PDA

View Full Version : Cavs and Varejao close to an extension agreement

Hey Yo
10-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 19 seconds ago

Here in Cleveland today, ESPN sources say Cavs & Anderson Varejao nearing agreement on three-year extension believed to be worth $30 million

Nash
10-30-2014, 04:57 PM
a small raise for Andy who is now making 9,8m :applause:

hawkfan
10-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Way, way overpaid.

RedBlackAttack
10-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Way, way overpaid.
If he plays, he'll be worth every penny. Health is his biggest obstacle. He will be an absolutely key piece for this team. With all of that scoring potency, you need guys who can impact the game without the ball in their hands. That's Andy to a tee.

Lebronxrings
10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
30m !??? WTF. Waaaaay overpaid, he has never been that good and is on a huge decline. I can name 25 better centers in the league...

BigTicket
10-30-2014, 05:38 PM
I love Andy, but he's not worth 10M per year, not with his injury history.

Hey Yo
10-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 17 minutes ago

Cap/tax tough to peg now, but if CLE brings back Varejao, Thompson, Waiters (eventually) in $10M+ range, they're going to pay a hefty bill.

Nash
10-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Thompson doesn't deserve above 10m a year. He's not worth that money for a championship team. But since he's Lebron's boy Cavs will pay.

Jameerthefear
10-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Cavs already making mistakes. Starting to feel worried for Lebron.

RedBlackAttack
10-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 17 minutes ago
...and if that's a bill Gilbert is willing to foot, why does anyone give a sh!t? The Cavs are going to have zero cap space regardless of the specifics with LeBron, Kyrie and Love all presumably on huge max contracts. At that point, it becomes a question of how much over the cap the owner is willing to go.

It really shouldn't matter to the fans, unless the owner is incredibly cheap. Otherwise, Gilbert has the green light from me to pay millions upon millions if he so desires.

Hey Yo
10-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Thompson doesn't deserve above 10m a year. He's not worth that money for a championship team. But since he's Lebron's boy Cavs will pay.
So why haven't they done it yet? Today's the deadline to do an extension with Thompson or have to wait till summer when he becomes a RFA.

So according to you, we'll be hearing the announcement by midnight tonight?

navy
10-30-2014, 05:51 PM
...and if that's a bill Gilbert is willing to foot, why does anyone give a sh!t? The Cavs are going to have zero cap space regardless of the specifics with LeBron, Kyrie and Love all presumably on huge max contracts. At that point, it becomes a question of how much over the tax the owner is willing to go.

It really shouldn't matter to the fans, unless the owner is incredibly cheap. Otherwise, Gilbert has the green light from me to pay millions upon millions if he so desires.
I think the argument is that the money could be used on better players later.

That and salaries in the league have always been compared to other players. Nobody actually cares about Dan Gilbert's money. Not even him apparently.

Hey Yo
10-30-2014, 05:59 PM
This is from Oct. 4th. It gives 12 reasons / speculations as to why the Cavs should and should not offer Thompson that much Cash per year.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/10/post_103.html

NattyPButter
10-30-2014, 06:02 PM
WTF...if he could stay healthy that's a good price but the way he plays that's not gonna happen. I guess when the new TV contract kicks in it's actually low. They better be thinking about keeping the young players though and not create and old aging roster.

RedBlackAttack
10-30-2014, 06:03 PM
I think the argument is that the money could be used on better players later.

That and salaries in the league have always been compared to other players. Nobody actually cares about Dan Gilbert's money. Not even him apparently.
But, it can't necessarily be used on better players later if you have no cap space, which the Cavs won't with those three max contracts on the books. The Cavs need to retain the guys they have... especially the young guys like Thompson and Waiters. They're now extremely important to the future of the franchise since our days of drafting elite talent is a thing of the past.

Unless you are acquiring guys in trades, roster movement is going to be extremely difficult from this point forward. The one ace in the hole is Haywood's $12 million expirer next season. That is essentially a trade exception.

Outside of that -- which will have no bearing on the contracts of Varejao, Waiters or Thompson -- the Cavs have very little room to maneuver for the foreseeable future.

RedBlackAttack
10-30-2014, 06:08 PM
This is from Oct. 4th. It gives 12 reasons / speculations as to why the Cavs should and should not offer Thompson that much Cash per year.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/10/post_103.html
Seems to mainly highlight the reasons why they should retain him. I haven't really heard a good reason to allow him to walk. The only thing it helps is Dan Gilbert's payroll. It won't allow us to go after some other $8-12 million a year player because we'll be over the cap anyway.

When Tristan is signed (not "if" but "when"), all Cavs fans (and by extension, LeBron fans) should rejoice because it will mean Dan Gilbert gives zero f#cks about his payroll and is only interested in making the roster better.

Jameerthefear
10-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Vuc got 12m/yr and he's a far superior player and only 24