PDA

View Full Version : Raptors back-up center....

barkleynash
10-20-2014, 08:24 PM
I feel like Amir is the back-up center on this team. I still think he will start games, come out early and sub back in for val as the back up center.
Second unit, Vaz, Sweet lou, JJ, Patterson and Amir. I love that second unit. Great versatility with JJ and Patterson being interchangeable and then you can keep Amir inside defensively where he can excel as a help defender. I do not like Amir guarding stretch fours as his instinct is to help.

Jballer
10-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Maybe...

I don't think we have even half the puzzle yet.

Hayes .... last year of contract.

Bebe... groin injury but I would like to see him play. He has credibility from Spanish Euro league ball

Steisma .. non guaranteed contract.

I don't see Steisma sticking because big men are at a premium but lets see if one of the three is moved as the season starts.

In either case I would prefer Val to get 35 minutes and 15 shot attempts per game from the low post. 2 of the 3 can play off the bench.

Frankly I would rather see Amir / Patpat / Hansborough stick to the 4 spot and rotate through there.

barkleynash
10-21-2014, 09:50 PM
J-baller, what is your preferred second unit? Do you think the raps can survive with a ten man rotation with no starters playing on the second unit.

I think Handsbro, Patterson, jj, sweet lou and vaz could play together, but sweet lou would have to really score the ball. The reason I would like to see amir on that second unit is so that he can solidify the defence and be a pick and roll partner with Vaz. I think when the playoff rotation tightens up, Hands is probably going to only get spot duty at best.
With the league going small, JJ becomes more valuable, as does Amir as a small center. As well as two point guard line-ups.

Jballer
10-22-2014, 08:39 AM
J-baller, what is your preferred second unit? Do you think the raps can survive with a ten man rotation with no starters playing on the second unit.

I think Handsbro, Patterson, jj, sweet lou and vaz could play together, but sweet lou would have to really score the ball. The reason I would like to see amir on that second unit is so that he can solidify the defence and be a pick and roll partner with Vaz. I think when the playoff rotation tightens up, Hands is probably going to only get spot duty at best.
With the league going small, JJ becomes more valuable, as does Amir as a small center. As well as two point guard line-ups.

I dont think Casey (or Masai) have a "set second unit in mind". Given the depth of this team...

1) Gervais subs in for Demar at the 2 then flips over to spell Klow

2) Lou subs in for Gervais above then flips over to PG !

3) JJ subs in for Terrence Ross. Ross may spill back into 2 guard. JJ may sub in at the 4 if we play small ball with Demar/Ross/JJ.

4) Amir starts. Patterson comes in - but Amir may spell Val if Val is in foul trouble or may sit if ankle is an issue.

5) Hayes / Hansborough / Steisma (if he sticks) sub in at the 4/5 as all the 4/5 are interchangable except Val who will always play the 5 .... and PP who will "rarely play the 5 unless we intend to go small ball with JJ at the 4"

I actually do not think we will see this line up (often, for more than 1 minute of court time, etc) of :

Gervais
Lou
JJ
PP
<insert Hayes / Steisma / Amir / Hansborough>

Unless... there are no minutes to go and the lead is insurmountable. Injuries really decimate the starting 5... etc

I think Casey style is rotation substitution and I think the egos on the bench will allow this.