PDA

View Full Version : Who here has a Mac?

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:27 AM
I'm thinking of buying a Macbook Pro. Any reviews? Whats the biggest difference between Mac's and PC?

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 12:29 AM
Whats the biggest difference between Mac's and PC?

About 500-1,000 dollars.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:33 AM
About 500-1,000 dollars.

No shit.

p.s. you look like Chris Kaman's little sister

Do any of you broke azzes have a Mac?

Crystallas
11-03-2014, 12:38 AM
You can join the club.

http://i.imgur.com/E3ez3ND.jpg

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:43 AM
You can join the club.

http://i.imgur.com/E3ez3ND.jpg

:violin:

YouGotServed
11-03-2014, 12:44 AM
No shit.

lmfao

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 12:46 AM
No shit.

I have no idea what you look like because you're an internet bitch-*****.

I'm sure there are plenty of dumb-asses on this site who got their mom to buy them macbooks.

SexSymbol
11-03-2014, 12:49 AM
only ******s own macs

ALBballer
11-03-2014, 12:52 AM
I have a Macbook Air. It's a nice machine and unless you are a gamer you won't feel limited by the OS.

Top quality ultrabooks and MBA are similar in price. People complaining about the price of a Macbook are usually comparing low end model models to Macbooks.

PullupJay
11-03-2014, 12:54 AM
http://imgur.com/25lrv.gif

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:56 AM
I have a Macbook Air. It's a nice machine and unless you are a gamer you won't feel limited by the OS.

Top quality ultrabooks and MBA are similar in price. People complaining about the price of a Macbook are usually comparing low end model models to Macbooks.

I'm not a gamer at all. It would strictly be for internet, schoolwork, and photography. Do macs slow down? Get glitchy? Etc like every windows laptop/pc.

Cocaine80s
11-03-2014, 12:56 AM
I have no idea what you look like because you're an internet bitch-*****.

I'm sure there are plenty of dumb-asses on this site who got their mom to buy them macbooks.
dude is some ugly ass philipino/mexican lol

Lebron23 exposed him already

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 12:59 AM

This.

It is about cheap ass fools who buy cheap computers and then compare to Macs. Macs are high end products.

There are also high end PC computers and nobody complains about them.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 12:59 AM
dude is some ugly ass philipino/mexican lol

Lebron23 exposed him already

I saw "Cocaine80s posted in this thread" and was thinking what can his broke azz possibly contribute to this thread :roll:

Cocaine80s
11-03-2014, 01:02 AM

I saw "Cocaine80s posted in this thread" and was thinking what can his broke azz possibly contribute to this thread :roll:
shook

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 01:05 AM
shook

Your high AF

Cocaine80s
11-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Your high AF
#rentfree

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 01:13 AM
#rentfree

In your mothers house

Quizno
11-03-2014, 01:29 AM
No shit.

LMFAOOOOO :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

GimmeThat
11-03-2014, 01:38 AM
it's sort of the same story

if you're a collector of computers, you're a Mac user

if you're a collector of computer components, you prefer a PC

nathanjizzle
11-03-2014, 01:48 AM
macs are cool, but they are for people that want to feel relevant. windows is still the better OS. same with phones. want to be cool and relevant, go with iphone. want to not give a **** and be badass, go with android.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 01:51 AM
macs are cool, but they are for people that want to feel relevant. windows is still the better OS. same with phones. want to be cool and relevant, go with iphone. want to not give a **** and be badass, go with android.

I don't get this attitude about Mac's. A Mac is more durable and user friendly. I'm tired of laptop's not performing well after a couple years.

GimmeThat
11-03-2014, 02:01 AM
I don't get this attitude about Mac's. A Mac is more durable and user friendly. I'm tired of laptop's not performing well after a couple years.

I'll keep my U.S.S. enterprise, thank you very much

plowking
11-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Why not get a cheaper PC with similar or better specs, and just install Mac software on it?

Unless you really like the look of Macs and want to pay $500-$1000 more.

ROCSteady
11-03-2014, 02:13 AM
I think macmac uses a mac

Nanners
11-03-2014, 02:49 AM
i have a macbook pro with retina display and its probably the nicest computer i have ever owned. i have had a lot of computers over the years, and in my opinion there is no other manufacturer that is remotely close to apple terms of durability and build quality. i do think my mac was a total waste of money in the same sense that a luxury car is a waste of money - a honda can take you anywhere that a bmw can take you after all, but a bmw will be a more enjoyable ride than a honda. i also have a high end windows desktop that I built myself, so its not like i am some apple fanboy.

Bless Mathews
11-03-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm not a gamer at all. It would strictly be for internet, schoolwork, and photography. Do macs slow down? Get glitchy? Etc like every windows laptop/pc.

Macs are smooth as silk bruh.

That's always been their strength.

I'm an audio guy. EVERY Professional studio runs macs because of this. They handle real world applications better, faster and smoother. Without crashing.

Just overall cleaner, more user friendly.

I guarantee if you get one, then after about a few months go back on a PC , you'll say "damn, this PC is a piece of shit"

Guaranteed.

Once you go mac, you don't go back.

Bless Mathews
11-03-2014, 03:15 AM

Jealous crackers gonna crack.

Dats all.

Im Still Ballin
11-03-2014, 03:47 AM
Mark Morrison has a mac.

Bandito
11-03-2014, 06:28 AM
They do but not as bad as a Windows/PC because I believe Mac does everything for you automatically, whereas you have to do everything for PC. And MAc's are more secure because nobody cares to do viruses for mac's. If you have the money and you don't care for games just buy a mac.

fiddy
11-03-2014, 07:16 AM
They do but not as bad as a Windows/PC because I believe Mac does everything for you automatically, whereas you have to do everything for PC. And MAc's are more secure because nobody cares to do viruses for mac's. If you have the money and you don't care for games just buy a mac.
Hackers have been paying more attention to Macs recently. And it will only get worse

i have a macbook pro with retina display and its probably the nicest computer i have ever owned. i have had a lot of computers over the years, and in my opinion there is no other manufacturer that is remotely close to apple terms of durability and build quality. i do think my mac was a total waste of money in the same sense that a luxury car is a waste of money - a honda can take you anywhere that a bmw can take you after all, but a bmw will be a more enjoyable ride than a honda. i also have a high end windows desktop that I built myself, so its not like i am some apple fanboy.
Hahhahahahah

15‑inch starts at $2099

Talk about dumb clueless consumers. I can build two i7 configs with that type of money.

Random_Guy
11-03-2014, 07:18 AM
imho unless you have specific use, just go for the macbook air.
I use the macbook air and seriously for those who just use the computer for limited purposes this is a great notebook to have.

DukeDelonte13
11-03-2014, 07:57 AM
macs aren't just more secure because "nobody makes viruses for them" they are inherently more secure because the OS requires far more user permissions for anything to happen with the computer.

I own a mac mini for my office and a macbook air for work and personal use. I paid 475$ for my mini. My air was 1k.

If you wanna game go with a PC, if you want bullet proof reliability/stability go with a Mac.

I didn't buy a mac to be fashionable, i didn't want to shell out money for a computer with an OS that's universally disparaged, (win 8) buggy, and prone to malware. Also i don't play games on my computer and I could really care less about upgrading my video card or something like that in the future.

Draz
11-03-2014, 08:26 AM
in all honesty if that's all you're using it for then why spend that much. unless you have to money go for it.

ALBballer
11-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Mine hasn't and it's a 2011 model.

ALBballer
11-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Why not get a cheaper PC with similar or better specs, and just install Mac software on it?

Unless you really like the look of Macs and want to pay $500-$1000 more.

Hackintosh is a pain in the ass from what I hAve read.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Hackintosh is a pain in the ass from what I hAve read.
They are.

If you're on the fence about OS preference, you can easily triple boot on a Mac. Macs are known to also be the best windpcs.

ROCSteady
11-03-2014, 11:21 AM
I have a MacBook but haven't really done any maintenance on it since I've bought it.

Any good ways to have it run better/more efficiently and cleaning up some of the junk that goes with coming across sketchy websites over the past 1.5 years?

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 11:42 AM
If you want to know the difference between Mac and PC. Just imagine a PC, and then remove all the customization, functionality, and performance that makes them great. Then add 1,000 to the price. There, now you have a mac.

My last gen OC'd i5 will smoke any mac and all you need is Avast and a brain to match it on the rest.

rezznor
11-03-2014, 12:27 PM
I guarantee if you get one, then after about a few months go back on a PC , you'll say "damn, this PC is a piece of shit"

Guaranteed.

Once you go mac, you don't go back.

not in my case. had a mba. used osx for about 9 months and could not stand it. installed windows 7 and all was right with the world again.

Nanners
11-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Hahhahahahah

15‑inch starts at $2099

Talk about dumb clueless consumers. I can build two i7 configs with that type of money.

i dont understand this attitude at all :oldlol:

do you also go around saying "mercedes starts at $35k, I can get two hondas with that type of money. talk about dumb clueless consumers."

mac is a luxury item, and luxury items like expensive cars or expensive clothing or expensive headphones or a expensive watches are ALL wastes of money.

dannywpt
11-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I have a MacBook Air, and I'm super happy with it. Go for it. You don't need Pro unless you frequently play games or run much heavier programs (3d editing and stuff)

kamil
11-03-2014, 02:42 PM

do you also go around saying "mercedes starts at $35k, I can get two hondas with that type of money. talk about dumb clueless consumers."

mac is a luxury item, and luxury items like expensive cars or expensive clothing or expensive headphones or a expensive watches are ALL wastes of money.

It's because the performance is actually subpar on the Mac (as with most apple products). You're not really paying for the luxury of having a mac, in reality the 'apple tax' is more so about Mac OS (windows is a headache and a joke). What youre really paying for is the OS's reliability. Granted the build quality on the MacBook is significantly better... however airflow is garbage, thus the high number of failures of MPB's with dedicated graphics cards.

Overpriced as it may be, the real thing you should mock MPB buyers is over the fact that the RAM is soldered, battery is GLUED and SSD drives use a proprietary connector. That's where Apple fails HARD... the locked down nature of their devices is disgusting.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Lol that's not an analogous situation.

In this case, the PC is the Mercedes and the Mac is a really nice Honda. Although, imagine if your MacHonda's carburetor broke and you found out you can't replace it, and you need to buy a new MacHonda.

Nanners
11-03-2014, 03:14 PM
It's because the performance is actually subpar on the Mac (as with most apple products). You're not really paying for the luxury of having a mac, in reality the 'apple tax' is more so about Mac OS (windows is a headache and a joke). What youre really paying for is the OS's reliability. Granted the build quality on the MacBook is significantly better... however airflow is garbage, thus the high number of failures of MPB's with dedicated graphics cards.

Overpriced as it may be, the real thing you should mock MPB buyers is over the fact that the RAM is soldered, battery is GLUED and SSD drives use a proprietary connector. That's where Apple fails HARD... the locked down nature of their devices is disgusting.

lol.

"the performance of the mercedes is actually subpar compared to my honda. granted the mercedes is more reliable and has better build quality, but airflow on my honda is way better so the engine lasts longer. also i can upgrade my civic with a type-r engine that bolts right in place, the mercedes is so locked down you cant even swap out the engine out, which is why it fails HARD"

kamil
11-03-2014, 03:15 PM
lol.

"the performance of the mercedes is actually subpar compared to my honda. granted the mercedes is more reliable and has better build quality, but airflow on my honda is way better so the engine lasts longer. also i can upgrade my civic with a type-r engine that bolts right in place, the mercedes is so locked down you cant even swap out the engine out, which is why it fails HARD"

Comparing cars to laptops/desktops is stupid.

Nanners
11-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Comparing cars to laptops/desktops is stupid.

no it makes perfect sense really.

if a mac is a complete waste of money, then a luxury car is a complete waste of money.

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Get the Mac. They are hands down better than PC. I have owned many of both brands and the ones that take a crap are the PC. They are so vulnerable to pop ups and crashing. Ctrl Alt Delete is something you need to familiar yourself with when dealing with a PC.

I can understand the debate of iPhone vs Droid but in this instance there is no debate. Anyone that knows anything about computers will tell you to get a Mac.

All I see is people bringing up price, does that make a Benz being crap. Just face it, if you trash Mac than you probably can't afford one.

kamil
11-03-2014, 03:27 PM
no it makes perfect sense really.

if a mac is a complete waste of money, then a luxury car is a complete waste of money.

Define luxury for a computer.

Nanners
11-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Define luxury for a computer.

high end components and high build quality.... the same thing it is for a car really.

ArbitraryWater
11-03-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm actually looking to buy a Laptop right now, but Mac is out of my price range.

kamil
11-03-2014, 03:37 PM
high end components and high build quality.... the same thing it is for a car really.

Yeah? Then why are the macs always gimped with slower components? Seems like the slower Honda performs faster than the Mercedes. Which is why this whole car analogy is moot. I can get a better laptop (faster CPU, more RAM that isn't soldered, etc) for less. So where does the 'luxury' come in?

Nanners
11-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Yeah? Then why are the macs always gimped with slower components? Seems like the slower Honda performs faster than the Mercedes. Which is why this whole car analogy is moot. I can get a better laptop (faster CPU, more RAM that isn't soldered, etc) for less. So where does the 'luxury' come in?

:oldlol:

"i can get a ford with more horsepower than a mercedes for less, so how is mercedes a 'luxury' car? where does the 'luxury' come in?"

andgar923
11-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Wrong.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook-ibook-macbook/

The yellow is just your opinion.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 04:01 PM
To the OP ....

Don't listen to the naysayers, just go ahead and get a Macbook. You have 30 days to try it out, if it's not for you then just return it.

If you don't like the OS but like the hardware, just run Windows or Linux on it since it's a breeze to triple boot. You can have the best of all worlds.

arkain
11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't understand this argument towards reliability for Macs. It doesn't get pop-ups, viruses, etc. Unless you're an idiot, by now you should know how to take care of a laptop's software and hardware, especially if you're willing to fork out thousands of dollars on it.

I would have loved a simple and durable laptop when I was handling my laptop like an idiot when I was younger. But now I know how to take care of it so why pay a premium for things I know are now possible with minimal time and money. I'd buy a mac for my mom, but it just feels like a waste of money if I was to buy it for myself.

My point being, if you know how to take care of a laptop (not hard anymore with the resources available) you should find one with the specs you need regardless of brand name and save your money.

kamil
11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
:oldlol:

"i can get a ford with more horsepower than a mercedes for less, so how is mercedes a 'luxury' car? where does the 'luxury' come in?"

Sigh, you're hopeless. You know nothing about cars or computers.

DukeDelonte13
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Another thing I like about Macs is that their OS is designed around very specific hardware, rather than PC which can more or less run on just about anything. It's a double-edged sword, it can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

The issue with cheaper pc laptops and all in ones is that less than scrupulous manufacturers will put in components that over time will just straight up fail or don't necessarily mesh perfectly.

My wife's HP laptop's motherboard gradually warped from regular use rendering the computer useless. It was a common problem that effected thousands of her model of laptop.

kamil
11-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Wrong.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook-ibook-macbook/

The yellow is just your opinion.

All new 'retina' macbooks have soldered ram and glued batteries. 2.5" drives are no longer present as now the SSD drives use a proprietary port. Stop defending apple.

kamil
11-03-2014, 04:15 PM
The issue with cheaper pc laptops and all in ones is that less than scrupulous manufacturers will put in components that over time will just straight up fail or don't necessarily mesh perfectly.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/28/macbook-pro-2011-graphics-lawsuit/

Apple (sometimes) uses shitty parts too. Lousy airflow, all aluminum unibody case with lead-free soldering all contributes to the really high temperatures in the macbooks.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 04:20 PM
The components are no different or better in a Mac. That's why it's the ultimate con for people who don't know shit about computers.

I can build something twice as good for half the cost.

Nanners
11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
"i can build a car thats twice as good as a bmw for half the cost. you fvckin sheeple nerds dont know shit about cars like i do."

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 04:24 PM
The components are no different or better in a Mac. That's why it's the ultimate con for people who don't know shit about computers.

Can you build their superior IOS or build that sleek form factor? There is more to a computer than nuts and bolts, or in this case, chips and boards.

Rose
11-03-2014, 04:25 PM
All new 'retina' macbooks have soldered ram and glued batteries. 2.5" drives are no longer present as now the SSD drives use a proprietary port. Stop defending apple.
I don't know where you got that. Batteries (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/macbook-air-faq/macbook-air-battery-replacement-instructions.html) aren't glued. And you can replace/upgrade the SSD fairly easily. I'm actually about to upgrade mine actually.

You're right on the ram though, which is something I hate but oh well.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Macbook Pro. Any reviews? Whats the biggest difference between Mac's and PC?

I had a MacBook Pro 2011 and recently switched it for a PC.

The Mac has two noteworthy edges over the PC right now and thats

1. The OS is far better
2. The trackpad on their laptops is amazing and works amazing within the OS

other than that PC wins in terms of value, production, software, gaming, internet, etc

Nanners
11-03-2014, 04:28 PM
someone find me a pc laptop that has an i7, a dedicated graphics card, a ssd, and a 2880x1800 display in a slim and durable shell for less than $2000

andgar923
11-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Specify.

Yeah.. it sucks not being able to upgrade, not gonna defend that.

But they still make arguably the best laptops.

Don't take my word for it, go to just about any tech site and reviews and they'll echo the same opinion.

DukeDelonte13
11-03-2014, 04:30 PM

no they aren't better, but their OS utilizes resources more efficiently. You can build a computer that can play games better than a mac can but you aren't going to build one that's going to be as reliable and stable.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 04:33 PM
someone find me a pc laptop that has an i7, a dedicated graphics card, a ssd, and a 2880x1800 display in a slim and durable shell for less than $2000

not hard at all.

my pc costed me 1200 and it has

i7 processor
ssd
3200x1800 display
8gb ddr3 ram
soft rubber coating
hinge that allows the screen to flip all the way around into a tablet
touchscreen

etc.

macs are overpriced. no way around it.

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 04:33 PM
What I like about Macs are their sick ass desktops.

In this day and age, I never thought I wanted another desktop till I helped friend get her new Mac desktop. So sick.

The computer unit is built right into the monitor. Keyboard and mouse is wireless. You can move that shit around the house with ease depending on your mood and where you want to work. Touchpad is very nice.

Nothing beats a Mac.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 04:34 PM
If you're going to pay a lot for a laptop, just buy an ASUS that is loaded with specs.

You'll get so much more than you'd get from the same cost of getting a mac.

dazzer87
11-03-2014, 04:38 PM
i have a mac pro retina build quality is amazing. Battery life is great (getting about 7 hours). Mouse pad is probably the best ive ever used on a notebook. OSX is overrated. Coming from windows 7 i read that OSX was 10 better than Window. Its not, I get alot of locked up on finder and chrome. I am running Yosemite right now. With Yosemite my Samba issue with my windows server is resolved (no more timing out). Now chrome is locking up after the notebook is coming out of a sleep mode......:facepalm

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 04:38 PM
no they aren't better, but their OS utilizes resources more efficiently. You can build a computer that can play games better than a mac can but you aren't going to build one that's going to be as reliable and stable.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I can build one more reliable and more stable with better components at a lower cost. There's no denying this. It's a fact.

Macs are for artists (even that's debatable these days) and people who don't know shit about computers but want some false sense of performance or hipness.

It's a high end computer with training wheels for idiots who don't know what they're doing.

Nanners
11-03-2014, 04:39 PM
not hard at all.

i7 processor
ssd
3200x1800 display
8gb ddr3 ram
soft rubber coating
touchscreen

etc.

soft rubber coating and a screen that flips around... i got that same computer for my nephew

http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/164123-kid_laptop_original.jpg

kamil
11-03-2014, 04:54 PM
soft rubber coating and a screen that flips around... i got that same computer for my nephew

http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/164123-kid_laptop_original.jpg

Wow, trying to turn the tables around on an old internet meme that made Macs look like playskool toys?

http://xaharts.org/funny/i/mac_win_linux_perceptions-s.jpg

kamil
11-03-2014, 04:55 PM
If you're going to pay a lot for a laptop, just buy an ASUS that is loaded with specs.

You'll get so much more than you'd get from the same cost of getting a mac.

Performance wise, hell yes. The specs on those are > than those on any macbook... the problem is that you're still running Windows, lol.

bigkingsfan
11-03-2014, 04:57 PM
not hard at all.

i7 processor
ssd
3200x1800 display
8gb ddr3 ram
soft rubber coating
touchscreen

etc.

Sounds like the Yoga 3 Pro, they don't make those in 15" or any that comes with dedicated graphics
You can also get a Macbook pro 13" for $1200 or less

kamil
11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't know where you got that. Batteries (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/macbook-air-faq/macbook-air-battery-replacement-instructions.html) aren't glued. And you can replace/upgrade the SSD fairly easily. I'm actually about to upgrade mine actually.

You're right on the ram though, which is something I hate but oh well.

MacBook PROS, not airs. You can't do much in regards to upgrades/self-service on those. If any component becomes outdated (which it always does eventually), you pretty much need to buy a new laptop. At least with the old ones you could do some upgrades.

I've got a 2012 MacBook Pro with a 2.6ghz Quad Core i7, Nvidia 650M, 16gb of RAM and two 2.5" drives (120gb SSD for OS X and another 1tb HD for storage). Dual drives is where its at for the time being... You can't get that kind of customization with the new MacBook Pros. Battery can be easily replaced as well.

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Seriously though, show me pictures of any computer better than this? Macs are fantastic and cut it out with the nerd talk. Some like classical which is the PC and some like romanticism which is the Mac and to top it off, the Mac can perform what you need it to do. Find me anything better than what I have shown.

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-18.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-0.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-4.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-17.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-5.jpg

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Seriously though, show me pictures of any computer better than this? Macs are fantastic and cut it out with the nerd talk. Some like classical which is the PC and some like romanticism which is the Mac and to top it off, the Mac can perform what you need it to do. Find me anything better than what I have shown.

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-18.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-0.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-4.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-17.jpg

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/macbook-pro-retina-review-haswell-5.jpg

macs are beautiful computers man. and their os is flawless compared to windows 8 as well.

It's just with the same amount of money getting an asus laptop is probably a better choice. You just have to put some effort into either getting a new OS on that laptop or making windows 8 actually usable.

kamil
11-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Seriously though, show me pictures of any computer better than this?

Sorry, I don't view my MacBook as a fashion statement. I can find many better performing laptops than my MacBook Pro... but the problem is as I've stated the inability to run OS X. Otherwise, I'd switch gear immediately. Half the price for faster performance in photoshop and after effects? Sign me up. My computer is a tool to get work done, I don't see why you need to have your view enforced on others. Some of us depend on our computers for a living.

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I don't view me MacBook as a fashion statement. I can find many better performing laptops than my MacBook Pro... but the problem is as I've stated the inability to run OS X. Otherwise, I'd switch gear immediately. Half the price for faster performance in photoshop and after effects? Sign me up. My computer is a tool to get work done, I don't see why you need to have your view enforced on others. Some of us depend on our computers for a living.

I know what you are saying but lets not act like a Mac cannot perform. It performs very well and beyond.

The most important thing is the user experience. I enjoy using the Apple because it feels new and it feels like you are in the future.

Going back to a PC, the user experience is just very low and not enjoyable.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Find me a Mac that compares to this PC in terms of value

http://www.amazon.com/N550JK-DB74T-Full-HD-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminum-Body/dp/B00LO3K002/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1415046848&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+laptop+ssd

The only thing that sucks about that laptop is that it has a touchscreen and windows 8.

ace23
11-03-2014, 05:21 PM
macs aren't just more secure because "nobody makes viruses for them" they are inherently more secure because the OS requires far more user permissions for anything to happen with the computer.
Bandito is right, but can you give an example of what you mean by this?

kamil
11-03-2014, 05:22 PM
I know what you are saying but lets not act like a Mac cannot perform. It performs very well and beyond.

The most important thing is the user experience. I enjoy using the Apple because it feels new and it feels like you are in the future.

Yeah and that's thanks to OS X, and I agree. I'll take the slightly slower/more expensive MacBook over a PC counterpart...

Why?

Because Windows is a fvcking nightmare. Although the way Apple is going on about OS X doesn't help the cause, Yosemite is Apple's second worst release after 10.7. Ie; Why the fvck are they shoving 'full screen' view by clicking the green maximize buttons? Its a desktop... not a tablet, I dont want nor need full screen. How am I supposed to multitask?

The_Yearning
11-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Wow, trying to turn the tables around on an old internet meme that made Macs look like playskool toys?

http://xaharts.org/funny/i/mac_win_linux_perceptions-s.jpg

Am I the only one that can't read this shit properly? Learn to make a proper diagram idiots.

The_Yearning
11-03-2014, 05:23 PM

http://www.amazon.com/N550JK-DB74T-Full-HD-Touchscreen-Laptop-Aluminum-Body/dp/B00LO3K002/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1415046848&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+laptop+ssd

The only thing that sucks about that laptop is that it has a touchscreen and windows 8.

You harping on specs all day just like the typical Android clown.

What about the actual build quality? The aesthetics of the machine? The retina?

All that shit comes into play boss.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Bandito is right, but can you give an example of what you mean by this?

Mac does a bunch of shit that is security based.

Some of it is good and better than PC and other parts of it are just way over protective features that basically anyone who isn't an old person would want turned off.

For one of the actual good features though I think upon starting up, Macs use something that pulls from outside sound to generate a random line of code to protect the vitals of the OS, making it impossible for a virus to screw over.

Mac's OS is miles ahead of Windows. Windows 8 was a massive leap back for microsoft. All of this touch screen craze is a nuisance as well. If the macs have tought us anything it's how much of a tool the mousepad can be and how it needs to be utilized.

kamil
11-03-2014, 05:29 PM

What about the actual build quality?

Already been discussed and there are pros and cons. Read the fvcking thread.

The aesthetics of the machine?

How does this affect a laptops performance/usage?

The retina?

LOL @ 'the retina'

God damn gimmick marketing word just for a high pixel density display. Son, a lot of laptops have high res displays.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 05:29 PM

THIS is why I stayed with a Mac.

I hated Apple and Macs. Until I saw a few friends at work using theirs on a regular basis. I had all the same misconceptions that people are having here. Once my pc gave me one too many issues I bought my first Mac, a Mac Mini and never looked back.

The 'experience' of a Mac is much better. The care free joy of not worrying about regular maintenance, the quality build, the user friendly operating system, tons of small tiny things that just add up to make one great experience.

Words can't describe what it's like until you've owned one.

Naturally... not everybody will feel the same way, not everybody appreciates or values the same things, but the overwhelming majority do.

Cats talking about 'performance' as if the Macbook is some slow piece of shit. Throw all the geek benches on it, and the Macbook either wins or is on par with most laptops.

So you can't play some video games on it... if that's your thing, good for you. Who seriously games on a laptop anyway? :confusedshrug:

Like I mentioned to the OP, it's simple. Go buy a Macbook and if you feel it's not for you, then return it, at least you tried it, nothing wrong in that.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Android?

The **** do phones have to do with this?

I never use my phone for shit other than texting, calling, or occasionally browsing the web when a computer isn't available and convenient, so specs don't matter for shit on phones.

kamil
11-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Android?

I never use my phone for shit other than texting, calling, or occasionally browsing the web when a computer isn't available and convenient, so specs don't matter for shit on phones.

All the tasks are so basic on phones, there's no need for those quad-core processors.

Would be nice if manufacturers could make an effort on making a phone that didnt suck d*ck on battery life.

NumberSix
11-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Tech specs alone don't mean everything. We can all understand the basic idea that not all software uses hardware with the same efficiency.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:40 PM
All the tasks are so basic on phones, there's no need for those quad-core processors.

Would be nice if manufacturers could make an effort on making a phone that didnt suck d*ck on battery life.

Yup. They are so worried about the dumbest shit though, like screen size.

My dad got sold on a phone that won't even fit in most of his jean pockets and he only uses his phone for the basics :facepalm

bigkingsfan
11-03-2014, 05:46 PM

The question is why would you pay that much for that PC in the first place. That's just not a good gaming computer for the price.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-850M.107795.0.html

rezznor
11-03-2014, 05:47 PM

retina :oldlol:

mac machines, especially the mba have worse screens then pretty much all of the high end windows laptops. grats on falling for apple marketing.

navy
11-03-2014, 06:01 PM
If you have money and dont care about games get a mac. Otherwise dont.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 06:08 PM

mac machines, especially the mba have worse screens then pretty much all of the high end windows laptops. grats on falling for apple marketing.

Stop the bs.

MacBooks have amongst the highest rated screens.

There's a reason why the vast majority of pro photo editors use the MacBooks are their laptop of choice.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 06:10 PM
If you have money and dont care about games get a mac. Otherwise dont.

They're only a G.

The_Yearning
11-03-2014, 06:19 PM

Where did I mention MBA's have Retina? :applause:

Way to attack the weakest laptop in Apple's lineup :lol which even then, is still better than 90% of whats available on the market.

The_Yearning
11-03-2014, 06:22 PM
They're only a G.

No. Their at least 1.3K unless you're buying it stock without the additional RAM and SSD memory, not to mention the taxes.

Your final total will be much closer to $1,500.

The_Yearning
11-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Android?

It's the same argument Andriod head uses when debating about iPhones. They fail to realize the build quality and the aesthetics of the iPhone.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 06:25 PM
No. Their at least 1.3K unless you're buying it stock without the additional RAM and SSD memory, not to mention the taxes.

Your final total will be much closer to $1,500.

Im looking at Best Buy right now and they're $999.99 on sale.

The_Yearning
11-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Im looking at Best Buy right now and they're $999.99 on sale.

That's stock model without taxes. You can't really live with only 4GB of ram and only 128GB these days. 8/256 is the minimum. And that's the MBA, more of a novelty item in Apple's lineup.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 06:33 PM
That's stock model without taxes. You can't really live with only 4GB of ram and only 128GB these days. 8/256 is the minimum. And that's the MBA, more of a novelty item in Apple's lineup.

That's perfectly fine for most users I think :confusedshrug:

Im not sure if that's good enough for the OP, but I'd say it's more than fine for most average users.

The MBA isn't a novelty when you consider that many clamor for a compact and light device. Perfect for tons of students and average users.

Also far from a novelty since it serves as a gate way for users on the fence. It makes perfect sense on a strategic level.

bigkingsfan
11-03-2014, 06:34 PM

$1150 tax free for the 13 pro 8/128 config, you can upgrade the HD yourself
Not that hard to find for cheaper if you're patience.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7276444-brand-new-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-for-1149-99?v=1

andgar923
11-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Speaking of Macs...

https://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/

I want!!!

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Buy an iMac and it's....
https://theclemreport.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/vcover.gif

No need to get anything for the next 10 years.

rezznor
11-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Stop the bs.

MacBooks have amongst the highest rated screens.

There's a reason why the vast majority of pro photo editors use the MacBooks are their laptop of choice.

. Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus, $1399 Like the Dell XPS 15, this laptop runs at 3200x1800 pixels but at the 13.3-inch size--that means, more portability but not as much screen real estate. Going hands-on at CES 2014, the display looked so sharp I noticed the text in a business document had a much finer edge even when I zoomed in closely. Videos and photos also looked vivid and clear. The Book 9 Plus uses an Intel Core i5 processor and runs for about 7.5 hours per charge
http://www8.pcmag.com/media/images/337517-samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-angle.jpg

better screen then the mb pro for a hell of alot less. you can find it on sale for around $1000. a comparably priced MBA has a shit screen

The_Yearning
11-03-2014, 06:50 PM
$1150 tax free for the 13 pro 8/128 config, you can upgrade the HD yourself
Not that hard to find for cheaper if you're patience.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7276444-brand-new-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-for-1149-99?v=1

That's eBay. Any joe can find a deal if their looking hard enough on eBay buying used. And that bid is up to $1300 now btw with over 100 watchers :lol for a 128SSD... and I don't even think Applepay is still possible.

And you can upgrade the HD yourself but it's pretty annoying since it's soldered on.

Point is, Macbooks are expensive but they are worth it.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 07:08 PM

better screen then the mb pro for a hell of alot less. you can find it on sale for around $1000. a comparably priced MBA has a shit screen
you didn't refute what I posted.

So you posted a laptop with good specs.

it still doesn't mean that the Macbook has a shit screen nor that pro photographers don't use it.

NumberSix
11-03-2014, 07:32 PM
you didn't refute what I posted.

So you posted a laptop with good specs.

it still doesn't mean that the Macbook has a shit screen nor that pro photographers don't use it.
People are so weird. Apparently, because current MacBooks "only" have pixel densities of 220ppi and 227ppi, that means they have "shit screens". :roll:

To put it in perspective, a 52 inch 4K ultra HD TV has a pixel density of about 85ppi. Is that a "shit screen" too?

Are there better screens? Of course. 220ppi is still pretty freaking good.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Played around with the Macbook Pro 13 inch retina display

It's the complete package. I'm buying it next month :cheers:

LJJ
11-03-2014, 07:40 PM
You have no idea what you're talking about. I can build one more reliable and more stable with better components at a lower cost. There's no denying this. It's a fact.

Macs are for artists (even that's debatable these days) and people who don't know shit about computers but want some false sense of performance or hipness.

It's a high end computer with training wheels for idiots who don't know what they're doing.

*People who think they are artists or want to give off that vibe, but actually have menial jobs.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 07:46 PM
*People who think they are artists or want to give off that vibe, but actually have menial jobs.

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/macbook-pro-users-at-google-io-2011-image-004.jpg?w=704

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/macbook-pro-users-at-google-io-2011-image-003.jpg?w=704
Stupid Google engineers.

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 07:57 PM
While I think the iPhone is superior to Droid but there is some talking points and arguments for the Droid and iPhone.

In regards to Mac vs. PC? This is no debate at all. Don't confuse their computers with their phones. Macs do really destroys the competition in this department unlike their phones which only beats the competition.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 07:57 PM
People are so weird. Apparently, because current MacBooks "only" have pixel densities of 220ppi and 227ppi, that means they have "shit screens". :roll:

To put it in perspective, a 52 inch 4K ultra HD TV has a pixel density of about 85ppi. Is that a "shit screen" too?

Are there better screens? Of course. 220ppi is still pretty freaking good.

The screens are hilarious wastes of money. Nothing like 1800p clarity on a 15" screen 1 foot from your face :lol .

Nanners
11-03-2014, 07:59 PM
http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/macbook-pro-users-at-google-io-2011-image-004.jpg?w=704

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/macbook-pro-users-at-google-io-2011-image-003.jpg?w=704
Stupid Google engineers.

someone should tell these twitter engineers that macs are only for people who dont know shit about computers

http://go.bloomberg.com/tech-deals/content/uploads/sites/2/2013/10/blog-twitter-employees-620.jpg

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 08:03 PM
My university upgraded all their computers to iMac. Their school of business will soon change them all out.

I believe the community colleges still running PC. Lol

andgar923
11-03-2014, 09:09 PM
My university upgraded all their computers to iMac. Their school of business will soon change them all out.

I believe the community colleges still running PC. Lol

I worked at a community college and we upgraded all of our department computers to Macs.

We kept having issue after issue after issue with pcs, after we upgraded to Macs, it was almost non-existent.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 09:22 PM
someone should tell these twitter engineers that macs are only for people who dont know shit about computers

http://go.bloomberg.com/tech-deals/content/uploads/sites/2/2013/10/blog-twitter-employees-620.jpg

Pfft.. only the security team at Facebook uses them

http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/345758/facebook-security-team-cover-photo.jpg?w=720&h=481&l=50&t=50

But those are all geeks, no real industry will use that.

http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/nasa-MSL-team-mac-users.jpg

http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/macbook-pros-at-nasa-jet-propulsion-lab.jpg

Overpriced useless underpowered shitty screened pieces of shit!

KyrieTheFuture
11-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Macs are good computers, just too expensive. Anyone who cares about performance would just buy parts and build a pc. 90% of people need a very limited laptop, not a $1400 computer.

navy
11-03-2014, 09:27 PM
They're only a G.
A G is a lot, considering you can get laptops for 200-300. :confusedshrug:

bigkingsfan
11-03-2014, 09:38 PM
A G is a lot, considering you can get shitty laptops for 200-300. :confusedshrug:

Fixed

andgar923
11-03-2014, 09:39 PM

You can buy anything for cheap.:confusedshrug:

arkain
11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
This is going off-topic.

The discussion wasn't regarding if they are good/bad computers. It'd be stupid to say they are bad computers. The point was related to value for your money. Which imo, is very poor for macs. I'm not forking over 40-50% extra over a PC to get the same specs in a mac.

arkain
11-03-2014, 09:44 PM

See I find this useless and just a marketing ploy. What are you going to be doing on that laptop with those specs that require that high of a resolution? That's not going to handle photo editing software, nor is it going to handle video games. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't done any research but I can't think of anything off the top of my head that requires that high of a resolution which you can do on a laptop like that.

PHX_Phan
11-03-2014, 09:44 PM

A shitty one.

People severely understate how insecure windows is. Just because you have Avast, Malwarebytes, Spybot, etc running scans and not finding shit doesn't mean your computer is free of malware. Unless you are doing nightly process scans and validating each one, you most likely have some type of malware running in the background. It's the reason why Windows ALWAYS bogs down over time.

It's funny that Windows people are always accusing Mac users as being computer illiterate when most of them don't have a single ****ing clue how either file system works.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 09:48 PM
A shitty one.

People severely understate how insecure windows is. Just because you have Avast, Malwarebytes, Spybot, etc running scans and not finding shit doesn't mean your computer is free of malware. Unless you are doing nightly process scans and validating each one, you most likely have some type of malware running in the background. It's the reason why Windows ALWAYS bogs down over time.

It's funny that Windows people are always accusing Mac users as being computer illiterate when most of them don't have a single ****ing clue how either file system works.

:lol That is not how it works.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 09:52 PM
This is going off-topic.

The discussion wasn't regarding if they are good/bad computers. It'd be stupid to say they are bad computers. The point was related to value for your money. Which imo, is very poor for macs. I'm not forking over 40-50% extra over a PC to get the same specs in a mac.

That's the mistake you and others are making.

It's not solely about 'specs'.

It's about the entire experience as a whole. The unison of hardware, components, software and the ease of use/stability that it brings.

As I mentioned, some people may not care about that, some do.

I'll gladly fork over an extra $200 if my computer will cause me less headaches, will need little to no maintenance, will last me longer, will perform great more consistently, will be more secure, leave a smaller footprint (size, weight), include modern features found in few counterparts (thunderbolt, magsafe adaptor, display port, bar none the best trackpad period, light sensors, etc.etc.) and an operating system created and fine tuned specifically to maximize everything.

Shit yeah Im paying extra.

NumberSix
11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
This is going off-topic.

The value is relative to your needs.

It depends what you need. If you just want to surf the web, watch youtube videos, check Facebook and Twitter, I would say just get a tablet or a cheap laptop.

If you're hardcore about gaming, get a PC.

If you're about professional work like audio, video, editing, photography, etc. Go with a Mac.

ROCSteady
11-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Don't you **** geeks ever get sick of having the same arguments over & over again for years on end?

Mac v PC : Xbox v Playstation : Bloods v Crips

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 10:11 PM
I will always be thankful to have owned a PowerBook, it came with Photoshop and I learned how to do advanced photoshops with it. Unfortunately, I don't use it anymore and regret not doing so.

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Don't you **** geeks ever get sick of having the same arguments over & over again for years on end?

iPhone vs Droid is debatable but when it comes to computers, Macs shit on PC all day.

The Mac haters are getting the two confused. How the iPhone compares to other phones does not equate to how their computers are against other computers.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 10:16 PM

No

:D

KNOW1EDGE
11-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Lol @ this whole thread.

Neither is "better", they both are what they are. Each have +/- for you to consider and decide what's best for you.

Macs are extremely over priced IMO they are more of a status symbol

embersyc
11-04-2014, 12:08 AM
I've used many Macs and PCs, and I just prefer PCs due to customization, price, available free software, etc...

My desktop I currently use was originally built in 2010 and still screams:

4/16/2010
Shipped

$858.95

1 x RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black/Silver 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case
1 x EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x HIS H575Q1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
1 x Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Processor BX80605I7860
1 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
1 x G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBECO

Later I wanted to put together a raid for my data. So I added a trio of 2TB hard-drives.

5/30/2011
Shipped

$209.97

3 x Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

After 4 years of heavy everyday usage for work and gaming, I bought Titanfall and it didn't perform as good as I wanted... So I bought a new Video card and more ram:

3/15/2014
Shipped

$79.99

1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

3/2/2014
Shipped

$279.99

1 x HIS IceQ X

Micku
11-04-2014, 01:07 AM
THIS is why I stayed with a Mac.

I hated Apple and Macs. Until I saw a few friends at work using theirs on a regular basis. I had all the same misconceptions that people are having here. Once my pc gave me one too many issues I bought my first Mac, a Mac Mini and never looked back.

The 'experience' of a Mac is much better. The care free joy of not worrying about regular maintenance, the quality build, the user friendly operating system, tons of small tiny things that just add up to make one great experience.

Words can't describe what it's like until you've owned one.

Naturally... not everybody will feel the same way, not everybody appreciates or values the same things, but the overwhelming majority do.

Cats talking about 'performance' as if the Macbook is some slow piece of shit. Throw all the geek benches on it, and the Macbook either wins or is on par with most laptops.

So you can't play some video games on it... if that's your thing, good for you. Who seriously games on a laptop anyway? :confusedshrug:

Like I mentioned to the OP, it's simple. Go buy a Macbook and if you feel it's not for you, then return it, at least you tried it, nothing wrong in that.

People who move around a lot. It's mobile, so there you go. Laptops now have some pretty solid gpus. The 980m is slightly worse than the gtx 780 now. Only about like 5%. Still more expensive than a desktop, for sure. But laptops now are getting better with the gaming. You can run 60+fps with 1080p on ultra settings on current games, and go 4k now.

Anyway, the OP doesn't game on his PC, so Macs are good for him if he has the money. Macs hardly get viruses, but PCs are more flexible and more software support it.

BigBoss
11-04-2014, 01:08 AM
Mac haters are just broke :lol. The rest are rebel nerds who build their own PCs

Bandito
11-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Ive been using PC for years and I never have problems with to exclude Vista of course. Been using Windows 8.1 amd it works great with fast boosting and all. Have used Macs too and I like them too. They are just too overpriced for what they do.

GimmeThat
11-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Mac haters are just broke :lol. The rest are rebel nerds who build their own PCs

I love the way you insult every single PC manufacturing company

as if there isn't a trusted PC name brand out there

dunksby
11-04-2014, 07:49 AM
PC=/= Windows 8 btw.

blablabla
11-04-2014, 08:11 AM
I've had 2 Macs so far. A Macbook i bought in '09 i think, a low end model i paid 777

redhonda76
11-04-2014, 08:26 AM
I have a MBA and a windows laptop. Although the MBA is slighter newer than windows laptop, I use the windows laptop much more than the MBA because it supports much more of the software I use and it's much better at gaming.
I have zero problems with windows laptop just like the MBA.