PDA

View Full Version : Are there any jobs that...

russwest0
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
1. Give Weekends Off Every Week
2. Allow for flexible scheduling for people like College Students
3. Don't make you work any later than say 8-9PM.

I'm currently working at another shit retail job and wondering why I even do this. It goes the same way at every retail job; everyone stands around and bitches about shit and I do nothing but work my whole shift and end up doing most of the work. I don't totally care that no one else works, but you add in bitchy customers into the equation and then the fact that 90% of my coworkers are women who create drama that they get consumed in, it sucks.

They are already giving me 15+ more hours than I want but I can't currently ask for less because the manager that hired me just quit. Oh, and the one off day I have next week, the day I have three different classes spread out, they created a mandatory work meeting to address all the "drama" these bitches make a big deal about, so I have to go up there for 15 minutes for no f*cking reason on my off day.

Not to mention I'm paid the least there out of everyone but only started like 2 months ago so am not in a position to make demands.

I'm sick of these retail jobs that f*ck me over when I just want to finish up college while working around 20-25 hours a week at a good job.

What are some jobs I should start searching for?

oarabbus
11-03-2014, 04:13 PM
1. Give Weekends Off Every Week
2. Allow for flexible scheduling for people like College Students
3. Don't make you work any later than say 8-9PM.

Yeah but they're office jobs and you need a college degree to get one most likely

RidonKs
11-03-2014, 04:16 PM
bitch moan bitch moan bitch moan BREATHE

DukeDelonte13
11-03-2014, 04:21 PM
suck it up and work weekends, i used to work at a paint store that was only open until eight, but i worked 9 out of 10 weekends in a row consistently. Such is the life of a part-timer.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Working 5-6 days a week totaling 36-37 hours a week, paired with 4 days of college for 13 hours plus all the homework that comes with it.

Retail jobs suck total ass and it's gone down the same way at all of the ones I work at. The other two I've had the managers literally pleaded to me not to leave because they knew how much work I was actually doing in terms of stocking shit and keeping the backroom and the store clean.

Most people work within a limit that they set for themselves so that they coast and don't do too much. I don't do that. I'm there to work until it's time for me to leave. I don't even take breaks at my current job and most of my shifts are 8 hours long.

I have no problem doing a bunch of work, at retail stores it just feels f*cking pointless because the pay is complete shit and you're working with a bunch of f*cktards who actually are trying to make a career in retail yet just stand around and b*tch about shit and converse with one another and don't do half as much work as they could be doing.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Go wait tables. Paid my way through college.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 04:24 PM
suck it up and work weekends, i used to work at a paint store that was only open until eight, but i worked 9 out of 10 weekends in a row consistently. Such is the life of a part-timer.

I'll work weekends as long as I have a consistent schedule and get off somewhat early.

My phrasing in the OP was more or less wondering if there was a perfect job out there for college students. But I expect to have to compromise somewhere.

With retail you compromise basically all across the board though. The pay is shit, your coworkers are usually shit, you have to deal with shit customers, in my case I always get f*cked with too many hours, and the scheduling is highly sporadic so you never get into any comfortable rhythm.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 04:41 PM
You're some kid in college.

Beggars can't be choosers. Be happy you have a job and are in school.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 04:44 PM
You're some kid in college.

Beggars can't be choosers. Be happy you have a job and are in school.

Yeah, I know.

And I'm kind of happy but thats part of who I am, I'm always trying to keep moving forward. And also because right now I don't know if I can keep going pairing school and work together for 50+ hour weeks for the next 2 years while I finish school.

I've had 4 jobs so far and all 3 of my old ones tried pretty hard to get me to stay. I show up, don't ever complain about anything, and do my job.

I just don't see why I have to keep being a good worker at shit retail jobs that hardcore take advantadge of me while paying me complete shit.

Just a week ago one of my coworkers got another b*tch fired over a fight that started based on who I was going to help do THEIR job. I basically go completely unnoticed helping these bitches do all of their work while I get paid less than them.

KyleKong
11-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Doesn't Chick-Fil-A always close on Sunday?

chips93
11-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Working 5-6 days a week totaling 36-37 hours a week, paired with 4 days of college for 13 hours plus all the homework that comes with it.

13 hours is a pretty cushy college schedule

if you are a part time worker, and in college, you just have to get used to working weekends, and late shifts. there isnt any way around it.

rezznor
11-03-2014, 04:57 PM
for a college kid, being a waiter at a good restaurant is probably your best bang for the buck. If you have to do retail, do an upscale store like neimans or saks, or an upscale boutique like hermes or ysl. you won't have to deal with as many customers and the ones that do come in spend a shit ton. of course, you would need a certain look and personality to work there.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I know.

And I'm kind of happy but thats part of who I am, I'm always trying to keep moving forward. And also because right now I don't know if I can keep going pairing school and work together for 50+ hour weeks for the next 2 years while I finish school.

I've had 4 jobs so far and all 3 of my old ones tried pretty hard to get me to stay. I show up, don't ever complain about anything, and do my job.

I just don't see why I have to keep being a good worker at shit retail jobs that hardcore take advantadge of me while paying me complete shit.

Just a week ago one of my coworkers got another b*tch fired over a fight that started based on who I was going to help do THEIR job. I basically go completely unnoticed helping these bitches do all of their work while I get paid less than them.

That schedule is pretty cush man. Thirteen hours a semester is a joke. You have to suck it up.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:03 PM
That schedule is pretty cush man. Thirteen hours a semester is a joke. You have to suck it up.

13 ain't necessarily a joke, but it ain't tough either.

It's when you add in a job hiring you for 20 hours a week and then giving you 37 hours a week consistently after your first week working there that shit gets a little tough and feels a bit too annoying to be working for when getting shit pay.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Thirteen is a joke. That's 3 classes and probably 1 bullshit credit to top it off. You should be able to handle a 50 hours cumulative schedule. You're a teen or early 20 year old and have zero real world responsibilities.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Thirteen is a joke. That's 3 classes and probably 1 bullshit credit to top it off. You should be able to handle a 50 hours cumulative schedule. You're a teen or early 20 year old and have zero real world responsibilities.

it's four classes and one lab.

and I can handle it, but college is all about GPA and it'd be so much fukking easier to get a higher GPA with a job that wasn't completely shit.

J Shuttlesworth
11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
I have a job like OP described. I pick my own hours, own schedule, and can work on weekends if i want to, but don't

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:15 PM
I have a job like OP described. I pick my own hours, own schedule, and can work on weekends if i want to, but don't

let me guess, some sort of content creator?

ace23
11-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Whether or not 13 hours is a joke depends on what his major is and what school he attends. Lol

KyleKong
11-03-2014, 05:24 PM

:biggums:

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Whether or not 13 hours is a joke depends on what his major is and what school he attends. Lol

13 is nothing no matter what you're doing. Especially as a kid with no real responsibilities.

ace23
11-03-2014, 05:26 PM
13 is nothing no matter what you're doing. Especially as a kid with no real responsibilities.
False.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:28 PM

responsibilities like what? having a kid?

I'll have the same responsibilities I have now after I'm done with college. The difference is life will be way less stressful and way more carefree. I'll get actual off days where I don't have to do a bunch of homework and go to school on, I'll get paid more, I'll maybe actually get sick pay and shit like that. Or medical insurance. Who knows man, it just sounds like the dream.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Like a mortgage, a house, maintaining a house, a real job that will be harder than your 13 hours a week of class, a kid, a couple dogs, living with a woman.

Your life will never be easier than it is now. College is bullshit.

Go wait tables and finish your degree.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:39 PM
My life will absolutely be easier than it is now.

After college when I'm working what, 2-3 more hours a week with absolutely zero college class and homework?

The f*cking dream.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 05:40 PM
OK, whatever you think kid. Good luck.

russwest0
11-03-2014, 05:41 PM
OK, whatever you think kid. Good luck.

Not everyone feels pressures to get married, have a kid, and live in a house that they can't afford.

I can be happy in a shitty apartment as long as I have at least a little free time to continue developing myself and goals and maybe even relax a little bit.

And also, for me personally, I pride myself on finding the best ways to eliminate monthly payments and keep a flexible income. So money won't be a stress factor in my life.

ArbitraryWater
11-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Imma have you in my prayers, Simon

glidedrxlr22
11-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Maybe all your female co-workers need is a little D.

DeuceWallaces
11-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Not everyone feels pressures to get married, have a kid, and live in a house that they can't afford.

I can be happy in a shitty apartment as long as I have at least a little free time to continue developing myself and goals and maybe even relax a little bit.

And also, for me personally, I pride myself on finding the best ways to eliminate monthly payments and keep a flexible income. So money won't be a stress factor in my life.

You have no idea what your life will be like.

You're complaining about money right now. It's already a stress factor. It will only get worse.

Patrick Chewing
11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Get a government job, but even that is a pipe dream.

I'm in Retail Management and I have to work Saturday's. The world is changing and working weekends is just part of the norm now. We live in a growing ever-changing society where demands must be met.

ballup
11-03-2014, 06:48 PM
1) Sternly ask for a less hours. Use studying as an excuse.
2) Don't work as hard. It doesn't look like you want to stay for much longer. Why put in the effort, especially if you aren't aiming for a raise?
3) Find a better retail job/temp job. Ask your interviewers the hours they are currently in need of people filling and ask about the process in how hours are scheduled for employees.

theballerFKA Ace
11-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Just wait till Christmas. :oldlol:

http://county10.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG957861.jpg

And if you're ever ambitious enough to become self employed, you will look back at these times and laugh at what you USED to think was a pain, when working 80+ hours a week.

Raymone
11-03-2014, 07:20 PM
A job where you work Mon-Fri 9-5? Sounds really rare. You may be out of luck.

BigBoss
11-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Go to college.

Get a 9-5.

Then you'll be miserable there.

I's a vicious cycle.

Working sucks. Less then 1% of the world I would say loves what they do.

oarabbus
11-03-2014, 07:45 PM
A job where you work Mon-Fri 9-5? Sounds really rare. You may be out of luck.

:roll:

Kblaze8855
11-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Put in applications at places that cash checks or handle bill payment...or try to be a bank teller. You dont get good money but you work business day hours...meaning usually no weekends.

Le Shaqtus
11-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Like a mortgage, a house, maintaining a house, a real job that will be harder than your 13 hours a week of class, a kid, a couple dogs, living with a woman.

Your life will never be easier than it is now. College is bullshit.

Go wait tables and finish your degree.

OP doesn't believe in tipping.

navy
11-03-2014, 09:28 PM
get a job at your university or one close by.....

russwest0
11-04-2014, 01:59 AM
**** its like the only jobs college kids can get are shitty retail ones

MadeFromDust
11-04-2014, 02:25 AM
I got 1. & 3. Don't really need/want 2. any more but it would be nice. I did manage to get evening shifts once so I could have that option so I guess I really have all 3

russwest0
11-04-2014, 02:41 AM
I wish there were work-from-home jobs out there for hard working honest people like me.

Bandito
11-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Teacher and school related jobs get at 4 the latest.

GimmeThat
11-04-2014, 07:05 AM
as you stated you got these hours because the manager who hired you just quit.

so maybe let the new manager "hire" you again with the hours you request

or really, any job like the one you got should meet your demand

GimmeThat
11-04-2014, 07:07 AM
I wish there were work-from-home jobs out there for hard working honest people like me.

hard working honest might not necessarily associate with having specialty, or specialized skill.

Tarik One
11-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Call center or desk job. At least you'll have the opportunity to bang out some studying as well as homework from your desk. It's very beneficial.

mlh1981
11-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I worked part time evenings and weekends, while maintaining a school schedule, and it seemed tough at the time, but failures and shortcomings back then didn't carry as many consequences. The older you get, the higher the stakes become. I don't own a home or have any kids, but, still, my own life seems a lot more difficult now, even though I have my weekends free.

thefatmiral
11-04-2014, 12:12 PM
there are part time jobs in education. sales with commission.

JohnnySic
11-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Everyone should work retail during their high school/college years. It will scare you into making something more of yourself. :lol

That said, working as a waiter/bussboy at a busy restaurant, you'll probably make more money, but your coworkers will most likely still suck. Basically, you'll always have that element until you get into a professional environment.

T_L_P
11-04-2014, 02:38 PM
PM'd you

russwest0
11-04-2014, 04:17 PM
PM'd you

:coleman:

oarabbus
11-04-2014, 04:25 PM
**** its like the only jobs college kids can get are shitty retail ones

Well yeah. Why the **** would they give you a good nonshitty job when you haven't proven yourself while other people have. If your uncle was a mechanic and you worked on cars with him you could find work in a shop no problem. Do you have any skills or experience?

russwest0
11-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Well yeah. Why the **** would they give you a good nonshitty job when you haven't proven yourself while other people have. If your uncle was a mechanic and you worked on cars with him you could find work in a shop no problem. Do you have any skills or experience?

retail is retarded. I've done it for like four years and the lowest paid new people do almost all of the work while the "experienced" people are usually older women who don't do jack shit.

There has to be a better job out there. I worked at UPS and had by far the biggest workload out of a good chunk of like 60 people doing the same job and I never once complained. The best thing about UPS though is I got hired on at 9.50 and after one year was making 11.00 an hr. And they just reached a new union agreement so every year I would have gotten an additional 70 cent raise as well. So I'd be at like 13 an hr right now with none of the retail bullshit.

What I'm saying is, maybe I can get a job where everyone has to do more work like in a warehouse or something. It just has to be college friendly and I only left UPS because my major at the time required that I take an 8AM class which created a schedule conflict.