PDA

View Full Version : Espn Insider Request

SourGrapes
10-28-2014, 04:50 PM
thanks a lot. i need all the fantasy help i can get

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/basketball/story/_/id/11777765/key-position-battles-rotation-changes-watch-fantasy-basketball

Dro
10-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Would be interested in seeing this also if anybody can help...

Hey Yo
10-28-2014, 04:59 PM
If your nights have looked anything like mine over the past few weeks, they have been filled with mock drafts and real fantasy drafts followed by more mock drafts and real fantasy drafts.

Now that the start of the NBA season is here, with three games tipping off Tuesday night, all of that is finally over. And if your significant other is anything like mine, a sense of relief has come over the house.

"Don't worry, no more drafts until fantasy baseball in March," I assured my wife.

What she astutely pointed out, though, is that this is only the beginning. And she's right ... as usual.

Winning in fantasy basketball requires more than a strong draft; it takes six or seven months of making good lineup decisions, overcoming injuries and, maybe most importantly, finding undervalued talent that can help along the way.

It's that last part that is the most fun, if you ask me, and one of the best ways to locate the next under-owned, high-impact fantasy stud is to take a look around the league at the big position battles. The reason is simple: Players who are insignificant backups one day can vault into prominence a game later with one change to the rotation, much like Kendall Marshall did after being signed by the Los Angeles Lakers last season.

Where are some of these situations as we get set to enter a new season? Here's a look at some of the ones I'll be keeping an eye on, and you can follow me on Twitter for more daily updates at @joekaisersports.

Key position battles and rotation changes
Utah Jazz: PF/C
Player to watch out for: Rudy Gobert (1 percent ownership in ESPN leagues)

Enes Kanter begins the season as the starting power forward, but his pairing with Derrick Favors was a complete failure last season, and the Jazz can ill afford another wasted season trying to make a Kanter-Favors frontcourt work. If that proves to be akin to fitting a square peg into a round hole again early this season, the easy answer for Utah's first-year head coach, Quin Snyder, is to turn to Gobert, the 7-foot-1 center taken in the first round in 2013. The 22-year-old looked vastly improved over the summer and had several big preseason performances, including a 22-rebound effort. He'd likely play the 5 with Favors shifting back to the 4 if a change is made, and is a potential force in terms of rebounds and blocks.

Orlando Magic: SG
Players to watch out for: Evan Fournier (0.2 percent ownership), Moe Harkless (0.2 percent ownership), Ben Gordon (0.2 percent ownership), Aaron Gordon (5.1 percent ownership)

Victor Oladipo's facial injury is expected to keep him out of the Magic lineup for the first month of the season, and thanks to the offseason trade of Arron Afflalo, the Magic aren't exactly deep with proven commodities at the 2-guard spot. They do have Fournier, though, the guy who came over in the Afflalo deal with Denver, as well as jump-shooting veteran Ben Gordon. That being said, Fournier is mostly just a scorer who can get hot from 3 on occasion, but offers little else in fantasy, while the 31-year-old Gordon is coming off his worst campaign as a pro (5.2 points in 14.7 minutes per game). Harkless could also see an uptick in minutes, whether he starts at the 3 alongside Fournier/Gordon or gets time at the 2 if Orlando coach Jacque Vaughn goes to Gordon, the versatile lottery pick, at the 3.

Portland Trail Blazers: C
Player to watch out for: Chris Kaman (0.4 percent ownership)

Kaman was used inconsistently in Mike D'Antoni's system with the Lakers last season, much to the 32-year-old's dismay. But expect him to play more of a reliable, consistent role with the Blazers as he backs up the starter, Robin Lopez, and provides Portland with a much-needed scoring big man off the bench this season. Lopez is owned in 100 percent of ESPN leagues after averaging 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game a season ago, but look for those numbers to fall now that the team has the luxury of a proven veteran backup like Kaman, who averaged 10.6 points, 6.8 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in just 19 minutes per game in the team's final five preseason contests. There is also a chance that Kaman could come in to spell LaMarcus Aldridge at the 4 and play alongside Lopez, given the team's lack of depth at power forward. ESPN Insider Kevin Pelton projects Kaman to average 15.0 minutes, 7.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 0.7 blocks per game this season, but if thrust into a bigger role for whatever reason, these numbers would shoot north in a hurry.

Milwaukee Bucks: SG/SF/PF
Players to watch out for: Khris Middleton (62.2 percent ownership), Jabari Parker (100 percent ownership), Ersan Ilyasova (17.4 percent ownership), O.J. Mayo (4.2 percent ownership), Giannis Antetokounmpo (100 percent ownership)

Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel pointed out last week that aside from Brandon Knight starting at point guard and Larry Sanders getting the nod at center, there are few certainties with the Bucks' starting lineup as we head into the season. Parker will start, the question is whether it will be at the 3 or the 4, and that will have a direct impact on the others in the mix. Gardner writes that Parker looks more natural at power forward, and if that's where he ends up it will likely move Ilyasova to the bench. It will also free up the two wing positions for two of the three others. The question, then, would become if first-year Bucks coach Jason Kidd opts for the versatility of Middleton, the shooting and re-energized play of Mayo or the promise and length of the "Greek Freak." Divvying out minutes in that rotation has the potential to be quite a tall task all season long for Kidd.

More on Jabari Parker

We mentioned above that Parker is virtually assured a spot in Milwaukee's starting lineup heading into the season, which is a lot more than can be said for most of the top picks from the 2013 draft.

Only one -- Oladipo -- began his rookie campaign as a starter, while the four others drafted in the top five (Anthony Bennett, Otto Porter, Cody Zeller and Alex Len) all suffered through long, disappointing opening seasons in the NBA.

This season, Parker (48.9 ADP in ESPN leagues) has been the first rookie off the board in virtually all standard fantasy drafts, with Andrew Wiggins (63.3 ADP) going a round or two later, and the sentiment around the league continues to be that Parker is the overwhelming favorite for Rookie of the Year in 2014-15.

Perhaps the only thing that could hold back a player like Parker with such a mature pro's game is injury, and if you watched any Bucks games this preseason, it's apparent that the 19-year-old still has a ways to go with his conditioning and overall fitness level.

How much should fantasy owners be worried about this? I asked noted NBA trainer and ESPN Insider David Thorpe to get his take.

"My concern is his weight, of course, and the deleterious effect that has on his lower extremities," Thorpe said of the 6-8, 240-pound forward. "But that is more of a long-term problem, typically. I don't think he'll have trouble keeping up all season -- he is used to playing almost every day anyway. They'd be smart to help him lose 40 pounds, though."

If Parker is able to steer clear of injuries, a trend many on the Bucks were unable to avoid a season ago, his primary fantasy value is that of a scorer who can rebound and shoot the 3-ball. In fact, Pelton projects him to average 14.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and 0.8 made 3s per game, while having minimal contributions in most other areas such as assists (1.4), steals (0.9) and blocks (0.7).

"Parker is ready -- and in the right situation -- to make an impact on the offensive end," ESPN Insider Jeff Goodman said. "The Bucks have obviously invested a ton in him, and he's prepared on that end after being the focal point at Duke as a freshman last season. He has a variety of ways to score, but the key for him is taking higher-percentage shots. "

Dro
10-28-2014, 05:00 PM
If your nights have looked anything like mine over the past few weeks, they have been filled with mock drafts and real fantasy drafts followed by more mock drafts and real fantasy drafts.

Now that the start of the NBA season is here, with three games tipping off Tuesday night, all of that is finally over. And if your significant other is anything like mine, a sense of relief has come over the house.

"Don't worry, no more drafts until fantasy baseball in March," I assured my wife.

What she astutely pointed out, though, is that this is only the beginning. And she's right ... as usual.

Winning in fantasy basketball requires more than a strong draft; it takes six or seven months of making good lineup decisions, overcoming injuries and, maybe most importantly, finding undervalued talent that can help along the way.

It's that last part that is the most fun, if you ask me, and one of the best ways to locate the next under-owned, high-impact fantasy stud is to take a look around the league at the big position battles. The reason is simple: Players who are insignificant backups one day can vault into prominence a game later with one change to the rotation, much like Kendall Marshall did after being signed by the Los Angeles Lakers last season.

Where are some of these situations as we get set to enter a new season? Here's a look at some of the ones I'll be keeping an eye on, and you can follow me on Twitter for more daily updates at @joekaisersports.

Key position battles and rotation changes
Utah Jazz: PF/C
Player to watch out for: Rudy Gobert (1 percent ownership in ESPN leagues)

Enes Kanter begins the season as the starting power forward, but his pairing with Derrick Favors was a complete failure last season, and the Jazz can ill afford another wasted season trying to make a Kanter-Favors frontcourt work. If that proves to be akin to fitting a square peg into a round hole again early this season, the easy answer for Utah's first-year head coach, Quin Snyder, is to turn to Gobert, the 7-foot-1 center taken in the first round in 2013. The 22-year-old looked vastly improved over the summer and had several big preseason performances, including a 22-rebound effort. He'd likely play the 5 with Favors shifting back to the 4 if a change is made, and is a potential force in terms of rebounds and blocks.

Orlando Magic: SG
Players to watch out for: Evan Fournier (0.2 percent ownership), Moe Harkless (0.2 percent ownership), Ben Gordon (0.2 percent ownership), Aaron Gordon (5.1 percent ownership)

Victor Oladipo's facial injury is expected to keep him out of the Magic lineup for the first month of the season, and thanks to the offseason trade of Arron Afflalo, the Magic aren't exactly deep with proven commodities at the 2-guard spot. They do have Fournier, though, the guy who came over in the Afflalo deal with Denver, as well as jump-shooting veteran Ben Gordon. That being said, Fournier is mostly just a scorer who can get hot from 3 on occasion, but offers little else in fantasy, while the 31-year-old Gordon is coming off his worst campaign as a pro (5.2 points in 14.7 minutes per game). Harkless could also see an uptick in minutes, whether he starts at the 3 alongside Fournier/Gordon or gets time at the 2 if Orlando coach Jacque Vaughn goes to Gordon, the versatile lottery pick, at the 3.

Portland Trail Blazers: C
Player to watch out for: Chris Kaman (0.4 percent ownership)

Kaman was used inconsistently in Mike D'Antoni's system with the Lakers last season, much to the 32-year-old's dismay. But expect him to play more of a reliable, consistent role with the Blazers as he backs up the starter, Robin Lopez, and provides Portland with a much-needed scoring big man off the bench this season. Lopez is owned in 100 percent of ESPN leagues after averaging 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game a season ago, but look for those numbers to fall now that the team has the luxury of a proven veteran backup like Kaman, who averaged 10.6 points, 6.8 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in just 19 minutes per game in the team's final five preseason contests. There is also a chance that Kaman could come in to spell LaMarcus Aldridge at the 4 and play alongside Lopez, given the team's lack of depth at power forward. ESPN Insider Kevin Pelton projects Kaman to average 15.0 minutes, 7.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 0.7 blocks per game this season, but if thrust into a bigger role for whatever reason, these numbers would shoot north in a hurry.

Milwaukee Bucks: SG/SF/PF
Players to watch out for: Khris Middleton (62.2 percent ownership), Jabari Parker (100 percent ownership), Ersan Ilyasova (17.4 percent ownership), O.J. Mayo (4.2 percent ownership), Giannis Antetokounmpo (100 percent ownership)

Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel pointed out last week that aside from Brandon Knight starting at point guard and Larry Sanders getting the nod at center, there are few certainties with the Bucks' starting lineup as we head into the season. Parker will start, the question is whether it will be at the 3 or the 4, and that will have a direct impact on the others in the mix. Gardner writes that Parker looks more natural at power forward, and if that's where he ends up it will likely move Ilyasova to the bench. It will also free up the two wing positions for two of the three others. The question, then, would become if first-year Bucks coach Jason Kidd opts for the versatility of Middleton, the shooting and re-energized play of Mayo or the promise and length of the "Greek Freak." Divvying out minutes in that rotation has the potential to be quite a tall task all season long for Kidd.

More on Jabari Parker

We mentioned above that Parker is virtually assured a spot in Milwaukee's starting lineup heading into the season, which is a lot more than can be said for most of the top picks from the 2013 draft.

Only one -- Oladipo -- began his rookie campaign as a starter, while the four others drafted in the top five (Anthony Bennett, Otto Porter, Cody Zeller and Alex Len) all suffered through long, disappointing opening seasons in the NBA.

This season, Parker (48.9 ADP in ESPN leagues) has been the first rookie off the board in virtually all standard fantasy drafts, with Andrew Wiggins (63.3 ADP) going a round or two later, and the sentiment around the league continues to be that Parker is the overwhelming favorite for Rookie of the Year in 2014-15.

Perhaps the only thing that could hold back a player like Parker with such a mature pro's game is injury, and if you watched any Bucks games this preseason, it's apparent that the 19-year-old still has a ways to go with his conditioning and overall fitness level.

How much should fantasy owners be worried about this? I asked noted NBA trainer and ESPN Insider David Thorpe to get his take.

"My concern is his weight, of course, and the deleterious effect that has on his lower extremities," Thorpe said of the 6-8, 240-pound forward. "But that is more of a long-term problem, typically. I don't think he'll have trouble keeping up all season -- he is used to playing almost every day anyway. They'd be smart to help him lose 40 pounds, though."

If Parker is able to steer clear of injuries, a trend many on the Bucks were unable to avoid a season ago, his primary fantasy value is that of a scorer who can rebound and shoot the 3-ball. In fact, Pelton projects him to average 14.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and 0.8 made 3s per game, while having minimal contributions in most other areas such as assists (1.4), steals (0.9) and blocks (0.7).

"Parker is ready -- and in the right situation -- to make an impact on the offensive end," ESPN Insider Jeff Goodman said. "The Bucks have obviously invested a ton in him, and he's prepared on that end after being the focal point at Duke as a freshman last season. He has a variety of ways to score, but the key for him is taking higher-percentage shots. "

+rep :applause:

Dro
10-28-2014, 05:09 PM
I was able to get Giannis in either the last or the second to last round in our draft...