PDA

View Full Version : was nash a better 3 poont shooter then steph curry

NZStreetBaller
10-24-2014, 07:53 AM
In his prime.... I mean steph is known for his 3 point shot but he has alot of volume and steve was a pass first guy

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Steph is the best 3pt shooter in history. His 2013 season blows any season away and even 2014 beats almost all

Steph is also a better overall player now than Nash ever was

Inactive
10-24-2014, 08:27 AM
He wasn't better than Curry, but he's one of the best shooters ever.

Nash had several seasons shooting 44%-47%, on 4-5 3PA. Curry has averaged 44%, on 6 3PA for his career.

Nash was great at shooting 3s off the dribble, but he didn't do it when closely contested the way that Curry does; probably because he didn't have Curry's lightning quick release.

joe
10-24-2014, 08:36 AM
When did shot selection stop being part of the criteria for judging a shooter? Nash was better. He did not take fadeaways 3s with guys in his face. That's a good thing. If they are both open with the game on the line, great chance they both hit the shot.

kurple
10-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Steph is the best 3pt shooter in history. His 2013 season blows any season away and even 2014 beats almost all

only ray allen can be compared when it comes to 3pt shooting, but steph is not better than prime nash overall

T_L_P
10-24-2014, 08:42 AM
It's close considering shot selection and overall clutch play (I'd be tempted to say Nash has more clutch 3s). But it's Curry.

As a player Nash was definitely better. Curry has a great, great defense behind him and he's just a solo offensive piece. Not a great passer, not much of a ball sharer, doesn't maximise his teammates.

The Suns had to rely on offense, something Nash actually ran.

Inactive
10-24-2014, 08:43 AM
When did shot selection stop being part of the criteria for judging a shooter? Nash was better. He did not take fadeaways 3s with guys in his face. That's a good thing. If they are both open with the game on the line, great chance they both hit the shot.Curry shoots a higher percentage than Nash did, despite taking those 3s with guys in his face. Shots that would be bad, possibly even bench-worthy for any other player, are good shots for Curry. That's what makes him so impressive.

I agree that Nash was a better player in his prime than Curry is.

joe
10-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Curry shoots a higher percentage than Nash did, despite taking those 3s with guys in his face. Shots that would be bad, possibly even bench-worthy for any other player, are good shots for Curry. That's what makes him so impressive.

I agree that Nash was a better player in his prime than Curry is.

I do not want a player on my team who shoots those kinds of shots like Curry. It is exciting to watch, but it is bad basketball. He shoots a higher percentage in spite of those shots, which is really saying something. But in a tight playoff series against great defense, that is not going to cut it. And imagine the effect on his teammates. They get less touches so he can fade away from 25 feet. Bad basketball.

MP.Trey
10-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Nash was more efficient and had better shot selection but Curry's clearly the better overall shooter imo

theoneneo
10-24-2014, 09:26 AM

:biggums:

Did you watch Nash play?

Substitute Curry with Nash and those Suns teams struggle. Curry's a good player, a leader he aint.

masonanddixon
10-24-2014, 09:26 AM
Yeah Nash was a better shooter. Also much better off the dribble.

Not sure why anyone is mentioning Curry in the same breath as him.

Taller than CP3
10-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Curry is a scrub compared to prime Nash

It's hilarious how quickly people forget.

Jlamb47
10-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Prime Nash Shits on Curry but Curry only has 3pt shooting over Nash
Other then that Nash was a better offensive player 2 time MVP

elementally morale
10-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Curry is a better 3 point shooter than Nash ever was. Overall... a lot closer as far as pure shooting goes. However, basketball has more to it than shooting. Nash was a way better player than any version of Curry I've seen so far.

Bobcats2013
10-24-2014, 10:26 AM
No. As for all the comments saying Prime Nash is better than Curry, well that may be true but you gotta put in 2 factors. Curry is just now entering his prime and Nash had the D'antoni system.

moaz
10-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Maybe not in the future

Damian Lillard made 403 3-pointers in the last two seasons, the most by a player in the first two seasons of his career in NBA history.
-- ESPN Stats & Information (@ESPNStatsInfo)

stalkerforlife
10-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Nash is better than Curry is every aspect except defense.

Prime Nash, of course.

SugarHill
10-24-2014, 10:48 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

stalkerforlife
10-24-2014, 11:06 AM

:kobe:

navy
10-24-2014, 11:27 AM
It's close considering shot selection and overall clutch play (I'd be tempted to say Nash has more clutch 3s). But it's Curry.

As a player Nash was definitely better. Curry has a great, great defense behind him and he's just a solo offensive piece. Not a great passer, not much of a ball sharer, doesn't maximise his teammates.

The Suns had to rely on offense, something Nash actually ran.
:wtf:

:biggums:

Based on?

Genaro
10-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Curry is the better 3pt shooter, guy can light it up from anywhere anytime. Does he take bad shots? Well, yes because he can make those.
Nash had great percentages because he took great shoots, he had a great shoot selection but I don't think he would make those shots that Curry does.

Milbuck
10-24-2014, 01:01 PM
If Steph can put up 24/4/9/2 on 61% TS on a pretty weak offensive system while taking a ton of contested, high degree of difficulty shots...it's scary to think what kind of numbers he'd put up on those mid-2000s Suns teams. Steph is the best shooter ever, he just needs the longevity to make it official.

To anyone saying it isn't even close between prime Nash and current Steph :facepalm

ImKobe
10-24-2014, 01:08 PM
If Steph can put up 24/4/9/2 on 61% TS on a pretty weak offensive system while taking a ton of contested, high degree of difficulty shots...it's scary to think what kind of numbers he'd put up on those mid-2000s Suns teams. Steph is the best shooter ever, he just needs the longevity to make it official.

To anyone saying it isn't even close between prime Nash and current Steph :facepalm

child please.

j3lademaster
10-24-2014, 01:16 PM
I do not want a player on my team who shoots those kinds of shots like Curry. You do if that player is Curry. 44% from 3= 66% from 2.

Bigsmoke
10-24-2014, 01:17 PM
When did shot selection stop being part of the criteria for judging a shooter? Nash was better. He did not take fadeaways 3s with guys in his face. That's a good thing. If they are both open with the game on the line, great chance they both hit the shot.

Lol stop trying to change the question. Curry is a better shooter. Curry broke an NBA record of most 3 pointers made in a single season with Nash's efficiency and doing it in front of peoples grills and u here like "well... Nash can shoot open ones"

Inactive
10-24-2014, 01:18 PM
child please.How can you disagree with the bold?

GSW did have a terrible offensive system; they just have so much firepower that they were still able to score. I'm pretty sure every analyst, and most fans who watched any of their games agrees with that. Granted, that gave Curry a lot of freedom to run high p&r, and do whatever he wanted, so it might've helped his numbers more than it hurt them.

You don't think Curry takes difficult shots? Have you ever watched him play? He takes 8 3s a game, and it's not because teams leave him open. The only time he has space on a shot, is when it's a transition pull up, or he creates separation himself.

Smoke117
10-24-2014, 01:19 PM
The thing about Nash is that he was like a more aggressive Johnny Stockton...he doesn't take a lot of bad shots. He's probably not better considering the shots Curry takes while still shooting a high percentage. I remember people saying Nash was a better shooter than Ray Allen around the mid 00s...you have to take into account difficulty of shot.

Dro
10-24-2014, 01:20 PM
No.

moaz
10-24-2014, 01:21 PM
this discussion is becoming boring.

In 20 years Nash name will show up every time a player wins a back to back MVPs. The probability is extreme high that no one would remember Curry's name, even in the 3 point shooters category. Every 2-3 years there is a new "best 3 shooter in history" guy. Jason Kapono says hi.

20Four
10-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Confirmed 13 year old bitch:

http://i.minus.com/iceezx6ZUSKKN.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibr5NcPkobztp3.gif

Real14
10-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Curry better.

Milbuck
10-24-2014, 01:50 PM
child please.
None of what you bolded is really debatable if you watched one Warriors game last year.

joe
10-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Lol stop trying to change the question. Curry is a better shooter. Curry broke an NBA record of most 3 pointers made in a single season with Nash's efficiency and doing it in front of peoples grills and u here like "well... Nash can shoot open ones"

I will take Nash's style and approach as a 3 point shooter over Curry's, no questions asked. Curry is obviously a ridiculous shooter. But I don't think that style of play is sustainable. I think Curry would be easier to shut down than Nash.

Milbuck
10-24-2014, 02:15 PM
I will take Nash's style and approach as a 3 point shooter over Curry's, no questions asked. Curry is obviously a ridiculous shooter. But I don't think that style of play is sustainable. I think Curry would be easier to shut down than Nash.
Except that he has sustained it :oldlol:

We're not talking about a week or month long shooting tear...this dude is setting records for 3s made on Nash-like efficiency...over entire seasons.

Nash has never in his career reached 180 3s in a season...Steph just hit 261 on 42% 3PT shooting this year and 272 on 45% 3PT shooting the year prior...all while taking visibly tougher shots. You can have your own opinion but Steph is statistically just a better long range shooter when you factor in volume to go along with efficiency, and degree of difficulty. Steph didn't have the luxury of playing on an elite offensive system that played to his strengths almost perfectly. And he's still putting up GOAT-level shooting seasons from long range.

steve
10-24-2014, 02:18 PM
The thing about Nash is that he was like a more aggressive Johnny Stockton...he doesn't take a lot of bad shots. He's probably not better considering the shots Curry takes while still shooting a high percentage. I remember people saying Nash was a better shooter than Ray Allen around the mid 00s...you have to take into account difficulty of shot.

The shots Curry takes are bad shots in a vacuum because you'd never what a player on average to take those shots but in Curry's hands they become good shots once you take into account Curry's release and shot mechanics (which are better than just about anyone currently playing and among the best ever).

Personally I think Curry is a better shooter than Nash. But really isn't it just splitting hairs? Their overall percentages are so close that you have to put them among the 10 or 15 greatest shooters ever without even blinking.

Nash couldn't quite take the same shots that Curry takes but then, those wouldn't be shots Nash would ever be taking (and I don't mean in terms of shot selection either, those kinds of shots would never materialize for Nash) and speaks volumes for how different they were as shooters. Very few players have Curry quick release nor do many shooters get into their shooting motion as quickly as Curry does (very few shooters across NBA history basically shoot on their way up the way that Curry does, so that when he reaches the peak of his jump shot, the ball is already coming out, this one of the things that made Ben Gordon such an effective shooter). This is why so many of Curry shots look like they're being contested but really have no chance of ever being blocked.

Nash didn't have that ability but at the same time, he was so much better at creating space for himself than Curry is able to. Okay, so I've been watching a lot of Nash highlights since I got home last night and one of the most strikes things that people rarely touch on is how good of a ball handler Nash was (it's one of those obvious things, which is why it probably doesn't get mentioned). But one of the aspects that he was so good at were quick little moves when he needed to get his shot off and distance himself from the defender. If he had a defender on him tight, it was difficult for him to get a good shot off (although he was phenomenal at fading away regardless of range) but he was adept creating space with a dribble and should feint that it didn't really matter where the defender was, he could get free long enough for him to release his shot.

It's so hard to determine who the better shooter was because it's largely subjective, especially if you go outside of hard numbers (and even then, a lot of that has to do with offense and role and so many other factors). I couldn't really argue with anyone who would take one over the other but it does frustrate me to no end when someone tries to be hyperbolic and state that it "isn't even close" between one of them because that is just pure ignorance.

Cold soul
10-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Curry is a better 3 point shooter than Nash ever was. Overall... a lot closer as far as pure shooting goes. However, basketball has more to it than shooting. Nash was a way better player than any version of Curry I've seen so far.

Agreed. Nash was way better player in his prime.

inclinerator
10-24-2014, 02:24 PM
curry is a better shooter, nash is better at open shots, maybe

Timmy D for MVP
10-24-2014, 02:31 PM
I think we need a bigger sample size:

But I see no reason why Curry won't end up the greatest 3pt. shooter of all time. He hits shots off the dribble that other guys struggle to hit catch and shooting. That's what sets him apart.

Cali Syndicate
10-24-2014, 02:41 PM
3 poont shooter? Curry

Pure shooter? Nash, slightly.

Scorer? Curry.

Playmaker, facilitator, court vision? Nash.

Passing ability? Nash.

Defender? Curry. Neither are really good man defenders by any means but curry does have quick hands which at least leads to steals.

Player? Nash. Curry is getting there though.

Le Shaqtus
10-24-2014, 02:45 PM
I don't think I've ever seen Nash miss a wide open 3.

BrownEye007
10-24-2014, 02:45 PM

:coleman: Steph is a better shooter than Nash ever was but Steve was a better player than Curry is or ever will be.

DoodleDa
10-24-2014, 05:56 PM

In 20 years Nash name will show up every time a player wins a back to back MVPs. The probability is extreme high that no one would remember Curry's name, even in the 3 point shooters category. Every 2-3 years there is a new "best 3 shooter in history" guy. Jason Kapono says hi.

Except Nash's name comes up for "who's the least deserving back to back MVP?"

Yup, Kapono definitely holds the all time single season three point record, is on pace to obliterate the all time three point record, and is an established Top 10 player in the league.

Oh wait.

On topic: Nash is the better overall player and PG, but Steph is the better scorer and shooter.

Dro
10-24-2014, 06:06 PM

We're not talking about a week or month long shooting tear...this dude is setting records for 3s made on Nash-like efficiency...over entire seasons.

Nash has never in his career reached 180 3s in a season...Steph just hit 261 on 42% 3PT shooting this year and 272 on 45% 3PT shooting the year prior...all while taking visibly tougher shots. You can have your own opinion but Steph is statistically just a better long range shooter when you factor in volume to go along with efficiency, and degree of difficulty. Steph didn't have the luxury of playing on an elite offensive system that played to his strengths almost perfectly. And he's still putting up GOAT-level shooting seasons from long range.
:applause:

oarabbus
10-24-2014, 06:19 PM
As a huge warriors fan and Steph homer, no, Curry is not better than MVP Nash. Nash getting severely underrated, one of the best PGs EVER. Steph can be in that category but he has a long ways to goo and some more winning to do.

But, Curry IS the greatest 3pt shooter the league has ever seen. EVER. BY FAR.

Ray Allen? Nash? not even close

http://i.imgur.com/IRJtHeV.png

joe
10-24-2014, 07:38 PM

We will see where that gets him as the best offensive player on a team. My guess is he will have to change his game big time to be on an actual contender.

Edit: This is not meant to say Curry is not an awesome player! Not at all. But to me, you are comparing him against one of the great wizards in the history of basketball. Curry is a bomber, he has incredible shooting skills, and he hits sickeningly tough shots. I just don't think that style of shooting is fit for the best player on a serious contender. It is comic book basketball. Looks great but at the end of the day, the Spurs, the Heat (or Cavaliers), the Clippers, the Thunder, the true contenders.. will not be defeated by someone hurling fade-away 3s. We will see what type of effect Kerr has on Curry's game.

SHAQisGOAT
10-24-2014, 07:39 PM
No... Better overall player though (as of right now).

HomieWeMajor
10-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Stephen Curry is the greatest shooter of all time.

SHAQisGOAT
10-24-2014, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Rondooooooooooo]Curry is a better volume shooter than nash, but thats about it. You guys need to remember that nash has more 50(fg%)

bizil
10-24-2014, 10:09 PM
I think I would give the edge to Steph because he really goes out of his way to exploit the 3ball. Even though Steph is a great passer and great ball handler, his shooting is the area where he's THE BEST IN THE WORLD!! Nash on the other hand for me is best known for his great passing and floor generalship BUT he's among the greatest shooters of all time too. Curry, Nash, and Mark Price are the best blends of great shooting, handles, and passing of all time at PG. They all do it differently, but for their eras, they OWNED that blend of skills!

But one thing to keep in mind with Nash is the fact the he really developed into an epic blend of great passing and scoring at the PG. I've heard many compare him to Stockton, but Nash has another gear in terms of taking over a game of scoring. Peak Nash combined great shooting and great slashing better than any PG of all time! Even in comparison to Curry, I think Nash was better at getting to rack and scoring.

PsychoBe
10-24-2014, 10:19 PM
by all advanced statistical measures steve nash is considered by many to be the greatest shooter of all time. if he had the volume of shots curry did then he'd get those averages too but he was too busy averaging 11+ assists a game in his back-to-back mvps and leading his teams to wcfs to worry about chucking shots at the volume curry did.

Milbuck
10-24-2014, 10:40 PM
by all advanced statistical measures steve nash is considered by many to be the greatest shooter of all time. if he had the volume of shots curry did then he'd get those averages too but he was too busy averaging 11+ assists a game in his back-to-back mvps and leading his teams to wcfs to worry about chucking shots at the volume curry did.
No he would not. No way. Steph the last couple seasons has averaged 24/8. He's not some shooting guard playing point, he's a legitimate playmaker out there..who just happens to be an insanely good shooter and scorer for his position.

The past couple seasons he's been shooting 44% from 3 on 8 attempts a game...Nash at his peak 3-4 seasons was shooting 45% from 3 on 4 attempts a game. There's just no way Nash sustains that efficiency when you double his volume. Steph is literally doubling the volume from 3PT land while matching him for efficiency.

I'm almost positive if you gave Steph a high-scoring offensive system with lots of ball movement and great spacing..instead of the iso-heavy offense he's been in for most of his career..he'd be approaching 47-49% from 3 regardless of volume.

He's just a different kind of shooter than we've seen. People are quick to bring down hype when it's about current players..but Steph really is a historically good shooter. It's in the numbers and on tape, stats and eye test.

sammichoffate
10-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Steph's ceiling is literally a better Nash at this point, which is GOAT PG potential right there. That's ****ing terrifying to think about :eek:

bigkingsfan
10-24-2014, 11:00 PM
One looking to pass to protect his stats, the other will shoot it with the clock winding down, do the math.

PsychoBe
10-24-2014, 11:14 PM
No he would not. No way. Steph the last couple seasons has averaged 24/8. He's not some shooting guard playing point, he's a legitimate playmaker out there..who just happens to be an insanely good shooter and scorer for his position.

The past couple seasons he's been shooting 44% from 3 on 8 attempts a game...Nash at his peak 3-4 seasons was shooting 45% from 3 on 4 attempts a game. There's just no way Nash sustains that efficiency when you double his volume. Steph is literally doubling the volume from 3PT land while matching him for efficiency.

I'm almost positive if you gave Steph a high-scoring offensive system with lots of ball movement and great spacing..instead of the iso-heavy offense he's been in for most of his career..he'd be approaching 47-49% from 3 regardless of volume.

He's just a different kind of shooter than we've seen. People are quick to bring down hype when it's about current players..but Steph really is a historically good shooter. It's in the numbers and on tape, stats and eye test.

i'm not discounting steph's greatness as a pure 3pt shooter anyways. but let's not get carried away here. by all advanced metrics steve nash is the greatest person to ever develop a jump shot. but what you have to understand is what made the suns so great was nash's passing, not his scoring. that was a bonus and he rarely looked to score ever. he'd rather go 0/25 than 25/0.

4 Inches
02-28-2016, 01:36 AM
Stephen Curry is the greatest shooter of all time.
Get this boy on the stand because he tells the truth :applause:

sd3035
02-28-2016, 01:52 AM
Curry is clearly the greatest shooter to have ever played in the NBA

Cold soul
02-28-2016, 01:53 AM
Curry is clearly the greatest shooter to have ever played in the NBA

Yup not close either.

FKAri
02-28-2016, 02:32 AM
Maybe there were guys who were better spot up shooters on wide open shots or in an empty gym

but as a complete shooter in terms of how quickly he can release, his accuracy, range, ability to create space, off a pick or off the dribble...he's EASILY the best I've seen.

JohnFreeman
02-28-2016, 02:33 AM
Who is better looking?

Nash looks great as an older guy, but Curry is handsome

Jacks3
02-28-2016, 02:36 AM

Damn. This dude called it. :applause:

JimmyMcAdocious
02-28-2016, 02:39 AM
Who is better looking?

Nash looks great as an older guy, but Curry is handsome

Nash makes the most of what he got (idk what else he could do to improve), but he ain't great looking.

JohnFreeman
02-28-2016, 02:40 AM
Nash makes the most of what he got (idk what else he could do to improve), but he ain't great looking.
I think the haircut is 10/10 on Nash

Someone knows what they are doing

GoSpursGo1984
02-28-2016, 03:29 AM
The people saying Nash must feel foolish now Curry is not only the better shooter he is the better overall player.

Nick Young
02-28-2016, 03:31 AM
only ray allen can be compared when it comes to 3pt shooting, but steph is not better than prime nash overall
Ray Allen? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get with the times grandpa. Even Curry's teammate Klay is a better shooter than Ray Ray.

Nick Young
02-28-2016, 03:32 AM
I do not want a player on my team who shoots those kinds of shots like Curry. It is exciting to watch, but it is bad basketball. He shoots a higher percentage in spite of those shots, which is really saying something. But in a tight playoff series against great defense, that is not going to cut it. And imagine the effect on his teammates. They get less touches so he can fade away from 25 feet. Bad basketball.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Nick Young
02-28-2016, 03:35 AM

goat prediction

jstern
02-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Hubert Davis. He was really good, especially when you considering that he never played the minutes to get into rhythm.