PDA

View Full Version : ATP World Tour Finals a.k.a. The 5th Major.

bdreason
11-10-2014, 04:50 AM
At the end of every season, the top 8 players in the World play a round-robin tournament called the ATP World Tour Finals. It's not marketed like a Major, but it's a very prestigious tournament whose point value and prizes are 2nd only to the four Majors. This years participants are;

1. Novak Djokavic
2. Roger Federer
3. Stan Wawrinka
4. Kei Nishikori
5. Andy Murray
6. Thomas Berdych
7. Milos Raonic
8. Marin Cilic

Unfortunately only the semi-finals and finals will air on ESPN. All other matches are on Tennis Channel, or you can follow the results here;

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en

bdreason
11-10-2014, 04:52 AM
First day results saw Federer take down Raonic and Nishikori upset Murray. I was impressed with Fed because the WT Finals is indoors, and it's fast, which makes dealing with a guy like Raonic a real problem.

dunksby
11-10-2014, 04:59 AM
Can Novak make it 3 in a row? Hasn't been done since Lendl.

bdreason
11-10-2014, 05:15 AM
I actually considered going to this tournament. I've wanted to visit London for awhile, and why not catch some Tennis while I'm there?

Timing just didn't work out... but I've already started making my plans for the U.S. Open in NYC next year. I also already got my tickets for BNP Paribas Open in March.

Milbuck
11-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Berdych is like the anti-Ferrer...unreal talent, shit mentality and drive to succeed relative to that talent.

Surprised to see him still in that 5-8 range despite not doing anything of significant for years. Maybe I'm just out of the loop..haven't been keeping close track of the tour since Nadal's been on and off with his health for the past months..I know Berdych made the AO SF, but aside from that doesn't seem like he's done anything of note this season.

bdreason
11-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Murray beat Raonic today. He'll play Roger on Thursday.

NBAplayoffs2001
11-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Berdych is like the anti-Ferrer...unreal talent, shit mentality and drive to succeed relative to that talent.

Surprised to see him still in that 5-8 range despite not doing anything of significant for years. Maybe I'm just out of the loop..haven't been keeping close track of the tour since Nadal's been on and off with his health for the past months..I know Berdych made the AO SF, but aside from that doesn't seem like he's done anything of note this season.

Watching Berdych's career and seeing how he was so underachieving is painful.

Makes my eyes bleed :durantunimpressed:

bdreason
11-13-2014, 05:21 AM
Djoker smoked Wawrinka. Berdych whooped on Cilic.

Fed vs. Murray today.

dunksby
11-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Novak is rolling over everybody, hoping Federer embarrasses Murray.

imdaman99
11-13-2014, 01:51 PM
No Rafa no care but I do admit indoor hardcourt is his worst surface. He's made the finals a couple of times I think but he can't beat Djoko in best of 3s anymore anyway. Beats him in 5 setters though :pimp:

bdreason
11-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Novak is rolling over everybody, hoping Federer embarrasses Murray.

Fed embarrassed Murray; 6-0, 6-1.

dunksby
11-14-2014, 01:09 AM
Fed embarrassed Murray; 6-0, 6-1.
:applause:

dude77
11-15-2014, 12:16 PM
murray almost got his ass double bageled .. that was embarrassing .. I foresee a short partnership with mauresmo

djokovic takes out nishikori in 3 .. nishikori looked like he had momentum for a minute there .. he was up 15-40 in the opening game in the 3rd after taking the 2nd set and couldn't get the break .. I left for 20 minutes and it was over when I came back .. that was probably the turning point ..

federer is looking good .. the old man is looking impressive .. he's not going out with a whimper, that's for sure

dunksby
11-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Novak might not end up with 15 GS titles or something but in terms of peak play he is unbelievable. :applause:

bdreason
11-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Roger fights off 5 match points to defeat Wawrinka. He'll meet Djoker in the Finals... but I don't like his chances. Fed is playing great tennis, but Djoker is just too physical and too good a defender at this stage of their respective careers.

It is a fast surface and only 3 sets though... so you never know.

Milbuck
11-16-2014, 12:49 AM
Novak might not end up with 15 GS titles or something but in terms of peak play he is unbelievable. :applause:
I honestly have his peak as the 3rd best all-time behind Nadal/Federer.

We gotta adjust for era when we're considering greatness/legacies...but as far as peak play is concerned, 2011 Djokovic was as good as anyone to ever play. Literally the only thing stopping him from getting the calendar slam was Fed finding his 2006 peak mode against him at RG.

ArbitraryWater
11-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Federer just called off the final due to Injury..

bdreason
11-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Old man Fed must have hurt his back in the last match. Hopefully it isn't too bad, because last time he struggled on tour it was because of his back. Djoker would have lit him up in the Final anyways. Sucks for the people who had tickets though.

gigantes
11-16-2014, 07:08 PM
wawrinka returned the favor, so to speak. i recall a slam final from a couple years ago when djoker had a long, exhausting victory over stan but had to play again the next day in the final or semifinal. as expected, he was a shell of himself.

but at least fed came out and explained to the crowd personally his situation and then the organisers set up a couple exhibition matches. pretty classy moves all around.

still, i'm happy djoker nabbed another '5th major', another year-end #1 and that federer had an amazing season and ended #2. also, that two of the year's slams went to first-timers. it's good for tennis IMO.