayes, Maravich.

Team '72:

Dr. J
Barry
DeBusschere
Hawkins
Hayes
Havlicek
Maravich
West
Archibald
Frazier
Kareem
Wilt
Gilmore

Thompson, Walton, and McAdoo.

CavaliersFTW
10-18-2014, 07:49 PM
bump

Miller for 3
10-19-2014, 10:41 AM
bump

Thanks for posting. Makes me glad to be in the Lebron era. No wonder 60s basketball had no fans and is considered an * era, game looks awful. Modern D-League >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>60s international basketball

Burgz V2
10-19-2014, 11:03 AM
im glad that you agree - but why post footage that completely embarrasses wilt's era?

dude this comeback was so weak.

B-hoop
10-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Damn i dont like hating on the 60's but that game was horrible. No offensive coordination whatsoever, tons of turnovers caused by players not being able to catch passes..just horrible level all around.

Psileas
10-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Damn i dont like hating on the 60's but that game was horrible. No offensive coordination whatsoever, tons of turnovers caused by players not being able to catch passes..just horrible level all around.

The black-white bias.
There is literally only 1 play in the clip when the Americans miss a pass, and this is just a few plays before the game ends and practically nobody cares. So, you couldn't be more off when it comes to describing the Americans.
Even the Soviets, who committed more TO's, did so due to the Americans' pressure, not because they didn't know where their teammates were or because they weren't able to catch passes. Plus, the Soviets are irrelevant, everyone knew that the US were light years above everyone back then.

Akhenaten
10-19-2014, 11:49 AM
That was horrific to watch, I respect pioneers because they set the foundation, but the notion of those players (West, Baylor etc) AS THEY WERE THEN being ANYWHERE NEAR as good or better than somebody like Tmac, Wade, or Kobe....I cant even find the words to explain how absurd that is.

mehyaM24
10-19-2014, 12:11 PM
i mean, am i missing something here? how do you come away thinking "that was great basketball man!" people need to set their biases aside and just accept the underlying truth: this was terrible

LAZERUSS
10-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Yep...players from the 60's would not make D-League rosters today.

Nolan Ryan was arguably the hardest throwing pitcher in MLB history, and yet Greg Maddux was a more dominant pitcher some 20 years ago.

A PED-hanced Barry Bonds' longest HR was 490 ft. A broken down 5-11 190 lb alcoholic Mickey Mantle was hitting 550 ft HRs in the 60's...and yet never approached Bonds' domination from a little over a decade ago.

Jim Brown was bigger, and likely faster than Adrian Peterson, and yet was no more dominant Peterson was just a couple of years ago. How come a more physically gifted Brown, couldn't produce far greater numbers against the much slower and smaller NFL of the 60's?

And how does Tiki Barber, in his last two seasons in the NFL, and at ages 30 and 31, put up "Brown-like" numbers in '05 and '06? I could argue that if Barber and Peterson could put up 1800-2000 yard seasons just in the last few years, that Bo Jackson, OJ Simpson, and Eric Dickerson would be demolishing their marks in those same years.

We know that Kareem at 39 years was the best center in the NBA, and was just pulverizing the likes of Hakeem and Ewing. And yet a prime Kareem couldn't hit the broadside of a barn against an aging Thurmond in three straight playoff series. And a 6-10 245 Moses just annhilated a near prime Kareem from '79 thru '83.

There is footage of a college Maravich, taken in the 60's, in which he makes Ricky Rubio look like a Russian from the 60's. And yet the Pistol was never considered to be on the level of a "one-handed" Jerry West.

Yes, the game is played somewhat differently today than the 60's, but you could make the same argument over the NBA of the 80's, as well. In the mid-80's teams were scoring 120+ ppg, and even 30-52 teams were shooting over 50% from the field. Would MJ, Magic, Bird, Ewing, and Hakeem be bench-warmers in today's NBA?

B-hoop
10-19-2014, 01:24 PM
I think Laz posts blocks of text just so we won't read them and find all the lies and out of context phrases he throws in.

I never said they were bad players, just saying that particular part of the game that we saw in the footage was horrible.

And when I talked about the players not catching passes i meant mainly the Soviets. I really liked the intense defense they were playing, but the offense was horrible you gotta admit, the first 3 minutes of the video are made of bricks and turnovers one after the other, from both teams.

jongib369
10-19-2014, 02:33 PM
I think Laz posts blocks of text just so we won't read them and find all the lies and out of context phrases he throws in.

I never said they were bad players, just saying that particular part of the game that we saw in the footage was horrible.

And when I talked about the players not catching passes i meant mainly the Soviets. I really liked the intense defense they were playing, but the offense was horrible you gotta admit, the first 3 minutes of the video are made of bricks and turnovers one after the other, from both teams.
http://youtu.be/_8D0IIW4-pU

http://youtu.be/X49Vi7IRyKE

:cheers:

Miller for 3
10-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Yeah they aren't terrible players. Like if I saw Wilt playing at the Y i would take him on my pickup team with a top 8 pick, and he would probably be our 5th or 6th leading scorer. But compared to current NBA players? They are awful. Ryan Hollins would average 70/50/20 in his sleep in the 60s

Cocaine80s
10-19-2014, 08:33 PM
holy shit these guys are trash :oldlol:

I think some high school teams would beat these guys

CavaliersFTW
10-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Basically the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeYi1j7qLs

HS level ball at best. Right cocaine? :lol

stanlove1111
10-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Yep...players from the 60's would not make D-League rosters today.

Nolan Ryan was arguably the hardest throwing pitcher in MLB history, and yet Greg Maddux was a more dominant pitcher some 20 years ago.

A PED-hanced Barry Bonds' longest HR was 490 ft. A broken down 5-11 190 lb alcoholic Mickey Mantle was hitting 550 ft HRs in the 60's...and yet never approached Bonds' domination from a little over a decade ago.

Jim Brown was bigger, and likely faster than Adrian Peterson, and yet was no more dominant Peterson was just a couple of years ago. How come a more physically gifted Brown, couldn't produce far greater numbers against the much slower and smaller NFL of the 60's?

And how does Tiki Barber, in his last two seasons in the NFL, and at ages 30 and 31, put up "Brown-like" numbers in '05 and '06? I could argue that if Barber and Peterson could put up 1800-2000 yard seasons just in the last few years, that Bo Jackson, OJ Simpson, and Eric Dickerson would be demolishing their marks in those same years.

We know that Kareem at 39 years was the best center in the NBA, and was just pulverizing the likes of Hakeem and Ewing. And yet a prime Kareem couldn't hit the broadside of a barn against an aging Thurmond in three straight playoff series. And a 6-10 245 Moses just annhilated a near prime Kareem from '79 thru '83.

There is footage of a college Maravich, taken in the 60's, in which he makes Ricky Rubio look like a Russian from the 60's. And yet the Pistol was never considered to be on the level of a "one-handed" Jerry West.

Yes, the game is played somewhat differently today than the 60's, but you could make the same argument over the NBA of the 80's, as well. In the mid-80's teams were scoring 120+ ppg, and even 30-52 teams were shooting over 50% from the field. Would MJ, Magic, Bird, Ewing, and Hakeem be bench-warmers in today's NBA?

A lot of garbage on this post.

Who cares about baseball its a game not a sport..

Your Maravich vs Rubio comment is ridiculous.

Your football opinions are laughable.. One question..If you pitted the 1968 Green bay Packers against Seattle of last year what would the final score be? If you give a really stupid answer like you might be about to do I am going to work night and day on having your banned from this site.

CavaliersFTW
10-19-2014, 09:04 PM
A lot of garbage on this post.

Who cares about baseball its a game not a sport..

Your Maravich vs Rubio comment is ridiculous.

Your football opinions are laughable.. One question..If you pitted the 1968 Green bay Packers against Seattle of last year what would the final score be? If you give a really stupid answer like you might be about to do I am going to work night and day on having your banned from this site.
I'll answer for him.

Under 1968 rules and equipment, '68 Packers win. They mastered the game of their time. 2014 Seattle has not.

Under 2014 rules and equipment, Seattle wins. They've mastered the game of this time. '68 Packers have not.

Make any similarly dominant team constructed to play the game a specific way jump eras to pit them against a team from said other era constructed to play a different game, especially for just one game, and the team that is familiar and designed to play for that time is going to have an edge.

Quite simple.

Best of luck getting me banned.

stanlove1111
10-19-2014, 09:25 PM
I'll answer for him.

Under 1968 rules and equipment, '68 Packers win. They mastered the game of their time. 2014 Seattle has not.

Under 2014 rules and equipment, Seattle wins. They've mastered the game of this time. '68 Packers have not.

Make any similarly dominant team constructed to play the game a specific way jump eras to pit them against a team from said other era constructed to play a different game, especially for just one game, and the team that is familiar and designed to play for that time is going to have an edge.

Quite simple.

Best of luck getting me banned.

I meant to ask this question to the delusion old timers before this. But thank you for showing what a joke you really are when comparing eras.

Correct answer.

Seattle from today beats the Packers 80-0 no matter what rules and equipment they use.

Average weight of the Pakers front line 245..I imagine Seatles is over 300 hundred..And you can go down the line. They didn't even really lift weights back then..There are high chool teams that would beat the 68 packers and it wouldn't even be that close..

You are really amazing..That was basically an IQ test, but it showed your blind bias..

CavaliersFTW
10-19-2014, 10:11 PM
I meant to ask this question to the delusion old timers before this. But thank you for showing what a joke you really are when comparing eras.

Correct answer.

Seattle from today beats the Packers 80-0 no matter what rules and equipment they use.

Average weight of the Pakers front line 245..I imagine Seatles is over 300 hundred..And you can go down the line. They didn't even really lift weights back then..There are high chool teams that would beat the 68 packers and it wouldn't even be that close..

You are really amazing..That was basically an IQ test, but it showed your blind bias..
So, what plays would 2014 Seattle be running in 1968 again? Without ear pieces who on the 2014 team is communicating every play with who? How do they even know what plays will work with the different rules? Winning a team game is about preparation and complete understanding of opponents and rules as much as anything else. Neither team would understand their opponent, but only one team would understand the rules. You time travel some team that has never played under the limitations of certain rules with further limitations of certain time period specific equipment that team is going to lose. Some extra gym mass can be a great asset, but you have to understand the damn game and football is extremely complicated and requires a lot of coordination by all of the individual players on the field. By innumerable flags and errors alone 1968 team wins handily if the 2014 is just plopped in a 1968 lockerroom given some vintage pads and told to march on the field and play.

Btw, what year were you born again? You've claimed you watched all of the late 1970's and early 1980's Sixers with Dr. J and Darryl Dawkins, etc. One of the most acrobatic athletic line ups that has ever graced an NBA court, more acrobatic than most every team in the league today, yet you straight faced like to act like the lowest level NBA teams today, many anchored by plodding stiffs and no names like the current 76ers, are better and/or more athletic simply due to what... time that has passed? Am I misrepresenting your opinion here? You are either extremely misinformed, gullible enough to buy into all of the aggressive marketing that has gone into sports of the past couple of decades where listed info and "bigger faster stronger" mantras have become exponentially more exaggerated.., are you are just a kid pretending to be old so as to misrepresent fans who actually grew up and watched a lot of sports for a few dozen decades just to troll. Knowing the type of posters ISH attracts, I'm very inclined to believe the latter.

So tell us a little bit about yourself, if you don't mind. So we can all better understand how you've come to believe that sports teams and athletes perform on what is basically a linear curve of improvement. Something no genuinely older/wiser individual that has watched decades of sports that I've ever talked to in person, has ever expressed. True students of the sports tend to point out things people overlook. You never do, you always say broad sweeping generalizations that strictly adhere to the ignorantly simple "newer=better" formula. Older sports heads I've met don't talk like how you talk, they don't believe what you believe. So please, tell us why you are so different.

stanlove1111
10-20-2014, 10:27 AM
So, what plays would 2014 Seattle be running in 1968 again? Without ear pieces who on the 2014 team is communicating every play with who? How do they even know what plays will work with the different rules? Winning a team game is about preparation and complete understanding of opponents and rules as much as anything else. Neither team would understand their opponent, but only one team would understand the rules. You time travel some team that has never played under the limitations of certain rules with further limitations of certain time period specific equipment that team is going to lose. Some extra gym mass can be a great asset, but you have to understand the damn game and football is extremely complicated and requires a lot of coordination by all of the individual players on the field. By innumerable flags and errors alone 1968 team wins handily if the 2014 is just plopped in a 1968 lockerroom given some vintage pads and told to march on the field and play.

Btw, what year were you born again? You've claimed you watched all of the late 1970's and early 1980's Sixers with Dr. J and Darryl Dawkins, etc. One of the most acrobatic athletic line ups that has ever graced an NBA court, more acrobatic than most every team in the league today, yet you straight faced like to act like the lowest level NBA teams today, many anchored by plodding stiffs and no names like the current 76ers, are better and/or more athletic simply due to what... time that has passed? Am I misrepresenting your opinion here? You are either extremely misinformed, gullible enough to buy into all of the aggressive marketing that has gone into sports of the past couple of decades where listed info and "bigger faster stronger" mantras have become exponentially more exaggerated.., are you are just a kid pretending to be old so as to misrepresent fans who actually grew up and watched a lot of sports for a few dozen decades just to troll. Knowing the type of posters ISH attracts, I'm very inclined to believe the latter.

So tell us a little bit about yourself, if you don't mind. So we can all better understand how you've come to believe that sports teams and athletes perform on what is basically a linear curve of improvement. Something no genuinely older/wiser individual that has watched decades of sports that I've ever talked to in person, has ever expressed. True students of the sports tend to point out things people overlook. You never do, you always say broad sweeping generalizations that strictly adhere to the ignorantly simple "newer=better" formula. Older sports heads I've met don't talk like how you talk, they don't believe what you believe. So please, tell us why you are so different.

What plays would Seattle run? Anything they want. They could run for 15 to 20 yards a carry or pass the crap out of the slower, smaller, non weight lifting. way to small Green Bay defense.. They would score everytime they touched the ball and Green bay would have no chance of ever scoring with their 245 pound offensive line. Its a total mismatch..There are high school teams that are bigger and faster then the 1968 Packers. Laughable to ask what rules are used..My God...