PDA

View Full Version : Demarcus Cousins or dwight howard?

Im Still Ballin
10-27-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm going to go with Boogie. He is the best offensive center since Ming. Dwights defence is a shell of what it was. Demarcus' defense is getting better every day.

STATUTORY
10-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Cousins and its not even close

RidonKs
10-27-2014, 07:11 PM
you're insane, howard proved he's still a monster in last years playoffs and will double down on that this season. cousins is a one way egomaniac prone to outbursts and subsequent pouting. he could mature but until then dwight howard takes the cake with room for seconds.

LBJ4MVP23
10-27-2014, 07:13 PM
I think it depends. As a number 1 option I would take Cousins right now, but if I had a solid number 1 Dwight is a better second option due to defense and scoring off offensive rebounds.

Im Still Ballin
10-27-2014, 07:14 PM
you're insane, howard proved he's still a monster in last years playoffs and will double down on that this season. cousins is a one way egomaniac prone to outbursts and subsequent pouting. he could mature but until then dwight howard takes the cake with room for seconds.

6 games against Portland...

Not a team known for its interior defense.

Smook A.
10-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Dwight, because of his impact on both sides of the court. His defense may not be as good as it used to be, but it's still really good. His offensive game isn't great, but he can get you 18-20+ points every night while shooting on a high percentage. DeMarcus plays amazing on the offensive end, and he's easily the best offensive center in the game right now, but the scoring gap between him & Dwight isn't even that big. DeMarcus is more skilled, yeah, but in the end the only thing that matters is if you can get the ball in the bucket.

To recap:
Offense: DeMarcus (Not by a huge margin)
Defense: Dwight
Rebounding: Dwight

Cousins and its not even close
LOL at the "not even close" bullshit. Learn some basketball you idiot.

KungFuJoe
10-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Cousins > Howard, by a substantial margin.

Cousins can score against anyone. His wide arsenal of offensive moves makes him difficult to shut down. His defense is getting better, too.

Howard is dominant against teams that lack interior defense, but he gets SHUT THE FVCK DOWN against teams with a big man who can box out.

Perkins owns his soul and that's all that really needs to be said about Howard.

Im Still Ballin
10-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Cousins can score against anyone. His wide arsenal of offensive moves makes him difficult to shut down. His defense is getting better, too.

Howard is dominant against teams that lack interior defense, but he gets SHUT THE FVCK DOWN against teams with a big man who can box out.

Exactly. You need versatility at the top. Cousins routinely dropped big numbers on good defensive teams. He dropped 30+ on Hibbert back when he was averaging 5 blocks a game and the pacers were dominating the league.

Smook A.
10-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Oh really? He struggled against Marc Gasol, Andrew Bogut, Kendrick Perkins, and Marcin Gortat last season. Go check his stats when he faced those guys.

The only guys Dwight struggled against last season were Perkins, and Marc Gasol. He also had a bad game the first time he faced the Knicks last season when he was defended by Chandler/Bargnani but that's really it. You make it sound like he got shut down by half of the league's starting centers.

And like I already said, just because Cousins is a great scorer does not mean he's a better overall player than Dwight. Dwight is still a way better defender than Cousins and rebounds better than him. I also said that in the end the only thing that matters is if the player can get points while shooting respectively well from the field. Dwight does that. He averaged 18 on 59% shooting last season. DeMarcus Cousins... 23 on 50%. The gap between DH and DMC isn't that large though.

KungFuJoe
10-27-2014, 07:51 PM
It's not just the stats. Howard really seems to disrupt the flow of the offense at times, whereas the offense actually flows through Cousins.

Howard also commits some really horrible turnovers when he gets the ball down low. Travels, gets stripped, gets called for charges. His only real way to score is to post up since he seems to not like he PnR.

Harden also freezes him out at the end of games and his lack of free throw shooting makes him a liability.

To me, Howard seems like a guy that gets his at the expense of the offense, if that makes sense. It seemed as if the team won or lost regardless of how well he did. The Portland series was a good example. He was absolutely dominant, yet they lost the series.

Granted, I haven't watched Cousins as much as I've watched Howard, but whenever I see him, it seemed liked the team did well when he did well...and even when he wasn't scoring, he was moving the ball from the high post well. When Howard gets the ball in the post, you ain't never getting it back.

Sportal
10-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Cousins' offense and Dwights defence.

So... Embiid in a few seasons?

dubeta
10-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Another solid thread from OP :applause:

I'd go with Boogie as well

Jameerthefear
10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Cousins is pretty much shit against any real competition, so Howard.

RonSwanson
10-27-2014, 08:20 PM

This has been proven false and false again over the past 3 years. GTFO

MUGEN
10-27-2014, 08:21 PM
I would take Dwight

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Dwight, because of his impact on both sides of the court. His defense may not be as good as it used to be, but it's still really good. His offensive game isn't great, but he can get you 18-20+ points every night while shooting on a high percentage. DeMarcus plays amazing on the offensive end, and he's easily the best offensive center in the game right now, but the scoring gap between him & Dwight isn't even that big. DeMarcus is more skilled, yeah, but in the end the only thing that matters is if you can get the ball in the bucket.

To recap:
Offense: DeMarcus (Not by a huge margin)
Defense: Dwight
Rebounding: Dwight

LOL at the "not even close" bullshit. Learn some basketball you idiot.
Rebounding is a part of offense and defense
LOL @ listing it in a separate category just to hype Dwight:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

oarabbus
10-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Dwight is overall the better player. That could easily change this year though.

DeMarcus has the potential to be the best C in the league and is only 24.

Smook A.
10-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Defense is a part of offense and defense
LOL @ listing it in a separate category just to hype Dwight:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:
Probably one of the dumbest comments I have ever read. Offense and defense are two seperate categories you moron :oldlol:

Jameerthefear
10-27-2014, 08:26 PM
This has been proven false and false again over the past 3 years. GTFO
Oh stop your bullshit. It's true.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Probably one of the dumbest comments I have ever read. Offense and defense are two seperate categories you moron :oldlol:
I edited before u posted...........i meant rebounding is a part of offense and defense
theres offensive rebounding and defensive rebounding. Besides protecting the paint defensive rebounding is the biggest reason Dwight is heralded for his defense. Its retarded to list rebounding as a separate category

Smook A.
10-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Rebounding is a part of offense and defense
LOL @ listing it in a separate category just to hype Dwight:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: What the hell does being a good offensive player or defender have to do with how hell you rebound? A healthy Brook Lopez is a great offensive player but can't rebound to save his life. Roy Hibbert can't score for crap and really only plays good defense. Look at his rebounding numbers. At the end of the day, Dwight is a better rebounder and that category should seperate from offense and defense.

RonSwanson
10-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Oh stop your bullshit. It's true.

Oh really? Why don't you enlighten us...I have yet to hear of a single trouble Boogie has caused in the locker-room in quite awhile. Being too passionate about winning? Oh no what an awful person, he obviously has a bad attitude. Pssh that's weak as hell

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-27-2014, 08:34 PM
What the hell does being a good offensive player or defender have to do with how hell you rebound? A healthy Brook Lopez is a great offensive player but can't rebound to save his life. Roy Hibbert can't score for crap and really only plays good defense. Look at his rebounding numbers. At the end of the day, Dwight is a better rebounder and that category should seperate from offense and defense.
An offensive rebound gets you more possessions to score which means more opportunities for points and higher offense...........

A defensive rebound ends the other teams offensive possession and begins yours.........

how in the hell are they not related to offense and defense ya dummy:roll: :roll: :roll: every facet of basketball (foul drawing, handles, shooting, pick and roll D and O etc etc) can be categorized as offense or defense..........theres no 2rd category ITS JUST THOSE TWO

Smoke117
10-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Howard is a better player, period. People can hate on him all they want... but that didn't change this past season. That he is the best center in the league is a fairly rudimentary discussion. He hasn't even been seriously challenged yet.

Smook A.
10-27-2014, 08:36 PM
An offensive rebound gets you more possessions to score which means more opportunities for points and higher offense...........

A defensive rebound ends the other teams offensive possession and begins yours.........

how in the hell are they not related to offense and defense ya dummy:roll: :roll: :roll: every facet of basketball (foul drawing, handles, shooting, pick and roll D and O etc etc) can be categorized as offense or defense..........theres no 2rd category ITS JUST THOSE TWO
I never said rebounding wasn't related to offense and defense. I just said you don't have to be a good offensive player/defense player to be a good rebounder. Lol try reading more carefully next time.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-27-2014, 08:37 PM
I never said rebounding wasn't related to offense and defense. I just said you don't have to be a good offensive player/defense player to be a good rebounder. Lol try reading more carefully next time.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youre such an idiot omg:roll:

Smook A.
10-27-2014, 08:46 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youre such an idiot omg:roll:
I'm the idiot? Lol. Look in the mirror, kid. Do you really have to be a good offensive/defensive player to be a good rebounder? Offensive rebounding has nothing to do with being a good scorer. You simply do the same thing when your team is on the defensive side of the court. Box out your man, jump up and grab the ball. Sounds easy but it takes skill. You can't be a good rebounder without having skill.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-27-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm the idiot? Lol. Look in the mirror, kid. Do you really have to be a good offensive/defensive player to be a good rebounder? Offensive rebounding has nothing to do with being a good scorer. You simply do the same thing when your team is on the defensive side of the court. Box out your man, jump up and grab the ball. Sounds easy but it takes skill. You can't be a good rebounder without having skill.
It takes skill to play pickandroll too...........defending it and running it........that doesnt mean u put it in different categories. a player can be a bad pickandroll player and still be good offensively (Melo) . A player can have bad pickandroll defense (Duncan) and still be great defensively..............Separating them as a different category is retarded. Basketball is offense VS defense THATS IT. Its not offense, defense and rebounding:facepalm :facepalm

Mr Exlax
10-27-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm gonna go with Dwight Howard. Boogie has a better offensive game, but Dwight blows him away in everything else. Even then, Dwight is still able to score at a good clip. It just doesn't look as good as Boogie, but it's still effective. He draws a double team so that automatically means he doesn't suck.

inclinerator
10-27-2014, 08:55 PM
dwight freaking howard

Im Still Ballin
10-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Bookmarked.

So many people are going to look like fools soon.

Smook A.
10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
It takes skill to play pickandroll too...........defending it and running it........that doesnt mean u put it in different categories. a player can be a bad pickandroll player and still be good offensively (Melo) . A player can have bad pickandroll defense (Duncan) and still be great defensively..............Separating them as a different category is retarded. Basketball is offense VS defense THATS IT. Its not offense, defense and rebounding:facepalm :facepalm
Yeah, basketball is only offense vs offense. You're right about that part but there are things that are recorded in those two categories. Passing the ball is part of offense, but I wouldn't call someone a good offensive player just because he passes the rock well. For example, look at Rubio. Terrible offensive game, but he's a really good playmaker. There are some categories that can be seperated. Bigs have to be good rebounders, and defenders. You're obviously gonna look at how many blocks and boards he averages a game. Look at guards... they gotta be good passers. That's their job. I'm not gonna say a PG who averages 20/5 is better than the one that averages 15/10. Sometimes you just gotta look at certain categories to determine who the better player is, and that's what I was doing with Howard and Cousins. Look at some of the best centers ever. They were all great rebounders.