PDA

View Full Version : Post your All Glue-Guy team of the last 15 years

sammichoffate
11-09-2014, 10:44 PM
These are guys who usually didn't put out the best stats during their championship years, but were leaders in the locker room and kept their teams together through the good and the bad.

PG: Derek Fisher
SG: Manu Ginobili
SF: Rick Fox/James Posey
PF: Brian Scalabrine/Udonis Haslem
C: Alonzo Mourning

Feel free to disagree with my team and discuss your teams :cheers:

T_L_P
11-09-2014, 10:51 PM
For some reason I read this as "the leader". Would have disagreed with most of your picks. But since that's not what you wrote, I'd have to agree with your selections -- though Duncan, Rose, Robinson, Finley and Bowen were more vital presences on the Spurs than Manu was.

I would add Sam Cassell. Was pretty much the leader everywhere he went.

navy
11-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Deng with 30 tonight, someone like him.

sammichoffate
11-09-2014, 11:01 PM
For some reason I read this as "the leader". Would have disagreed with most of your picks. But since that's not what you wrote, I'd have to agree with your selections -- though Duncan, Rose, Robinson, Finley and Bowen were more vital presences on the Spurs than Manu was.

I would add Sam Cassell. Was pretty much the leader everywhere he went.I didn't want to put Duncan as a Center because he's known mostly as a PF even though he's played a lot of Center in his career. I picked Manu because he's been with the Spurs for almost the entire 15 years, coming off the bench. Very few people in NBA history could handle coming off the bench, much less thrive from it. He easily could have been a franchise player in his own right if he was on another team, instead chose to be one of the glue guys for the Spurs all these years and it's more than paid off.

iTare
11-09-2014, 11:01 PM
battier

sammichoffate
11-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Deng with 30 tonight, someone like him.He hasn't gotten a chip yet, unfortunately. I love Deng though, i'm sure any team would love to him someone like him on their roster.

T_L_P
11-09-2014, 11:06 PM
I didn't want to put Duncan as a Center because he's known mostly as a PF even though he's played a lot of Center in his career. I picked Manu because he's been with the Spurs for almost the entire 15 years, coming off the bench. Very few people in NBA history could handle coming off the bench, much less thrive from it. He easily could have been a franchise player in his own right if he was on another team, instead chose to be one of the glue guys for the Spurs all these years and it's more than paid off.

:cheers:

Bay Area Baller
11-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Glue gun? oh glue guy

i don't like your ficher pick over-rated chucker

but solid choice on manu :rockon:

would add guys like ray allen, Rip hamilton, and Reggie miller:applause: from late 90s-00

its all about being active on both ends sticking it to them on defense and getting a bucket on offense while engaging your team

current era gotta go with Draymond Green definite glue guy in the making

side note forgot Tim Hardaway and his kid looks good too props too Jr.

KobesFinger
11-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Glue gun? oh glue guy

would add guys like ray allen, Rip hamilton, and Reggie miller:applause: from late 90s-00

its all about being active on both ends sticking it to them on defense and getting a bucket on offense while engaging your team

9 posts in 4 years? Whose alt are you?

ImKobe
11-10-2014, 10:27 AM
AI
Kobe
Artest
Sheed
Howard

sike!

AboutBuckets
11-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Kirilenko deserves a spot on here

T_L_P
11-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Glue gun? oh glue guy

Brutal misunderstanding of the question.

brooks_thompson
11-11-2014, 11:56 AM
There's an obvious shortcut.

04-05 Pistons

brooks_thompson
11-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Real shot:

Billups (never was a huge fan, but can't think of a recent PG with better poise; a little too trigger-happy, but still a steadying force)

Eddie Jones (This one took the longest due to trying to avoid another another Ginobili pick)

James Posey (good pick; the guy stuck up for his teammates and wasn't afraid to get down. I remember him clotheslining Kobe after Kobe intentionally elbowed Mike Miller in the face in the Grizzlies days)

PJ Brown (good til his last days; see Boston '08 title run)

Dale Davis (nuff said)

All guys, with the exception of the occasional shoot-first Billups, who added to a team's play while taking little to nothing off the table.

I avoided superstars but it's worth stating that Garnett is one of the three modern mega-glue guys, just for his transformative role when he got to Boston, setting the team's mentality and defensive tone.

kurple
11-11-2014, 12:26 PM
PG: Billups (Detroit and Denver especially)

the mesiah
11-11-2014, 01:26 PM
PG-derek fisher
SG-tony allen
SF-Robert horry
PF-Ben wallace
C-serge Ibaka
COACH-thibs

SCdac
11-11-2014, 01:34 PM

I would add Sam Cassell. Was pretty much the leader everywhere he went.

Slightly past his prime Finley and Malik Rose more vital than Manu, who is the all time leader in 3's for the Spurs franchise and a future HOF'er? ... That's hardly true... And I'm a big Finley and Rose fan

T_L_P
11-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Slightly past his prime Finley and Malik Rose more vital than Manu, who is the all time leader in 3's for the Spurs franchise and a future HOF'er? ... That's hardly true... And I'm a big Finley and Rose fan

On the court? Absolutely not. Not even close. Manu has been a star player since 2005. Those two were never that for us (though 03 Rose was very good).

I'm talking more about setting the culture and working the locker room. I always felt like Rose was the perfect Spur. I guess the way I worded my post does sound confusing. :lol

SCdac
11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
On the court? Absolutely not. Not even close. Manu has been a star player since 2005. Those two were never that for us (though 03 Rose was very good).

I'm talking more about setting the culture and working the locker room. I always felt like Rose was the perfect Spur. I guess the way I worded my post does sound confusing. :lol

Aw word. I love Rose (see him around town every now and then) and Fin dog but neither is the magnitude of player Manu was... at least when they had an SA jersey on (Finley was pretty badass in DAL and PHX). Ginobili even lead the Spurs in scoring one season and was the leading MVP candidate for the Spurs (think he finished 8th or 9th or something overall)

Ultimate glue guy on the Spurs I think is either Bruce Bowen or Robert Horry. Did the little things predominantly. Shout out to Mario Ellie too. And Oberto.

T_L_P
11-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Aw word. I love Rose (see him around town every now and then) and Fin dog but neither is the magnitude of player Manu was... at least when they had an SA jersey on (Finley was pretty badass in DAL and PHX). Ginobili even lead the Spurs in scoring one season and was the leading MVP candidate for the Spurs (think he finished 8th or 9th or something overall)

Ultimate glue guy on the Spurs I think is either Bruce Bowen or Robert Horry. Did the little things predominantly. Shout out to Mario Ellie too. And Oberto.

Yeah, they both seem like great guys! And yes, I think Manu was our co-best player in 05 (along with Tim), and our best player in 11. :cheers:

Bruce is probably my pick too. He was really fun-loving but he'd eat you alive on the court. It's sad to see how hated he's become; he really wasn't as dirty as some would have you believe. Horry was another name I was gonna mention. And Bones, probably my favourite Spur after Tim and Porter, another great leader.

We've had such great guys. :lol

mehyaM24
11-11-2014, 02:04 PM
duncan. great locker room guy, good teammate, works well in the system, never beefed with any teammates as far as i know.

above all else, great accompaniment to manu and parker the last 7 or 8 seasons.

SCdac
11-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Duncan: the "glue guy" who was an AS/All Nba defender his rookie year and later won back-to-back MVP's averaging 23-26 ppg

Riiiight :oldlol:

jayfan
11-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Dennis Rodman
Tony Allen
Bruce Bowen
James Posey
Mario Eli
Derek Fisher
PJ Brown
Shane Battier
Marcus Camby
Boris Diaw
Caron Butler

mehyaM24
11-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Duncan: the "glue guy" who was an AS/All Nba defender his rookie year and later won back-to-back MVP's averaging 23-26 ppg

Riiiight :oldlol:
are you saying duncan wasn't a good "glue guy"?

jayfan
11-11-2014, 02:30 PM
are you saying duncan wasn't a good "glue guy"?

Relax. He's saying Duncan was above "glue guy" status. Which he was/is, while still possessing the positive attributes associated with glue guys. Don't hijack another thread starting a Duncan argument.

FatComputerNerd
11-11-2014, 06:13 PM
How has Varejao not been mentioned

Done_And_Done
11-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Bobby Jackson
Eric Snow (many rag on him but he was a vital glue piece to that 6ers team)
Tayshaun Prince
Doug Christie
Terry (2011)