PDA

View Full Version : Is it acceptable to wear a knit cap while applying for a job?

hateraid
10-18-2014, 06:26 PM
I might be out of touch, but I was in a store and a girl walked in wearing a knit cap dropping off a resume. Is that acceptable? I had a conversation about this with my little sister and she thinks it's fine if it fits the store. I say it lacks professionalism on any level, whether the applicant or the establishment

Looked like this:

http://www.favecrafts.com/master_images/Knitting/Soft%20Cable%20Knit%20Hat.jpg

Thoughts?

navy
10-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Yes. There is nothing wrong with that.

MavsSuperFan
10-18-2014, 06:27 PM
I might be out of touch, but I was in a store and a girl walked in wearing a knit cap dropping off a resume. Is that acceptable? I had a conversation about this with my little sister and she thinks it's fine if it fits the store. I say it lacks professionalism on any level, whether the applicant or the establishment

Looked like this:

http://www.favecrafts.com/master_images/Knitting/Soft%20Cable%20Knit%20Hat.jpg

Thoughts?
For a store, sure
if she got an interview for a law firm, no

CavaliersFTW
10-18-2014, 06:29 PM
At a store as in, a retail store?

Just dropping off a resume/application?

Perfectly acceptable. Dress a little nicer for the actual interview of course... but just dropping the resume/application off is not even a significant event, particularly if it's just a store.

hateraid
10-18-2014, 06:33 PM
It was a clothing retail store.

I was always taught in school that wearing head wear while applying for jobs was unprofessional. I worked as a manager at the Guess Store and I never looked at a resume with that presentation. Times have changed.

DeuceWallaces
10-18-2014, 06:53 PM
It was a clothing retail store.

I was always taught in school that wearing head wear while applying for jobs was unprofessional. I worked as a manager at the Guess Store and I never looked at a resume with that presentation. Times have changed.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume your teachers didn't have a cashier at The Gap in mind.

MadeFromDust
10-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Nope.

9erempiree
10-18-2014, 07:24 PM
It's her religion though.

http://www.darcypattison.com/notes/wp-content/uploads//hajib.jpg

hateraid
10-18-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume your teachers didn't have a cashier at The Gap in mind.
Actually all jobs

hateraid
10-18-2014, 08:14 PM
So you think you need to dress up to drop off a piece of paper? As long as you don't look like a homeless person you're fine.

Interview, no way.

You don't have to be formal, just presentable. Head wear to me says not making a conscious effort

nathanjizzle
10-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Hateraid is out of touch with reality

joe
10-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Ew restrictive judgmental traditionalist mindset

BrooklynZoo
10-18-2014, 08:54 PM
to drop off a resume no problem. Also, being that its a clothing store, it can show that she is fashionable

MadeFromDust
10-18-2014, 08:56 PM
to drop off a resume no problem. Also, being that its a clothing store, it can show that she is fashionable
http://new2.fjcdn.com/comments/5252862+_8798a366f202a6b23394b4ee254d710b.jpg

DeuceWallaces
10-18-2014, 09:10 PM
You don't have to be formal, just presentable. Head wear to me says not making a conscious effort

Says to me that she's fashion conscious when applying to a clothing store.

Balla_Status
10-18-2014, 09:13 PM
If a manager takes her job that seriously at a goddamn clothing store, we got a more serious problem.

Who constructs a resume for a retail job anyways?

RidonKs
10-18-2014, 11:43 PM
i wear hats to both drop off resumes and to job interviews. not a baseball cap mind you. but a tuque or a knitted winter hat is nothing. i think i've worn a fedora to one or two lol. if its for a serious position, chances are your choice of headwear isn't going to be the deciding factor.

If a manager takes her job that seriously at a goddamn clothing store, we got a more serious problem.

Who constructs a resume for a retail job anyways?
ppl whose daddy didn't gift them a job in big oil?

jk bro i dun even kno what ur daddy did for a living

BigBoss
10-18-2014, 11:46 PM

Not making a conscious effort in life would be working in retail.

Balla_Status
10-18-2014, 11:54 PM
i wear hats to both drop off resumes and to job interviews. not a baseball cap mind you. but a tuque or a knitted winter hat is nothing. i think i've worn a fedora to one or two lol. if its for a serious position, chances are your choice of headwear isn't going to be the deciding factor.

To be fair, nobody should be really taking their job that seriously anyways. Lot more to life than bloody work. I don't take mine as seriously as I should. I'm focused on living a decent life not having the best career possible.

How'd those fedora interviews go? If I saw that and I was interviewing, I'd be like, "Dude has confidence" or "Who the hell is this guy? Jason Mraz?"

BrooklynZoo
10-18-2014, 11:57 PM

im guessing you didnt get those jobs?

dannywpt
10-19-2014, 03:35 PM
I don't see the issue, wouldn't even notice. Is she supposed to wear a dress and jewellery? That would be weird

RidonKs
10-19-2014, 03:46 PM
To be fair, nobody should be really taking their job that seriously anyways. Lot more to life than bloody work. I don't take mine as seriously as I should. I'm focused on living a decent life not having the best career possible.

How'd those fedora interviews go? If I saw that and I was interviewing, I'd be like, "Dude has confidence" or "Who the hell is this guy? Jason Mraz?"
good stuff man

i dont even remember, i just used to sport the fedora with some degree of frequency years back. not like those shitty popular fedoras with the thin stiff brim but like a real indiana jones style one. i've had so many bullshit part time jobs i honestly couldn't tell you which ones i got w/ the hat and which i didnt w/o and so on. but i feel like i must have gotten at least one.

i probably wouldn't wear one to an interview for a real full time career-ish position... but then again, if i did, i would not expect it to make a lick of difference. again for just about every position the interviewer is going to care a lot more about what you say and how you carry yourself than what you wear. a fedora is a far cry from like a clown suit or a toga. it's just a friggin hat. same thing with hateraids knitted cap.

i dunno i've never been an employer so maybe i'm full of sh!t here

I'd be like, "Dude has confidence" or "Who the hell is this guy? Jason Mraz?"
this says it all though right. same thing if a chick comes in with an incredibly low cut blouse. if she's ditzy and dumb and flaunting her breasts because nothing coming out of her mouth is worth squat so shes relying on whats coming out of her shirt... well chances are she wasn't going to get the job even if she was presentable (assuming its not a waitress position). but if she's confident and articulate and impressive, the interviewer will think "this chicks got it all.. AND she's not afraid to show off her assets"

same thing with a fedora i think. interpretation of the apparel/accessories will grow out of the interview itself, it is unlikely to shoot you in the foot unless its really extreme. knitted caps and fedoras are not very extreme, they're just unconventional.

i've definitely seen a few mraz wannabes tho and they tend to be just some of the worst ppl ever lol