PDA

View Full Version : What does defensive WS/Drtg mean in terms of individual defensive impact?

Akhenaten
10-30-2014, 01:50 PM
One of you stat guys help me understand this.

The 2010 Heat finished 2nd in points against, 6th in Drtg, and 28th in pace.

Wade lead the team with a 4.6 DWS, I wasn't able to find his individual Drtg, but I'm certain he led the team as he was clearly the team's best and most impactful individual defensive player.

Inexplicably rookie Michael Beaseley was 2nd in DWS with 3.8.

My questions are as follows:

1. IN GENERAL is an individual DWS/Drtg a fairly accurate representation of a player's defensive impact?

2. How is this stuff calculated?

3. How come a frontcourt player with a similar team Drtg, Opp points against, and pace accredited with so much more of a defensive impact?

For example, KG had a 8.0 DWS in 03-04 on a team that was 7th in Opp points against, 6th in Drtg and 21st in pace.

Is this just because Minn won more games? From what I've gathered actual win total doesn't affect DWS.

4. How much would you attribute a team's defense ranking to culture/coaching, Miami for example has always been stalwart defensively going back to the Mourning days.

Still the Heat has had great defensive players over the years, Mourning, Eddie Jones, Lebron, Wade.

How much credit would be assigned to Wade for being the best defender on a 6th ranked defense?

Demitri98
10-30-2014, 01:56 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+is+defensive+rating+calculated