PDA

View Full Version : Devonta Pollard (Former top basketball recruit) sends Mother to 25 years in Prison

ArbitraryWater
11-03-2014, 11:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11783790/can-former-alabama-top-recruit-devonta-pollard-start-houston?ex_cid=sportscenterFB

Damn.. Can't blame him though.

Pushxx
11-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Cliffnotes?

wakencdukest
11-03-2014, 08:52 PM
What a stupid bitch. He's better off without her.

dilley
11-04-2014, 12:38 AM
reading is for ******s, stupid thread

AirTupac
11-04-2014, 12:39 AM
Yeah If I'm not doing my readings at school, I sure as hell am not gonna read all that shit :oldlol:

Smook A.
11-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Sorry, but I'm not reading all that. Someone summarize it.

ArbitraryWater
11-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Man I don't even know... I made this thread so someone could give ME the cliffnotes.

Draz
11-04-2014, 03:28 PM
black man
mother of black man
friends of black man and mom
kidnaps child of a cousin
goes to jail for 20 years

Thorpesaurous
11-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Already financially burdened family. Kid is McD All American with Marcus Smart class. Dad dies of pancreatic cancer as HS Soph. Then his house is struck by lightning and burns down.

Mother was a local basketball star in her youth. She is overbearing on the son, and trains him into the ground.

Mother owns a small piece of property that is forclosed on. Her cousin buys the property from the bank. Mother is furious.

Mother (by all accounts) arranged a kidnapping of the cousin's daughter. Kid is made to testify and his testimony is part of what puts her away (basically he drove to meet her a few times, unkowing of what she was doing, but it put together her movements, and pretty much got her locked up after she stubbernly wouldn't take a plea deal).

Kid went to Alabama for a year but depression and dealing with the case along with scoring 4 pts a game sent him home. He went to local Juco. Playing this year at Houston with coaching reclamation project Kelvin Sampson of Indiana fame.

(Who needs cliff notes of my cliffnotes?)
Decent read actually.

ArbitraryWater
11-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Already financially burdened family. Kid is McD All American with Marcus Smart class. Dad dies of pancreatic cancer as HS Soph. Then his house is struck by lightning and burns down.

Mother was a local basketball star in her youth. She is overbearing on the son, and trains him into the ground.

Mother owns a small piece of property that is forclosed on. Her cousin buys the property from the bank. Mother is furious.

Mother (by all accounts) arranged a kidnapping of the cousin's daughter. Kid is made to testify and his testimony is part of what puts her away (basically he drove to meet her a few times, unkowing of what she was doing, but it put together her movements, and pretty much got her locked up after she stubbernly wouldn't take a plea deal).

Kid went to Alabama for a year but depression and dealing with the case along with scoring 4 pts a game sent him home. He went to local Juco. Playing this year at Houston with coaching reclamation project Kelvin Sampson of Indiana fame.

Decent read actually.

RedBlackAttack
11-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Damn... whoever is the editor at espn needs to tell these writers they aren't real writers and this isn't a damn novel.
It's a feature story, not a straight news piece. :oldlol:

It is pretty long though.

Thorpesaurous
11-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I kinda dig these long form big research pieces. This was the second I read from ESPN linked from here today. The other was a No One Wants to Play With Kobe piece.

It seemed like Grantland had sorta cornered the market on this stuff these days. It reminds me of the stuff I read as a kid from SI and Sport magazine.

MadeFromDust
11-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Cliffnotes?
His mother's cousin took advantage of her hardships and purchased her foreclosed property and wouldn't let her retrieve her stuff. The rest is downhill from there. Her own cousin is the prime evildoer in this case, imo. :banghead:

Thorpesaurous
11-05-2014, 08:56 AM
His mother's cousin took advantage of her hardships and purchased her foreclosed property and wouldn't let her retrieve her stuff. The rest is downhill from there. Her own cousin is the prime evildoer in this case, imo. :banghead:

There's some pretty ugly stuff in there about the kidnapping. And some of it comes off as irrefutable. Like the threatening texts.

She asks Devonta to meet her somewhere and bring a pair of pliars and some other tool, and then later they imply that they were going to be used for torture, which hadn't even occurred to me as I read it. I thought it was going to be used to break in somewhere or something. It makes the mother seem pretty evil. But nothing else in the story speaks to that. And she won't talk about the case because it's under appeal, but the way it's written it seems pretty open and closed.

2LeTTeRS
11-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Decent read actually.

Great summary; just forgot to mention that prior to him testifying against her the mother was offered a plea deal that would keep him out of jail; but declined becuase in her words the deal "wouldn't help her in any way."

What a bitch.

2LeTTeRS
11-07-2014, 02:14 PM

I agree that the cousin is an asshole; but everything she did was in her legal rights. Also from my understanding of foreclosure, Devonta's mom had a window to retrieve her private property within the barn when the bank first foreclosed it (although I doubt they would allow her to take the actual barn); but for whatever reason it seems that she didn't.

Thorpesaurous
11-07-2014, 03:49 PM
I agree that the cousin is an asshole; but everything she did was in her legal rights. Also from my understanding of foreclosure, Devonta's mom had a window to retrieve her private property within the barn when the bank first foreclosed it (although I doubt they would allow her to take the actual barn); but for whatever reason it seems that she didn't.

There's definitely some things about the mother that are not being said in this article.