PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Greatest Dunkers in Pistons History

Rake2204
10-30-2014, 10:15 AM
http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Ben-Wallace-2004-Finals-Tip-Du-543fef186f303.gif

http://detroitsportsnation.com/blog/10-greatest-dunkers-pistons-history/

Top 5:

5. Ben Wallace
4. Jerry Stackhouse
3. Jason Maxiell
2. Andre Drummond
1. Grant Hill

Fun breakdown. I wasn't even sure if there were 10 great dunkers in the history of Pistons basketball. Dennis Rodman might be have been stretching it, but he had some surprising pokes in his younger days.

Anywho, which teams can roll out a better top 10 than these guys? I know they're out there. The Raptors would be top heavy, but what would their 5-10 look like?

1. Vince Carter
2. Tracy McGrady
3. Terrence Ross
4. DeMar DeRozan
5. ?

Dro
10-30-2014, 10:37 AM
http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Ben-Wallace-2004-Finals-Tip-Du-543fef186f303.gif

http://detroitsportsnation.com/blog/10-greatest-dunkers-pistons-history/

Top 5:

5. Ben Wallace
4. Jerry Stackhouse
3. Jason Maxiell
2. Andre Drummond
1. Grant Hill

Fun breakdown. I wasn't even sure if there were 10 great dunkers in the history of Pistons basketball. Dennis Rodman might be have been stretching it, but he had some surprising pokes in his younger days.

Anywho, which teams can roll out a better top 10 than these guys? I know they're out there. The Raptors would be top heavy, but what would their 5-10 look like?

1. Vince Carter
2. Tracy McGrady
3. Terrence Ross
4. DeMar DeRozan
5. ?
Rudy Gay....

Edit - Or Joey Graham or Keon Clark...

CHi1PriDe
10-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Smoove gets no love?

Rake2204
10-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Rudy Gay....

Edit - Or Joey Graham or Keon Clark...Wow, that list runs deep. I wonder if Rudy was around long enough to make the Raptors list (likely so). But Keon Clark is a big one.

1. Vince Carter
2. Tracy McGrady
3. Terrence Ross
4. DeMar DeRozan
5. Rudy Gay
6. Keon Clark
7. Joey Graham
8. Jerome Williams
9. ?

Smoove gets no love?Likely not enough time in Detroit yet. Orlando Woolridge missed the cut for the same reason - just not a great sample size with the team. Smith might have a case over some at the bottom though, but the Pistons fan on me is fine with Rodman staying. If they do an erratic shot selection list, I wouldn't mind Smith making an appearance.

pauk
10-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Been looking some teams up and surprisingly Cavs really stand out:

Harold Miner (won the dunk contest)
Larry Nance (won the dunk contest)
Jamario Moon (was in dunk contest)
Shannon Brown (was in dunk contest)
Shawn Kemp (was in dunk contest, he still had it in 97')
Ricky Davis (was in dunk contest)
Bob Sura (was in dunk contest)
Ron Harper (was in dunk contest)
JJ Hickson (that guy can really get up there)

and ofcourse a guy who i think is in argument for being the best ingame dunker of all time.... Lebron James...........

Kevin Johnson was not bad either for his size.

AirFederer
10-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Bulls...
MJ
Pip
Rose
Nate R
Orlando W
Jason Caffey?
?
?

Dro
10-30-2014, 11:02 AM

and ofcourse a guy who i think is in argument for being the best ingame dunker of all time.... Lebron James...........

Kevin Johnson was not bad either for his size.
:biggums:

See, your post is excellent, then you get a bit carried away...Unless you mean best ingame dunker for the Cavs...If you meant in history period, then Id have to disagree with you...There are many players who are better in-game dunkers than Lebron...

pauk
10-30-2014, 11:30 AM
:biggums:

See, your post is excellent, then you get a bit carried away...Unless you mean best ingame dunker for the Cavs...If you meant in history period, then Id have to disagree with you...There are many players who are better in-game dunkers than Lebron...

Hm... i am really struggling to see what guys like you see / dont see (guys who think Lebron is not one of the best ingame dunkers of all time)....... all i see is maybe the most freakish NBA athlete i ever seen flying around & toying with everybody, smashing the rim to smitherines since 2003, he is dunking more than everybody & he is dunking on everybody, sometimes literally clearing people from beneath to dunk...

The way he forced/created dunks & tyrannized offenses with his dunking since 2003 is something ive seen from Dominique Wilkins, Michael Jordan & Vince Carter (for a short while)..... hence why in my opinion he is in argument....

Rake2204
10-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Kevin Johnson was not bad either for his size.That's an impressive list, though I think the Pistons list was going off of best dunkers in Pistons history. As in, who dunked best in a Pistons uniform. Again, that's why Orlando Woolridge or Darryl Dawkins didn't make the cut there. They were great all-time dunkers, but were kind of old and only played for a very short amount of time in Detroit (one season or less).

So, with that in mind, Miner & Brown might have a pretty small Cleveland sample size and Kemp was mostly post-prime. I think Hickson had some nice Cavs dunks but likely did nastier things elsewhere. And even Jamario barely played 100 games for Cleveland so that could effect some things as well.

They can all have a place on that Top 10 anyway but in terms of work done in a Cavs uni, that list is a little juiced because the best of some of those guys came elsewhere.

Also, I think people are going to object to your LeBron James statement because even if most acknowledge he's "one of the greatest dunkers", that is still very far removed from "possibly better than Vince Carter".

SugarHill
10-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Hm... i am really struggling to see what guys like you see / dont see (guys who think Lebron is not one of the best ingame dunkers of all time)....... all i see is maybe the most freakish NBA athlete i ever seen flying around & toying with everybody, smashing the rim to smitherines since 2003, he is dunking more than everybody & he is dunking on everybody, sometimes literally clearing people from beneath to dunk...

The way he forced/created dunks & tyrannized offenses with his dunking since 2003 is something ive seen from Dominique Wilkins, Michael Jordan & Vince Carter (for a short while)..... hence why in my opinion he is in argument....
:roll:

Rake2204
10-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Bulls...
MJ
Pip
Rose
Nate R
Orlando W
Jason Caffey?
?
?Maybe a few picks out of Eddie Robinson, Tyrus Thomas, Artis Gilmore, Larry Kenon and David Greenwood? And maybe Ho Grant?

Mass Debator
10-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Man that Jason Maxiell dunk was crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9nDxSAQ01E

Proctor
10-30-2014, 12:43 PM
While we're on the rare topic of Jason Maxiell, how about when he stonewalled Tyson Chandler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFNHxWwBws

Rake2204
10-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Man that Jason Maxiell dunk was crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9nDxSAQ01EI think he took Ben Wallace's lessons to heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoDX7cBlLgY

The_Pharcyde
10-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Bulls no order

Jordan
Pippen
Grant
Eddie Robinson
Tyrus Thomas
Derrick Rose
Taj Gibson
Ron Harper
Orlando Woolridge
Nate Robinson
Jason Caffey

Off the top of the dome probably more

Rake2204
10-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Bulls no order

Jordan
Pippen
Grant
Eddie Robinson
Tyrus Thomas
Derrick Rose
Taj Gibson
Ron Harper
Orlando Woolridge
Nate Robinson
Jason Caffey

Off the top of the dome probably moreDo you believe the Bulls version of Harp should make that list? Can't believe I forgot about Taj Gibson on the first go-around though. Great dunking style, that guy.

Dro
10-30-2014, 02:08 PM

I mean, I feel you...Its just that when I think of best in-game dunkers, I'm thinking of creativity, guys that pull off dunk contest dunks in-game, sometimes even on players...Also posters which Lebron doesn't have many of, especially over big-men...Now that's mainly a result of the fact that most guys just don't jump with him but it still affects my perception of him as an in-game dunker...He has ridiculous athleticism, and gets up super high, but he's just not creative enough for me, even when's all alone, he usually does that same signature, 1-handed Lebron dunk. And also the lack of posters...

AirFederer
10-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Do you believe the Bulls version of Harp should make that list? Can't believe I forgot about Taj Gibson on the first go-around though. Great dunking style, that guy.
Forgot Taj also! Dang!

Bulls Harper is nowhere near this list imho. Shot knees by that time iirc.

Dro
10-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Forgot Taj also! Dang!

Bulls Harper is nowhere near this list imho. Shot knees by that time iirc.
Correct......

The_Pharcyde
10-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Do you believe the Bulls version of Harp should make that list? Can't believe I forgot about Taj Gibson on the first go-around though. Great dunking style, that guy.

yeah true.. his knees were busted by that time...

i was listing great dunkers who suited up with the bulls

Rake2204
10-30-2014, 06:56 PM
yeah true.. his knees were busted by that time...

i was listing great dunkers who suited up with the bullsYeah I feel you. Fun lists to imagine either way. I just prefer the "in-a-team's-uniform" route because I find it more interesting.

For instance, the Nets' top 10 dunkers. Who's number 1: Nets-era Julius Erving or Nets-era Vince Carter? Erving was in his youth, Carter less so, but VC was still doing dirty things (windmills, reverse lobs, 360's, Alonzo homicides).

JimmyMcAdocious
10-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Lakers are probably up there. Cooper, Scott, Kobe, Brown, Jones, Worthy, Shaq, Baylor. That's 8. Probably some scrubs I'm forgetting.

Hawks: Wilkins, Webb (maybe?), Teague, Augmon, Smoove. Can't think of who else. Marvin had some pretty vicious dunks.

Difficult to think of 10. Thinking Houston or Phoenix might be up there. Philly.

Suns: Chambers, Amare, Gerald Green?, Bledsoe?, Ceballos, Hawkins, KJ, Nance, Marion. Maybe Barkley or JRich if you want to stretch it.

76ers: Dr J, Hawkins, Jones, Iverson, Iggy, Carney, Wilt, Stack, Barkley, Cunningham

Wolves might get up there. Wiggins, Lavine, Rider, KG. Was Marbury dunking back with them? I know he had some stuff in New Jersey.

Rake2204
10-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Lakers are probably up there. Cooper, Scott, Kobe, Brown, Jones, Worthy, Shaq, Baylor. That's 8. Probably some scrubs I'm forgetting.

Hawks: Wilkins, Webb (maybe?), Teague, Augmon, Smoove. Can't think of who else. Marvin had some pretty vicious dunks.

Difficult to think of 10. Thinking Houston or Phoenix might be up there. Philly.

Suns: Chambers, Amare, Gerald Green?, Bledsoe?, Ceballos, Hawkins, KJ, Nance, Marion. Maybe Barkley or JRich if you want to stretch it.

76ers: Dr J, Hawkins, Jones, Iverson, Iggy, Carney, Wilt, Stack, Barkley, Cunningham

Wolves might get up there. Wiggins, Lavine, Rider, KG. Was Marbury dunking back with them? I know he had some stuff in New Jersey.I think I'm being really dense, but what Hawkins are you referring in Philly?

JimmyMcAdocious
10-31-2014, 12:31 AM
Dawkins... I don't know where that came from. I can't even think of a Hawkins, other than Connie Hawkins.

Rake2204
10-31-2014, 12:32 AM
Dawkins... I don't know where that came from. I can't even think of a Hawkins, other than Connie Hawkins.Oh word, haha. I was thinking you were referencing Hersey, who was decidedly not a high-flyer.

SHAQisGOAT
10-31-2014, 01:39 AM
I think I'm being really dense, but what Hawkins are you referring in Philly?

https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8oddy2Hfs1qcmnsoo1_500.png

Man, 1979 Philly (and more from those days) must've been really exciting to watch in terms of dunking/athleticism, with Dr J, Dawkins, Bobby Jones, Caldwell, Kobe's dad...

Rake2204
11-02-2014, 03:36 PM
https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8oddy2Hfs1qcmnsoo1_500.png

Man, 1979 Philly (and more from those days) must've been really exciting to watch in terms of dunking/athleticism, with Dr J, Dawkins, Bobby Jones, Caldwell, Kobe's dad...Yeah, he verified that. He originally said Hawkins, like Hersey Hawkins. But I agree, nasty lineup there.

That'd be a sick poster, by the way.