PDA

View Full Version : Best cold weather jackets

andgar923
11-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Let me rephrase that....

Best cold as f*ck freezing jackets.

As some may or may not know, Im an L.A. native living in Ottawa and it gets freezing here. Im gonna invest in a good down jacket/coat since I need to walk and wait for the bus.

The most obvious choice is Canada Goose, but those are everywhere, Patagonia appears to make some good ones as well. North Face are also popular but they look meh. I still want to stay warm and not look like a mess.

Here are a few companies that look appealing and Im wondering if anybody has tried them since online reviews are scarce.

Mackage, Moose Knuckle, and Nobis

All have 90% down and appear to be warm while still being stylish. Has anybody used these?

Does anybody else have a recommendation?

Im trying to stay under $800, since I still gotta buy boots and winter pants. Jeans and base layer simply won't do when it reaches below 40 and I'm waiting for the bus for 30 minutes.

Thanks

Im Still Ballin
11-03-2014, 10:03 AM
http://share.gifyoutube.com/vMgPzO.gif

Jailblazers7
11-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I've never bought a jacket really intended as cold weather gear. I mostly just wear pea coats and that type of shit since I'm not very bothered by the cold. My only advice is to get a coat that is a bit long (comes down to mid thigh). That extra protection is clutch when it is windy.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 10:47 AM
I've never bought a jacket really intended as cold weather gear. I mostly just wear pea coats and that type of shit since I'm not very bothered by the cold. My only advice is to get a coat that is a bit long (comes down to mid thigh). That extra protection is clutch when it is windy.

Almost all of the coats I'm interested in are below the waist, only a few are mid thigh. Just more comfortable to walk and sit in. I have to walk for 15 minutes to catch my bus and at times I gotta run.

The ones I am looking at do offer a zipper that allows me to sit down more comfortably.

KevinNYC
11-03-2014, 11:17 AM
The most obvious choice is Canada Goose, but those are everywhere

ever think there is a reason for that?

ballinhun8
11-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Ottawa or Canada cold is different cold than East Coast/Northeast cold.

I would go Columbia, North Face, Marmot. Peacoats are nice like jailblazers said but I wear those primarily as an evening out coat rather than everyday wear.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 07:41 PM
ever think there is a reason for that?

I understand why.

I just figured they can't be the only ones, apart from wanting something different.

oarabbus
11-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Let me rephrase that....

Best cold as f*ck freezing jackets.

As some may or may not know, Im an L.A. native living in Ottawa and it gets freezing here. Im gonna invest in a good down jacket/coat since I need to walk and wait for the bus.

The most obvious choice is Canada Goose, but those are everywhere, Patagonia appears to make some good ones as well. North Face are also popular but they look meh. I still want to stay warm and not look like a mess.

Here are a few companies that look appealing and Im wondering if anybody has tried them since online reviews are scarce.

Mackage, Moose Knuckle, and Nobis

All have 90% down and appear to be warm while still being stylish. Has anybody used these?

Does anybody else have a recommendation?

Im trying to stay under $800, since I still gotta buy boots and winter pants. Jeans and base layer simply won't do when it reaches below 40 and I'm waiting for the bus for 30 minutes.

Thanks

Cold is like, below 50 degrees I believe.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Cold is like, below 50 degrees I believe.

yup

9erempiree
11-03-2014, 07:52 PM
yup

Didn't you ask this same question last year when you were moving there. I remember that thread because people were arguing over which is the best.

Can't believe you waited a year later and still looking for a jacket.:lol

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 07:56 PM
The best way to stay warm, dry, and a bit mobile is:

1) Skin tight base layer. Smartwool or Icebreaker are best if it doesn't make you itch. Otherwise go synthetic like Patagonia's line.

2) Fleece insulating layer. I've had Patagonia Synchilla's since the 90's and the basic ones can be had for cheap on Ebay.

3) Water and windproof shell. Gore-tex or E-vent if you can afford them.

I don't bother with insulation on my legs. Just Smartwool leggings and wind resistant soft-shell pants.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Didn't you ask this same question last year when you were moving there. I remember that thread because people were arguing over which is the best.

Can't believe you waited a year later and still looking for a jacket.:lol

LOL

Yeah

Different circumstances tho.

I managed to get by back then since I wasn't working for the first couple months, and when I did I was getting a ride.

Now I gotta bus 90% of the time.

I was also on a tighter budget back then, now I can invest in something good.

andgar923
11-03-2014, 08:16 PM
The best way to stay warm, dry, and a bit mobile is:

1) Skin tight base layer. Smartwool or Icebreaker are best if it doesn't make you itch. Otherwise go synthetic like Patagonia's line.

2) Fleece insulating layer. I've had Patagonia Synchilla's since the 90's and the basic ones can be had for cheap on Ebay.

3) Water and windproof shell. Gore-tex or E-vent if you can afford them.

I don't bother with insulation on my legs. Just Smartwool leggings and wind resistant soft-shell pants.

Got me some Ice Breakers.

I used to wear Ice Breakers, with some other wool based layers, along with a sweater, wool hoodie, and jacket. I was walking like a f*ckin oompa loompa and was still cold.

My internal organs would be shaking just walking from the store to the parking lot (30 second walk from hell).

If I was that cold walking 30 seconds I can't fathom how freezing I'll be busing for 1.5 hours + and transferring to 3 buses.