PDA

View Full Version : Are the Dallas Mavericks legitimate contenders, or just another good to great team?

Milbuck
10-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Dallas has looked really strong in their first couple games. Took the Spurs (without Kawhi) to the wire in their first game despite Parsons playing like trash, then bounced back with a strong win tonight.

The Mavs offense has looked really, really good. Smart, efficient, looks like a variation of the Spurs offense but with different weapons. And I know it's early in the season..but that could also be used in their favor, them being this good despite not having that much time to thoroughly integrate all of their new guys into the system.

And if Chandler can stay healthy and consistently bring energy that he didn't have in NY...he could transform their defense, give them a presence down low that they didn't have last year. Add another dimension to a team that's already dangerous.

Contenders or no?

stalkerforlife
10-30-2014, 11:39 PM
They're definitely legit if they stay healthy.

If healthy, I have them winning the title.

raiderfan19
10-30-2014, 11:41 PM
If they stay healthy it's the best offense in the league.

navy
10-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Im going to say. Only because I dont trust Chandler and Dirk anymore.

DirkNowitzki41
10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Im going to say. Only because I dont trust Chandler and Dirk anymore.

dont trust dirk?

DaSeba5
10-30-2014, 11:46 PM
If healthy, they are legit contenders IMO.

navy
10-30-2014, 11:46 PM
dont trust dirk?
Not to last and perform in the playoff.

Legends66NBA7
10-30-2014, 11:47 PM
They are just another good team.

Don't think their defense will hold up, IMO.

DirkNowitzki41
10-30-2014, 11:48 PM
To answer the OP, right know they look like a great team.. too early to say if they are contenders.

But man, anyone who said Tyson isnt good anymore was dead wrong. Dude has been great so far. I hope he can stay healthy like he was in 2011.. he changes this team.

YouGotServed
10-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Poor team's 2012-2013 Warriors

Not impressed. They're decent but severely overrated. 6th-8th seed probably.

tpols
10-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Legit.

Optimus Prime
10-30-2014, 11:50 PM
Good team, not contenders since they play in the West, unfortunately. Guaranteed ECF if they played in the Least.

Eric Cartman
10-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Their ball movement is spurs like, really unselfish, so that's why along okc they are threats to spurs.

DirkNowitzki41
10-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Poor team's 2012-2013 Warriors

Not impressed. They're decent but severely overrated. 6th-8th seed probably.

too bad houston isnt gonna make the playoffs.. wouldve been a fun series

DirkNowitzki41
10-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Not to last and perform in the playoff.

because of one tough series vs the spurs where the whole game plan was to stop dirk? wont be as easy this time

if dirk plays houston or portland in the playoffs last year, then he easily has another great series.

ArbitraryWater
10-30-2014, 11:56 PM
because of one tough series vs the spurs where the whole game plan was to stop dirk? wont be as easy this time

if dirk plays houston or portland in the playoffs last year, then he easily has another great series.

Thats the same guy that said its absurd for Dirk to win 4 titles had he played on the Spurs and as reasoning gave that Dirk would have to be the 2nd greatest ever :lol

Going out on a limb, I'm predicting a title right now... Bold but I need to do this lol.

No wait, but, barring Injuries, I'll guarantee only the Spurs would/could beat us come Playoff time. Only the Spurs.

YouGotServed
10-30-2014, 11:57 PM
too bad houston isnt gonna make the playoffs.. wouldve been a fun series

I'd type a thorough response if I took teeny-bieber-boppers' opinions seriously.

Shoo, run along now sport.

Duggrr
10-30-2014, 11:57 PM
They're not.

Joyner82reload
10-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Well I put $500 on them to win the title at 40:1 this summer, so hopefully...

navy
10-31-2014, 12:00 AM

I dont think he is capable. He can solid be like Tim Duncan, but the 2011 Dirk is gone. I think e is more likely to struggle after a long season. :confusedshrug:

ArbitraryWater
10-31-2014, 12:01 AM
I dont think he is capable. He can solid like Tim Duncan, but the 2011 Dirk is gone. :confusedshrug:

"Anything besides 2011 Dirk is incapable"

:facepalm

sammichoffate
10-31-2014, 12:02 AM
No one will expect them to go far, but I think they can go toe to toe with any team.

fsvr54
10-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Legit contenders.

2-3 seed

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 12:04 AM
I dont think he is capable. He can solid be like Tim Duncan, but the 2011 Dirk is gone. I think e is more likely to struggle after a long season. :confusedshrug:
Well it's a good thing he doesn't have to be 2011 Dirk anymore. He actually has 2 guys on his team that can play like all-stars on any given night.

navy
10-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Well it's a good thing he doesn't have to be 2011 Dirk anymore. He actually has 2 guys on his team that can play like all-stars on any given night.
All star appearances from Ellis and Parsons combined:

:lol

bizil
10-31-2014, 12:08 AM
The Mavs are FOR SURE LEGIT!! Dirk isn't really far off his prime, u could maybe back the argument he's still in his backend prime years. Ellis is underrated and a beast scoring the rock. Parsons fits in nice as the third option and future All Star SF. And u got Tyson back who's still among the top defenders and rebounders at C. Couple that with that sick bench, I could see them winning it all!

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 12:09 AM
All star appearances from Ellis and Parsons combined:

:lol
Another instance where you show your narrow understanding of the game. I guess Roy Hibbert and Manu Ginobili are equals.

And yes, Monta at no point in his career has ever played like an all-star.

ShackEelOKneel
10-31-2014, 12:11 AM
They are a legitimate dark horse.

navy
10-31-2014, 12:13 AM
Another instance where you show your narrow understanding of the game. I guess Roy Hibbert and Manu Ginobili are equals.

And yes, Monta at no point in his career has ever played like an all-star.

That's definitely what I said. :rolleyes:

Western all stars are clearly a tier above east all stars and the Mavs play in the West. You can bet they will see the real all stars in the playoffs. Ellis and Parsons are not at that level.

lol at using Roy "Eastern center" Hibbert and Manu "I come off the bench" Ginobli as examples. Both clear anomalies anyways.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 12:21 AM
That's definitely what I said. :rolleyes:

Western all stars are clearly a tier above east all stars and the Mavs play in the West. You can bet they will see the real all stars in the playoffs. Ellis and Parsons are not at that level.

lol at using Roy "Eastern center" Hibbert and Manu "I come off the bench" Ginobli as examples. Both clear anomalies anyways.
Who cares? I never once said they were actual all-stars or that they'd be all-stars this year. I said that on any given night, they could put in an all-star level performance...which they can. Ellis has always been an extremely talented offensive player, and now he's in a system that plays to his strengths with a coach who knows how to keep him under control. And same for Parsons, he's a very good up and coming player playing for a brilliant coach for the first time in his career. He's a legit 17-18 ppg player who can drop 20-25 with regularity...like he did tonight. What I said really isn't that big a reach. At all.

navy
10-31-2014, 12:26 AM
What I said really isn't that big a reach. At all.
Yeah and my response wasnt either. In fact, it was pure facts :lol

On a serious note, me saying the Mavs wont win because Dirk and Chandler cant be trusted isnt that big of a reach either. And yes, I think they are more important than Parsons and Ellis playing well.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 12:33 AM
Yeah and my response wasnt either. In fact, it was pure facts :lol

On a serious note, me saying the Mavs wont win because Dirk and Chandler cant be trusted isnt that big of a reach either. And yes, I think they are more important than Parsons and Ellis playing well.
It was a meaningless fact..I mentioned that Ellis and Parsons could play like all-stars on a good night..and you pointed out how they never made an all-star team. I guess Al Jefferson isn't capable of putting the Hornets on his back because he's never made an all-star team.

Anyways, to your second point..fair enough. With the way Chandler played last year I don't expect people to have faith in him bouncing back. All I'm saying is that "Dirk can't play like 2011 Dirk anymore" isn't much of an argument considering the talent around him doesn't demand that of him anymore.

masonanddixon
10-31-2014, 12:36 AM
This is the best supporting cast Dirk has ever had, and by a good margin.

If he can stay healthy, they should be able to win it all

navy
10-31-2014, 12:43 AM
It was a meaningless fact..I mentioned that Ellis and Parsons could play like all-stars on a good night..and you pointed out how they never made an all-star team. I guess Al Jefferson isn't capable of putting the Hornets on his back because he's never made an all-star team.

Anyways, to your second point..fair enough. With the way Chandler played last year I don't expect people to have faith in him bouncing back. All I'm saying is that "Dirk can't play like 2011 Dirk anymore" isn't much of an argument considering the talent around him doesn't demand that of him anymore.
Err...bad example, because I dont think Al Jefferson is capable of putting the Hornets on his back in the playoffs. Even in the East....

Not really about level of play, more about level of trust. If Dirk drops like a 20 on low percentages or gets injured I wouldnt bat an eye. Ellis and Parsons arent that good to overcome poor Dirk play even if they have their "all star" nights. Not like the Mavs are sporting an elite defense to back up this offense either.

PsychoBe
10-31-2014, 12:43 AM
mavs are done. if dirk had this team in 08'/09' then maybe but they will be nothing more than a midling team in the west

bdreason
10-31-2014, 12:45 AM
Their offense looks scary, that's for sure.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 12:50 AM
Err...bad example, because I dont think Al Jefferson is capable of putting the Hornets on his back in the playoffs. Even in the East....

Not really about level of play, more about level of trust. If Dirk drops like a 20 on low percentages or gets injured I wouldnt bat an eye. Ellis and Parsons arent that good to overcome poor Dirk play even if they have their "all star" nights. Not like the Mavs are sporting an elite defense to back up this offense either.
It's actually not a bad example at all because it goes along with everything I said. I never said for the whole season or for the whole playoffs, nor does he have to with Kemba and Lance there...but again, he's capable of doing it on any given night. Same thing for Ellis and Parsons, to a lesser extent.

And yes they absolutely would be enough if they're having good nights. Dirk had a bad series against the Spurs but guess who came through and helped give the Spurs their toughest series....Monta ****ing Ellis. And now he's got another year under Carlisle, and they added another legit weapon in Parsons. Who like Ellis is bound to get better playing there.

Smook A.
10-31-2014, 01:17 AM
I don't know, too early to tell. Their offense certainly looks good, though. If the whole team stays healthy, they can make a nice run.

huskerdu
10-31-2014, 01:27 AM
Their ceiling is the second round of the playoffs.

4-6th seed.

Smoke117
10-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Dallas has looked really strong in their first couple games. Took the Spurs (without Kawhi) to the wire in their first game despite Parsons playing like trash, then bounced back with a strong win tonight.

The Mavs offense has looked really, really good. Smart, efficient, looks like a variation of the Spurs offense but with different weapons. And I know it's early in the season..but that could also be used in their favor, them being this good despite not having that much time to thoroughly integrate all of their new guys into the system.

And if Chandler can stay healthy and consistently bring energy that he didn't have in NY...he could transform their defense, give them a presence down low that they didn't have last year. Add another dimension to a team that's already dangerous.

Contenders or no?

He's Tyson Chandler...not David Robinson. He's not even close to the game changer you are trying to fabricate.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 01:35 AM
He's Tyson Chandler...not David Robinson. He's not even close to a game changer like you are trying to fabricate.
Transform wasn't the right word..he's not gonna make them a top 3 defense like Chicago or Memphis. But he is a former DPOY...if he's healthy, with good coaching he could definitely take their defense from 22nd last year to the 10-15 range this year. Which imo is pretty significant.

huskerdu
10-31-2014, 01:39 AM
Chandler is never healthy and total shell of his former self. His shot blocking has declined tremendously he's no longer a rim protector.

pnyozzzoo
10-31-2014, 01:43 AM
Better than the Rockets by about 1 notch,4-6 seed.

Smoke117
10-31-2014, 01:56 AM
Transform wasn't the right word..he's not gonna make them a top 3 defense like Chicago or Memphis. But he is a former DPOY...if he's healthy, with good coaching he could definitely take their defense from 22nd last year to the 10-15 range this year. Which imo is pretty significant.

Bringing up the DPOY that he never deserved proves nothing. He's one of the weakest DPOY's ever as far as impact and dominance. He's never been a game changing anchor ever. He's not the kind of player that can take them from 22nd to 10-15 range. You also didn't mention that they lost Marion and added Parsons...who is just as horrible defensively as Harden. That's 36+mpg of terrible defense at their sf position now.

kentatm
10-31-2014, 02:00 AM
as long as they remain healthy they can take any team in a 7 game series.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 02:05 AM
Bringing up the DPOY that he never deserved proves nothing. He's one of the weakest DPOY's ever as far as impact and dominance. He's never been a game changing anchor ever. He's not the kind of player that can take them from 22nd to 10-15 range. You also didn't mention that they lost Marion and added Parsons...who is just as horrible defensively as Harden. That's 36+mpg of terrible defense at their sf position now.
Ok

Smoke117
10-31-2014, 02:06 AM
Ok

^________________^ Stick to the jokes. Leave the real discussions to those that know what they are talking about.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 02:13 AM
^________________^ Stick to the jokes. Leave the real discussions to those that know what they are talking about.
Ok

Smoke117
10-31-2014, 02:15 AM
Ok

Dat passive aggressiveness doe. :oldlol:

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 02:18 AM
Dat passive aggressiveness doe. :oldlol:
Boy do you have me figured out. Anything else you'd like to add?

Smoke117
10-31-2014, 02:19 AM

I'll keep you updated.

rhowen4
10-31-2014, 03:12 AM
put me down as legit

pastis
10-31-2014, 03:21 AM
give this team dirk from 04-12 and he wins multiple chips.
now they will maybe battle for the 4th seed in the west and maybe advance to the WCSF, thats all. Dirk is way to old and slow now. But for his age he is great

btw: dirk just played 22 min and scored 21 points. Why he cant have garbage time like kobe? so he could score more points. but coach doesnt let him have the garbage time and making meaningless points =(

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
10-31-2014, 03:22 AM
Theyll be a top 3 seed for sure and they match up well w/ every team
honestly depending on how they look near the end and w/ their healthy i might consider them favorites to win it all

stevieming
10-31-2014, 05:19 AM
If Dirk is left with enough gas for the playoffs then definitely s contender.

gin17
10-31-2014, 06:19 AM
dallas are contenders when they already get their chemistry together. i predict a dallas vs bulls finals this year.

Magic731
10-31-2014, 06:24 AM
Chandler being mad underrated in this thread.... Mavs won't win the chip but they will give a very good team a real scare. They are loaded with talent and will be great to watch throughout the season.

pastis
10-31-2014, 06:31 AM
people overreact9ng after a homewin against JAZZ:facepalm and loss against SPURS, where 3 main spurs-players couldnt play:banghead:

Legends66NBA7
10-31-2014, 06:34 AM
give this team dirk from 04-12 and he wins multiple chips.
now they will maybe battle for the 4th seed in the west and maybe advance to the WCSF, thats all. Dirk is way to old and slow now. But for his age he is great

btw: dirk just played 22 min and scored 21 points. Why he cant have garbage time like kobe? so he could score more points. but coach doesnt let him have the garbage time and making meaningless points =(

people overreactng ater a homewin against JAZZ:facepalm and loss against SPURS, where 3 main spurs-players couldnt play:banghead:

I agree with the 2nd post more. But then again, it's been over reactions all over last night.

Magic731
10-31-2014, 06:40 AM
people overreact9ng after a homewin against JAZZ:facepalm and loss against SPURS, where 3 main spurs-players couldnt play:banghead:
You could look at it like that. Or you could look at the fact that their team has a lot of talent, a legitimate superstar and one of the best coaches in the league. One blowout win and a one point loss on the road to the reigning champs isn't too bad.

DMAVS41
10-31-2014, 07:29 AM
as long as they remain healthy they can take any team in a 7 game series.

This.

The hard part might be getting to that point. The West is going to be a blood bath all year and every game will matter.

If the Mavs have a couple injuries...missing the playoffs is a possibility.

It's just so fragile.

However, the flip side to that. Is that if this team is healthy going into the playoffs. There isn't a team in the league other than a healthy Spurs team that really scares me.

Blue&Orange
10-31-2014, 07:37 AM
They would be a lot better if they didn't trade Calderon and Dalembert for a glorified cheerleader like Tyson Chandler. Looking to the boxscore and the only players without a +\- positive were center and PG, not surprised.

StephHamann
10-31-2014, 07:50 AM
They would be a lot better if they didn't trade Calderon and Dalembert for a glorified cheerleader like Tyson Chandler. Looking to the boxscore and the only players without a +\- positive were center and PG, not surprised.

:oldlol:

Magic731
10-31-2014, 08:05 AM
Using +/- to determine a players value... Classic.

kenny817
10-31-2014, 09:00 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

A lot of idiots on ISH I tell ya

DMV2
10-31-2014, 09:14 AM
I thought they were the dark horse team last year. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9805172&postcount=15

And after that opening series last year and now they've upgraded so much that they're no longer a dark horse. They are legitimate contenders.

Magic731
10-31-2014, 09:21 AM
The Mavs are very similar to Portland.

Ellis and Lillard, two explosive score first guards.
Batum and Parsons, both very good in the open court and knock down 3 shooters, although Batum's defense blows Parsons out of the water.
Dirk and Aldridge, the two stars of each team both great post up threats and can hit jumpers from anywhere with a guy in their face.
Lopez and Chandler, not much needs to be said, two defensive rebounding 7 footers.

Would love to see a playoff series between these two teams.

SCdac
10-31-2014, 10:35 AM
They lost to the Spurs without Kawhi/Tiago and beat the pedestrian Jazz team?

Am I missing something about their first two games

I'd say they're good to great, not quite contenders. Parsons I find to be too inconsistent/streaky and not an elite defender, Ellis can play like an AS but also have such dumb moments, Dirk looks older and stiffer imo, Chandler and Jameer are solid.

They'll definitely have to have all their pieces playing well, at the same time, for them to go all the way. If teams can get away with not doubling Dirk or Monta I think it'll go a long way in beating this Mavs team (kinda how the Spurs single covered Dirk with Tiago and Diaw in the playoffs).

StephHamann
10-31-2014, 10:55 AM
They'll definitely have to have all their pieces playing well, at the same time, for them to go all the way. If teams can get away with not doubling Dirk or Monta I think it'll go a long way in beating this Mavs team (kinda how the Spurs single covered Dirk with Tiago and Diaw in the playoffs).

And nearly lost? And now the Mavs team is better....

moaz
10-31-2014, 12:48 PM
T....

I smell fear

ArbitraryWater
10-31-2014, 12:49 PM
I smell fear

BuffaloBill
10-31-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't see them getting past the Spurs but I feel like they could take just about anyone else

Dresta
10-31-2014, 02:43 PM
No, because Parsons and Ellis aren't as good as some people in this thread seem to think they are.

Dresta
10-31-2014, 02:45 PM
:yaohappy:

kentatm
10-31-2014, 02:55 PM

b/c Dirk isn't a selfish stat where like Kobe. He DGAF about records and just wants to win. Saving his body for when it matters is more important than passing Shaq on the all time scoring list this season.

ArbitraryWater
10-31-2014, 05:31 PM

Son, if anyone's bullying you, TELL ME.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Son, if anyone's bullying you, TELL ME.
How'd I KNOW you'd try to cling on to this? Got you on a leash :lol

ArbitraryWater
10-31-2014, 05:56 PM
How'd I KNOW you'd try to cling on to this? Got you on a leash :lol

Look, you don't even need to come down in the living room, but just PM me, okay? I'll give you back up.

ArbitraryWater
10-31-2014, 05:56 PM

Look, pal, if you think you can just shit on my son Scot (Internet name Milbuck), then you are WRONG!

He may not be the smartest, athletic, or good looking kid... In fact, he's struggling to get his degree, and isn't the most popular kid. But he's HUMAN! STOP HURTING HIS FEELINGS! I won't no more of him crying himself to sleep! NO MORE! THOSE DAYS ARE O-V-E-R!

Otherwise I WILL contact the owner of this site for harrassment... You've been warned.

andremiller07
10-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Enes Kantar........Dirk is a beast but, but scoring at that rate on Enes is nothing hard to do tbh. Mav's are contenders but no doubt, intelligent group of players who can shoot it are always lethal in the long run.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Look, you don't even need to come down in the living room, but just PM me, okay? I'll give you back up.
You are so desperate for my attention :oldlol:

Anything else? Autograph? Link to my avatar? Always happy to help out a fan.

ArbitraryWater
10-31-2014, 06:03 PM

You're so cute http://noweevil.com/thehive/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/cuddling-dog.jpg

Just having some fun :cheers:

Xoush
10-31-2014, 06:05 PM
They are legit and will be better than the Clippers.

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Just having some fun :cheers:
Always glad to make a fan happy :cheers:

See you around, friend.