PDA

View Full Version : At what % do you go from 'shooting' to 'chucking'

UK2K
11-06-2014, 03:08 AM
I see a lot of people bashing Kobe for shooting 40% this season.

I also remember Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Demar Derozan, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, and others who shot less than 42% last season (or close to it).

When your average team shoots 44% (Milwaukee at 15th), when does shooting become chucking? If Kobe shot 43% and put up 24 shots per game, is that still considered chucking? 45%?

Whats the magical threshold you have to cross percentage wise to stay in the 'shooting' zone?

For the record, I am not a Kobe fan, but people act like 40% is a terrible number. 4/10 is a bit on the low side, but 8/20 doesnt seem as bad.

Cocaine80s
11-06-2014, 03:10 AM
chucking is not the % but the amount of fg attempted

UK2K
11-06-2014, 03:13 AM
chucking is not the % but the amount of fg attempted

Blake Griffin averages 21 FGA per game, 3 less than Kobe. Is he chucking too?

But to your point, how many attempts is considered chucking then?

Is Durant a chucker (2nd in the league in FGA last season)? He's averaged over 19 attempts per game for several seasons.

Milbuck
11-06-2014, 03:13 AM
I see a lot of people bashing Kobe for shooting 40% this season.

I also remember Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Demar Derozan, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, and others who shot less than 42% last season (or close to it).

When your average team shoots 44% (Milwaukee at 15th), when does shooting become chucking? If Kobe shot 43% and put up 24 shots per game, is that still considered chucking? 45%?

Whats the magical threshold you have to cross percentage wise to stay in the 'shooting' zone?

For the record, I am not a Kobe fan, but people act like 40% is a terrible number. 4/10 is a bit on the low side, but 8/20 doesnt seem as bad.
http://memecrunch.com/image/50f06e87afa96f2f45000052.jpg

Cocaine80s
11-06-2014, 03:16 AM
Blake Griffin averages 21 FGA per game, 3 less than Kobe. Is he chucking too?

But to your point, how many attempts is considered chucking then?

Is Durant a chucker (2nd in the league in FGA last season)? He's averaged over 19 attempts per game for several seasons.
has Blake Griffin shot over 25 times in one game this season?

Kobe has done it 3 times in 5 games.

UK2K
11-06-2014, 03:18 AM
has Blake Griffin shot over 25 times in one game this season?

Kobe has done it 3 times in 5 games.

And still Kobe averages 24 FGA per game, and Blake averages 21.

So is the chucking threshold crossed somewhere between 21 and 24 attempts per game?

Cocaine80s
11-06-2014, 03:20 AM

So is the chucking threshold crossed somewhere between 21 and 24 attempts per game?
25 and higher

PsychoBe
11-06-2014, 03:21 AM

chucking is all in the eye-test, it's shooting with no regard or presence of mind for your team.

waiters and irving are prime examples of chuckers. if you pass them the ball then they feel compelled to shoot, there's no two ways about it. it's all about tunnel vision. you can average 10 fga a game and still be a chucker because you would have no business even attempting to get those shots off in the first place.

NZStreetBaller
11-06-2014, 03:22 AM
Theres alot more to judging chucking then just checking the percentages. This is what annoys me about people on ish they literally judge the entire game by statistics. Stats basically tells you what happened but not why it happened. So techniacally there is no level of fg% that determines the line between chucker and scorer

-smak

UK2K
11-06-2014, 03:44 AM
25 and higher
There has been three instances of a player taking more than 25 FGA per game since 2000.

Iverson in 2000-01, Iverson in 01-02, and Kobe in 2005-06

oarabbus
11-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Chucking is taking a high volume of shots, 16-20 or more, and shooting a low percentage - 33% or below is my arbitrary cutoff that I think is realistic. You can't say chucking doesn't involve FG% at all, because that's an important component. But the volume is also important. 2-10 isn't chucking, it's just a cold shooting night.

For example, 9/28 shots is chucking. 10/31 shots is chucking. But it's not absolute, 7/20 is above 33% barely, but could be considered chucking. 4/13 is below 33%, but the volume isn't quite extreme enough to be chucking. 5/16 is getting into chucking territory.

But in general, I think >15 shots on <33% shooting is a pretty good metric for chucking. 90% of the time someone puts up those kind of numbers, they were chucking.

mrpibb
11-06-2014, 04:53 AM
Taking 37 shots to get 39 points, with one assist.

okayabc123
11-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Are you chucking when majority of your teammates can create shots for themselves or others?

37 shots 39 points, in any context is chucking.. but to Kobe's defense, who else on the Lakers can create?

Jeremy Lin is always one too many dribble away from turnover, he can't consistently break the defense down like a good PG supposed to do.

Wesley Johnson can't create, he is a slasher, streaky shooter who needs people to get him open for shots.

Boozer? His games goes missing at times during the game. He should be more aggressive, but is this a Kobe problem not getting him the ball, or is he not a post player and more of a mid-ranger PF who is afraid to pound the post.

Hill is another mid-ranger player, no post game whatsoever. He gets a lot of shots from hustle and pick and pop on the top of the key.

Lakers' bench? I don't think you would pick any Lakers bench player as a dependable scorer or can create their own shots.

Right now, I rather Kobe shoot 40% than the team shooting 40% even if they can get shots off.

pastis
11-06-2014, 05:31 AM
its a combination of fga and the %

i would say beginning at 46% you are not chucking

iamgine
11-06-2014, 05:42 AM
Are you chucking when majority of your teammates can create shots for themselves or others?

37 shots 39 points, in any context is chucking.. but to Kobe's defense, who else on the Lakers can create?

Jeremy Lin is always one too many dribble away from turnover, he can't consistently break the defense down like a good PG supposed to do.

Wesley Johnson can't create, he is a slasher, streaky shooter who needs people to get him open for shots.

Boozer? His games goes missing at times during the game. He should be more aggressive, but is this a Kobe problem not getting him the ball, or is he not a post player and more of a mid-ranger PF who is afraid to pound the post.

Hill is another mid-ranger player, no post game whatsoever. He gets a lot of shots from hustle and pick and pop on the top of the key.

Lakers' bench? I don't think you would pick any Lakers bench player as a dependable scorer or can create their own shots.

Right now, I rather Kobe shoot 40% than the team shooting 40% even if they can get shots off.
Kobe's problem is he can create but what he create most of the time are low percentage shots opportunities for himself. Still better than someone who can't create at all but not very impressive either.

UK2K
11-06-2014, 06:11 AM
its a combination of fga and the %

i would say beginning at 46% you are not chucking
There's a long, long list of all stars who don't shoot 46%

trig
11-06-2014, 06:24 AM
when a player would rather shoot over 3 people than make a simple pass

pastis
11-06-2014, 07:45 AM
There's a long, long list of all stars who don't shoot 46%

you are right. maybe between 44-46%.
this number is showing that you either have a good shot selection or that you are able to hit ridiculous difficult shots.

antoine walker was 2x all-star and never shot over 40 %: thats not good for me.

and im talking about a whole career. everyone can have 1,2,3 seasons (from 15 you played e.g.) where you have a bad shot selection, not hitting, what ever. but if you will always be between 38-42%...a constant repetition...no i think thats just not good. especially if you arent a pure shooter.

and im not talking about KOBE. Kobe has a good % regarding hiw whole career. maybe now he is just forcing to advance all-time list and so he is having a bad shot selection. but this was surely no the case over his career

livingby3's
11-06-2014, 07:49 AM
How about watching games and determining the good and bad shots?

SpanishACB
11-06-2014, 07:53 AM
it depends on the % of the rest of hte team minus you

if you're shooting under your team's % and taking more shots than everyone else you're having a negative impact

nowaday's however, with plenty of stars being able to hover over the 55% mark at times, it's really silly to consider a player that can't make more than half his shots a franchise player...

dunksby
11-06-2014, 07:54 AM
I personally define it as shooting the ball mindlessly resulting in hindrance of the team's offensive flow/plan.

andgar923
11-06-2014, 09:57 AM
I personally define it as shooting the ball mindlessly resulting in hindrance of the team's offensive flow/plan.
THIS

Whether it's 3 shots or 25, it isn't the amount of even the fg% so much as the 'quality' of the shot, and how that shot fits within the overall team concept and game flow.