Bobcats2013
10-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Said no one ever.

kurple
10-30-2014, 10:23 AM
agreed

Wally450
10-30-2014, 10:26 AM
I agree, I don't see what all the hate is with Evan Turner.

DukeDelonte13
10-30-2014, 10:35 AM
I agree, I don't see what all the hate is with Evan Turner.

he was the number 2 overall pick and was a BEAST at OSU. He didn't quite live up to the hype.

Jailblazers7
10-30-2014, 10:42 AM
Why did Philly give up on him?
Why did Indy misuse him?

Their loss is Celtics gain. :D

Sixers tank and his skills overlapped too much with Lance to quickly fit in with Indy. I think he just stuck in a shitty spot with Indy and it hurt his desirability in FA.

MMM
10-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Like him when he's under control especially as a playmaker. Thought he was the best player in that playoff run a few years back

chocolatethunder
10-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Why did Philly give up on him?
Why did Indy misuse him?

Their loss is Celtics gain. :D
I can explain all of this since I've seen about every game that he's played and I'm from the Philadelphia area. Doug Collins didn't really like him because Turner is extremely selfish and immature. It rubbed Collins the wrong way and Collins chose to develop Holiday and Turner was permanently in the dog house. Turner had some incidents but I can't remember them. Anyway, I kind of like Turner but he'll frustrate the hell out of you. I actually think that he was a better PG than Holiday. Turner's problem is that he absolutely needs the ball in his hands to be effective and if he's not getting the ball he will pout and shut down. He's a great passer and tremendous rebounder for his size. He's not a good shooter and he shoots way too much. He has difficulty fitting in because he thinks that he's a better scorer than he is and he's not a good defender. That's why Vogel wanted nothing to do with him once he got him. That's why he had zero interest in free agency. His numbers his last year in Philadelphia were so inflated because he had the green light and shot when he wanted. Maybe he got humbled in free agency and maybe he's finally going to learn but I'm not sure. Turner is talented but he will never be a go to guy or an all star. He's kind of like Iguodala in the sense that he can fill up a stat sheet but you'd never want him taking the last shot. I don't mean that their games are similar I mean that they can both do a lot of things. If you look at his stats and his advanced stats you will get an idea of what I'm talking about. However, I think that if he ever got his head together that he can be a decent player. Until he does that, he'll keep getting shitty deals in free agency because he's not fooling anyone.

artificial
10-30-2014, 12:06 PM
He is a good player, I still like him.

However, he is not a great player, let alone a franchise player. As good as he is, Philly hadn't many reasons to keep him. He is not a cornerstone of a rebuilding franchise, and he would have asked for more money than a rebuilding-mode management was willing to give him.

I still remember how happy I was when Philly got the #2 pick in 2010. I was hoping he could develop into our franchise player. I still wish him the best and glad to see he is doing well in Boston :pimp:

Dr.J4ever
10-30-2014, 12:24 PM
He drove us crazy in Philly.

He thinks he's a PG or a point forward hybrid or something, but his handles are just not good enough. He's not even athletic enough as a threat to take it to the rack. Nor can he shoot it from range. He basically likes to take pull up 2s, which he has developed to a mediocre level.

Defensively, he can be inconsistent, but when motivated, he's more than adequate. His real strength lies with his defensive rebounding. I would say he is in the upper echelon of guards in this aspect, and above average for SFs, if you play him at that position in Boston.

I used to think he could come off the bench for a good team and do a good job, but after the Indiana experience, I'm not sure anymore.

Styles p
10-30-2014, 12:39 PM
i remember he always played up to boston and had great games when we played them.

JohnnySic
10-30-2014, 12:50 PM
I can explain all of this since I've seen about every game that he's played and I'm from the Philadelphia area. Doug Collins didn't really like him because Turner is extremely selfish and immature. It rubbed Collins the wrong way and Collins chose to develop Holiday and Turner was permanently in the dog house. Turner had some incidents but I can't remember them. Anyway, I kind of like Turner but he'll frustrate the hell out of you. I actually think that he was a better PG than Holiday. Turner's problem is that he absolutely needs the ball in his hands to be effective and if he's not getting the ball he will pout and shut down. He's a great passer and tremendous rebounder for his size. He's not a good shooter and he shoots way too much. He has difficulty fitting in because he thinks that he's a better scorer than he is and he's not a good defender. That's why Vogel wanted nothing to do with him once he got him. That's why he had zero interest in free agency. His numbers his last year in Philadelphia were so inflated because he had the green light and shot when he wanted. Maybe he got humbled in free agency and maybe he's finally going to learn but I'm not sure. Turner is talented but he will never be a go to guy or an all star. He's kind of like Iguodala in the sense that he can fill up a stat sheet but you'd never want him taking the last shot. I don't mean that their games are similar I mean that they can both do a lot of things. If you look at his stats and his advanced stats you will get an idea of what I'm talking about. However, I think that if he ever got his head together that he can be a decent player. Until he does that, he'll keep getting shitty deals in free agency because he's not fooling anyone.
Wow, great detailed response, thanks.

And thanks to all the others. :cheers:

stalkerforlife
10-30-2014, 01:11 PM
I always felt like Turner could play.

Just needed the right opportunity like so many players.

tanks1
10-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Sixer Fan here: He is a good player, not a great player. He does things well, but not great on the court. He needed to mature. Being the #2 pick, he expected to be better and the Philly fans expected greatness. I think he has been humbled............will have a nice career in the league.

chocolatethunder
10-30-2014, 03:41 PM
I always felt like Turner could play.

Just needed the right opportunity like so many players.
He got quite the opportunity last year. I dunno if you got a chance to watch all the Sixers/pacers games they were pretty telling. His first few years weren't but last year was because he was given the green light and scored a lot but when you actually watched the games you could see what was really going on. I don't mean that in a bad way but think how badly Indiana needed scoring and his number wasn't called and then look at the lack of attention he got in free agency. And if you get a chance you should look at his advanced stats. Again, none of this is bad, it just can give you a better picture of his impact. I say this because if you caught a handful of his best games, he would have looked a lot better than he really is. It doesn't mean he can't become that guy, it just means he's not there yet. Hopefully he can become a good player. I root for him for sure.

3peated
10-30-2014, 03:43 PM
did he learn what ball movement is

salwan
10-30-2014, 04:21 PM
as long as stevens keeps him in check and turner stays within the offense he will be a nice contributor this season and stuff the stat sheet from the bench.

he certainly tried yesterday.

bdreason
10-30-2014, 04:27 PM
He's a solid bench player. His main issue is he tends to dominate the ball, but he's not a great passer, shooter, or finisher.

chocolatethunder
10-30-2014, 04:35 PM
He's a solid bench player. His main issue is he tends to dominate the ball, but he's not a great passer, shooter, or finisher.
He's a very god passer but a poor defender shooter and finisher and he's an awesome rebounder. Stevens is playing him at the PG when he's on the floor with Smart so that should say something about both of their PG skills.