PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild the Lakers in a realistic way that they can compete with Kobe right now.

Upgrayedd
11-02-2014, 01:47 AM
Well, if not exactly right now, what about making trades by the deadline? And I don't even mean contend. Just good enough to at least make it to the playoffs and to the second round.

Who can they trade right now and for who that would make them decent by the end of the season?

It would just suck to see Kobe come back from all of this, play pretty great still and not even make it to the playoffs. He deserves better than that.

AnaheimLakers24
11-02-2014, 01:49 AM
impossible. doubt anyone would trade right now to help lakers.
lakers need to go after marc gasol and westbrook

IncarceratedBob
11-02-2014, 01:52 AM
It's impossible. They could trade Nash's contract and Randle for Rondo. Then they could package their pick with Lins expiring and get someone like Deng from Miami but that's it.

Rondo
Bryant
Deng
Boozer
Hill

Wouldnt make the playoffs and their future is shit

Upgrayedd
11-02-2014, 01:59 AM
I'm glad the Lakers traded Gasol to the Bulls but you would think they would have kept him. They could have had a much better off season than they had. Keep Gasol, sign Deng or Granger, sign someone like DJ Augustin after having that good season for the Bulls last season.

Starting lineup:

C: Gasol
PF: Hill
SF: Deng/Granger
SG: Kobe
PG: Augustin

IncarceratedBob
11-02-2014, 02:05 AM
I'm glad the Lakers traded Gasol to the Bulls but you would think they would have kept him. They could have had a much better off season than they had. Keep Gasol, sign Deng or Granger, sign someone like DJ Augustin after having that good season for the Bulls last season.

Starting lineup:

C: Gasol
PF: Hill
SF: Deng/Granger
SG: Kobe
PG: Augustin
Pointless. Lakers pick is only top 5 protected and that lineup isn't making the playoffs. Pau is soft as shit, he needs a system where his matador D won't be taken advantage of. Deng and Granger are both overrated and aren't really impact players. And DJ Augustin, really bro :rolleyes:

If they were going for a compete now mode they needed to sign Ariza, Isaiah Thomas and Carmelo Anthony.

Hill
Melo
Ariza
Kobe
Thomas

Now we're cooking with gas homie

COnDEMnED
11-02-2014, 02:13 AM
Well, if not exactly right now, what about making trades by the deadline? And I don't even mean contend. Just good enough to at least make it to the playoffs and to the second round.

Who can they trade right now and for who that would make them decent by the end of the season?

It would just suck to see Kobe come back from all of this, play pretty great still and not even make it to the playoffs. He deserves better than that.
This ship sailed at free agency. I DONT understand why we didn't go after Lance Stephenson and Isaiah Thomas. Lamar Odom...as much of a nutcase he is...is a better player than Sacre or Hill. Michael Beasley should have been offered a guaranteed vet min contract. We should have never placed a bid for Carlos Boozer. Trade Lin or let him come off the cap at the end of the year. Trade Nash or let him expire at the end of the year. Wesley Johnson needs to be gone. Henry needs to be gone.

Cocaine80s
11-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Merge with the Clippers

konex
11-02-2014, 02:16 AM
Move Hill's contract with Nash's expiring one to the Nets for Deron. Start Davis with Boozer. Start Nick Young when he comes back.

COnDEMnED
11-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Move Hill's contract with Nash's expiring one to the Nets for Deron. Start Davis with Boozer. Start Nick Young when he comes back.
Doesn't Hill have a no trade clause?

konex
11-02-2014, 02:20 AM
Doesn't Hill have a no trade clause?

Fine, Nash and Lin would also work. Dunno why the Nets would do that though :roll:

TylerOO
11-02-2014, 02:23 AM
Merge with the Clippers

:oldlol: :oldlol:

Combat Wombat
11-02-2014, 02:35 AM
What they SHOULD have done is sign Ariza and offered Hill, Lin + 1st rounder for Bledsoe when the Suns were looking to do a sign and trade.

We could have seen this:

Bledsoe
Bryant
Ariza
Boozer
Davis

Randle
Young
Ellington
Price
Johnson
Another big

But instead, we tried to go all in on Melo and were left with nothing. Well done, Jimmy.

Genaro
11-02-2014, 03:02 AM
They should do nothing right now. Lakers is in a perfect position to secure a top 3 pick, let's not spoil this by going to the playoffs only to lose in the early stages.
Every team in the league goes through rebuilding process. Although the Lakers seems to be the exception, right now it's the best thing. Just suck for 1 more season, get a great pick (perhaps the first) and maybe sign an all star in the off season.

I<3NBA
11-02-2014, 10:01 AM
amnesty Kobe. then everything is possible.

oh wait...

AirFederer
11-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Couldn't contend it with prime Dwight, Pau and Nash.

Kobe would Chuck even the Spurs out of play offs if he joined :lol

Negative impact, but a very efficient negative :bowdown:

ArbitraryWater
11-02-2014, 10:23 AM
I don't think Kobe is championship caliber anymore..

No bullshit, Kobe is still better than a lot of SGs....but the upper echelon SGs gonna kill him on both ends.

Purch
11-02-2014, 10:36 AM
They should do nothing right now. Lakers is in a perfect position to secure a top 3 pick, let's not spoil this by going to the playoffs only to lose in the early stages.
Every team in the league goes through rebuilding process. Although the Lakers seems to be the exception, right now it's the best thing. Just suck for 1 more season, get a great pick (perhaps the first) and maybe sign an all star in the off season.
The Lakers aren't the exception. The Spurs are. They've been a franchise for 46 years and have only missed the playoffs 5 years.

:biggums:

Optimus Prime
11-02-2014, 10:39 AM
It's not realistic that they will compete right now or any time soon. Basketball Reasons and the Dwightmare have decimated the Lakers. Jimmy Buss isn't helping the situation, either.

:kobe:

navy
11-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Merge with the Clippers
:applause:

AI Thornton
11-02-2014, 01:25 PM
I see the Lakers recovering through a combo of the lottery and free agency, not deadline trades at this point.

konex
11-02-2014, 01:28 PM
I don't think Kobe is championship caliber anymore..

No bullshit, Kobe is still better than a lot of SGs....but the upper echelon SGs gonna kill him on both ends.

I would say Klay is upper echelon and he gave it to LA (mostly Wes) but Kobe shit all over him too

AlphaWolf24
11-02-2014, 01:41 PM
all they need is a consistent Center who is capable of finishing at the rim and getting Boards

Honestly this team isn't that bad...they have no interior defense.....when Davis and Hill play well the team looks good.

Nastradamus
11-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Trade Kobe for Hardaway Jr. and Amare. Start over and build around your top 5 pick, the Houston pick you got in the Lin deal, Randle and Hardaway. You have a ton of cap space and you can play around with a few contracts/players like Hill and Young. They should have kept Meeks over Young as he could have been part of a rebuild.

konex
11-02-2014, 02:09 PM
all they need is a consistent Center who is capable of finishing at the rim and getting Boards

Honestly this team isn't that bad...they have no interior defense.....when Davis and Hill play well the team looks good.

They also have zero reliable shooters and no legit PG

EGarrett
11-02-2014, 02:19 PM
I was thinking earlier that it would be really interesting to see Kobe traded to the Pelicans for something like Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon and picks.

Obviously it won't happen, but he'd be teamed up with Asik, Anthony Davis, Tyreke and Jrue Holiday.

CavaliersFTW
11-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Buss family melts down and sells current Lakers roster to Seattle to rename them the Supersonics

Due to legacy/history/fans LA Clippers renamed/fold to become the new LA Lakers, Kobe's contract is for the Lakers not the Supersonics so he takes the Buss family to court about contract dispute to stay in LA and play for the new-Lakers and wins and then wins a title with CP3 and Griffin.

:confusedshrug:

salwan
11-02-2014, 03:00 PM
in the words of jalen rose:

NOT GONNA BE ABLE TO DO IT ! :D

but you are the lakers. you will be back in the playoffs in a couple of years

b0bab0i
11-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Zero, Kobe takes up half your cap and goes heroball every chance he gets.

oh the horror
11-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Zero. Their assets at the moment aren't the type of assets to being in game changers enough to contend. To rebuild in 2 seasons would require cap space + many tradable assets plus picks. Which lakers are thin at the moment in terms of what they would get back. As stated by their front office this will take several seasons.

Genaro
11-02-2014, 03:09 PM
The Lakers aren't the exception. The Spurs are. They've been a franchise for 46 years and have only missed the playoffs 5 years.

Including this season Lakers lost the playoffs 7 times in 67 seasons.
Spurs wasn't a contender before Duncan, Lakers has been a contender almost it's whole existence.

SwishSquared
11-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Trade Kobe for Hardaway Jr. and Amare. Start over and build around your top 5 pick, the Houston pick you got in the Lin deal, Randle and Hardaway. You have a ton of cap space and you can play around with a few contracts/players like Hill and Young. They should have kept Meeks over Young as he could have been part of a rebuild.
I was going to suggest this. Allows LAL to truly bottom out and rebuild.

Get a PG and C in next year's draft, then sign a young perimeter defender with all the cap space they'll have next season. They should have a ton of cap room the next couple years. They could have a super young starting 5 until they can get high caliber FAs.

GimmeThat
11-02-2014, 03:20 PM
get one of the Collins, and sign another guy who they can live with dying by the jumper

Proctor
11-02-2014, 03:37 PM
I said this in a game thread the other night, but can't the Lakers sign somebody that at least knows how to play basketball? I would rather see the Lakers sign a chubby and out of shape Baron Davis or Gilbert Arenas who plays like a 5% shell of their former self than watching Jeremy Lin or Ronnie Price try to run the show. At least a Baron Davis won't be throwing errant and downright stupid passes and can actually run a play without screwing it up too badly. Someone like that might be a liability defensively but so is practically everyone on the Lakers team. They could use help wherever they can get it. It hurts me to say that about Lin and Price because I actually feel that both are fine players. Price isn't a bad 3rd string PG on a team but he is not good enough to be playing 20-30 mins a night. And as far as Lin goes, he should be the one playing the role Price plays now.

I don't mean to specifically target the Lakers PG position, because they need help all over. They need anyone who can score and is not afraid to hoist. Boozer is absolute trash.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-02-2014, 03:42 PM
This was always the plan:

-Trade Kobe to NY for a deal like Amare and Hardaway Jr.
-They let Nash, Lin, Boozer, and Amare walk. Decline Hill's TO.
-Get a high a lottery pick.
-Sign LeBron in 2015, surrounded by Randle, the high lottery pick, Davis, Hardaway, Young, and one year deals.
-Sign Durant and Kobe in 2016.

(someone like)Lou Williams(vet min)/Kobe/Durant/LeBron/Okafor; Hardaway, Young, Randle, Davis bench.

Game over, NBA.

dreamwarrior
11-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Lin and Kelly for Isaiah Thomas. Hill for Sullinger.

Thomas
Kobe
Swaggy P
Randle
Sullinger

outbreak
11-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Lin and Kelly for Isaiah Thomas. Hill for Sullinger.

Thomas
Kobe
Swaggy P
Randle
Sullinger

If we are talking trades that are unrealistic and only benefit one team, why not suggest Hill for Lebron?

fpliii
11-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Not possible. This team is realistically two major, major pieces away from being relevant in any meaningful way.

StephHamann
11-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Not possible. This team is realistically two major, major pieces away from being relevant in any meaningful way.

Two?

From top (Owner, GM) to bottom the franchise needs changes to win anything