PDA

View Full Version : Got lectured by a customer at work the other day; who was in the right?

russwest0
11-05-2014, 03:30 PM
I was on register and it was on halloween and she had some sort of costume and face paint but I didn't care enough to acknowledge it and she set her stuff up on the counter so I started ringing it out real fast and she said:

"well you look like you are just THRILLED to be here" (sarcasm)

me: "It's just retail man, no one cares."

her, looking disgusted: "well I used to work at a hospital so it could be worse. At least you aren't surrounded by the sick and dead."

me: "Yeah well you probably got paid more too"

and then she walked away all pissed off. Now believe me, I used to be all fake friendly and shit and then after 3 years of retail I started to realize how inconsiderate and assholish the average customer is, so I stopped giving a ****.

DeuceWallaces
11-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Well at least now we know you're a self-entitled dipshit.

russwest0
11-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Well at least now we know you're a self-entitled dipshit.

I ring out the fastest in that store by far and always end my shift within mere cents of what the drawer started out on.

So who gives a shit if I decide to be real with customers for a bit as opposed to being an overzealous fake happy jackass? The men that come in there certainly seem to respect my chill reserve more, and we get a few regulars in there who I bro down with, but this woman just looked disgusted that she wasn't getting the shopping "experience" by me putting on a fake smile while getting paid shit :lol

The way I see it, minimum wage = minimum effort. I used to be the young kid that worked his ass off and did everyone elses work while being nice to customers, but no longer will I give a ****.

oarabbus
11-05-2014, 03:41 PM
I was on register and it was on halloween and she had some sort of costume and face paint but I didn't care enough to acknowledge it and she set her stuff up on the counter so I started ringing it out real fast and she said:

her, looking disgusted: "well I used to work at a hospital so it could be worse. At least you aren't surrounded by the sick and dead."

and then she walked away all pissed off. Now believe me, I used to be all fake friendly and shit and then after 3 years of retail I started to realize how inconsiderate and assholish the average customer is, so I stopped giving a ****.

Did you say "hi" to her? If you didn't say anything and rang up her items while ignoring her then that isn't good customer service which is part of your job. If you did say "hi" etc, but just didn't say "WOW NICE MAKEUP LOL" then she's just being a *****. You should be respectful to customers, but they are paying you to check out items not pretend to love your job.

riseagainst
11-05-2014, 03:44 PM
did you say anything to her when she first walked up? Did you even raise your head and make eye contact?

russwest0
11-05-2014, 03:45 PM
I said "Hi, do you have a members card with us?"

And then started checking out like I do every customer. I could see in my peripherals that she was intently staring at me waiting for me to acknowledge her costume and shit, but I didn't give a **** though. You need friends, go find them or whatever. Don't look at me expecting me to give a ****. Minimum wage = minimum effort.

Le Shaqtus
11-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Man you're a real piece of work, no wonder you spend all your time on here, you're too much of a piece of shit to have friends in the real world :lol

russwest0
11-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Man you're a real piece of work, no wonder you spend all your time on here, you're too much of a piece of shit to have friends in the real world :lol

I don't spend much time on here anymore because I'm always with my friends.

And I want more time to chill with friends and shit, but this shitty ass job keeps giving me way more hours than I got hired on for, all because I showed up and did a bunch of work like any employee should. Not my fault the rest of your employees don't do shit. Keep my hours low cause I got a life and shit.

Le Shaqtus
11-05-2014, 04:01 PM

And I want more time to chill with friends and shit, but this shitty ass job keeps giving me way more hours than I got hired on for, all because I showed up and did a bunch of work like any employee should. Not my fault the rest of your employees don't do shit. Keep my hours low cause I got a life and shit.

You either go up to your manager and tell them you need less hours because of school or leave. I worked 35 hours during the summer at my restaurant they put me down to 15-20 because I told them I have school.

If your workplace isn't prepared to co-operate with your school schedule then you need to leave, and find something that works, even if it's a shittier job, if the hours are better then do it, school comes first.

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:02 PM
You either go up to your manager and tell them you need less hours because of school or leave. I worked 35 hours during the summer at my restaurant they put me down to 15-20 because I told them I have school.

If your workplace isn't prepared to co-operate with your school schedule then you need to leave, and find something that works, even if it's a shittier job, if the hours are better then do it, school comes first.

Yeah I'll do it once they get a new manager since the old one quit cause she was tired of all the women she hired not doing shit.

The funniest thing is when these higher ups try telling ME to make sure other people are doing there jobs, all because I do my own. F*ck that, I couldn't give two shits about this store or what other people are doing.

Le Shaqtus
11-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Yeah I'll do it once they get a new manager since the old one quit cause she was tired of all the women she hired not doing shit.

The funniest thing is when these higher ups try telling ME to make sure other people are doing there jobs, all because I do my own. F*ck that, I couldn't give two shits about this store or what other people are doing.

Looks like the place isn't right for you any way if you work in that kind of atmosphere.

KyrieTheFuture
11-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Minimum wage = minimum effort is why you will be poor your entire life. What a joke of a philosophy.

Draz
11-05-2014, 04:05 PM
you chose that job. I work at a concrete company. you need extremely thick skin here. customer service is the least you can do in the real world. believe me.

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Looks like the place isn't right for you any way if you work in that kind of atmosphere.

Yeah man they give me 5 days a week and know I have class on four days and on one of my only two days off, right inbetween my class time, they decided to do yet ANOTHER mandatory meeting for the 2nd time in the last month so that these bitches can sort their dumbass drama out and say a bunch of stupid shit that acts basically as instructions to the weak minded "if you have a problem with someone, go up and tell them about it, don't be going over here and telling someone else about your beef," etc.

shit is enough to drag a man down. retail gets you feeling like scum of the ****ing earth man.

hateraid
11-05-2014, 04:07 PM
I remember a time where customer service was a job requirement in retail

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:11 PM
I remember a time where customer service was a job requirement in retail

believe me, I used to do all of that shit, but eventually stopped and realized I was the only one who cared but was getting paid the least, so who cares?

I understand valuing experience and prioritizing it above all in the right job setting, but in retail the system is retarded. The highest paid common workers are just old women who don't do shit and have everyone else do their work. You'll often find like one or two people in these retail stores who actually do shit and they are usually newer people getting taken advantage of.

Minimum Wage = Minimum Effort is the new motto for me. Pay me shit and expect great work? **** that.

Le Shaqtus
Yeah man they give me 5 days a week and know I have class on four days and on one of my only two days off, right inbetween my class time, they decided to do yet ANOTHER mandatory meeting for the 2nd time in the last month so that these bitches can sort their dumbass drama out and say a bunch of stupid shit that acts basically as instructions to the weak minded "if you have a problem with someone, go up and tell them about it, don't be going over here and telling someone else about your beef," etc.

shit is enough to drag a man down. retail gets you feeling like scum of the ****ing earth man.

You work 5 days? That's gotta be well over 20 hours.

I used to work 3 days a week, but now they have me working 4 (which I need to talk to them about). But I have school Tuesday and Thursday and have Sundays off, so I have those 3 days to do homework. But I barely have enough time as is with working 4 days... And two of those days I barely make money.

Don't you have a schedule where you can tell your manager like "Hey I need so and so days off for school" or something? Unless you're paying for school yourself and need more than 20 hours... If anything get a different retail job at least that works better.

Draz
remember. minimum wage isn't to earn raises or promotions it's temporary until you can earn a real paying job. you need to pay gratitude to it. my father to me when I first got this job. don't ever complain about a job that brings food to the table, and don't talk bad about it. be humble, pay your respect and earn your check. work towards a better job.

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:13 PM

I used to work 3 days a week, but now they have me working 4 (which I need to talk to them about). But I have school Tuesday and Thursday and have Sundays off, so I have those 3 days to do homework. But I barely have enough time as is with working 4 days... And two of those days I barely make money.

Don't you have a schedule where you can tell your manager like "Hey I need so and so days off for school" or something? Unless you're paying for school yourself and need more than 20 hours... If anything get a different retail job at least that works better.

I work 37 hours a week and have 13 hours of college class at the moment. I only need about 15-20 hours to live off of since my rent is low and I don't eat much food.

When she hired me she told me I'd get 15-20 hours a week, but after my first week working there when I bossed all of their back stock and truck items they started way overscheduling me.

KyrieTheFuture
11-05-2014, 04:15 PM
You have a very dangerous mentality I'm not even ****ing with you, you're setting yourself up for failure

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:15 PM
You have a very dangerous mentality I'm not even ****ing with you, you're setting yourself up for failure

**** you.

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Once I graduate college I'm gonna move to somewhere nice and get a simple job like a 9-5 receptionist job. And then I'll actually have free time to make music and do other hobby based shit.

It's going to be the dream.

nathanjizzle
11-05-2014, 04:23 PM
shes rude.

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:24 PM

goddamn your schedule sounds nice.

Sundays off? How the f*ck did you manage that one?

DukeDelonte13
11-05-2014, 04:27 PM
the customer is always right. Lady tries to make small talk with you and you reacted like a jackass.

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:29 PM
the customer is always right.

dumbass who hasn't worked much in retail alert.

you give the customer an inch and they'll take a mile.

Le Shaqtus
11-05-2014, 04:35 PM
goddamn your schedule sounds nice.

Sundays off? How the f*ck did you manage that one?

My management is great and they cater to my needs :confusedshrug:

I'm also a very good worker, I'm never late, and I'm a good team mate. It's my first serving job and while I'm not as good as some of the vets here I'd say I'm valuable to their team. I worked full time all Summer, and I told them I was going to need two days off for school and another day off for doing other school stuff if I needed it.

Which is why you need to find a new job that caters to your school schedule, and have management that genuinely cares, I wouldn't be at my job if they weren't flexible with my school schedule and had terrible management.

Your work atmosphere is toxic, I understand why you hate it there. Why work hard when it means little, and the people who get paid more make do jack shit to help you, their co worker? That's the managements job to keep everyone in check, if your management sucks then the rest will fall like domino's. That's why you need to leave.

I take back my insult from earlier, it makes sense that you're frustrated, but you still shouldn't take it out on your customers, I've been there dude.

DeuceWallaces
11-05-2014, 04:39 PM
dumbass who hasn't worked much in retail alert.

you give the customer an inch and they'll take a mile.

First of all, you're a ****ing troll. Second, you don't deserve nor are you owed anything. You have a shit retail job because you have shit skills. Moreover, it looks like you have a shit attitude to go along with your shit skill set, which is why you're stuck in retail; right where you belong.

You think you'll get your degree and start running shit somewhere? No, you'll start at the bottom of another long ladder that you won't be able to climb because you're a ****ing retard with no skills, no common sense, and a bad attitude.

It takes hard work, a good attitude, and a developed skill set to make something of yourself and live in the real world. At the moment, you have none of those things and that won't change until you start holding yourself accountable and grow up.

EDIT *start*

Draz
11-05-2014, 04:43 PM
First of all, you're a ****ing troll. Second, you don't deserve nor are you owed anything. You have a shit retail job because you have shit skills. Moreover, it looks like you have a shit attitude to go along with your shit skill set, which is why you're stuck in retail; right where you belong.

You think you'll get your degree and start running shit somewhere? No, you'll start at the bottom of another long ladder that you won't be able to climb because you're a ****ing retard with no skills, no common sense, and a bad attitude.

It takes hard work, a good attitude, and a developed skill set to make something of yourself and live in the real world. At the moment, you have none of those things and that won't change until you starting holding yourself accountable and grow up.
:eek:

russwest0
11-05-2014, 04:48 PM

It takes hard work, a good attitude, and a developed skill set to make something of yourself and live in the real world. At the moment, you have none of those things and that won't change until you start holding yourself accountable and grow up.

EDIT *start*

You don't know shit, you're just another old mother ****er who thinks he's seen it all.

Well I got a little message for ya: F*CK YOU!!!

theballerFKA Ace
11-05-2014, 04:54 PM
The OP should be friendly just for the sake of keeping a positive flow throughout the shift, but if that's not in his personality I can't blame him. I'd rather deal with an unfriendly cashier who's competent and fast, than some friendly cashier who's slow, can barely speak English, and doesn't know what the hell they are doing(common in SoCal).

Some companies won't pay you extra no matter how hard you work, how responsible and competent you are. If it's a highly motivated, friendly, intelligent college student or it's a Mexican who can barely speak English with a 4th grade education, doesn't matter to some companies, they just want a warm body to pay minimum wage. It takes a lot for a cashier to piss me off, because I don't expect much from a minimum wage worker. Like the OP said, minimum wage=minimum effort, and I'm cool with that, get my change right and speak English that's all I ask.

For those that expect a lot from minimum wage workers, they should put their money where their mouth is, and tip those that go beyond the basics of their job and blow sunshine up your ass.

outbreak
11-05-2014, 04:56 PM
She's 100% in the right, she should come back and talk to your manager about the rude service. It really shits me when people bitch and moan about what they have to do at work when they are being paid to do those things. Don't like being nice to people? Don't work in customer service it's as simple as that. I work with a guy who bitches and moans every time we give him a mundane task like scanning pages from a book or crushing boxes but he is hired to do that crappy work. It's literally the only reason he is here and the reason he hasn't worked his way up to a better position is because he bitches and moans and slow plays every mundane job he is given. You sound like the same kind of guy as him, it's annoying when retail staff act like they are above the job they work in, if you don't want to do the job then don't do it I'm sure there's plenty of other kids willing to do the work and put in a decent attitude this isn't a case of you being asked to do work that isn't your job.

outbreak
11-05-2014, 04:58 PM
The OP should be friendly just for the sake of keeping a positive flow throughout the shift, but if that's not in his personality I can't blame him. I'd rather deal with an unfriendly cashier who's competent and fast, than some friendly cashier who's slow, can barely speak English, and doesn't know what the hell they are doing(common in SoCal).

Some companies won't pay you extra no matter how hard you work, how responsible and competent you are. If it's a highly motivated, friendly, intelligent college student or it's a Mexican who can barely speak English with a 4th grade education, doesn't matter to some companies, they just want a warm body to pay minimum wage. It takes a lot for a cashier to piss me off, because I don't expect much from a minimum wage worker. Like the OP said, minimum wage=minimum effort, and I'm cool with that, get my change right and speak English that's all I ask.

For those that expect a lot from minimum wage workers, they should put their money where their mouth is, and tip those that go beyond the basics of their job and blow sunshine up your ass.

It's not about putting in more than minimum effort it's about not being a total asshole to a customer. If you can't manage that you shouldn't be in customer service.

Jailblazers7
11-05-2014, 05:01 PM
OP is a little bitch. Instead of being a miserable little prick you should try actually talking to be and interacting positively. I worked 5 years of retail in HS and college and had people buy me lotto tickets and slip me tips while my manager wasn't looking because they thought I was nice. And the hours went by quicker.

Life is better when you stop moping.

DeuceWallaces
11-05-2014, 05:02 PM
You don't know shit, you're just another old mother ****er who thinks he's seen it all.

I do know shit. I worked full time during undergrad while working multiple jobs and taking 20-23 credit hours a semester. Going to class, waiting tables, and running a retail store all at the same time.

Hell, I went back to retail in my mid-20s during the holidays just to make rent and put food on the table during slow times of my chosen profession.

You're an ungrateful piece of shit who will do nothing with his life until you grow up.

russwest0
11-05-2014, 05:04 PM
I do know shit. I worked full time during undergrad while working multiple jobs and taking 20-23 credit hours a semester. Going to class, waiting tables, and running a retail store all at the same time.

Hell, I went back to retail in my mid-20s during the holidays just to make rent and put food on the table during slow times of my chosen profession.

You're an ungrateful piece of shit who will do nothing with his life until you grow up.

Watch me mother f*cker.

mr beast
11-05-2014, 05:06 PM

lol i know what you are talking about and kind of feel for the OP but Deuce Wallace has a point. the reason why you are in this position now is because of your limited skill set as a college student which there's really nothing you can do about.

Having that mentality (minimum wage = minimum effort) is dangerous, because who would want to hire someone like that? i m pretty sure you wont have that attitude when interviewing for a new job, but it's dangerous to get used to thinking that way because it will become who you are eventually and it will be hard to change.

My advice to you is to use all this negative experience and push yourself harder in your studies or whatever career path you want to pursue. If you don't want to be stuck in this position after you graduated, use this as motivation to go further. Cut down your work hours and spend more time on the things you care about.

Good luck! been through almost the same thing as you did when i was in college, all it is a part time job, no need to stress or waste too much time on it. focus on what you should be focusing on.

DeuceWallaces
11-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Watch me mother f*cker.

Unfortunately, I won't have a choice but to watch you, because you're a loser with no friends and no life who sits on this site all day and makes a dumb ass thread for every stupid thought that pops into your head.

outbreak
11-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately, I won't have a choice but to watch you, because you're a loser with no friends and no life who sits on this site all day and makes a dumb ass thread for every stupid thought that pops into your head.

I mean no offence to OP but honestly I think he must have ADD or some sort of family issues which leaves him craving the attention he misses in real life.

theballerFKA Ace
11-05-2014, 05:25 PM

Yeah but if you were truly the wise adult in this picture, it wouldn't take more than one post to scold the kid and move on with your life.

Every 19 year old since the dawn of time thinks they know how the world works. *Yawn* Is it really worth the time to do anything other than wink, and let them wallow in their ignorance with the satisfaction that someday they will realize how stunningly wrong they were

BasedTom
11-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Even if you feel burned out, you still shouldn't admit that out loud, especially to a customer. What do you gain from doing that?

Everyone has shit days. But the way you deal with it and express yourself makes a big difference. You can get away with complaining if you do it in a sort of light-hearted cheeky manner

sick_brah07
11-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Well personally ive always hated the whole fake how you going chat, because i do not come to a store to kill time and have fun

and to be fair its not like the lady approached the situation in a nice way... she basically said WTF is up your ass in a nice way because she has had a harder job then him? how on earth is that his problem ?

I do agree OP could have handled it better by simply saying oh sorry im just a little tired or something

KyrieTheFuture
11-05-2014, 05:45 PM
**** you.
:roll: I was honestly trying to help you.

Most entitled little brat on this website and that is ****ing saying something on this site.

rezznor
11-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Once I graduate college I'm gonna move to somewhere nice and get a simple job like a 9-5 receptionist job. And then I'll actually have free time to make music and do other hobby based shit.

It's going to be the dream.
you went to college to become a receptionist? that's your dream job?

Kblaze8855
11-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Never respected that way of thinking. People who do shitty work for low paying jobs...

I couldnt do it. Matter of personal pride. If I agree to come work ill do it right. Be nice if there were something of a permanent record held in a national employer database to weed out people who only work well when paid highly.

I may be biased because ive been in position to hire such people....

But ive also hired good workers and went on to help them get better jobs. An enthusiastic reference. Letting them know when I know a better job is coming available. Arrange suitable hours to help them have time off for a job hunt or interview elsewhere.

Im not doing anything to help a guy who agrees to take a certain pay then not want to earn even that.

If the pay isnt enough to do the job well...dont accept the job.

dkmwise
11-05-2014, 06:24 PM

I think she was the rude one for saying something in the first place. Who is THRILLED to be there. I could care less if people I don't know are nice to me or excited to see me check out at a register. Move the transaction through quickly, don't make a mistake, and if I have a question give me a knowledgeable answer, other than that I don't care if you smile at me or not. I actually hate when people working are overly friendly and chatty because it holds up the line.

Jailblazers7
11-05-2014, 06:29 PM
I think she was the rude one for saying something in the first place. Who is THRILLED to be there. I could care less if people I don't know are nice to me or excited to see me check out at a register. Move the transaction through quickly, don't make a mistake, and if I have a question give me a knowledgeable answer, other than that I don't care if you smile at me or not. I actually hate when people working are overly friendly and chatty because it holds up the line.

She could have just been empathizing with him. All he had to do was give small smile and say "yeah, long day" and I'm sure she would have just said something like "yeah I've been there" and that would have been the end of it. OP is just an awkward loser who struggles to interact with people IRL.

dkmwise
11-05-2014, 06:35 PM
She could have just been empathizing with him. All he had to do was give small smile and say "yeah, long day" and I'm sure she would have just said something like "yeah I've been there" and that would have been the end of it. OP is just an awkward loser who struggles to interact with people IRL.

That's a legit point, would have to have been there to know the real tone of the comment. It just reminded me of back when I was younger and working retail and people come up and always make stupid comments at your expense trying to be funny, but done in a way where they can claim they're not being rude, and since you are at work you can't really respond the way you would like to.

9erempiree
11-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Minimum Wage = Minimum Effort

Never heard of that one but I like it.:oldlol:

Do what you got to do OP. It is not that big of a deal like most people make it out to be.

TylerOO
11-05-2014, 07:19 PM
You honestly sound just like me. I'm the same ****ing way bro. I pray I get fired. I've shown up late every day for the past 4 months. They don't like? They know what to do. :lol

TylerOO
11-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Preach bro holy shit!!!

outbreak
11-05-2014, 07:21 PM
You honestly sound just like me. I'm the same ****ing way bro. I pray I get fired. I've shown up late every day for the past 4 months. They don't like? They know what to do. :lol

and in 10 years or so you'll look back and wonder why you are so poor and living like shit.

ace23
11-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Minimum wage = minimum effort is why you will be poor your entire life. What a joke of a philosophy.
:roll: :roll: Not agreeing or disagreeing but the way you worded that was great.

ace23
11-05-2014, 07:28 PM
:roll:

imdaman99
11-05-2014, 07:29 PM
You've been working there for a while and you never got a raise???? Is that how it works? I've gotten raises every now and than if I have proven myself responsible and efficient, but then again I've never worked retail.

Droid101
11-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Minimum wage = minimum effort.
This is the reason rich people fight against minimum wage increases. Assholes like you.

ihoopallday
11-05-2014, 07:46 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol: Ouch

KevinNYC
11-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Russwest,

A couple of genuine questions:

What were you hoping for when you created this thread.

Do you think you could accept serious constructive criticism, if it was offered?

I think you are concerned about how you interact with others and part of you suspects it may not all be about the others

mlh1981
11-05-2014, 08:27 PM
If you have to be somewhere, and even if you don't like it, try to make the most of it. You HAVE to be there....why be miserable? That's a tough way to live life. I understand coworkers and customers can suck sometimes, and it's easier said than done, but try not to let them affect your overall mood and temperament.

theballerFKA Ace
11-05-2014, 08:30 PM
You've been working there for a while and you never got a raise???? Is that how it works? I've gotten raises every now and than if I have proven myself responsible and efficient, but then again I've never worked retail.

Yeah my girlfriend's sister went to work for Home Depot a year and a half ago, she's up to $13.25/hour. I couldn't pay my bills on that but she's happy.

nathanjizzle
11-05-2014, 08:35 PM
you people are being to critical. most the retail workers ive encountered never were optimistic about there job, and i can understand, they are working in retail for minimum wage. as long as they say hello to me its fine, i sympathize for them.
as a person that owns a business i would never rip someone off paying them minimum wage especially when they have to deal with the public. in this instance west said hello and checked out her items, this specific customer required extra attention and had an attitude when it wasnt given to her, did she pay for her extra attention, my opinion is no. sure excellent customer service is great, but you cant expect or demand excellent customer service, you can only expect decent customer service.

lets be real, the people that work minimum wages already have a hard life, then to try to milk them of a optimistic attitude isnt reality.

wakencdukest
11-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Quit that bullshit job man. Start slingin dope, put some real money in your pockets.

theballerFKA Ace
11-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Quit that bullshit job man. Start slingin dope, put some real money in your pockets.

I remember going with a buddy to look at some Mustangs when we right out of high school. Salesman looks him over and says, "How much do you make?". Buddy says "$9/hr but I got $2000 to put down". Salesman says, "GTFO of here. Why don't you try selling drugs like the rest of the kids your age who buy these cars from me?" :oldlol:

knickballer
11-05-2014, 09:05 PM
OP you did nothing wrong. Most of the customers will even get mad if you try to talk to them anyways and will bitch how the cashier is trying to have stupid chat.

Not to mention most of the times customers act like savages when it comes to shopping.

outbreak
11-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Russwest,

A couple of genuine questions:

What were you hoping for when you created this thread.

Do you think you could accept serious constructive criticism, if it was offered?

I think you are concerned about how you interact with others and part of you suspects it may not all be about the others

His response to peoples feedback was "**** you"

knickballer
11-05-2014, 09:29 PM
His response to peoples feedback was "**** you"

Because half of you guys called him an entitled asshole so of course he was going to say FU.

theballerFKA Ace
11-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Yeah lots of companies like WalMart and Target used to have profit sharing for their employees, but they have all gotten rid of that in the last 10 years. They don't care about providing incentives, so hourly workers should only work hard enough to blend in with the pack.

I saw some dude berating this guy at Target last week for not having something in stock when he was told over the phone that they had a decent quantity remaining. Customer was like, "Are you telling me to go to WalMart to get what I need?" Guy said no, he just didn't have it in stock. Customer goes, "Ahhh so you ARE telling me to go to WalMart". I just laughed as I passed by. Like this guy was going to run to check in the back for a rude customer and make the company a few more bucks, so everyone is a winner except him.

There is really not a lot of upward mobility for hourly retail workers, unless they want to work 5 years to become an assistant manager working 6-70 hours a week for $40,000. Most of the store managers are hired out of college now.

Retail sucks balls, I sympathize for anyone that has to do it. I did it for 6 months, I'd rather sell crap on the side of the road than do that as a grown man.

knickballer
11-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah lots of companies like WalMart and Target used to have profit sharing for their employees, but they have all gotten rid of that in the last 10 years. They don't care about providing incentives, so hourly workers should only work hard enough to blend in with the pack.

I saw some dude berating this guy at Target last week for not having something in stock when he was told over the phone that they had a decent quantity remaining. Customer was like, "Are you telling me to go to WalMart to get what I need?" Guy said no, he just didn't have it in stock. Customer goes, "Ahhh so you ARE telling me to go to WalMart". I just laughed as I passed by. Like this guy was going to run to check in the back for a rude customer and make the company a few more bucks, so everyone is a winner except him.

There is really not a lot of upward mobility for hourly workers, unless they want to work 5 years to become an assistant manager working 6-70 hours a week for $40,000. Most of the store managers are hired out of college now.

Retail sucks balls, I sympathize for anyone that has to do it. I did it for 6 months, I'd rather sell crap on the side of the road than do that as a grown man.

Yep. Retail is pretty much a dead end job where the employees are expected to get yelled at and get verbally abused from angry customers because they are expected to bend over. Oh but if the employees don't have a smile you're a self-entitled asshole.

People need to get a grip. You have to feel bad for the workers who are putting in long hard hours during the Christmas/black Friday season where they are slaves to Americas addition to materialism. And I get the whole argument that no one is forcing them to work at Target or the Gap but still doesn't change the fact the customer doesn't have to be a complete asshole and scream at an employee if the correct price didn't come up or if there's no more sizes, etc.

russwest0
11-06-2014, 01:19 AM
Never respected that way of thinking. People who do shitty work for low paying jobs...

I couldnt do it. Matter of personal pride. If I agree to come work ill do it right. Be nice if there were something of a permanent record held in a national employer database to weed out people who only work well when paid highly.

I may be biased because ive been in position to hire such people....

But ive also hired good workers and went on to help them get better jobs. An enthusiastic reference. Letting them know when I know a better job is coming available. Arrange suitable hours to help them have time off for a job hunt or interview elsewhere.

Im not doing anything to help a guy who agrees to take a certain pay then not want to earn even that.

If the pay isnt enough to do the job well...dont accept the job.

Eh, I'm still probably one of the most respected people at my job.

You seem like the type of person who would not only hold his employee's accountable, but would also expect them to do the same for you as well.

I got hired on for 15-20 hours a week and they knew I had college, yet for the last month my hours have been ramped up to around 37 a week and they even scheduled me during class time once. It would have been nice if they would have just been like "hey, we know you have class, but we're short staffed for a while, how would you feel working a little extra?"

But thats the thing man, at retail jobs they don't give a f*ck. You're just their hourly piss on and if you are a hard worker by nature then you're going to end up doing a lot of other peoples work as well.

Again, none of that shit bothers me, but it more or less changes my way of thinking while I'm on the clock. Minimum wage = minimum effort.

GimmeThat
11-06-2014, 01:20 AM

you should avoid Heidi Klum on Halloween at all cost.

Swaggin916
11-06-2014, 01:26 AM
You both suck

DeuceWallaces
11-06-2014, 02:11 AM
OP you did nothing wrong. Most of the customers will even get mad if you try to talk to them anyways and will bitch how the cashier is trying to have stupid chat.

Not to mention most of the times customers act like savages when it comes to shopping.

Try to be less of an idiot.

dude77
11-06-2014, 03:06 AM
so this chick sees that he already has a pretty basic, shit job .. but hey, let me get smart with the poor sap and fk with him .. I bet that little cnt gets off on messing with people like that .. the customer is always right to a certain extent .. he didn't do anything .. 'hi do you have a member card' .. same shit i hear all the time .. i've never thought anything of it at all .. 'no i don't' and on with the transaction

MadeFromDust
11-06-2014, 03:09 AM
The customer is always right, azzh0l. Please quit yur day job :rolleyes:

dunksby
11-06-2014, 03:42 AM
Cannot believe I'm saying this but russwest0 is right, it's Halloween and he has to cash out people's items instead of having fun. Then this woman comes along and throws out a witty remark stating the obvious misery of his situation, so she got what she asked for. That said, she might have been trying to sympathize with him and russwest0 misunderstood it.

dude77
11-06-2014, 03:46 AM
Cannot believe I'm saying this but russwest0 is right, it's Halloween and he has to cash out people's items instead of having fun. Then this woman comes along and throws out a witty remark stating the obvious misery of his situation, so she got what she asked for. That said, she might have been trying to sympathize with him and russwest0 misunderstood it.

that's a good point .. it's possible she wasn't being a smartass and just kind of sympathizing in a sarcastic manner .. can't really tell without seeing the interaction

tomtucker
11-06-2014, 03:48 AM
[B]This is the kind of shit that makes me happy that i shoplift............ don

Quizno
11-06-2014, 04:03 AM
i'm kinda with you, i wouldn't be in the best mood working on halloween. i had to go to a store on halloween evening to pick up some alcohol and the first thing i said to the dude who checked me out (pause) was "that ****ing sucks you have to work tonight" and he agreed. he wasn't in a very good mood because he probably wanted to go party with his friends. i wouldn't expect A+ service on halloween

Balla_Status
11-06-2014, 04:04 AM
Funny ass thread.

What's your degree russwest?

gigantes
11-06-2014, 04:09 AM
i read the first page and the replies here are mind-blowing, not in a good way.

how far has this country's head gone up its own ass when it needs the register person at a large chain to be extra fake friendly to them...?

we're not talking the aisle person who helps you find shit, we're not talking a person behind a desk, we're not talking about a clerk at a smaller store (because they're all but extinct), we're not talking about someone making a significant cut above middle wage.

FFS if the girl in costume posted a thread from her POV, you misogynistic jackasses would jump all over her, too. don't even dare bullshitting me that you would not... bunch of lame-ass hypocrites.

MadeFromDust
11-06-2014, 04:14 AM
why would anyone be pissed about working on oct 31 anyway it's not like it's real holiday. be glad yur gettin paid

russwest0
11-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Funny ass thread.

What's your degree russwest?

Communications

:lol :lol :lol :lol

russwest0
11-06-2014, 04:42 AM
i'm kinda with you, i wouldn't be in the best mood working on halloween. i had to go to a store on halloween evening to pick up some alcohol and the first thing i said to the dude who checked me out (pause) was "that ****ing sucks you have to work tonight" and he agreed. he wasn't in a very good mood because he probably wanted to go party with his friends. i wouldn't expect A+ service on halloween

Yup and I don't even think we got holiday pay that's some more stupid corporate bullshit.

oarabbus
11-06-2014, 04:42 AM
Communications

Dude, the job market is cutthroat right now and will take years to recover still. If you are in your 1st or 2nd year of college you should switch to a major that's actually useful and will help you get a job after college. Hell, even if you are in your last year you should switch.

Communications majors are not in demand right now, or ever.

andgar923
11-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I ring out the fastest in that store by far and always end my shift within mere cents of what the drawer started out on.

So who gives a shit if I decide to be real with customers for a bit as opposed to being an overzealous fake happy jackass? The men that come in there certainly seem to respect my chill reserve more, and we get a few regulars in there who I bro down with, but this woman just looked disgusted that she wasn't getting the shopping "experience" by me putting on a fake smile while getting paid shit :lol

The way I see it, minimum wage = minimum effort. I used to be the young kid that worked his ass off and did everyone elses work while being nice to customers, but no longer will I give a ****.

It's called being a professional.

You get paid to do a job, a part of that job is customer service, which also includes smiling and being polite to people even if it means being "fake".

knickballer
11-06-2014, 10:42 AM
It's called being a professional.

You get paid to do a job, a part of that job is customer service, which also includes smiling and being polite to people even if it means being "fake".

Are you not the dude who used to work in a womens shoe store and would brag how you didn't do shit or respond to customers when they had concerns?

KevinNYC
11-06-2014, 11:09 AM
So who gives a shit if I decide to be real with customers for a bit as opposed to being an overzealous fake happy jackass?

Communications

I think we have a bit of a disconnect here.

Boarder Patrol
11-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Have you ever considered that them giving you more hours, and trusting you to make sure other people are doing their jobs could indicate they actually think highly of you?

There's going to come a day when a promotion to a decent job out of this is possible, and you want to make sure you're the first guy they think of. That involves doing the grunt work for now.

KevinNYC
11-06-2014, 11:12 AM
how far has this country's head gone up its own ass when it needs the register person at a large chain to be extra fake friendly to them...?

I don't think the standard here is extra fake friendly. I think it's minimum politeness.

I don't think russwest has enough self-awareness to understand how he is coming off to others.

Based on the fact he had to make this thread, I would guess he comes off ruder and more hostile than he understands.

T_L_P
11-06-2014, 11:14 AM
I still thinks it's worth it to be nice to people, bro.

If you are cool and considerate, and they are assholish, you've won. They're clearly not where they want to be (broadly speaking of course; some people just might be having a bad day).

Good customer service genuinely makes some people happy. I used to work at a supermarket. And quite a few people came in just to be treated nicely for a change. :confusedshrug:

GimmeThat
11-06-2014, 11:16 AM
the company. for paying you such low wages.

KevinNYC
11-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Have you ever considered that them giving you more hours, and trusting you to make sure other people are doing their jobs could indicate they actually think highly of you?

There's going to come a day when a promotion to a decent job out of this is possible, and you want to make sure you're the first guy they think of. That involves doing the grunt work for now.
Also if you go from cashier to management in a short time, that is something that your next job would notice when you apply.

KevinNYC
11-06-2014, 11:32 AM
This thread is so gross

People talking about jobs bum me out

Get a trust fund already
You still going to open that bar?

I have an idea for a chain of bars.

It's called Your Mom's Basement. It would be a gathering place for all the malcontents and misanthropes who gather on internet message boards to gather with their laptops and flame each other.

Your Mom's Basement: Trolls Welcome! You could probably open one in every college town.

andgar923
11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Are you not the dude who used to work in a womens shoe store and would brag how you didn't do shit or respond to customers when they had concerns?

Yes and no.

I did work as a shoe salesman.

But I was never rude to customers even if they were rude to me. I may not have done shit at times to help them, but that was only if they were specially rude. And even then I wouldn't be rude and would always be "fake".

There's a huge difference.

I was also the hardest working associate, sure there's was days in which I stayed in the stock room, but it was never unproductive. I was commended for my service by customers several times and promoted 2 times.

There was another poster here, perhaps that's who you're referring too.

gigantes
11-06-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't think the standard here is extra fake friendly. I think it's minimum politeness.

I don't think russwest has enough self-awareness to understand how he is coming off to others.

Based on the fact he had to make this thread, I would guess he comes off ruder and more hostile than he understands.
all things being equal, i'm somewhat inclined towards agreement.

but he's talking aboot a rather droll occasion. i think that heavily factored.

still, why is it that in america we need that extra level of retail attention? i've never seen that kind of group neurosis in any other country. because we're already raping the earth's resources and we need our minimum wage ppl to cheer us up about it?

andgar923
11-06-2014, 11:45 AM
always things being equal, i'm somewhat inclined towards agreement.

still, why is it that in america we need that extra level of retail attention? i've never seen that kind of group neurosis in any other country. because we're already raping the earth's resources and we need our minimum wage ppl to cheer us up about it?

It's not about being super fake and friendly.

Just don't be a d*ck.

If I go shopping Im not expecting the associates to be super happy and cheerful, just don't roll your eyes and act like you don't give two shits when you're ringing me up or I ask for help.

Nobody wants attitude in any setting.

if you're having a bad day, mask it and apologize if the customer didn't do anything to you. I didn't make your day go bad, so don't give 'me' attitude.

Like somebody mentioned, maybe the OP doesn't realize how he comes across.

Dictator
11-06-2014, 11:48 AM
If you don't understand the OP's logic then you've most likely never have done retail.

You can work as hard as you want and be as nice as you want but in the end what will it benefit you? I'm glad I'm out of retail.

JohnnySic
11-06-2014, 11:59 AM
If you don't understand the OP's logic then you've most likely never have done retail.

You can work as hard as you want and be as nice as you want but in the end what will it benefit you? I'm glad I'm out of retail.
I think some posters are overthinking this.

Retail is tedious boring work that wears on you. And many customers are purposefully a$$holes to the employees because they feel that they can get away with it.

I had my "off" moments back in my retail days.

Jailblazers7
11-06-2014, 12:14 PM
all things being equal, i'm somewhat inclined towards agreement.

Big difference between looking for politeness from a cashier and whatever group neurosis you are cooking up. The only people that are expected to go to the next level are people paid on commission and people selling big ticket items (car salesmen, realtors, luxury good salemen, etc).

gigantes
11-06-2014, 12:17 PM
It's not about being super fake and friendly.

Just don't be a d*ck.

If I go shopping Im not expecting the associates to be super happy and cheerful, just don't roll your eyes and act like you don't give two shits when you're ringing me up or I ask for help.

Nobody wants attitude in any setting.

if you're having a bad day, mask it and apologize if the customer didn't do anything to you. I didn't make your day go bad, so don't give 'me' attitude.

Like somebody mentioned, maybe the OP doesn't realize how he comes across.
how was OP being a d*ck or rolling his eyes?

the gal wanted extra attention for being dressed up.

Charlie Sheen
11-06-2014, 12:33 PM

u were fine until the last remark. ur gripe isn't with her about ur pay. could've...should've said something along the lines of it being a bad day for u. tons of people have worked retail and will empathize with u in that situation

andgar923
11-06-2014, 12:55 PM
how was OP being a d*ck or rolling his eyes?

the gal wanted extra attention for being dressed up.
I was generally speaking.

But the OP stated that he was in a bad mood and started to ring her shit fast, which prompted the customer's quip.

So from the start he wasn't offering basic customer service and from the looks of things may have had a shitty attitude altogether.

But it was his reply that took it over the edge. He didn't have to say that. Even if he wasn't trying to be rude and she misread him, his reply wasn't appropriate in any setting.

And YES dick-ish.

KevinNYC
11-06-2014, 01:32 PM
How much are you willing to invest

C'mon, we discussed this. I'm the idea man, you're the rainmaker.

christian1923
11-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Three best ways to get by in retail

1. Know what you're doing.

2. Be cool with managers, be someone they can talk to while work is slow.

3. Build the reputation as the lazy guy at work.

There is nothing better than being the friendly lazy guy at a bullshit job. Who doesn't love that guy? People only bother coming up to you when they want to talk, rarely will you get asked to do some out of the ordinary task, they'll ask the hard working kid nobody likes to do that

DeuceWallaces
11-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Communications

Now I feel bad for you. I guess that receptionist comment wasn't too far off.

Myth
11-06-2014, 02:59 PM

You are clearly in the wrong, buddy.

DeuceWallaces
11-06-2014, 03:46 PM
You avoid persecution by being jobless?

gigantes
11-06-2014, 08:22 PM
*ahem* andgar923,
she was being c-ntish in the first place. and his replies to her c-ntishness were -borderline- rude at best.

but i suppose i have a bias in this situation because i'm typically very polite with cashiers. i think it's a hard job to be standing on your feet every shift and to have to be more or less 'up' for every customer (again, this seems to be a peculiarly american expectation).

i mean YES... even a cashier is a professional (sort of), but i don't take that as free reign for people to abuse them or require special attention to personal needs.

FFS, the lady got upset for not getting the attention she wanted. dude was doing his job efficiently and wasn't creating any problems for her or being rude in any traditional sense until she went off.

you know how an adult of the world handles not getting the attention they need? they let it go, that's how. NOT TO MENTION some of the very next people she meets that night will doubtless be giving her the attention she so sorely craves.

FFS... you americans with your phony-ass "have a nice day" "it's all cool bro" violence-celebrating sexually-repressed valleygirl-speaking resource-gorging chest-thumping dipshit culture. your problem is that you want it all, have more than almost everyone else, and are still somehow agitated about it.

Jailblazers7
11-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Lol we have no idea what her tone was. She could have been lightly sarcastic with him to empathize with the fact that he had to work on Halloween. I think it's pretty likely that OP misinterpreted her given his socially awkward type threads in the past.

DeuceWallaces
11-06-2014, 10:12 PM
This dude has been making pity-party threads all week for his terrible job and college education; it's safe to say he's lost any benefit of the doubt.

gigantes
11-06-2014, 10:34 PM
This dude has been making pity-party threads all week for his terrible job and college education; it's safe to say he's lost any benefit of the doubt.
he's not one of those posters who stands out to me, so i gave him benefit of the doubt. perhaps i erred.

still, his particular take on the situation rings true to me. logistically it seems a chore to omit or exaggerate on this particular story. hell, i dunno.

andgar923
11-06-2014, 10:36 PM
*ahem* andgar923,
she was being c-ntish in the first place. and his replies to her c-ntishness were -borderline- rude at best.

but i suppose i have a bias in this situation because i'm typically very polite with cashiers. i think it's a hard job to be standing on your feet every shift and to have to be more or less 'up' for every customer (again, this seems to be a peculiarly american expectation).

i mean YES... even a cashier is a professional (sort of), but i don't take that as free reign for people to abuse them or require special attention to personal needs.

FFS, the lady got upset for not getting the attention she wanted. dude was doing his job efficiently and wasn't creating any problems for her or being rude in any traditional sense until she went off.

you know how an adult of the world handles not getting the attention they need? they let it go, that's how. NOT TO MENTION some of the very next people she meets that night will doubtless be giving her the attention she so sorely craves.

FFS... you americans with your phony-ass "have a nice day" "it's all cool bro" violence-celebrating sexually-repressed valleygirl-speaking resource-gorging chest-thumping dipshit culture. your problem is that you want it all, have more than almost everyone else, and are still somehow agitated about it.
STFU

ace23
11-06-2014, 10:59 PM
STFU
:oldlol:

Charlie Sheen
11-06-2014, 11:16 PM
STFU

:roll:

DeuceWallaces
11-06-2014, 11:19 PM
he's not one of those posters who stands out to me, so i gave him benefit of the doubt. perhaps i erred.

still, his particular take on the situation rings true to me. logistically it seems a chore to omit or exaggerate on this particular story. hell, i dunno.

I only remember because the first thread had several serious responses and advice, including some from myself, but as it went on it became clear he's just a bitching and moaning self-entitled teenager.

gigantes
11-06-2014, 11:28 PM
I only remember because the first thread had several serious responses and advice, including some from myself, but as it went on it became clear he's just a bitching and moaning self-entitled teenager.
hmm... i can understand the annoyance of that. pretty much the same reason i have to be such a general dickhead on ISH. because it's appropriate and sadly necessary here.

DeuceWallaces
11-06-2014, 11:38 PM
RussWest wants money for nothin', and dudes for free.

http://rormix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/dire_straits_money_4_nothing_video.jpg

MadeFromDust
11-07-2014, 01:09 AM
STFU
BAM! :roll: :oldlol:

Prometheus
11-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Bro... you were BOTH in the wrong. She was being a bitch, but you handled it the wrong way.

You think people treat you like shit as a cashier? Try serving tables buddy. Honestly dude, retail is nothing. Be glad that you have an easy job, and treat it that way. You don't have to plaster a fake smile on your face and make chit chat with every f@ggot that comes up to your register, but shit, at least be pleasant man. Just be cool.

I'll be real - if I were in line behind that lady, I would have laughed and thought what you said was pretty funny. But I also would have been smh on the inside, because you definitely handled it the wrong way. This world is packed with total ****ing morons, you know this, and so if you work retail, you must tolerate these morons. Be chill with them. It will even make you feel better at the end of your shift.

But honestly, if it makes you feel any better, based on your story that lady is 100% attention-seeking bitch, and deserves any amount of embarrassment or frustration with which she left that encounter.

KevinNYC
11-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Lol we have no idea what her tone was. She could have been lightly sarcastic with him to empathize with the fact that he had to work on Halloween. I think it's pretty likely that OP misinterpreted her given his socially awkward type threads in the past.

Given the fact that he made this thread, he appears like he was shocked at her response.

russwest0
11-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Now I feel bad for you. I guess that receptionist comment wasn't too far off.

You don't have to feel bad for a man who knows what he wants in this world.

russwest0
11-07-2014, 06:36 PM

lol for some reason this DueceWallace guy thinks I'm in the wrong or some shit. I think it all started when I said that life is going to get easier after college because I already have it all planned out but he acted like it was gonna be worse and I was being dumb or some shit :lol

russwest0
11-07-2014, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I have considered that but I don't care because the longest I want to be at this shithole for is the next 2 years while I go to school.

Our new manager started today and all of the women were bitching because she uses the cameras to make sure that people are working.... aka she does what a manager is supposed to do. Meanwhile she said hello to me, was nice, and that was the end of it. I didn't care or get paranoid about what she was doing in the office because I didn't care.

DeuceWallaces
11-07-2014, 07:26 PM
lol for some reason this DueceWallace guy thinks I'm in the wrong or some shit. I think it all started when I said that life is going to get easier after college because I already have it all planned out but he acted like it was gonna be worse and I was being dumb or some shit :lol

It started when you were moaning about how tough your college life was and how you deserved a better job, and it ended when I told you that you have no skills and a bad attitude.

I never said it will be worse. I said your life will only get harder. Complaining about college life is hilarious.

russwest0
11-07-2014, 07:30 PM
It started when you were moaning about how tough your college life was and how you deserved a better job, and it ended when I told you that you have no skills and a bad attitude.

I never said it will be worse. I said your life will only get harder. Complaining about college life is hilarious.

"complaining about college life is hilarious" is an ignorant statement to make in a thread where I'm criticizing my job because

1. they give me way too many hours
2. nobody there does shit
3. it's a retail job and retail jobs are shit

Most college kids I know either work 20 or less hours or don't work at all. I'm absolutely above the median college student in terms of how much I have on my plate, but it doesn't bug me much, I've more or less been complaining about how shit retail jobs are but how they seem to be the only jobs a college kid can get.

chips93
11-07-2014, 07:47 PM
the customer is always right. Lady tries to make small talk with you and you reacted like a jackass.

that wasnt small talk, she sounds very entitled

chips93
11-07-2014, 08:03 PM

this

customer service in america is overly friendly and insincere.

im pretty surprised most people here expected op to be nice to this lady when she was pretty rude to him in the first place.

gigantes
11-07-2014, 10:16 PM

sorry mate, late reply borderline snipe, but who started the thread?

Also who does that unless they're a person of honest, decent intent, regardless their bubble of hostile nursery?

9erempiree
11-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Minimum Wage = Minimum Effort.

What part of that don't you gals understand?

OP has goals and this is obviously some crap job he is doing in the mean time. It's not like this job is what defines him. Just a stepping stone and he is right.

MadeFromDust
11-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Minimum Wage = Minimum Effort.

What part of that don't you gals understand?

OP has goals and this is obviously some crap job he is doing in the mean time. It's not like this job is what defines him. Just a stepping stone and he is right.
Minimum Effort = No Promotion
No Promotion = Enjoy yur Minimum Wage you retarted self-centered rude jackass hahahaha

GimmeThat
11-08-2014, 07:51 AM
I hope you run into her again somewhere else with a different setting

then we'll REALLY know the answer

russwest0
11-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Just got a good example this morning of what I'm talking about. I got called a little over an hour before my shift starts...

One of my managers: "Truck is here so you need to come in early."
Me: "If I come in early do I get to leave early?"
Them: "Not neccessairly, but you're scheduled truck and it's here so you have to come in."

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm F*ck this job. F*ck retail. F*ck life.

Knicks101
11-08-2014, 12:49 PM
You're probably just cranky because you're hungry. An Apple a day not cutting it.

MadeFromDust
11-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Just got a good example this morning of what I'm talking about. I got called a little over an hour before my shift starts...

Them: "Not neccessairly, but you're scheduled truck and it's here so you have to come in."

lmao this pud just has trouble with authority :facepalm

Anyways, the proper answer would've been: "If I come in early I get to leave early."

Charlie Sheen
11-08-2014, 03:24 PM

i hated my job..like not even 10 years ago. then i quit. hardest job i ever had was looking for another job, most depressing year of my life. it almost killed me. was living out of a church shelter, couldnt speak english good. still cant but this is better :lol retail even turned me down a bunch of times. that minimum effort attitude is toxic like others told you. my story probly dont mean nothin. i didnt care to someone saying the same thing to 20 year old me.

ace23
11-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Pretty sure OP is trolling at this point yet people continue to take him seriously.

Budadiiii
11-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Pretty sure OP is trolling at this point yet people continue to take him seriously.
And how does that make you feel that he's getting attention and you aren't?

This is maybe the 50th time you've made this exact post towards a poster you feel doesn't warrant the replies....

I'll put your pic up as my avy again if you want? Tell me what thread you want me to bump and I'll do it.

All about ace23 today. :applause:

tomtucker
11-09-2014, 05:15 AM

give your manager a blow job,........ prob. will give you a raise............oh, you allready did that to get the job in the first place..........sorry mane, cant help you then :confusedshrug:

I<3NBA
11-09-2014, 07:07 AM
customer is always right. bear with it and suck it up. if you don't like it, then get out of that job.

sundizz
11-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Is it really that draining to say hi, how's it going? do you have a member card with us and smile? If you hate retail so much why don't you get a gig at UPS or some other non customer facing position.

I worked retail. And now I'm an adult. Retail is mad easy and fun compared to the real world. Usually, you have people around you age that you get along well with. Just bsing around all day and working hard here and there.

What's hard is waking up at 6 am, driving 2 hours to work, sitting at an uncomfortable customer client desk for 10 hours (i do public accounting), leaving at 630 pm, getting home at 830. Eat dinner, watch tv for a little bit, pass out and repeat. You are literally living for the weekend + sometimes you have work to catch up with then too. However, you KNOW you put in 4-5 years at this and you can get a 100k+ job that is a bit less crazy.

I really hope somehow I can just work till I am 40 and then retire somehow or work less.

andgar923
11-09-2014, 08:22 AM
customer is always right. bear with it and suck it up. if you don't like it, then get out of that job.

Most definitely wrong.

Customer comes first, but it doesn't mean that they're right.

MadeFromDust
11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Most definitely wrong.

Customer comes first, but it doesn't mean that they're right.
Yes it does. What it means, for the brain cell challenged, is that there is no scenario where you and the company win by arguing against the customer that they are wrong. If you do, other customers might get turned off while observing it and you lose business and money, the sole purpose the company is there for. Not to mention the customer you embarrassed by shouting them down...think they'll spend their money with you again? Well you'd be wrong. ISHiots these days, not even understanding what the phrase means and arguing against it :rolleyes:

dude77
11-09-2014, 11:49 AM
fk that .. yes, you have to cater to the customer as much as you possibly can .. no it doesn't mean the customer can treat you like shit or act rudely .. learn to respect others .. employees are people too right ? I've never ever thought of talking shit to an employee .. if I have a problem with a service or product, I'll voice it and deal with it but what's the purpose of being verbally abusive or talking down to an employee for no reason other than you want to be a little cnt ? ..

we've all had bad days .. the guy working the cashier can be having a bad day .. he said he greeted her with 'hi, do you have a member card' .. standard shit .. that's what I get all the time .. nothing wrong with that at all .. but according to him, this chick felt the need to throw in a little condescending jab for no reason really(assuming it was that .. we don't know the exact tone she used)

SCREWstonRockets
11-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Let me guess, she was white? Lol

I hate entitled customers like that. If all you did was not acknowledge her crappy makeup, then I don't see a problem. Some people want to be babied and waited on with hands and feet at all times. Me personally, IDGAF. If the cashier is all peppy and talkative, fine. But if the cashier is all business, fine with me too. Its not effecting my shopping experience. Same with waiters, as long as my food comes out, thats all I care about.

More importantly, I want to talk about why you feel that way working your job. THis is the bigger problem. In my opinion, as long as you take it seriously, any job is an honest job. It doesn't matter if you work retail or work the drive thru or you are stocking at a grocery store. Work is work.

Unfortunately, most people don't see it that way. And then people wonder why we have shitty customer service? Well, when people are looking down on the folks that have those jobs, how do you think the people working those jobs feel? They feel like the OP. So yeah, thats going to effect the customer service.

Seriously, you don't have to feel like "retail is the scum of the earth job". Sure, it may not be fun doing it, but its called WORK for a reason. Not all jobs have to be fun. While people may think they're above working retail or above people that work retail, I respect the hell out of people that do. Because its not easy dealing with entitled assholes all day who think the world revolves around them.

To the OP, good for you for holding down a job. Theres bums out there that rather rob and steal from innocents, than to make a honest living. Don't let these dickhead customers bring you down and ruin your day.

russwest0
11-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Just an update on my job. (I assume no one cares, but some were acting like my job was as easy as it gets and shit)

over half of the store has filed to transfer to another store because they dont like the new manager

everyones hours are getting cut (thank god) and im basically the only one happy about it because im like one of the only ones that isnt a woman w/ a fukking kid.

basically the stores roles have been changed so that everyone actually has to do shit now. it's great. the first day of the new managers arrival I literally got to watch consecutive meltdowns from women who simply got told "hey, find something to work on" when caught f*cking around.

Ya know, I might stick around retail for a while. Because I find this shitstorm right now mildly amusing. It's such a shit job that there is no union for these workers to complain to, so they are basically all mobilizing themselves to try and protest the employers want for them to actually do shit like they are paid to do.