PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe the best baseline dunker in the history of the sport?

IGOTGAME
11-01-2014, 04:09 PM
I don't think anyone else is close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E__D4QcJC68

STATUTORY
11-01-2014, 04:25 PM
the combination of elite first step, acceleration, body control and coordination in air, aesthetics to pull something like that off consistnetly is not within the repertoir of players like Lebron James

objectively speaking

sportjames23
11-01-2014, 04:32 PM
the combination of elite first step, acceleration, body control and coordination in air, aesthetics to pull something like that off consistnetly is not within the repertoir of players like Lebron James

objectively speaking

You are correct, sir.

Dro
11-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Got my n*gga Nas on the soundtrack...I think #2 should have been #1....That dunk on Sprewell wasty NAASSSTTY.....

IGOTGAME
11-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Those baseline dunks where he arches his back while moving away from the rim are impressive. Not many people who have that type of flexibility

COnDEMnED
11-01-2014, 05:57 PM
I don't think anyone else is close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E__D4QcJC68
I'm very fortunate to have seen this guy's whole career. Most people on this site weren't even sperm yet in 1996...some of them his greatest haters. It will be a huge blow to the sport when he retires.

ImKobe
11-01-2014, 06:13 PM
#3 is just too aesthetic for me to handle...jesus ****ing christ

aboss4real24
11-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Kobe is the most aesthetically pleasing player 2 watch

ArbitraryWater
11-01-2014, 06:18 PM
wow.. horrible angle on nr.1.. love nr6

ArbitraryWater
11-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Kobe is the most aesthetically pleasing player 2 watch

Once you say "aesthetically pleasing" you can kinda spare yourself "2 watch", Fresh Boy.

3ball
11-01-2014, 06:20 PM
kobe's baseline dunks are nice, but he can't do them very often compared to jordan.

jordan didn't need the perfect drive to do a reverse every time, because he had the athletic ability to overpower defenders much better than kobe, so he was dunking literally two and three times more frequently just doing regular dunks on the baseline over guys.

you'll never see kobe dunk on the baseline over defenders as efficiently or as easily as Jordan.

it's not even close.... but carry on... :rolleyes:

ImKobe
11-01-2014, 06:40 PM
kobe's baseline dunks are nice, but he can't do them very often compared to jordan.

jordan didn't need the perfect drive to do a reverse every time, because he had the athletic ability to overpower defenders much better than kobe, so he was dunking literally two and three times more frequently just doing regular dunks on the baseline over guys.

you'll never see kobe dunk on the baseline over defenders as efficiently or as easily as Jordan.

Yeah, Kobe isn't as athletic or physically gifted as MJ, this has been known for a long ass time now :rolleyes:

andgar923
11-01-2014, 07:11 PM
MJ and it ain't close.

IGOTGAME
11-01-2014, 07:21 PM
MJ and it ain't close.

Kobe's top 20 baseline dunks vs MJs top 20 and you MJ wins??? nuts

andgar923
11-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Pfft

JimmyMcAdocious
11-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Nique. Maybe Kemp.

Kobe is definitely up there. I'd say better than MJ, tho, I can't remember too many baseline dunks from MJ.

j3lademaster
11-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Kobe's one of the best perimeter game dunkers of all time, period.

SHAQisGOAT
11-01-2014, 07:55 PM
He's one of the very best, yea, with a case for the best.

Back in the day, you know who was one of the players doing the reverse baseline dunk, more than a couple of times - which Kobe has done a lot throughout his career (or similar stuff)?
Larry Bird...

5 of them here (including the one on Rodman and two on Erving), and I'm pretty sure there's more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br8UrvnyO4c

Find it funny because it's pretty unexpected and not many could/will tell.

andgar923
11-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I don't say this lightly.

MJ is the best baseline (all around) player of all time.

From baseline to baseline, no other player was better. Forget about dunking, that's just one aspect, MJ is the best baseline player period.

Cats wanna talk about dunking, MJ is certainly the best dunking wing player.

Like Shaq mentioned, Kobe is in the convo, but that's it.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
11-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Hes one of those weird af MJ nutgobblers

sportjames23
11-01-2014, 08:52 PM

MJ and it ain't close.

These gentlemen are also correct.

IGOTGAME
11-01-2014, 08:54 PM
I don't say this lightly.

MJ is the best baseline (all around) player of all time.

From baseline to baseline, no other player was better. Forget about dunking, that's just one aspect, MJ is the best baseline player period.

Cats wanna talk about dunking, MJ is certainly the best dunking wing player.

Like Shaq mentioned, Kobe is in the convo, but that's it.

that is an entirely different topic. You've just realized that Kobe is better than MJ at this small sliver of the game and can't accept it. That is what i take that post to mean.

Mr. Jabbar
11-01-2014, 09:19 PM
yes. even at 36

andgar923
11-01-2014, 09:22 PM
that is an entirely different topic. You've just realized that Kobe is better than MJ at this small sliver of the game and can't accept it. That is what i take that post to mean.
:lol :lol :lol

Sure... that's exactly it.

:rolleyes:

MJ the better baseline, and all kinds of dunker>>> Kobe