PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Melo never averaged 30 ppg but LeBron did...But Melo > scorer than Bron?

k0kakw0rld
11-03-2014, 01:25 AM
He just reached 20 000 points, congrats by the way but...his buddy already passed that mark months ago.

triangleoffense
11-03-2014, 01:27 AM
Melo has always been a little overrated... sure he's an amazing pure scorer but he really has no rub-on affect/charisma/leadership potential/whatever you want to call it.

aboss4real24
11-03-2014, 01:29 AM
He just reached 20 000 points, congrats by the way but...his buddy already passed that mark months ago.

melo had more injuries in his first 6 years

he missed way more games than LB

Brook(lyn)Lopez
11-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Melo > pure scorer

MellowYellow
11-03-2014, 01:35 AM
Melo has been more clutch the first week of this season than Lebron his entire career.

orange_chicken
11-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Melo needs to stop passing the ball he sucks he needs to score like Lebone Jane because Lebone is the most pure shooter of all time he can even win the 3 point contest if he wants.

Collie
11-03-2014, 01:42 AM
I think more versatile scorer would be a better description.

SamuraiSWISH
11-03-2014, 01:42 AM
Melo never averaged 30+ ppg, LeBron has twice.
Kobe has 2 scoring titles, LeBron has 1.

Better scorers.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Because LeBron is a better scorer. Only morons think Melo is.

SugarHill
11-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Melo is a better scorer and the playoffs prove this to be the case.

Mr Exlax
11-03-2014, 01:45 AM
Melo has a larger variety of offensive moves and his mechanics just look so much better

Smook A.
11-03-2014, 01:49 AM
melo had more injuries in his first 6 years

he missed way more games than LB
Holy crap dude. I'm sorry, but you're really dumb. In their 1st 6 seasons, LeBron only played 17 more games than Melo did. Your excuse is totally vacuous and it shows that you just said it so Melo wouldn't look bad. Look up some things before you lay out another retarded comment.

PsychoBe
11-03-2014, 01:57 AM
melo's a better scorer. more of an offensive arsenal, much better pure shooter, can drive the lane, can do post-up fade-aways at a much higher clip, more clutch, etc.

bran dominates the ball more (has a much higher usage rate) and was given the green light since day one while melo was on a playoff-bound team and had to learn to develop and played alongside a.i. later on.

SugarHill
11-03-2014, 02:07 AM
melo's a better scorer. more of an offensive arsenal, much better pure shooter, can drive the lane, can do post-up fade-aways at a much higher clip, more clutch, etc.

bran dominates the ball more (has a much higher usage rate) and was given the green light since day one while melo was on a playoff-bound team and had to learn to develop and played alongside a.i. later on.
Much higher? Are you sure about that?

MellowYellow
11-03-2014, 02:09 AM

Truth, Melo was on pace to average 30 that year until AI came along.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Anybody who says Melo is a better scorer because of a better "arsenal" would also agree that Pau Gasol is a better scorer than Shaq, correct?

SugarHill
11-03-2014, 02:13 AM
Anybody who says Melo is a better scorer because of a better "arsenal" would also agree that Pau Gasol is a better scorer than Shaq, correct?

But all Shaq does is a couple hooks and dunks. He has no moves. Al Jefferson > Shaq :biggums:

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:14 AM
But all Shaq does is a couple hooks and dunks. He has no moves. :biggums:
Agreed. Pau/Jefferson has a much better arsenal and much smoother/aesthetically pleasing moves !

PsychoBe
11-03-2014, 02:19 AM

shaq had legendary foot-work for a man his size, an almost completely unstoppable hook-shot that he had perfected for many years, had the "black tornado" which was a quick spin off and dunk, as well as quick and powerful drop-step that would all but guarantee him deep positioning in the post.

and after all the bricks pau did point-blank in the post vs the cavs you want to try and make this argument? :lol

your point is void.

Much higher? Are you sure about that?

i'm 100% positive. only year melo came close to surpassing bran in usage rate was last season for very obvious reasons (in fact i think he lead the league in usage rate last year with there with durant).

SugarHill
11-03-2014, 02:21 AM
i'm 100% positive. only year melo came close to surpassing bran in usage rate was last season for very obvious reasons (in fact i think he lead the league in usage rate last year with there with durant).

Check the stats. You might be surprised.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Usage rate is not a measure of ball dominance. It just adds up fga+fta+assists in a certain way iirc.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:24 AM
shaq had legendary foot-work for a man his size, an almost completely unstoppable hook-shot that he had perfected for many years, had the "black tornado" which was a quick spin off and dunk, as well as quick and powerful drop-step that would all but guarantee him deep positioning in the post.

and after all the bricks pau did point-blank in the post vs the cavs you want to try and make this argument? :lol

your point is void.

The point is that being a master of a few trades is better than being a jack of all of them. For instance, Dwight Howard is a better scorer than Nick Young....

tpols
11-03-2014, 02:25 AM

Shaq had a solid arsenal.. and dominated with over and over scoring. Pau scores here and there with a lot of buckets being spoonfed midrange shots.

Melo has a solid arsenal, and consistently takes over games late with pretty much unstoppable over and over midrange scoring. Bron scores here and there off fastbreaks and passes to udonis haslem in the clutch.

Thanks for opening my eyes dude. Pau and bran, and shaq and melo have more in common than I thought

TheReal Kendall
11-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Down by 2 with 4 seconds left who do you give the ball to Melo or Lebron?

Kvnzhangyay
11-03-2014, 02:26 AM

Lebron duh

navy
11-03-2014, 02:27 AM
Usage rate is not a measure of ball dominance. It just adds up fga+fta+assists in a certain way iirc.
Usage Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * ((FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV) * (Tm MP / 5)) / (MP * (Tm FGA + 0.44 * Tm FTA + Tm TOV)). Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:28 AM
With 4 seconds left you're probably gonna get a contested Jumper so probably Melo. I'd give it to Melo over Shaq as well that doesn't mean he's a better scorer prime for prime. 20 seconds left? LeBron every day.

SugarHill
11-03-2014, 02:29 AM
Shaq had a solid arsenal.. and dominated with over and over scoring. Pau scores here and there with a lot of buckets being spoonfed midrange shots.

Melo has a solid arsenal, and consistently takes over games late with pretty much unstoppable over and over midrange scoring. Bron scores here and there off fastbreaks and passes to udonis haslem in the clutch.

Thanks for opening my eyes dude. Pau and bran, and shaq and melo have more in common than I thought

If you honestly think LeBron is that limited as a scorer, and I've seen you make this point plenty of times, how is it that he scored so much in the playoffs and regular season while being so limited and opportunistic? I mean, you act like he has no skill to speak of.

PsychoBe
11-03-2014, 02:30 AM
Check the stats. You might be surprised.

nikka just link me if you got it on hand it's early in the morning not everyone is on toronto time.

The point is that being a master of a few trades is better than being a jack of all of them. For instance, Dwight Howard is a better scorer than Nick Young....

it's taboo to compare guards and big-men when it comes to scoring but that's a very odd example regardless. a better example would be dwight and cousins. i think cousins is a better overall scorer than dwight and that we can all agree on that.

but it's not black and white.

melo's the better scorer but bran's scored more points.

it's literally that simple.

Warfan
11-03-2014, 02:30 AM
Melo's playoff scoring is underwhelming for a superstar. In exactly half of his playoff games he has shot lower than 40% from the floor :facepalm Bron has had great scoring series against the best defenses in the league and im pretty sure he has higher career averages as well.

And to whoever said bron has a high USG% than melo, it's the other way around (32.6 to 31.4).

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Question: Do People think Melo is a better scorer than Prime Dwyane Wade?

tpols
11-03-2014, 02:33 AM
If you honestly think LeBron is that limited as a scorer, and I've seen you make this point plenty of times, how is it that he scored so much in the playoffs and regular season while being so limited and opportunistic? I mean, you act like he has no skill to speak of.

its like.. is shawn marion a better scorer than joe johnson(primes) because he scored more points than him?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:34 AM
Yeah we haven't even gotten in to Melo's playoff woes.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-03-2014, 02:34 AM

Absolutely not. Melo's volume is far closer to LeBron than Gasol's is to Shaq.

Melo acutally has a legit case over LeBron, as he is a better jumpshooter and post player.

I dig this thread though. It tells me who actually watches basketball and not stat sheets. :cheers:

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:35 AM
its like.. is shawn marion a better scorer than joe johnson(primes) because he scored more points than him?

Except he didn't.

SugarHill
11-03-2014, 02:35 AM

Absolutely retarded analogy, which isn't even true :rolleyes:

PsychoBe
11-03-2014, 02:38 AM
Question: Do People think Melo is a better scorer than Prime Dwyane Wade?

i'd personally put wade over both melo and bran, especially in their respective primes. we're talking about one of the highest finals averages in the history of the game while coming back to win the title.

your comparisons are so off just stick to the topic.

is melo a better scorer than bran despite scoring less points?

yes.

it's not black and white. we both know melo is the much better shooter, he can slash just like bran can, he has a much more polished post game, and has virtually infinite range.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:39 AM
i'd personally put wade over both melo and bran, especially in their respective primes. we're talking about one of the highest finals averages in the history of the game while coming back to win the title.

yes.

it's not black and white. we both know melo is the much better shooter, he can slash just like bran can, he has a much more polished post game, and has virtually infinite range.
Is this serious? LeBron James is probably the best slashing small-forward in NBA history...He is a FAR better slasher and finisher at the rim than Melo...It's not even close

tpols
11-03-2014, 02:41 AM
okay okay you guys got me.

Better example.. which I have verified.

Its like comparing antwan jamison to joe johnson.. 'twan has more points prime for prime. He the better scorer?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:43 AM
Wrong again. Joe has averaged 25 ppg.

Milbuck
11-03-2014, 02:44 AM
Monta Ellis >>>>> James Harden

tpols
11-03-2014, 02:44 AM
Did I say peak or primes ??

SugarHill
11-03-2014, 02:45 AM

yes.

:roll:

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:45 AM
Give the years you consider to be their primes first.

TheReal Kendall
11-03-2014, 02:46 AM
So Melo can't slash or cut now?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:47 AM
So Melo can't slash or cut now?
Not like LeBron James.

TheReal Kendall
11-03-2014, 02:49 AM
Not like LeBron James.

And Lebron can't post up or shoot like Melo

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:49 AM
Case in point:

LeBron James at the rim 2013-14:

529/668 = 79.2%

Carmelo Anthony at the rim 2013-14:

185/315 = 58.9%

Warfan
11-03-2014, 02:50 AM
Melo is a poor finisher at the rim, especially considering his size/position. Now I don't think he gets as much respect from the refs as other stars, but shooting something like 55% at the rim is still pathetic.

RoundMoundOfReb
The gap between the 2 in those areas is far smaller than in the driving/finishing one.

SugarHill

Right, but he was suggesting that Melo has all that on him while pretending like they're comparable in other regards, which just shows his obvious bias

Prometheus
11-03-2014, 02:51 AM
They are nearly equal as scorers overall, as evidenced by their similar PPG averages over their entire careers. It seems pretty obvious to me however, that Carmelo is more of a threat to score in any given half-court set. He has a better jumper from the midrange out, a quicker pull-up, quicker first step, better mechanics on the drive and in the post... LeBron has clear athletic advantages, but more importantly he's able to score on Carmelo's level because he's a vastly smarter basketball player. And of course his superior passing makes it harder for defenses to key on him. But yeah, Carmelo has much better skill as a pure scorer, and is about a thousand times more fun to watch.

tpols
11-03-2014, 02:52 AM
You could use whatever combination.

Each has 5 seasons over 20 ppg.

JJ has a 25.. twan has a 24.9 :oldlol: (the big difference you attempted to point out)

Twan averages a full ppg more over the course of his career.. has 2500+ more career points.

antwan since he came on the scene until he declined right before cleveland was a 20.3 ppg scorer. JJ through his third year in pheonix(when nash arrived) to last year in BK as their best scorer and still functioning at very high level(had one of his best playoffs ever last year) is a 19.5ppg scorer.

Twan better?

TheReal Kendall
11-03-2014, 02:52 AM
Right, but he was suggesting that Melo has all that on him while pretending like they're comparable in other regards, which just shows his obvious bias

If you list each individual offensive ability Melo wins.

Refs don't respect Melo either

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 02:56 AM
You could use whatever combination.

Each has 5 seasons over 20 ppg.

JJ has a 25.. twan has a 24.9 :oldlol: (the big difference you attempted to point out)

Twan averages a full ppg more over the course of his career.. has 2500+ more career points.

antwan since he came on the scene until he declined right before cleveland was a 20.3 ppg scorer. JJ through his third year in pheonix(when nash arrived) to last year in BK as their best scorer and still functioning at very high level(had one of his best playoffs ever last year) is a 19.5ppg scorer.

Twan better?

tell me the specific years you're looking at please.

PsychoBe
11-03-2014, 02:56 AM
Is this serious? LeBron James is probably the best slashing small-forward in NBA history...He is a FAR better slasher and finisher at the rim than Melo...It's not even close

i meant "comparable" but then you have to take into account that bran had to slash much more often because well....:oldlol:

Give the years you consider to be their primes first.

wade's prime: 2006-2009

bran's prime: 2007-2010

melo's prime: 2008-2011

wade became all he was going to be post-finals performance and has only free-falled since.

bran show used how great he could be in the detroit series and has never matched it since but still has more flashes of brillance.

melo hit his stride later once he teamed up with a.i. and began hitting clutch shots and helped carried the nuggets to the wcf and has never duplicated that success since.

either way, wade in those years was flat-out unguardable. he could shoot the 3 relatively well because he didn't attempt many, he was clutch anywhere from the free-throw line in and loved the deep two, could post you up, was an elite slasher and finisher, etc.

bran could only hit his jumpers once he got going in the paint, had very specific sweet spots on the floor for his jumper (that many people didn't know), didn't have much of a post game yet, couldn't shoot well from 3's, but was an elite slasher.

melo was the same as wade except he wasn't quite there from the post yet but he loved his pull-up jumper, his iso jab-step/rising jumper, had near infinite range, and could make some of the most contested jumpers you had ever seen (one we all remember him hitting in bran's face a few years ago).

but in the end bran scored more points but he's not a better scorer than either of them and that's just the way it is.

tpols
11-03-2014, 02:58 AM
tell me the specific years you're looking at please.

23 to 32.. for both.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-03-2014, 03:01 AM
i meant "comparable" but then you have to take into account that bran had to slash much more often because well....:oldlol:

Except they really aren't comparable. And wtf does it mean to "have to slash" you realize that getting to the rim is preferable to shooting a jumper, right?

And the second part of your post: The primes are off. Melo's peak was 2013, LeBron was not prime in 07 or 08. His prime is 09-14. Looks like you just looked at the highest PPGs for "prime".

AintNoSunshine
11-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Melo has been more clutch the first week of this season than Lebron his entire career.

Actually Lebron's game 5 performance against the Pistons in the PLAYOFFS eclipses anything Melo has ever done on a basketball court.

PsychoBe
11-03-2014, 03:07 AM
Except they really aren't comparable. And wtf does it mean to "have to slash" you realize that getting to the rim is preferable to shooting a jumper, right?

And the second part of your post: The primes are off. Melo's peak was 2013, LeBron was not prime in 07 or 08. His prime is 09-14. Looks like you just looked at the highest PPGs for "prime".

contrary to popular belief, but to some professional basketball players, it is much easier for them to shoot than it is to drive the lane since they actually have a jump-shot.

ironic you said melo's peak was last year when he had the highest usage rate that year as well. i go by performance as well as by the numbers, and my time-frame is when the players were able to put it all together for a limited stretch.

in 07' in that post-season he had a legendary performance and that's after 3-4 years of developing his game and his body to it's almost absolute physical peak. he was all he was going to be from 07' onwards and plateaued in 2010. the rest since then has been nothing more than fine-tuning his game which every player has to do.

MellowYellow
11-03-2014, 03:13 AM
The past really does not matter to me as far as this discussion goes. Now that they are both 30ish, Melo is obviously not only the better scorer... but the better player as well. Bran is losing his athleticism and has already peaked. Melo is starting to hit his mental peak, and his shooting is bomb now. Bran has an ugly inconsistent jumper and it is only gonna get harder for him as he ages.

Melo>Bran from here on.

PsychoBe
11-03-2014, 03:16 AM
The past really does not matter to me as far as this discussion goes. Now that they are both 30ish, Melo is obviously not only the better scorer... but the better player as well. Bran is losing his athleticism and has already peaked. Melo is starting to hit his mental peak, and his shooting is bomb now. Bran has an ugly inconsistent jumper and it is only gonna get harder for him as he ages.

Melo>Bran from here on.

im personally glad melo decided to stay in ny and attempt to the make the triangle work because right now we're watching beautiful basketball on display in the ball-hog leastern conference :applause:

SugarHill
11-03-2014, 03:31 AM

Melo>Bran from here on.

Melo also peaked. You're deluded to think otherwise. Only difference is, one of the two has a bright future while the other's future is quite bleak. Also, you're in for a rude awakening if you think Melo is a better player based on the first week of ball. :oldlol:

dubeta
11-03-2014, 05:18 AM
Can you imagine if LeBron shot the 20-22 shots that Melo gets every night?

He would average 33+ a game

LeBron is a better scorer than:

Melo

Durant

Kobe

LeBron is a top 3 scorer of all time, look at the stats

1). MJ. 30.1 ppg career average

2) Wilt 30.1 ppg career average

3) LeBron 27.5 ppg career average

Crose
11-03-2014, 05:22 AM
lets look at their most recent head to head

melo has big numbers and drains the game winner in lebron's face

lebron is outplayed by his star teammates and can only score on transition :lol

TheReal Kendall
11-03-2014, 05:42 AM
lets look at their most recent head to head

melo has big numbers and drains the game winner in lebron's face

lebron is outplayed by his star teammates and can only score on transition :lol

People on ISH don't watch games. They only check the box scores.

Crose
11-03-2014, 05:54 AM
People on ISH don't watch games. They only check the box scores.
yeah melo being a more skilled scorer in every way except transition and finishing at the rim means lebron is a better scorer :lol

navy
11-03-2014, 09:08 AM
yeah melo being a more skilled scorer in every way except transition and finishing at the rim means lebron is a better scorer :lol
It does because the gap between Lebron's finishing and Melos is way bigger than the advantage Melo has shooting. Why Lebron scores more points on higher efficiency.

And it shows in their playoff scoring. Look at Melo' s playoff scoring and honestly say he is comparable to Lebron. :oldlol:

He isnt.

2P 0-3 3-10 10-16 16 <3 3P
.524 .721 .401 .349 .367 .333
.435 .513 .355 .429 .364 .320

What happened to Melo's skills? :roll:

TheReal Kendall
11-03-2014, 09:12 AM

Refs don't respect Melo either. Lebron and other stars get way more calls.

Lebronxrings
11-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Refs don't respect Melo either. Lebron and other stars get way more calls.
u aint getting calls when you push off and jack shots all the time.

Lebronxrings
11-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Anyways in terms of scoring this is how i put it:
Lebron (Overall)

Durant (with free throws)
Kobe(with triangle)
melo (regular season)

Kobe(no triangle)

Durant(no free thows)

Melo(playoffs)