PDA

View Full Version : I Think You're An Idiot If You Only Vote For One Party

DwnShft2Xcelr8
11-03-2014, 12:18 PM
All Republican or all Democrat exclusive voters are morons.
I vote based on the person. I don't care about his party affiliation. If I'm interested enough in the race, I may even do research to find out about his past.
I'm neither Republican nor a Democrat. I don't view myself as a member of either party. Why? Because both sides are full of morons, but among the morons are a few standouts who deserve recognition every once in a while.
I don't know much about politics. And I don't pretend to know much either. What I do know is there are thousands of Republican voters in CA right now who won't vote Yes on Prop 1 & 2 (related to the water consumption in CA; these are propositions to help with funding to protect against massive drought, such as the one we're experiencing now) because Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, endorsed the propositions.
That's stupid as fck.

What's going on in your side of the country/world? Are there idiots like this everywhere or is it mostly just Californians who are this fcking dumb?

KevinNYC
11-03-2014, 12:25 PM
I don't know much about politics.

Thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
11-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Nitpick one sentence, ignore everything else. Thanks. Already figured you out.

Anyway, voters need to be more open-minded when voting. If you're going to vote exclusively for the Democratic party, be sure you know who each person is. Don't just vote for them because they share the same party affiliation as you. Same goes for Republicans.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm under the impression that you're not old enough to vote for anything but homecoming queen.

ItsMillerTime
11-03-2014, 12:55 PM

I agree with this. They can't think for themselves so they'll just vote what their party wants them to.

MavsSuperFan
11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
I agree with this. They can't think for themselves so they'll just vote what their party wants them to.

I vote based on the person. I don't care about his party affiliation. If I'm interested enough in the race, I may even do research to find out about his past.
I'm neither Republican nor a Democrat. I don't view myself as a member of either party. Why? Because both sides are full of morons, but among the morons are a few standouts who deserve recognition every once in a while.
I don't know much about politics. And I don't pretend to know much either. What I do know is there are thousands of Republican voters in CA right now who won't vote Yes on Prop 1 & 2 (related to the water consumption in CA; these are propositions to help with funding to protect against massive drought, such as the one we're experiencing now) because Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, endorsed the propositions.
That's stupid as fck.

What's going on in your side of the country/world? Are there idiots like this everywhere or is it mostly just Californians who are this fcking dumb?
contrary to popular opinion most GOP candidates vote/advocate for a set of values and polices, and most DNC candidates do the same for their party's platform.

You have a few people that break the mold, Eg. Rand Paul will be anti war, anti military spending, anti government contracts/pork barrel spending (stuff like defense spending that many congressmen love because it creates jobs in their home districts), supports legalization of drugs, etc.

and you will have a few dems that break with the party on certain issues, Eg. warren. you will have some independents like bernie sanders.

But in large part the typical democrat votes like a robot for the policies his party leaders push for, and the exact same thing is true for the average republican.

Voting for a single party is often the only logical policy. The average GOP candidate agrees with each other on most issues. the same is true for the average democrat. If you were voting for both you would at one time probably be voting for contradictory policy.

In a lot of cases having certain beliefs should dictate you towards voting exclusively for one party if you are being logical. This doesnt mean that you agree with all the policies of that party, however most people know what stuff they care about the most, what stuff they need, vs what stuff the would prefer/want. Logically you should vote for the party whose platform is most desirable towards you. This will often result in voting exclusively for the GOP or the DNC.

Eg. if you have very high income or are set to inherit an estate with a huge value, and you prioritize your own financial condition above that of the nation, if you want intelligent design/creationism taught in schools, if you want a more assertive foreign policy/more military spending/strong national defense, if you want a more Christian nation, more gun rights, etc you would be behaving wildly illogically by not voting for the GOP

vice versa

if you dont want voter ID laws and or biased gerrymandering (state level elections) or depend on any form of welfare (social security, medicare, etc) or care about civil rights of minority groups or etc, want a less assertive/more cooperative foreign policy, no religion in schools, more gun restrictions, etc you are also behaving illogically by not voting for the DNC

America has pretty consistent political platforms across the 2 parties. Regional differences do occur, Eg. the GOP in california is not the same as the GOP in texas or other southern states. Blue dog democrats are not the same as those in the progressive caucus

russwest0
11-03-2014, 01:40 PM
You're an idiot if you vote period.

America's voting system is retarded and only benefits the majority.

At least in other countries when a candidate loses by getting *only* 49% of the vote the people that voted for that candidate will get some sort of representation in their political office.

The Alternative Vote would be a much better system to go to for America. Maybe then I'd start to give a shit about voting.

travelingman
11-03-2014, 02:43 PM
To be fair, you just "figured (him) out" based on one sentence, so...

theballerFKA Ace
11-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Slightly off topic but I think the country runs best when the balance of power is not too lopsided. If one party controls the executive branch and the entire legislative branch, it alienates half of the country causing mild to severe hopelessness, and hurts consumer confidence.

KevinNYC
11-03-2014, 03:33 PM

I'll spell it out for you, the example you give does not illustrate the problem you state.

You say you need to consider the person not the party and then you the example not of people but ballot initiatives.

You also ignore the fact that Republicans oppose these ballots on there own merits.

But in general, my comment was directed at the arrogance of calling people morons when you admit you don't know much about the subject.

KevinNYC
11-03-2014, 03:39 PM
contrary to popular opinion most GOP candidates vote/advocate for a set of values and polices, and most DNC candidates do the same for their party's platform.

You have a few people that break the mold, Eg. Rand Paul will be anti war, anti military spending, anti government contracts/pork barrel spending (stuff like defense spending that many congressmen love because it creates jobs in their home districts), supports legalization of drugs, etc.

and you will have a few dems that break with the party on certain issues, Eg. warren. you will have some independents like bernie sanders.

But in large part the typical democrat votes like a robot for the policies his party leaders push for, and the exact same thing is true for the average republican.

Voting for a single party is often the only logical policy. The average GOP candidate agrees with each other on most issues. the same is true for the average democrat. If you were voting for both you would at one time probably be voting for contradictory policy.

In a lot of cases having certain beliefs should dictate you towards voting exclusively for one party if you are being logical. This doesnt mean that you agree with all the policies of that party, however most people know what stuff they care about the most, what stuff they need, vs what stuff the would prefer/want. Logically you should vote for the party whose platform is most desirable towards you. This will often result in voting exclusively for the GOP or the DNC.

Eg. if you have very high income or are set to inherit an estate with a huge value, and you prioritize your own financial condition above that of the nation, if you want intelligent design/creationism taught in schools, if you want a more assertive foreign policy/more military spending/strong national defense, if you want a more Christian nation, more gun rights, etc you would be behaving wildly illogically by not voting for the GOP

vice versa

if you dont want voter ID laws and or biased gerrymandering (state level elections) or depend on any form of welfare (social security, medicare, etc) or care about civil rights of minority groups or etc, want a less assertive/more cooperative foreign policy, no religion in schools, more gun restrictions, etc you are also behaving illogically by not voting for the DNC

America has pretty consistent political platforms across the 2 parties. Regional differences do occur, Eg. the GOP in california is not the same as the GOP in texas or other southern states. Blue dog democrats are not the same as those in the progressive caucus

do you consider Social Security welfare?

KevinNYC
11-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Thug or Moron? It comes down to your vote tomorrow.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/3vgppm/democalypse-2014---wait--how-the-f--k-does-that-happen-

Niko, is this your district?

This is a great editorial.

[QUOTE]Desperate times call for desperate measures, and beyond all doubt we are desperate in considering the choice for Congress in the district representing Staten Island and southern Brooklyn.

In Domenic Recchia, the Democrats have fielded a candidate so dumb, ill-informed, evasive and inarticulate that voting for a thuggish Republican who could wind up in a prison jumpsuit starts to make rational sense.

At least Michael Grimm can string three sentences together in arguing that he deserves the presumption of innocence on federal criminal charges stemming from his past operation of a restaurant.

Should he be convicted, Grimm has promised to resign, paving the way for a match between two fresh candidates. All the better.

Recchia, a former councilman, is clueless as to the issues. He accomplished the unprecedented feat of failing to give a single coherent answer when he was interviewed hoping for the Daily News endorsement.

He was equally incoherent in debates. Even in his best showing, on Tuesday night, he couldn

SCREWstonRockets
11-03-2014, 09:14 PM
I agree. I think there should be no parties. That way folks can't just vote straight Democrat or Republican. People would actually have to pay attention and know who and what they are voting for.

MadeFromDust
11-04-2014, 02:14 AM
I only vote for non-Demonrats and men

theballerFKA Ace
11-04-2014, 03:07 AM
Thug or Moron? It comes down to your vote tomorrow.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/3vgppm/democalypse-2014---wait--how-the-f--k-does-that-happen-

Niko, is this your district?

This is a great editorial.

Domenic Recchia ain't got nothin' on Alvin Green the 2010 South Carolina Democrat nominee for the senate race. Guy was unemployed and lived with his dad. Worse yet he was facing charges for sexually harassing an 18 year old and had trouble putting 2 words together. Some say he was a Republican plant, and they got the dumbest black guy possible because they knew he could still beat the 4-time Congressman, former judge for the Democrat nomination as long as his skin was not white.

Alvin Greene

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_HER2pGdAak

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tec68Hce_g

This was the best part of his campaign :oldlol:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar09czbfE8o

Guy makes Sarah Palin looks like JPL Team X analyst

Republicans have put forth some real mouth breathers but this guy..w..t..f..:facepalm

GimmeThat
11-04-2014, 06:28 AM
well,

who the hell is going to go watch all the sports game and purchase luxury goods then?

DwnShft2Xcelr8
11-04-2014, 12:58 PM
To be fair, you just "figured (him) out" based on one sentence, so...

No, I've figured him out for a while. He's one of those posters, like Deuce Wallace, who don't offer anything to the forum except bashing everyone if they disagree with them in any way, shape or form.

Dresta
11-04-2014, 03:10 PM

vice versa

And why exactly are those views grouped together? There is nothing logically congruous about them; you are simply constructing an artificial ideal and using it to interpret the world in a way that fits your inclinations. You've literally grouped all the things you think are good under the Democratic category (no surprise there) and everything you dislike under the Republican one. In reality, the differences between the parties are inconsequential as they both work to preserve and uphold the status quo, and politicians are perennially bent on expanding their power and influence.

Not only have you reduced the political world to a binary platitude, but you've also provided a perfect example of the kind of thinking that has made contemporary democracy the farce it is today: a landscape completely devoid of principle, where political parties govern instead through the granting of favours to particular groups. You admit it yourself in your post that it is about either protecting one's property or using the force of government to take property from others. Political parties should have coherent and congruous principles, not simply be representatives of particular interests who have cobbled together a majority vote by using the power of government to grant political favours. People were never supposed to vote for particular policies (the founders saw enough examples in the ancient world attesting to the dangers of this kind of democratic rule), they were meant to vote for parties that adhere to concrete principles (that they shared), and then for those better informed representatives to properly uphold these principles. American democracy was instituted as a check on power, not a means of dictating policy (something the majority should never do).

MavsSuperFan
11-04-2014, 03:47 PM
do you consider Social Security welfare?
i dont consider welfare necessarily a bad thing, and yes

DukeDelonte13
11-04-2014, 03:55 PM
it depends on what office.

Judge, mayor, council person, etc, most municipal positions party affiliation means nothing in terms of policy.

party affiliation matters when voting for sate rep/state senate and fed. house and senate.

MavsSuperFan
11-05-2014, 10:24 PM
And why exactly are those views grouped together? There is nothing logically congruous about them; you are simply constructing an artificial ideal and using it to interpret the world in a way that fits your inclinations. You've literally grouped all the things you think are good under the Democratic category (no surprise there) and everything you dislike under the Republican one. In reality, the differences between the parties are inconsequential as they both work to preserve and uphold the status quo, and politicians are perennially bent on expanding their power and influence.

Not only have you reduced the political world to a binary platitude, but you've also provided a perfect example of the kind of thinking that has made contemporary democracy the farce it is today: a landscape completely devoid of principle, where political parties govern instead through the granting of favours to particular groups. You admit it yourself in your post that it is about either protecting one's property or using the force of government to take property from others. Political parties should have coherent and congruous principles, not simply be representatives of particular interests who have cobbled together a majority vote by using the power of government to grant political favours. People were never supposed to vote for particular policies (the founders saw enough examples in the ancient world attesting to the dangers of this kind of democratic rule), they were meant to vote for parties that adhere to concrete principles (that they shared), and then for those better informed representatives to properly uphold these principles. American democracy was instituted as a check on power, not a means of dictating policy (something the majority should never do).

And why exactly are those views grouped together? There is nothing logically congruous about them; you are simply constructing an artificial ideal and using it to interpret the world in a way that fits your inclinations.
those views are grouped together because that is the reality of the situation in 2014 america. Name one thing i listed that the GOP supports (relative to the DNC) that they dont and name one thing I listed that the DNC supports (relative to the GOP) that they dont?

I have constructed nothing merely stated policies of the 2 relevant american parties.

You've literally grouped all the things you think are good under the Democratic category (no surprise there) and everything you dislike under the Republican one.

1. is anything you feel i have grouped wrong? what in that grouping is inaccurate?
2.your wrong. there are issues i agree with the GOP on.

Personally I like an assertive foreign policy. and while I dont mind cooperation with allies, america's interests should always dominate.

I think america's high military spending yields far more benefits than most Americans appreciate. Eg. in diplomacy and international trade.
The opinion of Washington is disproportionately relevant to world leaders around the world. our military strength is a huge factor in this.

I own guns.

I support the death penalty

And selfishly I would benefit with the GOP's economic preferences.
there are issues that I would be ok with the GOP winning, despite the damage to the nation and the world. eg. I am invested in hydraulic fracturing

In reality, the differences between the parties are inconsequential as they both work to preserve and uphold the status quo, and politicians are perennially bent on expanding their power and influence.
there are clear differences between the GOP and DNC.
the status quo in america is fine imo. Personally would be totally against radical change.

Not only have you reduced the political world to a binary platitude, but you've also provided a perfect example of the kind of thinking that has made contemporary democracy the farce it is today:

there is no law preventing 3rd parties. go ahead big guy start one.
if you get enough people to support your party then perfect. you are just mad that not that many people agree with you

a landscape completely devoid of principle, where political parties govern instead through the granting of favours to particular groups.
your opinion.

what if my principles is to provide social security to old people? what if my principles include providing health care to the poor? what if my principles including providing a quality education regardless of wealth? What if my principle is to allow all consenting adults to marry as they wish? what if my principles are to allow women to have easy access to abortions?

Nothing wrong with advocating and helping groups of people imo. if you get enough people to support it and elect you, thats democracy. government should do stuff for the people.

who are you to say what principles are appropriate?

Political parties should have coherent and congruous principles, not simply be representatives of particular interests who have cobbled together a majority vote by using the power of government to grant political favours.
Why? seriously what advantage is there in ideological rigidity? if a group of people find each other views acceptable (even if somewhat distasteful) combine as a voting block and work to enact their policy preferences, whats wrong with that, as long as it doesnt infringe on another parties civil rights?

and also nowhere on earth does your ludicrous hypothetical exist.

ople were never supposed to vote for particular policies (the founders saw enough examples in the ancient world attesting to the dangers of this kind of democratic rule), they were meant to vote for parties that adhere to concrete principles (that they shared), and then for those better informed representatives to properly uphold these principles. American democracy was instituted as a check on power, not a means of dictating policy (something the majority should never do)
**** the founders. why would i care that much about the opinions of men that are by modern standards so incredibly immoral.

it wasn't until 1850 that white men got universal suffrage. the founders intended the nation to be ruled by property owning/rich white men.
http://i.imgur.com/ScynVlN.png
http://www.infoplease.com/timelines/voting.html

unless its explicitly stated in the Constitution it should have no effect on modern legislators. and even then the constitution can be amended.

Eg the constitution was amended

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

This amendment shall not be so construed as to affect the election or term of any Senator chosen before it becomes valid as part of the Constitution
17th amendment giving us the right to elect senators rather than them being appointed or selected by state legislatures

Horde of Temujin
11-05-2014, 10:34 PM
What about voting only for two? Stupid, stupid, stupid

MadeFromDust
11-06-2014, 03:11 AM
Some people are just way too wordy for a hoops forum :rolleyes: tl;dr

GimmeThat
11-06-2014, 07:29 AM
it depends on what office.

Judge, mayor, council person, etc, most municipal positions party affiliation means nothing in terms of policy.

party affiliation matters when voting for sate rep/state senate and fed. house and senate.

in Italic, we have the kids who skips school

in Bold, we have the people who *cough* *cough* have obligations

Stempel, HERB
11-06-2014, 10:09 AM
No, I've figured him out for a while. He's one of those posters, like Deuce Wallace, who don't offer anything to the forum except bashing everyone if they disagree with them in any way, shape or form.

Your brilliant argument was dismantled quickly and easily. Old Kevin didn't even have to use one full paragraph on you. And here we have your insecurity shining through. Really surprised you didn't quit the forum like you did the last time someone undressed you as an idiot.