PDA

View Full Version : OGT: Oct 29 Hawks (0-0) @ Raptors (0-0)

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 07:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Mz4xURx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3cPUnXa.jpg

Game Preview: http://www.nba.com/games/20141029/ATLTOR/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

The most successful team in Toronto Raptors history returns largely intact, but that didn't stop coach Dwane Casey from preaching improvement throughout the preseason.

As far as he's concerned, his club needs to take the mentality of being overlooked at the beginning of last season and carry it over into 2014-15, especially with the heightened expectations.

"We can't listen to the noise," Casey said. "We can't sit on what we did last year. We have to continue to grow and get internally better. We'll find out who we are the next couple weeks."

Toronto begins its season Wednesday night against the visiting Atlanta Hawks after winning a franchise-record 48 games and its first Atlantic Division title in seven years. And it'll see plenty of familiar faces in the locker room.

The starting lineup of DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Terrance Ross, Amir Johnson and Jonas Valanciunas missed a combined 13 games last season and developed plenty of chemistry, and role players like Tyler Hansbrough and Landry Fields also return.

"We have confidence even if we didn't come off a winning season," DeRozan said. "When we look around and see the same guys that fought with us every single day back again, we have that much more confidence that we can be a lot better. We've just got to go out there more hungry."

The most notable return is Lowry, who fielded offers in free agency before re-signing for four years and $48 million after averaging career bests of 17.9 points and 7.4 assists.

"We've got guys that are focused on getting to the next level," Lowry said.

Lowry had his last-second shot blocked as Toronto fell in Game 7 to Brooklyn in the first round of the playoffs last season. The Raptors haven't won a postseason series since 2001, and that's something Casey hopes his squad keeps in mind.

"Now we just have to take the next step and getting it done with a chip on our shoulder," Casey said. "We haven't done anything. We're still in the building process and along with that we have expectations. I'm pushing us to grow and everyone around us is saying we're supposed to win. I'm reminding the guys that we're still a young team.

"There's still growing to do with our core guys. There's pressure to do that, and winning and everything else will take care of itself."

Toronto re-signed Greivis Vasquez and Patrick Patterson, who were acquired from Sacramento for Rudy Gay in December, and added more depth by bringing in Lou Williams via a trade with Atlanta in June.

Williams struggled to stay healthy during his two seasons with the Hawks, who dealt him in a cost-cutting move.

"Anytime you can prove somebody wrong and play those types of games is always fun," Williams said. "I'm coming in here with the mindset of just wanting to help and being a part of that culture."

He was made wise quickly of how Toronto expects to surprise people again this season.

"They had a lot of success last year and they're still not being talked about," Williams said. "They take that very personal."

Williams' former team also returns a good chunk of its roster after Atlanta made the playoffs for a seventh straight season. The Hawks went 38-44 but gave top-seeded Indiana a scare in the first round by taking the series to seven games.

What makes that most impressive is the fact that Al Horford played in only the first 29 games before tearing his right pectoral muscle. He also played just 11 games in 2011-12 after tearing the same muscle on the left side.

Horford returns fully healthy, and the Hawks drafted Michigan State standout Adreian Payne in the first round to add depth in the paint. With the signing of Thabo Sefolosha in the offseason, Atlanta has good reason to believe it can make some noise in the playoffs.

The task for second-year coach Mike Budenholzer is finding minutes for everyone. Starters Paul Millsap, DeMarre Carroll, Kyle Korver and Jeff Teague are back with Horford, and Budenholzer sees himself having a good problem with the quality of players he can bring off the bench.

"That will be one of the hard things, figuring out how to use them all and take advantage of all their abilities," Budenholzer said. "Assuming we're healthy, we've got a lot of guys that really deserve to play."

Millsap made strides last season in his first with Atlanta, averaging a career-best 17.9 points and making his first All-Star team. Teague also set a career high with 16.5 points per contest while Korver extended his streak of hitting at least one 3-pointer to 127 games.

Teague tied his career high with 34 points in 118-113 overtime win over the Raptors on March 18 as the teams split the four-game season series. DeRozan averaged 28.0 points in those matchups.

Qwyjibo
10-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Death to the Hawks!

Richesly
10-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Easy W for Atlanta.

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 07:21 PM
The square is hot.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1JiGeDCYAAoI-h.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1JngIcCcAAAbBF.jpg

Fudge
10-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Horford better kill it for my fantasy team.

n00bie
10-29-2014, 07:26 PM
The square is hot.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1JiGeDCYAAoI-h.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1JngIcCcAAAbBF.jpg

Outside looks like a playoff game. :biggums:

Im Still Ballin
10-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Atlanta with the upset.

Horford with a big game.

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Outside looks like a playoff game. :biggums:

Almost like it never left.

Bcogswell
10-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Its about damn time.

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 07:44 PM
What happened to Vasquez? :biggums:

Trade him immediately.

T_L_P
10-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Number 1 team in the East. Get the W

Bcogswell
10-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Ross for 3! :rockon:

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Al taking a lot of jumpers.

Qwyjibo
10-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Hansbrough the first big off the bench? Really? I was hoping to not see much of him this year.

Richesly

Usually those jumpers go in.

Legends66NBA7
Transition defense has looked great, but we're fouling too much.

fsvr54
10-29-2014, 07:57 PM

Trying to get back into rhythm.

BuffaloBill
10-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Need some fantasy points from teague and big val venis. Go Hawks! Go Raptors! Woo!!! :banana:

Bcogswell
10-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Ross throwing it down!

AKADS
10-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Ross is active. Lots of bad plays a few good ones.

Lowry is far from overpaid. Him at 12 is better then most contracts this summer

BuffaloBill
10-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Wow they just compared the Hawks to the Spurs. New favorite east team :applause:

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Trying to get back into rhythm.

Also, I doubt he would want to bang too much considering his injuries.

fsvr54
10-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Really like our bench.

Richesly
10-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Wow they just compared the Hawks to the Spurs. New favorite east team :applause:

Glad to have your aboard!

BuffaloBill
10-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Vasquez changes his number every season lol

Bcogswell
10-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Lou with the bucket and the foul!

BuffaloBill
10-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Wow Mike Scott

T_L_P
10-29-2014, 08:17 PM

They've been mini-Spurs since last year, bro!

They're my East team, for sure. Bud is a really nice guy.

Now if Al would post up a little more...

Richesly
10-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Hawks Ball movement >>>>>>>> Raptors

Kungfro
10-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Korver killing the Raps right now.

Bcogswell
10-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Go away teague

BuffaloBill
10-29-2014, 08:35 PM
They've been mini-Spurs since last year, bro!

They're my East team, for sure. Bud is a really nice guy.

Now if Al would post up a little more...

All they need is a few international players and a manu guy

Bcogswell
10-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Amir Johnson!

AKADS
10-29-2014, 08:39 PM
When Amir plays this involved the raptors are going to be hard to beat

Richesly
10-29-2014, 08:43 PM
People say Kyle Lowry is better than Teague?:roll: :roll: :roll:

Qwyjibo
10-29-2014, 08:48 PM
- Great half by Amir. He's such an effective player when he can stay out of foul trouble.

- Good half from Lowry too. Shot wasn't falling but he was playing smart.

- Forget about help defense Ross. Just stick to Korver. He got lost too many times on defense.

- Jonas still needs to smarten the fk up.

- I don't think I want to see Vasquez and Lou Williams on the floor together very often.

- Most unconvincing product endorsement: Masai Ujiri and his Blackberry Passport. I'm sure it was tough to feign interest while filming that commercial.

People say Kyle Lowry is better than Teague?
He definitely was last year.

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Half time notes.

-Amir has been great. Both ends of the floor, when he plays like this, it's just going to be a tough night to beat us.

-Kyle and DeMar off to very slow starts offensively (scoring wise), but I like the defensive effort by both of them.

-Jonas can't get into foul trouble this early, because he was actually playing well when he was out there. Has to work on that.

-Ross is hitting some outside shots, but he's losing his defensive assignment (Korver of all people) way too much. Needs to get up in his grill more and stay tight.

-The bench has been great, they are outplaying the Hawks bench for now.

-Team needs to pick up on it's 3 point defense overall, can't keep leaving the Hawks shooters open. Transition defense has been solid overall, need to stop the easy opportunities.

-Only 3 turnovers so far, got keep that as low as possible since this Hawks team fights back so much.

Richesly
10-29-2014, 08:49 PM
- Great half by Amir. He's such an effective player when he can stay out of foul trouble.

- Forget about help defense Ross. Just stick to Korver. He got lost too many times on defense.

- I don't think I want to see Vasquez and Lou Williams on the floor together very often.

- Most unconvincing product endorsement: Masai Ujiri and his Blackberry Passport. I'm sure it was tough to feign interest while filming that commercial.

He's just another flopper from what I've seen. :sleeping :sleeping

Qwyjibo
10-29-2014, 08:51 PM
He's just another flopper from what I've seen. :sleeping :sleeping
And? If it works, keep doing it. Flopping will soon be considered a skill because the refs are too incompetent and the league doesn't seem to care much about it. I don't have a problem with any player flopping because there are hardly any consequences in today's NBA.

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 08:51 PM

Vasquez and Lou are only good for some instant offense, but yeah their defense together at the same time is pretty awful.

I also need to see James Johnson step up. He's better than what he's put out so far.

Qwyjibo
10-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Vasquez and Lou are only good for some instant offense, but yeah their defense together at the same time is pretty awful.

I also need to see James Johnson step up. He's better than what he's put out so far.
Johnson needs to be on the floor with a great shooter or two. He's not bad moving the ball on offense but because he can't shoot, he'll always be limited.

BRabbiT
10-29-2014, 08:58 PM
good half by both teams.

a little hard to pay attention w/Game #7 on:D

Kungfro
10-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Lou!!

BRabbiT
Lou was fouled:lol

Fudge
Horford is so ass. Why the hell did I pick this goof up in fantasy.

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Career high 6 steals for DeMar tonight.

Got to close this game out with authority now.

atljonesbro
10-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Korver is just such a great player. GOAT 3 pt role player, good passer, good defender, solid on the boards, best in the league off the ball. He's so good I love it. One of the silver linings of this game

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 09:35 PM

Gave you a double double, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block. Not good shooting, though... but that's still a solid line for fantasy.

Twiens
10-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Raps looking damn good :applause:

Kungfro
10-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Raps looking damn good :applause:

Up until those last few possessions, Hawks getting back into it.

AKADS
10-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Raptors 3 point defense is the worse I have seen in a long time

Dave3
10-29-2014, 09:59 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: Just HAVE to give us a scare don't you guys? Nice move by Lowry though.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Hawks can't rebound for shit.

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Raptors 3 point defense is the worse I have seen in a long time

Raptors defense has looked horrible overall. This 4th is just the icing on the a shit sundae.

Fortunate to get the win, though. Can't have 4th quarters like that anymore.

On that note....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-H65ttpRrHWM/UPCona22xWI/AAAAAAAAAIM/zpWWRBinUXM/s1600/DSC_8846Rollups.jpg

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 10:11 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: Just HAVE to give us a scare don't you guys? Nice move by Lowry though.

It's love/hate relationship with this team, I swear.

Qwyjibo
10-29-2014, 10:13 PM
- Great game by Amir. He did little wrong.

- Solid game by Jonas in the end although he looked sluggish on defense. It especially showed with those silly fouls in the 1st half.

- While I appreciated the effort on D and the boards, Derozan's offense was brutal. He wasted some huge possessions in the 4th while Atlanta was scoring. I don't know what he was thinking at times.

- Patterson is skilled by can be a bit soft. Hansbrough is tough but has little in terms of skill. It's going to be interesting how these guys are used this year.

- James Johnson will be a key bench guy when opposing teams go small. He showed his usual good defense and very shaky offense. But for the price the Raptors got him for, he should be a great value.

fsvr54
10-29-2014, 10:18 PM
What an awful day this has been for me. Good thing I woke up in a good mood.

Qwyjibo
10-29-2014, 10:24 PM
If Atlanta's front office ever feels this way, please send him to Toronto ASAP.

Legends66NBA7
10-29-2014, 10:26 PM
If Atlanta's front office ever feels this way, please send him to Toronto ASAP.

It's a risk with his health, but man he would be a great fit in Toronto. Basically just slot him at PF (where he should really play) and the Raptors would be even more tough than they are.

Hotlantadude81
10-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Last nights game reminded me of why I have zero excitement about the season.

I would say that the Hawks should feel ashamed of their effort.... But... That would be expecting too much from a team that is not very talented to start with.

Millsap was terrible.... He didn't deserve his all star appearance last year either. So.. Horford is a stat player like Shareef Abdur Rahim was. His return is only going to add a few wins. Having both Korver and Carroll starting is shameful.