PDA

View Full Version : Dominique Wilkins vs Scottie Pippen. Who was the better player?

Round Mound
10-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Lets see.

bizil
10-28-2014, 12:12 AM
One of my favorite basketball arguments! I think it's because they were totally different kinds of SF's. Pip was the ultimate point forward and all around threat who was a freak athlete. Nique was the ultimate alpha dog but also a freak athlete. GOAT wise, I think u could go either way. But peak wise, give me Nique! Simply too dominant of a force and also a great rebounder. Nique could put the fear in a defense in a manner that Pip never could. U compare Nique to guys like MJ, Bird, Magic, Isiah, and King in that era. That's the level he was on. And if u don't believe me, look up what those legends ALL SAID ABOUT NIQUE!

And sure Pip was an epic all around player. But Bird, Bron, Magic, MJ, Kobe, Wade, Big O, West, etc. were epic all around players AND alpha dogs all in one. Which is something Pip never could get done.

GrapeApe
10-28-2014, 12:35 AM
Give me Pippen. Nique was an incredible scorer but he was also one of the biggest black holes in NBA history and a below average defender.

the mesiah
10-28-2014, 01:11 AM
1st pick and HAD to pick either one of the 2, give me human highlight film even tho pip was the better player to answer the question cuz of the overallness of pip's game.need buckets I'll take #21

Round Mound
10-28-2014, 01:29 AM
Hard to decide for me

SHAQisGOAT
10-28-2014, 01:33 AM
If I need a great 1st option: Wilkins
Any other situation: Pippen

Got Scottie higher on my all-time list but I'd pick Nique as far as peaks, like I've said before, if I didn't already have a great 1st option.

Pip was obviously the better defensive player, better and more willing passer/playmaker that could play point forward, and he was a legit 20 PPG scorer... Hard to beat that when you need a great 2nd option, but Dominique was just flat-out a better scorer, Pip simply wasn't as overall good/as skilled when it came to that, plus Wilkins also had that alpha dog mentality that Scottie couldn't mess with, and he came through in the clutch, just got buckets at a rate that Pippen wasn't that close to.
They were both athletic freaks, and as far as rebounding it's a wash.

People sometimes forget that Nique was once 2nd in MVP voting, in a league with such players as Bird, Magic, Jordan (injured that season though), Isiah, Kareem, Hakeem, Barkley, Moses, English, Dantley... He almost led the Hawks to the 1988 ECF, if it wasn't for Bird in his last prime hurrah (in that amazing duel)... And he came back after an achilles tear, still playing some terrific basketball.
Gets underrated plenty.

bizil
10-28-2014, 02:20 AM
If I need a great 1st option: Wilkins
Any other situation: Pippen

Got Scottie higher on my all-time list but I'd pick Nique as far as peaks, like I've said before, if I didn't already have a great 1st option.

Pip was obviously the better defensive player, better and more willing passer/playmaker that could play point forward, and he was a legit 20 PPG scorer... Hard to beat that when you need a great 2nd option, but Dominique was just flat-out a better scorer, Pip simply wasn't as overall good/as skilled when it came to that, plus Wilkins also had that alpha dog mentality that Scottie couldn't mess with, and he came through in the clutch, just got buckets at a rate that Pippen wasn't that close to.
They were both athletic freaks, and as far as rebounding it's a wash.

People sometimes forget that Nique was once 2nd in MVP voting, in a league with such players as Bird, Magic, Jordan (injured that season though), Isiah, Kareem, Hakeem, Barkley, Moses, English, Dantley... He almost led the Hawks to the 1988 ECF, if it wasn't for Bird in his last prime hurrah (in that amazing duel)... And he came back after an achilles tear, still playing some terrific basketball.
Gets underrated plenty.

Well said! For whatever reason, Nique doesn't seem to get love that Baylor or Doc got in their eras as a whole. But when u step back and look at it, Nique's scoring skillset was more well rounded by either one of them. Nique was EVERY BIT the dominant scorer they were. I would go so far to say that Nique is the MOST PHYSICALLY DOMINANT scoring SF of all time! Even a bit more than Lebron in my book cause Nique is score first and seemed to force his will more than Lebron in that sense. So in general, Lebron is the most physically dominant SF. In terms of STRICTLY SCORING, I think Nique is the most physically dominant SF ever.

Round Mound
10-28-2014, 02:25 AM
Nique is definetly underrated. Him, Gilmore and McAdoo might have deserved being in the Top 50 over other players.