PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson gets 4 year max with Warriors

Uncle Drew
10-31-2014, 05:12 PM
Link: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=16782

Per Marc Stein:

ESPN sources say Klay Thompson is a done deal with Warriors. Four-year maximum extension just agreed this afternoon

ESPN sources say that Thompson and the Warriors have struck a four-year max agreement that is projected to be worth in the $70 million range

Milbuck
10-31-2014, 05:14 PM
17.5 mil/yr...?

:biggums:

Legends66NBA7
10-31-2014, 05:16 PM
Overpaid, big time. He isn't THAT good to earn 17.5 million a year.

But I guess this is the way for GM's to over pay their players, along with the new TV deal coming in it will probably look better... IF Klay improves.

Bobcats2013
10-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Klay will get better and I'm glad they did this before the new TV deal. Pay DrayGOD next and give Curry the real max.

roffie
10-31-2014, 05:20 PM
well considering the lack of SGs we have in the league.. i'll say dats a fair deal.. someone was gonna have to overpay for him anyways

The_Yearning
10-31-2014, 05:24 PM
Damn these light skin nikkas reaping the NBA

poido123
10-31-2014, 05:24 PM
When you see Alec Burks get 10 mil per year, you can understand Klay getting the max.

At least you're getting one of the best two way SG's in the league for your money. Not a half average player on 10 a year.

Sarcastic
10-31-2014, 05:25 PM
More like "his parents get a 4 year max, and they will increase his allowance".

r0drig0lac
10-31-2014, 05:27 PM
good for him and for the team

Burgz V2
10-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Overpaid, big time. He isn't THAT good to earn 17.5 million a year.

But I guess this is the way for GM's to over pay their players, along with the new TV deal coming in it will probably look better... IF Klay improves.

Market value. Name another SG not named Harden better than him, or with more potential than him.

UK2K
10-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Gross

FireDavidKahn
10-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Massive overpay for a SG who cannot rebound, assist and is only an above average defender.

Legends66NBA7
10-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Market value. Name another SG not named Harden better than him, or with more potential than him.

DeMar, Stephenson, and Beal.

I don't even think Klay has that much potential, to be honest. It was pretty clear DeMar was better than him last season. Stephenson and Beal can be debated, although I would think I would give the edge to Klay over both of them. Beal is the closest in terms of having a similar game to Klay, but he's already had a number of injuries to his body and isn't as efficient of a player.

Last season, he was at least Top 5. This year ? Probably competing higher for that. Don't see him ever being the best SG in the game.

Godzuki
10-31-2014, 05:46 PM
what a waste of money :facepalm

nice to see the Spurs aren't that dumb and didn't overspend on Kawhi.

i mean how many players on a team can u give a max deal to even with the new money? 3 on average? so many better players to give max money to.

Xoush
10-31-2014, 05:46 PM
So if Thompson is getting 17mil, what is the new salary cap?

El Kabong
10-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Not the worst. Bogut, Iggy and Curry all expire at the same time, not to mention Lee expiring the year before, so it still leaves room to re-sign Curry and keep adding pieces, plus it obviously keeps the squad together in the short term too. With the deals guys like Hayward and Parsons got, i'd take Thompson on the Warriors in that range too if I had to.

no pun intended
10-31-2014, 05:59 PM
lmao he isn't even that good...

QuebecBaller
10-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Why every players think they deserve a max contract??????

El Kabong
10-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Why every players think they deserve a max contract??????
"Cause he got X amount and i'm a better player than him, so I deserve Y amount more".

MUGEN
10-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Don't think he is worth that much personally :confusedshrug:

pnyozzzoo
10-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Great deal, cheaper and better than Harden. With the new TV deal he will be a bargain in a couple years. more than 3 team will pay him max this summer anyway, all it takes is one.

UK2K
10-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Great deal, cheaper and better than Harden. With the new TV deal he will be a bargain in a couple years. more than 3 team will pay him max this summer anyway, all it takes is one.
There's nothing cheaper or better about his deal.

Harden averages 26, 5, 5 and is making 14.7.

Thompson averaged 18, 3, 2 and is making 17.5m

Optimus Prime
10-31-2014, 06:27 PM
Best SG in the league today.

Totally worth it. He was ballin' on Team USA and will only get better.

DirkNowitzki41
10-31-2014, 06:34 PM
wow. awful deal

give me monta over klay.. and the dude makes 8 million. :oldlol:

qrich
10-31-2014, 06:36 PM
Why'd we have a lock-out again?

MJ(Mean John)
10-31-2014, 06:41 PM
It's unfortunate that all these b/c level guys are getting max contracts or near max contracts.

I can't see how this is going to stop in the near future.

Guy's like Parsons, Kawhi, Klay, etc are all in the same group. These MF'er's do NOT deserve the max man. back in the 90's and early 00's, these cats would be LUCKY to sniff 8 figures!!!!!!!! let alone the damn max!

This is irritating me man.

Damn morons. seriously. Max contracts and max level pay needs to be restricted to like 30 guys. Top 30. Even then, that might be too many.

Maybe top 10 or something but then who decides which guy can get max?
IDK. They need to find a way. I'm not saying, players should get sniffed but seriously, in a world where Klay is getting damn near 18 mil a year, and Nick Young is getting 4?? I mean, you can obviously say that klay is better but to say that he is 4.5 times the player that nick young isss??? lmaoo. C'mon man. I think Nick put up the same amount of points.

I'm not saying players shouldn't get thier money, but damn, when some guys aren't even sniffing 1 mil? Klay's Max should be like 12 mil. He should be MORE than happy with that. He aint no superstar.

NugzFan
10-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Excellent deal!

For klay.

Burgz V2
10-31-2014, 06:56 PM
DeMar, Stephenson, and Beal.

I don't even think Klay has that much potential, to be honest. It was pretty clear DeMar was better than him last season. Stephenson and Beal can be debated, although I would think I would give the edge to Klay over both of them. Beal is the closest in terms of having a similar game to Klay, but he's already had a number of injuries to his body and isn't as efficient of a player.

Last season, he was at least Top 5. This year ? Probably competing higher for that. Don't see him ever being the best SG in the game.

DeMar is the only one who you can really argue for, and as much a homer I am, Klay outplayed him in the World Cup. DeMar was huge for us last year but Klay has been pretty huge for a really good Warriors team. DeRozan might be slightly better because of his offensive versatility but Klay is howing signs he can become equally as versatile.

I don't think Beal is debatable at all. Klay is longer and a better shooter and hits at a higher volume and from various areas on the floor. Beal has great athleticism and probably the highest potential of all of them because of his ability/potential to play some point as well and be an initiator on offense but right now I don't think he's that close to the other three.

Stephenson might very well be the best of them all but he hasn't shown it yet. I can only go off what I've seen from him and what i've seen is he is pretty inconsistent, although he probably has the best NBA body and passing ability of them all.

Again, there are debates to be had, but no one you can argue that is definitively better. The whole point is that players get paid according to their market value. That's what their agents are paid to do, rank them against comparable players and leverage that as a way to ensure they get paid. DeRozan will get the max on his next contract because of that. That's why Klay did as well. That's why Alec Burks is getting 10 mil a year. Not because they have done something extraordinary, but because in general the current SG crop is weak in the NBA which means they'd be in high demand if they hit unrestricted free agency, or even restricted free agency.

Brujesino
10-31-2014, 07:03 PM
goddamn imagine what curry is gonna get

well atleast we get to keep thompson who even though is vastly overpaid is a really damn good player.

pnyozzzoo
10-31-2014, 07:06 PM
There's nothing cheaper or better about his deal.

Harden averages 26, 5, 5 and is making 14.7.

Thompson averaged 18, 3, 2 and is making 17.5m
Harden will make more than 15 next year, and klay will not get 17.5 till next year.
Harden wont average 26,5,5 and klay is a better 2 way player.
Harden's negative defense player actually gives opp free point so he be like 26-8= 18 about his actually net gain for his team winning points.
Well klay is definitely a positive defender so his actually influence on point will be like 18+4 = 22. Better than Harden easily.

He plays off ball which is great because there are so many on ball max player in the league wing player wise. There are easily more teams need a player like Clay than Harden. For example:

For spurs Clay replace Danny Green will make spurs a better team easily better than Harden.
For Thunder Clay replace who ever play Sg will be better than Harden.
For Clipper Clay replace JJ is better than Harden.
For Cavs Clay replace waiter is better than Harden.
For bulls Clay....

you get the point now? so many max star play on ball on all top contender makes clay's off ball and D so valuable esp. in the play off. Well Harden's chucking, iso, dribbling ball hog does not mesh well with any top contender.
There fore he is better and cheaper.:confusedshrug:

andremiller07
10-31-2014, 07:07 PM
DeMar is the only one who you can really argue for, and as much a homer I am, Klay outplayed him in the World Cup. .
Can people please stop bring up the world cup, they played a bunch of piss weak teams by NBA standards and it means nothing, Faried was the best player on Team USA and aside from Plumlee there is not another player on that roster Faired is even close to being as good as in the NBA.

RoseCity07
10-31-2014, 07:14 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

No one in the league would have paid him that in free agency. I'd let him go even if a team like the Bucks made that offer. Let him go to some small market team. All the big market teams don't have the cap space, and the teams that can afford him probably don't want to pay that much.

JellyBean
10-31-2014, 07:16 PM
Seems like a fair deal. Gordon Hayward is making $14 million this year, then $15 in '15-16, and $16 in '16-'17. Klay is better than Gordon Hayward...so fair deal.

RoseCity07
10-31-2014, 07:24 PM
One of the worst deals I've ever seen. Golden State just gave a Wesley Matthews level player 17+ million a year.:roll: :roll: :roll:

Whatever flexibility they had is probably gone after this.

NattyPButter
10-31-2014, 07:30 PM
that 2011 "weak" draft class get paid

bigkingsfan
10-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Curry is hella mad, watch Thompson take more shots now.

bigt
10-31-2014, 07:41 PM
It's hard to put a lot of these deals into context with the TV deal on the horizon, but wow that's a lot of money for Klay. Golden State must feel their lineup is basically set because the kind of money they're going to spend to sign him and the others when their contract is up is going to be really restrictive

hawkfan
10-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Curry will get 20 million.

DMAVS41
10-31-2014, 08:46 PM
this is why I think trading him for Love is so obviously the right move. You get to shed Lee in the process and get just a much better player in Love that is actually worth more than the max on the floor...the true max.

Klay is not worth 17.5 million a year.

Stupid move by the Warriors not to make that trade.

But nothing wrong with paying Klay this much to stay...nothing else they can do.

HurricaneKid
10-31-2014, 08:51 PM
i mean how many players on a team can u give a max deal to even with the new money? 3 on average? so many better players to give max money to.

So much dumb going on here.

In 2 years the league MIN salary will be ~82M with a cap of ~91M and a luxury line of ~111M.

17M for Klay will be a steal in 3 years in that players off rookie deals will be getting ~96M on their 4 year deals.

You guys are still talking about deals that were signed years ago under a completely different financial setting.

Kawai is going to have a line of suitors BEGGING him to take a 2 yr 32M deal with a 3rd yr player option (17M). Which is basically the CParsons deal. Unless he gets injured he will opt out of the 3rd year and sign a new deal for ~25M/season and we'll all have a laugh at SAS for not wanting to sign him for the old max. Max players will be making 30M+ in a few years.

hiphopfan777
10-31-2014, 08:52 PM
Well Kawhi deserves it because he has a finals mvp something durant doesnt have. Also trash players like Gordian Haywood who never made playoffs got one, why couldn't klay get one. Klay is better than harden. Harden never plays defense, Harden is trash is he doesnt get freethrows for his flopping contract

DMAVS41
10-31-2014, 08:56 PM
So much dumb going on here.

In 2 years the league MIN salary will be ~82M with a cap of ~91M and a luxury line of ~111M.

17M for Klay will be a steal in 3 years in that players off rookie deals will be getting ~96M on their 4 year deals.

You guys are still talking about deals that were signed years ago under a completely different financial setting.

Kawai is going to have a line of suitors BEGGING him to take a 2 yr 32M deal with a 3rd yr player option (17M). Which is basically the CParsons deal. Unless he gets injured he will opt out of the 3rd year and sign a new deal for ~25M/season and we'll all have a laugh at SAS for not wanting to sign him for the old max. Max players will be making 30M+ in a few years.

Again, it's not the price that is horrible...although he's not close to worth that actually.

It's that Kevin Love is just a much better player can will be able to be had for a price that is actually less than his on court value. While Klay is getting paid more than his on court value.

Shedding Lee in the process just makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

But I do agree that it's hardly a franchise killer contract or something given the new money coming in. However, we don't know how they are going to spread that money out yet and over what time frame.

HurricaneKid
10-31-2014, 08:57 PM
this is why I think trading him for Love is so obviously the right move. You get to shed Lee in the process and get just a much better player in Love that is actually worth more than the max on the floor...the true max.

Klay is not worth 17.5 million a year.

Stupid move by the Warriors not to make that trade.

But nothing wrong with paying Klay this much to stay...nothing else they can do.

Yup.

And it pointed out the idiocy in the Warriors position. He wasn't worth Love? How in the world is he NOT a rookie-max player then??

HurricaneKid
10-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Again, it's not the price that is horrible...although he's not close to worth that actually.

It's that Kevin Love is just a much better player can will be able to be had for a price that is actually less than his on court value. While Klay is getting paid more than his on court value.

Shedding Lee in the process just makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

But I do agree that it's hardly a franchise killer contract or something given the new money coming in. However, we don't know how they are going to spread that money out yet and over what time frame.

I wasn't directing that at you. Just at all the people that thnk KDs next del is going to be for 18M or whatever.

Cap is expressly outlined in the CBA and the new union president blasted the owners for trying to circumvent it. Teams are going to be racing to get to the floor the next few seasons. There are three teams this year with salary above my projected floor for 17/18.

DMAVS41
10-31-2014, 09:05 PM
I wasn't directing that at you. Just at all the people that thnk KDs next del is going to be for 18M or whatever.

Cap is expressly outlined in the CBA and the new union president blasted the owners for trying to circumvent it. Teams are going to be racing to get to the floor the next few seasons. There are three teams this year with salary above my projected floor for 17/18.

Right...I just wonder if the players will be the ones that want the money evenly spread out.

Because it's going to be hard for Klay to stomach signing this deal and then watching a guy clearly worse make that much or more in 2 years just because of when his contract is up or he's in line for an extension.

I think there could be some backlash by players if that were to happen...and there could potentially be a middle ground sought.

IncarceratedBob
10-31-2014, 09:08 PM
How can people say he's not worth the money. You're worth what you can get.

bdreason
11-01-2014, 12:53 AM
He's not worth the max... but our GM must have assumed Klay would get offered the max in the off-season, and didn't want it hanging over the team all season.

absalom
11-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Lance Stephenson's contract = bargain. :rockon:

UK2K
11-01-2014, 01:32 AM
Harden will make more than 15 next year, and klay will not get 17.5 till next year.
Harden wont average 26,5,5 and klay is a better 2 way player.
Harden's negative defense player actually gives opp free point so he be like 26-8= 18 about his actually net gain for his team winning points.
Well klay is definitely a positive defender so his actually influence on point will be like 18+4 = 22. Better than Harden easily.

He plays off ball which is great because there are so many on ball max player in the league wing player wise. There are easily more teams need a player like Clay than Harden. For example:

For spurs Clay replace Danny Green will make spurs a better team easily better than Harden.
For Thunder Clay replace who ever play Sg will be better than Harden.
For Clipper Clay replace JJ is better than Harden.
For Cavs Clay replace waiter is better than Harden.
For bulls Clay....

you get the point now? so many max star play on ball on all top contender makes clay's off ball and D so valuable esp. in the play off. Well Harden's chucking, iso, dribbling ball hog does not mesh well with any top contender.
There fore he is better and cheaper.:confusedshrug:

Everyone in this room is now dumber, for having listened to it.... But to show you how dumb you really are...

Harden will make 15.7m next season, Klay will make 17.5m. Harden ALREADY averages 26, 5, and 5, so not sure where you think he wont next season. He's averaged 25, 8, and 4 in his first two games, right on pace. He just had 18, 10, and 7 last night. Has Thompson ever averaged over 4 rebounds a game? He should, he's 6'7. He hasn't in case you were wondering, it was a rhetorical question. He's also never averaged over 2.2 apg in any season either. Star in the making.

I could list a bunch of teams who need a scorer that would benefit from having Harden over a guy who shoots three and plays defense and, doesn't really do much of anything else. Luol Deng shoots threes and plays defense. So does Ariza. In fact, I'd take Ariza over Klay on the Rockets all day every day and twice on Sunday. If you switch Harden and Thompson, the Warriors increase their record, the Rockets probably end up in the bottom third in the west.

Cool abstract number pulling though.

Heavincent
01-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Lots of people eating crow in this thread

supernova5912
01-24-2015, 02:05 AM
lmao he isn't even that good...

A guy that can drop 37 points and 9 threes in a quarter isn't that good?

KNOW1EDGE
01-24-2015, 02:07 AM
One of the worst deals I've ever seen. Golden State just gave a Wesley Matthews level player 17+ million a year.:roll: :roll: :roll:

You are so stupid

zizozain
01-24-2015, 02:24 AM
You are so stupid
He is.

and
UK2K

:roll: :roll:

KembaWalker
01-24-2015, 02:36 AM
Lance Stephenson's contract = bargain. :rockon:

Underrated lol moment of this thread :roll:

konex
01-24-2015, 02:38 AM

:roll:

ronnymac
01-24-2015, 02:42 AM
How is Saunders looking for not taking the Barnes/Thompson offer for love. Not very good.

DJ Leon Smith
01-24-2015, 05:20 AM
I'd take Ariza over Klay on the Rockets all day every day and twice on Sunday.

I think this is the winner.

GOBB
01-24-2015, 11:10 AM
I think this is the winner.

sammichoffate
07-05-2016, 12:47 PM

Velocirap31
07-05-2016, 12:59 PM
In hindsight, so many of these comments are so :facepalm . So many people on here say things with absolute certainty that they know little to nothing about.