PDA

View Full Version : True/False: Anxiety is only possible because of ego?

russwest0
11-03-2014, 12:02 AM
...well?

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Ego is a word/concept that man made up. You're boxing yourself in by thinking anxiety is caused by "ego".

Now i'm sure some buddist like Zen will come in and give you some nonsense on how reducing the ego leads to a better quality life, but my point is that the entire concept of ego is man made. Go deeper my friends...

GimmeThat
11-03-2014, 12:18 AM
anytime you are holding on to something

it gives anxiety the element in which it needs to survive

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:20 AM

Dawg this is the second post in a row where i don't understand a god damn thing you wrote. Please proofread your posts.

GimmeThat
11-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Dawg this is the second post in a row where i don't understand a god damn thing you wrote. Please proofread your posts.

"BigBoss"

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:29 AM
"BigBoss"

https://31.media.tumblr.com/ec20453f1ef5db8efd35078425c4e9a6/tumblr_mj3zapH3mh1qjczh3o4_500.gif

oh the horror
11-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Ego might be the thing causing a person to hang into something that's the underlying reason for the anxiety perhaps.

GimmeThat
11-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Ego might be the thing causing a person to hang into something that's the underlying reason for the anxiety perhaps.

and that of honor?

edit - to defend something.?

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:40 AM
What if anxiety is an illusion and what you're experiencing is entirely normal and part of being a human. What if some people are just not doing what they need to do be doing in their lifes and are interpreting it as anxiety(/depression)

SexSymbol
11-03-2014, 12:50 AM
What if love is an illusion and in reality it's just your lust for a woman's breasts?

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 01:03 AM
What if love is an illusion and in reality its your evolutionary instinct to find a partner to reproduce with?

Fixed. Do you disagree?

KNOW1EDGE
11-03-2014, 01:13 AM
No.

Ego is not a real thing. It's a made up word and idea.

Anxiety is a real thing.

GimmeThat
11-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Fixed. Do you disagree?

love is an illusion as much as not knowing what the next chapter of your life may take you.

as for the evolutionary instinct to find a partner to reproduce

to let love be part of one of the many diverse emotion

Budadiiii
11-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Fixed. Do you disagree?
It's the same thing, in different words.

When I **** your mom, it is my lust for her tits and evolutionary instinct to reproduce with a partner.

Your Indian mother has the most gorgeous dark brown titties, and they jiggle so comfortably on my upper thigh as she sucks my cawk. :D

nathanjizzle
11-03-2014, 01:24 AM
anxiety comes from having your weakness or your difference from normal exposed to people. learn to realize that you are different and weak but also everyone else is as well, and you fit right in.

GimmeThat
11-03-2014, 01:31 AM
What if anxiety is an illusion and what you're experiencing is entirely normal and part of being a human. What if some people are just not doing what they need to do be doing in their lifes and are interpreting it as anxiety(/depression)

sometimes anxiety could just be contraction.

and love,

is an ocean wide.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 01:34 AM
love is an illusion as much as not knowing what the next chapter of your life may take you.

as for the evolutionary instinct to find a partner to reproduce

to let love be part of one of the many diverse emotion

DUDE put the bong down and try to make some sense. Thats 3 posts in a row.

Swaggin916
11-03-2014, 04:21 AM

I will say there is truth to this. The thing is, most people have anxiety over things that aren't survival based though... the mind creates it however because of laziness and old programming. Although I hate my anxiety, I personally feel like it's one of the things that keeps me going. It makes things actually matter.

Is anything worth hanging on to? I don't think there is. Can I survive with that attitude though? No I can't.

Jailblazers7
11-03-2014, 08:30 AM
No.

Ego is not a real thing. It's a made up word and idea.

Anxiety is a real thing.

Well this is stupid. The word/idea of ego was made up to describe a real thing. Just like the word anxiety was made up to describe a real thing.

DonD13
11-03-2014, 08:58 AM
as my man Lao-Tzu said:

If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.

~primetime~
11-03-2014, 10:09 AM
You would get a ton of anxiety by drinking a pot off coffee and smoking a pack of cigarettes.

Or drinking a 6-pack of energy drinks

Completely unrelated to ego

Thorpesaurous
11-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Survival was the first thing that came to mind for me too. But I guess the real question is what are the various motivations for success and failure. If the implication is that the only cause of for anxiety is success and failure, and if the only motive for success and failure is ego, then I suppose you could make a case that is true. But survival was the first other thing that popped into my mind. And I'm sure there are more.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Ego doesn't exist?

Have any of you f*cktards ever taken a psychology class or have you ever been in the presence of someone with an inflated ego?

It most certainly exists.

RidonKs
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
"anxiety is only possible because of ego"
"anxiety is possible because of ego"
"anxiety is possible only because of ego"

ego ego anxiety ego anxiety anxiety anxiety ego ego anxiety ego ego ego ego anxiety ego ego anxiety anxiety anxiety anxiety ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego

anxiety

~primetime~
11-03-2014, 04:18 PM
"anxiety is only possible because of ego"
"anxiety is possible because of ego"
"anxiety is possible only because of ego"

ego ego anxiety ego anxiety anxiety anxiety ego ego anxiety ego ego ego ego anxiety ego ego anxiety anxiety anxiety anxiety ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego

anxiety
http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2013/05/14/827/n/1922441/f12057720d01d953_tumblr_inline_mjd6ivlJTB1qz4rgp.x xxlarge/i/You-cant-hide-your-anxiety.gif

ace23
11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Which definition of ego and what type of anxiety?

TryToBeUnbias
11-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Trauma can be a strong source of anxiety so I'd say no...

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Ego doesn't exist?

Have any of you f*cktards ever taken a psychology class or have you ever been in the presence of someone with an inflated ego?

It most certainly exists.

Its a pseudo-science. Your asking the wrong questions. What is ego?

ace23
11-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Its a pseudo-science.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 07:49 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

It is. The father of psychoonalysis/psychology, Sigmund Freud, came up with his findings while high on cocaine. Psychology has led to big pharm and the shift to taking medication to deal with mental issues. It's rubbish. It's a pseudo science. Who are YOU to tell me how i'm feeling? How can that objectively be understood. Science requires objectivity, therefore psychology is a pseudo science.

Fun fact. Did you know that John F Kennedy's little sister Rosemary was lobotimized and sent to a psychiatric ward for the rest of her life in secret so she wouldn't ruin her family's reputation? Guess who advised the lobotomy? Psychologists. Who are you to say that in JUST 50 years the discipline has standardized itself to being a legitimate science? it hasn't. it's so naive to think that. Mental health is subjective and complex.

ace23
11-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Who are YOU to tell me how i'm feeling? How can that objectively be understood. Science requires objecivity, therefore psychology is a pseudo science.
Brilliant.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Brilliant.

Either debate this with me or take the L.

But sounds like you don't really have shit to say :roll:

ace23
11-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Either debate this with me or take the L
Lol ok make your claim, back it up and I'll do my best.

If this is it,
It's a pseudo science. Who are YOU to tell me how i'm feeling? How can that objectively be understood. Science requires objectivity, therefore psychology is a pseudo science.

my reply is that psychology does not aim to tell BigBoss how he is feeling.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Lol ok make your claim, back it up and I'll do my best.

If this is it,

my reply is that psychology is not the study of how BigBoss is feeling.

Okay example 1 and try and follow:

Jan caused an incident at her college that prompted faculty to alert the authorities. The authorities came to the conclusion that Jan was not mentally stable and instead of arresting her sent her to a psychiatric ward for 48 hour evaluation.

Jan was exhibiting signs of paranoia/delusional thoughts and hyperactivity.

Dr. Smith a psychiatrist who after observation came to the conclusion that she possessed symptoms of schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder. He prescribed her Trilafon and Haldol, Lithium for bipolar disorder. Xanax to calm her moods while she was released to her parents to go home.

Jan was then placed on a treatment regiment where she consumed said medication daily.

Jan's behavior changed in subsequent months in that she showed lack of motivation, involuntary muscle movements, and lack of enthusiasm with life.

Her parents were concerned so they reduced the medication. This led to Jan having a nervous breakdown and being sent back to a psychiatric hospital, where her medication dosage was now doubled.

Her medical bills doubled.

Big Pharm a $300 billion dollar capitolizes, an industry that is part of a countries economic infrastructure.

Meanwhile, Jan never had schizophrenia. She had signs of post traumatic stress disorder that was undiagnosed and anxiety/depression, but her brain is now so chemically imbalanced and her bodies homeostasis altered from the meds that she will need to be on it for the rest of her life. She's not off Haldol and Trilafon, but is taking Zoloft and and Nardil. This is her life now.

There is so much interlap in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders ( DSM-IV) that misdiagnosis happens a lot, but is swept under the rug due to economic, political, and now social benefits of BIG PHARM.

In a science experiment, let's say finding the vaccine to eradicate Polio, which we did in the 1960;s. THAT is scientific. You either eliminate the disease or you don't.

How can you scientifically determine if someone has a mental disorder, and THAT mental disorder is universal. Is depression really the same between two people and can be treated with the same drug? Signmund Freud once thought cocaine was the cure to depression until he picked up a habit. Why resort to medication? Because psychology is "scientific" and because its scientific its right? LOL

Every single one field of psychology; biological, psychosocial, and environmental makeup have to be taken into consideration. With abnormal, there is a neurological component as well. Psychology is multidisciplinary and the mind is to complex. It fundamentally is not science, but rather a pseudo science. Psychology is headed in the wrong direction and is influenced heavily by big Pharm in regards to diagnosing how the hell i'm feeling or what is going on in my head it's a pseudoscience. It lacks objectivity. And I much prefer holistic healing and ancient traditions approach to mental health. How is the concept of chakras ANY less scientific than what psychologists have found? Anyway take your ball and go home fakkit

ace23
11-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Yeah, an ability to misdiagnose a disorder does not make the whole field of study a pseudo science.

Peace.

Richesly
11-03-2014, 08:28 PM
as my man Lao-Tzu said:

If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Lao-Tzu sounds like a dumb ass.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah, an ability to misdiagnose a disorder does not make the whole field of study a pseudo science.

Peace.

Yep that's right. Take your ball and go home fakkit.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Lao-Tzu sounds like a dumb ass.

Lao tzu is wise

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power" :pimp:

K Xerxes
11-03-2014, 08:53 PM
It is. The father of psychoonalysis/psychology, Sigmund Freud, came up with his findings while high on cocaine. Psychology has led to big pharm and the shift to taking medication to deal with mental issues. It's rubbish. It's a pseudo science. Who are YOU to tell me how i'm feeling? How can that objectively be understood. Science requires objectivity, therefore psychology is a pseudo science.

Fun fact. Did you know that John F Kennedy's little sister Rosemary was lobotimized and sent to a psychiatric ward for the rest of her life in secret so she wouldn't ruin her family's reputation? Guess who advised the lobotomy? Psychologists. Who are you to say that in JUST 50 years the discipline has standardized itself to being a legitimate science? it hasn't. it's so naive to think that. Mental health is subjective and complex.

It's certainly not rubbish. The medical field has been undergoing a subtle - yet hugely important - shift from a biological POV of patients to a more patient centred one (biopsychosocial). Treatments work not only because of their active properties, but also how the body responds to them. Patients' feelings and mood can be incredibly important in the success of a treatment. The placebo effect. The nocebo effect. These are just a couple of many important psychological factors that must be considered when developing a drug or treating a patient. Not to mention that the feeling of (non-physiological) stress observably impacts physiological mechanisms such as the immune system (inflammation etc).

Doctors are being trained more and more to explore patients' feelings and concerns about illnesses/medications rather than a blanket diagnosis based on medical knowledge. Patients ideas, concerns and expectations are a big part of the framework you are given for how to structure a consultation, even as a first year medical student.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 09:02 PM
It's certainly not rubbish. The medical field has been undergoing a subtle - yet hugely important - shift from a biological POV of patients to a more patient centred one (biopsychosocial). Treatments work not only because of their active properties, but also how the body responds to them. Patients' feelings and mood can be incredibly important in the success of a treatment. The placebo effect. The nocebo effect. These are just a couple of many important psychological factors that must be considered when developing a drug or treating a patient. Not to mention that the feeling of (non-physiological) stress observably impacts physiological mechanisms such as the immune system (inflammation etc).

Doctors are being trained more and more to explore patients' feelings and concerns about illnesses/medications rather than a blanket diagnosis based on medical knowledge. Patients ideas, concerns and expectations are a big part of the framework you are given for how to structure a consultation, even as a first year medical student.

That sounds great and don't get me wrong modern medicine/therapy is effective, but i'm still concerned that we live in a society where psychoactive medication from the findings of the "science" of psychology, is the default solution to deal with mental issues, whereas alternative/natural healing (meditation, diets, yoga) is now mocked and categorized as "hippie". How much does big pharm and economics play in this? Why have we strayed? Where are we headed with this?

ILLsmak
11-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Lao tzu is wise

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power" :pimp:

Anxiety is real obviously. Some is future living, some is hypersensitivity, and others can be legit fears. Death causes anxiety. Many people when on a narrow ledge would feel anxiety that they could die. I have felt every anxiety. Social anxiety is the same as the others excepting you can remind yourself "I'm not going to die."

Is perfectionism ego? Your question is too vague I think. I am sure some anxiety is related to someone's egotism (which seems to be how you're using it.) Altho super narcissistic people tend to have less anxiety. So, maybe this... there are different egos. There is a self ego which can be inflated, but its arguable whether after a certain point it becomes a persona ego. People with personas are not as anxious.

So some people care about how they are perceived. All people, I suppose. But there are other anxieties that stem from knowing how fragile everything is. That is, if you care about everyone being happy you'd feel anxiety before each action. The more complex your goals, the more variables, the more anxieties you have.

-Smak

BigBoss
11-04-2014, 02:01 AM
*** it

Swaggin916
11-04-2014, 03:02 AM
You would get a ton of anxiety by drinking a pot off coffee and smoking a pack of cigarettes.

Or drinking a 6-pack of energy drinks

Completely unrelated to ego

I don't agree with that statement. It's kind of like saying taking an ounce of mushrooms won't kill your ego because it's a substance that is causing it... but ego is influenced all the time and can change from minute to minute, situation to situation, so why should a substance not count? (Just like cocaine/meth/other form of speed might inflate your ego and make you feel better about yourself). I mean of course it's only a temporary feeling, but it could the experience not change one's ego a bit? I think it's all relevant man.

GimmeThat
11-04-2014, 06:20 AM
all I know is that,

you point a gun at someone the first time, anxiety probably happens
you point a gun at someone a few more times,

at some point the guy might just go right at ya.

or you know, he becomes peaceful with the fact about it.

ego :confusedshrug:

BigBoss
11-04-2014, 08:28 PM
all I know is that,

you point a gun at someone the first time, anxiety probably happens
you point a gun at someone a few more times,

at some point the guy might just go right at ya.

or you know, he becomes peaceful with the fact about it.

ego :confusedshrug:

:whatever:

Dresta
11-04-2014, 08:53 PM
The answer to this question is obviously false. Anxiety can be related to consciousness, but it can often be an unconscious physiological response. I would think most mammals experience some form of anxiety as part of the fight or flight response, and some people's brains simply get stuck on that setting (to put it crudely). You could likely stimulate a part of the brain and produce anxiety, just as can be done with the orgasm. Think how drugs can result in negative side-effects; well, some people feel similar to the paranoia produced by weed or cocaine, but all or most of the time.

JEFFERSON MONEY
11-04-2014, 10:22 PM
...... wtf anxiety a close cousin of fear a response of the ego?

Maybe a specific social anxiety from what others think of u but that's only a piece of the ouzzle

jaybee682
11-04-2014, 10:41 PM
I think anxiety is anticipating bad things to happen over and over.

Swaggin916
11-05-2014, 01:10 AM
The answer to this question is obviously false. Anxiety can be related to consciousness, but it can often be an unconscious physiological response. I would think most mammals experience some form of anxiety as part of the fight or flight response, and some people's brains simply get stuck on that setting (to put it crudely). You could likely stimulate a part of the brain and produce anxiety, just as can be done with the orgasm. Think how drugs can result in negative side-effects; well, some people feel similar to the paranoia produced by weed or cocaine, but all or most of the time.

Right... Even some of (if not all) the conscious anxiety is due to those unconscious responses. If I'm anxious about giving a presentation, is that really conscious? Or is that awareness of an unconscious response that will happen? I mean we can try to psych ourselves out of things, or change our attitude about situations, that's conscious... but that response will be there no matter what it's just how you channel it. Of course like the gun to the head thing, the response might lessen over time due to constant exposure... but for someone like me who has a stutter, that response is consistently there when speaking (especially people who don't know). It's never gone away.