PDA

View Full Version : In the 70's NBA players smoked cigarettes at half-time

ralph_i_el
10-20-2014, 07:37 PM
So I'm watching the Wizards-Pelicans pre season game in Baltimore. They were talking about how their used to be smoking allowed in the arena and.....

Phil Chenier (Member of the 1978 Washington Bullets championship squad and current commentator for the Wizards) just said that players used to smoke in the locker room during half-time. He called out Wes Unseld and Gus Johnson by name, plus a few other guys.

What should we think of this? Did they really take the game so lightly back then?

(In other news, Kevin Seraphin is still a ****ing bum. The dude is 260lbs of solid muscle and he refuses to take any contact ever. He always throws up these dumb ****ing hooks where he's fading away from the hoop and those never draw any fouls)

L.Kizzle
10-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Smoking was totally different back in the day. They used to smoke on the bench in the 50s. Also players used to take their guns with them. Marvin Barnes would have the metal under the bench.

also, they used to smoke in courtrooms. This was before the health craze of the 80s.

Kblaze8855
10-20-2014, 07:48 PM
My highschool had smoking areas outside the lunchroom for student or teacher use. By my time you couldnt smoke...but you could at one time.

ArbitraryWater
10-20-2014, 07:49 PM
I thought Silkk already made that clear? lel

Yea, was common..

ralph_i_el
10-20-2014, 07:58 PM
So wouldn't not smoking give you a huge advantage over a smoker? In terms of stamina and respiration and all that? Hard to ball when you're winded

SHAQisGOAT
10-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Yea, different times.

Ron Artest also said he used to drink Hennessy at half-time though, and this was not long ago. Allen Iverson dealt with an alcohol addiction, I don't know if still during his playing days though... Which reminds of Pete Maravich, dude was heavy drinking at some point while still in the NBA, and still playing over 38 min, dropping over 27 ppg, lmfao.

Speaking of Phil Chenier, he was a baller in his best days, seen him in some taped games, dude had them handles and a good jumper.

Smoking was totally different back in the day. They used to smoke on the bench in the 50s. Also players used to take their guns with them. Marvin Barnes would have the metal under the bench.

also, they used to smoke in courtrooms. This was before the health craze of the 80s.

Yup, airplanes too. Yes, got different at some point.

Not to mention that plenty of players screwed their careers/potential due to drugs, during those days.

MP.Trey
10-20-2014, 08:09 PM
So? Ron Artest drank Hennessey at Halftime.

SHAQisGOAT
10-20-2014, 08:11 PM
So wouldn't not smoking give you a huge advantage over a smoker? In terms of stamina and respiration and all that? Hard to ball when you're winded

In theory, yea... Still must've been plenty of times where a player who was a smoker (or even an alcoholic) was just out-balling another player who was not. Never know, not everybody is the same.

TheReal Kendall
10-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Yea that stuff just affects some people different.

I had a homie that would drink and get high before games and would kill it. Dude had one of the sweetest jumpers I've ever seen.

Artest drinking during games would explain some of his behavior.

outbreak
10-20-2014, 08:15 PM
I've seen it mentioned in more than a few documentary's that players in the 70s used to do coke in the half time breaks. That 30 for 30 film on the celtics draftee (not len bias think it was called unguardable or something) also said he used to do drugs before games since college. At one point he says he was waiting outside the celtics arena in uniform for his drug dealer because he couldn't play with out them. This was in the 90s.

Collie
10-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Still much much better than the coke during the 80's and early 90's.

buddha
10-20-2014, 08:17 PM
now they flop around the court like europeans.

TheReal Kendall
10-20-2014, 08:18 PM
A lot of NFL players used to do coke back then too. Hell everybody did coke back then.

SugarHill
10-20-2014, 08:21 PM
now they flop around the court like europeans.

The transition came with this man

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/UserFiles/Image/article_images/Basketball/41.%20Vlade%20Divac.jpg

combined both worlds

L.Kizzle
10-20-2014, 08:28 PM
A lot of NFL players used to do coke back then too. Hell everybody did coke back then.
Richard Pryor used to fux Pam Grier with cocain on his dick.

TheReal Kendall
10-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Richard Pryor used to fux Pam Grier with cocain on his dick.

Link? Please let it be an interview of him talking about this.

I love Pam Grier! That's my chick!

Smoke117
10-20-2014, 08:31 PM
http://www.mademan.com/mm/nba-players-smoke-cigarettes.html

ralph_i_el
10-20-2014, 08:33 PM
http://www.mademan.com/mm/nba-players-smoke-cigarettes.html

chuck smoked weed before games:applause: thats my dude

L.Kizzle
10-20-2014, 08:36 PM

It's in her book she released a few years ago.

TheReal Kendall
10-20-2014, 08:45 PM
It's in her book she released a few years ago.

:biggums: Wow! Why would she tell people that? I'm gonna have to check that out.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-20-2014, 08:46 PM
We had an alleyway to our high school that smelled like an ashtray every morning. :pimp:

L.Kizzle
10-20-2014, 08:47 PM

http://www.laughspin.com/2010/04/28/richard-pryors-ex-pam-grier-doc-found-residual-cocaine-in-my-******/

L.Kizzle
10-20-2014, 08:49 PM
:biggums: Wow! Why would she tell people that? I'm gonna have to check that out.
Who cares. Would you not fux Pam Grier because the greatest comic ever left a prize for you?

eliteballer
10-20-2014, 10:37 PM
http://www.laughspin.com/2010/04/28/richard-pryors-ex-pam-grier-doc-found-residual-cocaine-in-my-******/

From the same link:

[QUOTE]There

oarabbus
10-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Don't forget about Chris Herren. The guy was literally a FULL BLOWN alcoholic and coke addict when he dominated college, and literally a cokehead, oxy/heroin addict, AND alcoholic during his brief time in Boston.

One of the more interesting stories of the NBA. And one of the more degenerate ****ers to ever ball.

Dro
10-21-2014, 01:16 AM
You would think so but I have a good friend who I've been playing ball with for over 15 years...He's always smoked heavy cigarettes(Newports at that) and smokes plenty of weed. He always has a TON of energy...He's one of those scrappy guys like Patrick Beverly, really frustrate you on defense, plenty of hustle, never gets tired. He's a pretty thin dude though, probably about 5'10-5'11.....

MaxFly
10-21-2014, 01:38 AM
It's amazing the things that were permissible in the early days of the league.

fourkicks44
10-21-2014, 02:58 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1341476628_shawn-kemp.jpg

HiphopRelated
10-21-2014, 10:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad6fJy8aOuw

Not specifically Grier, but talks about using it during sex, starts at ~0:55