PDA

View Full Version : Do You Love Your Job?

ihoopallday
11-05-2014, 07:51 PM
From a scale of 1-10, I'd give my job a 9. Not being able to see family and friends for months at a time is my only gripe. Otherwise, I couldn't have chosen a better career. Oh yeah, I'm in the military.

Anyways, how about my fellow insidehoops posters.

Draz
11-05-2014, 08:20 PM
concrete Batcher. eh. it gets hectic. I can earn way more money elsewhere. that's my gripe.

mlh1981
11-05-2014, 08:28 PM
I teach elementary PE for a living. The pay isn't the best, but I enjoy working with my students and going to work everyday, in general.

outbreak
11-05-2014, 09:18 PM
5/10

I make good money and the hours are flexible, plus I can do what I want. I don't really like much of the work I do any more though and am burnt out by the responsibilities I have.

AirTupac
11-05-2014, 09:23 PM
9/10

Still at school, most flexible schedule possible, good pay and there's sluts working with me so its always a fun shift. :oldlol:

RedBlackAttack
11-05-2014, 09:27 PM
I chose money over passion. Some days I feel the burden of that choice, but for the most part, it has worked out OK for me. I'd say 7/10.

ihoopallday
11-05-2014, 09:27 PM
I teach elementary PE for a living. The pay isn't the best, but I enjoy working with my students and going to work everyday, in general.

That's awesome! I always felt working with kids would be a great experience. Challenging, but the results seem worth it.

mlh1981
11-05-2014, 09:29 PM
That's awesome! I always felt working with kids would be a great experience. Challenging, but the results seem worth it.

It is very challenging, but the results are worth it. The pay, though.....aaahhh!

ihoopallday
11-05-2014, 09:30 PM
concrete Batcher. eh. it gets hectic. I can earn way more money elsewhere. that's my gripe.

I'd just go ahead and take your talents elsewhere if you can make more money. Would it be the same job?

ihoopallday
11-05-2014, 09:30 PM
9/10

Still at school, most flexible schedule possible, good pay and there's sluts working with me so its always a fun shift. :oldlol:

Haha damn sounds like you got it made :applause:

Duggrr
11-05-2014, 09:32 PM
It is very challenging, but the results are worth it. The pay, though.....aaahhh!
Is the pay really that abysmal? I'm considering being a teacher myself. (Currently a senior in high school.)

ihoopallday
11-05-2014, 09:32 PM
5/10

I make good money and the hours are flexible, plus I can do what I want. I don't really like much of the work I do any more though and am burnt out by the responsibilities I have.

That's my only worry in my profession. Higher ranks means more responsibilities.

mlh1981
11-05-2014, 09:33 PM
I chose money over passion. Some days I feel the burden of that choice, but for the most part, it has worked out OK for me. I'd say 7/10.

No longer a sportswriter?

Budadiiii
11-05-2014, 09:35 PM
10/10

I live with my mom and literally have zero responsibilities. :rockon:

Living the good life. :pimp:

ihoopallday

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I have a few friends who chose the money over passion route, but it's killing them. Put in years of schooling, but end up hating your job. Sounds like you got lucky. :cheers:

mlh1981
Is the pay really that abysmal? I'm considering being a teacher myself. (Currently a senior in high school.)

I'm able to pay my bills and have some fun here and there. Can't really take any big vacations or do anything exotic, but I'm getting by.

AirTupac
Haha damn sounds like you got it made :applause:

Other than the lack of shifts, its fantastic. But it also helps me out cause I can't work too much with my workload sometimes. :cheers:

ihoopallday
11-05-2014, 09:36 PM
10/10

I live with my mom and literally have zero responsibilities. :rockon:

Living the good life. :pimp:

As long as you're saving, no problem with that. Haha don't be blowing all your money on women or drugs, well unless it makes you happy.

Budadiiii
11-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Other than the lack of shifts, its fantastic. But it also helps me out cause I can't work too much with my workload sometimes. :cheers:
..... Yet you haven't smashed any of them and probably never will.

Cold hard truth brah. You can stare at their asses all you want and their slutty personalities might be enjoyable to you, but you ain't smashing shit and we both know that.

RedBlackAttack
11-05-2014, 09:37 PM
No longer a sportswriter?
Had to give it up, bro. Working in newspapers was both truly fulfilling and incredibly frustrating. The industry is dying a very slow and painful death. I worked in the industry for approximately eight years and I feel like I got a lot out of that experience.

But, there came a time wherein I had to think about my future. Unless you're working on the national stage, you're not making a remotely comfortable wage in print journalism. I was presented the opportunity to build a nest egg and a level of comfort that I'd probably never find in sports/news reporting.

I took it... and I think it was the right choice.

AirTupac
11-05-2014, 09:39 PM
..... Yet you haven't smashed any of them and probably never will.

Cold hard truth brah. You can stare at their asses all you want and their slutty personalities might be enjoyable to you, but you ain't smashing shit and we both know that.

I've smashed one actually not too long ago. My fav slut at work by far.

Budadiiii
11-05-2014, 09:39 PM
As long as you're saving, no problem with that. Haha don't be blowing all your money on women or drugs, well unless it makes you happy.
Yeah, good look.

I might just live with her indefinitely. I'm not in a rush. I enjoy the luxurious life I'm living right now.... no need to blow it

Budadiiii
11-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I've smashed one actually not too long ago. My fav slut at work by far.
Damn. Where do you work?

No bitches at my work space. Just middle-aged c)ck suckers. But I work in a guitar pedal shop, which attracts no youngins.

I'm a prodigy though. You guys are working at grocery stores and I'm busy with helping to manage and run a company.

AirTupac
11-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Damn. Where do you work?

No bitches at my work space. Just middle-aged c)ck suckers. But I work in a guitar pedal shop, which attracts no youngins.

I'm a prodigy though. You guys are working at grocery stores and I'm busy with helping to manage and run a company.

Bartender at concerts. More than half of the girls have boyfriends but I consider them to be sluts because of how much they'll flirt knowing fully well they have a f*cking boyfriend.

MrC1991
11-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Being a union roofer can be tough but since I turned Journeyman and am making 31+ an hour the pay is absolutely worth it. The work on the other hand can be insanely tough I already have 3 herniated discs and I'm 23. The benefits and all that are awesome but I know I need to find something else to do for my body sake. Not to mention the 16 hour days but you make up for it with overtime and double time. So I'd rank it a 7/10.

Stuckey
11-05-2014, 09:56 PM

teaching is awesome but requires a tanker of patience

Derka
11-05-2014, 10:03 PM
I like it. I don't love what I do, but I don't mind doing it.

NZStreetBaller
11-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Concrete pumping 35/hr its not bad but ive only just started 9 days in. I actually lied my way into the job. Saying I had experience and stuff. But im secretly just learning as I go. Tuff job but I over doubled the amount I was making in 6 months. I also do a bit of real estate stuff on the side. So ill give it 5/10

outbreak
11-05-2014, 11:50 PM
That's my only worry in my profession. Higher ranks means more responsibilities.

Wouldn't be so bad if we had competent managerial staff

NZStreetBaller
11-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Concrete pumping 35/hr its not bad but ive only just started 9 days in. I actually lied my way into the job. Saying I had experience and stuff. But im secretly just learning as I go. Tuff job but I over doubled the amount I was making in 6 months. I also do a bit of real estate stuff on the side. So ill give it 5/10

Le Shaqtus
11-06-2014, 12:34 AM
I don't like doing side work, sometimes I make real shitty money, and sometimes I serve complete assholes. But I love the people I work with, my management, and serving people, so I'd say about an 8/10.

Swaggin916
11-06-2014, 01:48 AM
I do enjoy my job... I get work on my own and I like the people I work for. I do gardening/landscaping. I made a lot more installing solar panels but so many things about that job sucked. Was the money worth it? Yea it made it worth it. It's trading your happiness at work for more peace of mind and options outside of work. Right now I have more happiness at work, but less peace of mind.

Overall it's a 7/10. If I made 50 g's + it would be a 9/10. It won't ever be my passion, but something I don't mind doing with total peace of mind outside of work able to save up to not work some day? That's legit.

BigBoss
11-06-2014, 03:23 AM

My 7th grade PE teacher got fired for being "inappropriate" with a few girls :roll: .

bdreason
11-06-2014, 03:46 AM
I really, really like my career. Love is a strong word.

I would love to be an NBA player or coach... or a professional musician.

GimmeThat
11-06-2014, 07:19 AM
I love praises and promotions.

mlh1981
11-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Had to give it up, bro. Working in newspapers was both truly fulfilling and incredibly frustrating. The industry is dying a very slow and painful death. I worked in the industry for approximately eight years and I feel like I got a lot out of that experience.

But, there came a time wherein I had to think about my future. Unless you're working on the national stage, you're not making a remotely comfortable wage in print journalism. I was presented the opportunity to build a nest egg and a level of comfort that I'd probably never find in sports/news reporting.

I took it... and I think it was the right choice.

Gotcha.

I used to want to work in the newspaper industry full time, but had many of the same fears and concerns. I have several years experience of working as a freelancer, but started to see limited room for growth, and like you, I didn't see a great future.

BRabbiT
11-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Dispatcher

6.5/10

DukeDelonte13
11-06-2014, 09:46 AM
attorney 8/10

pros: never boring, rewarding, being in control of what you do and don't do.

cons: high stress, high workload, difficult situations that stay with you after hours, sometimes dealing w/ nasty court personnel.

Bandito
11-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Yes it is. But you get great hours to do whatever you want and vacation time. If you like kids well you would love this job.

Jailblazers7
11-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Don't love it but I like it.

Pros:
Interesting work a lot of the time
Very flexible schedule
Get to travel 5-6 times per year
Really good healthcare/dental
Awesome co-workers
Public service oriented business

Cons:
Could be making more elsewhere
Company not managed all that well (small business)
Limited advancement opportunities
Clients communication is poor
Occasional 60-70 work week for deadlines

I will probably stick it out for another year here and either get my CFA and move on or go to grad school. Overall I'd give it a 7/10.

mlh1981
11-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Don't love it but I like it.

Pros:
Interesting work a lot of the time
Very flexible schedule
Get to travel 5-6 times per year
Really good healthcare/dental
Awesome co-workers
Public service oriented business

Cons:
Could be making more elsewhere
Company not managed all that well (small business)
Limited advancement opportunities
Clients communication is poor
Occasional 60-70 work week for deadlines

I will probably stick it out for another year here and either get my CFA and move on or go to grad school. Overall I'd give it a 7/10.

I seem to recall some posts of yours from when you were in high school. You and a few others. Doesn't seem that long ago. Now, people are off working in the "real world." Time sure does fly.

step_back
11-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Pros:

Always overtime
Work with some really great people
Work place is nice
Get to meet a lot of interesting people including famous ones
Really local to me

Cons:

Money could/should be better
Can be very long hours. Minimum day is 12 hours so when I say long it's usually 16-17.
Job can be very confrontational

6/10

Charlie Sheen
11-06-2014, 03:38 PM
attorney 8/10

pros: never boring, rewarding, being in control of what you do and don't do.

cons: high stress, high workload, difficult situations that stay with you after hours, sometimes dealing w/ nasty court personnel.

got a question for you...

in law school could you pick out the people who were going to end up on a billboard somewhere hocking their services for DUI, Bankruptcy and Divorce? :lol

DeuceWallaces
11-06-2014, 03:45 PM
So far so good. Not terribly in love with the current incarnation, but I hope to move on in the next 1-2 years.

Timmy D for MVP
11-06-2014, 03:47 PM
8/10: After School Program

I'm a student so I needed a part time job and I got one that is fun, dynamic, regular/fixed hours to build around, and really great pay.

brownmamba00
11-06-2014, 04:27 PM
i'm in the chemical products business

pros: the pay is good, light workload, workplace with people all over the world and it's close to where I live.

cons: inconsistent workdays, have to get up very early, got a dickhead of a boss, tension between co-workers, work can get dirty smelly and dull, I do long hours.

Would I do this job if the money wasn't as good as it is? prob not

but def not the worst job I had 7/10

RidonKs
11-06-2014, 04:49 PM
working in schools / youth work

i have on occasion "been in love with my job" but its usually pretty fleeting. i love the elementary school environment but the actual work i'm paid to do, working with the kids who need help the most, isn't stimulating or exciting enough for me to say i love it. though it can be extremely gratifying.

i'm ready to move on though. the youngins take a toll on your own enthusiasm lol

Jailblazers7
11-06-2014, 05:57 PM
I seem to recall some posts of yours from when you were in high school. You and a few others. Doesn't seem that long ago. Now, people are off working in the "real world." Time sure does fly.

Sure does. It's pretty strange to have my coming of age basically documented and, in a way, witnessed by a bunch people who I've never met but that's the internet for ya. :lol

DukeDelonte13
11-07-2014, 11:26 AM
got a question for you...

in law school could you pick out the people who were going to end up on a billboard somewhere hocking their services for DUI, Bankruptcy and Divorce? :lol

kind of, you could pick out the firm worker bees that's for sure. The socially awkward people that are brilliant when it comes to the study of law, but wind up clueless about the actual practice of law.

Those guys with the big billboards are the real money makers, they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

andgar923
11-07-2014, 12:11 PM
7/10

ALBballer
11-07-2014, 07:12 PM
7/10

Pros:

-40 hour work week and I get overtime anything over 40 (which is rare but happens occasionally)
-Good benefits (ie work from home)
-Lots of travel which can be good and bad depending where you go

Cons:

-Pay is below average in the industry but people in my industry tend to work 50-60 hour work weeks
-People at my company are not respected

2LeTTeRS
11-07-2014, 08:00 PM
8/10. I'm a contracts negotiator for a company that manages clinical trials. I like my coworkers, the booming job market in my field, and love the flexibility (my company allows one work from home day per week and some competitors work from home fulltime); but can't say this is what I expected when I graduated law school.

Having a kid changed things a bit for me though and this job allows me to enjoy a pretty comfortable lifestyle here in NC.

dannywpt
11-07-2014, 08:48 PM
9/10

Real estate developer

I make shittons of money and love working

mlh1981
11-07-2014, 10:31 PM
working in schools / youth work

i have on occasion "been in love with my job" but its usually pretty fleeting. i love the elementary school environment but the actual work i'm paid to do, working with the kids who need help the most, isn't stimulating or exciting enough for me to say i love it. though it can be extremely gratifying.

i'm ready to move on though. the youngins take a toll on your own enthusiasm lol

Probably a lot of "redirecting" and repeating the same things over and over again, while trying to remember to give an appropriate amount of positive reinforcement. People who are able to do this day in and day out are angels. With some kids, it can be pretty difficult to measure if there is real progress or not. I have a few kids in my PE classes are who need this intense type of guidance/redirection. It can be frustrating for the 1/2 hour I have them. Can't even imagine a whole day of it.