PDA

View Full Version : Wait, there's a possibility of Love opting out?

SpecialQue
11-10-2014, 03:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/could-kobe-head-east-win-win

[QUOTE]It

StephHamann
11-10-2014, 03:20 PM
2/5 chances he opts out

Hey Yo
11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
He most certainly will opt out because he can get a higher max salary sooner because of how many years he's been in the league and the rising cap.

DukeDelonte13
11-10-2014, 03:29 PM
He most certainly will opt out because he can get a higher max salary sooner because of how many years he's been in the league and the rising cap.

this. He is definitely going to opt out. He isn't going to LA though.

HurricaneKid
11-10-2014, 03:30 PM
There was a considerable amount of discussion re: illegal backroom deal for the 5 yr max for KLove after this season.

Because why would the Cavs have given so much for him without a promise?

DukeDelonte13
11-10-2014, 03:33 PM
There was a considerable amount of discussion re: illegal backroom deal for the 5 yr max for KLove after this season.

Because why would the Cavs have given so much for him without a promise?

promises can be broken, ala Boozer.

But i'm with you on this, the cavs probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the deal unless there was a clear indication he was committed to playing with Lebron.

T_L_P
11-10-2014, 03:34 PM

But i'm with you on this, the cavs probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the deal unless there was a clear indication he was committed to playing with Lebron.

If Cavs have a horrible season (6 seed, first round loss), I could see Love leaving, because I'm sure he anticipated dominance.

That said, Cavs will probably have a very successful year, and Love will re-sign.

Hey Yo
11-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Agree

He said he wants to win, not watch Kobe take 29FGA per game.

Hey Yo
11-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Plus Cleveland can offer the most max money than any other team.

Sammyzuko
11-10-2014, 03:41 PM
It's all part of the plan....after this season Love will return to Minnesota:cheers:

outbreak
11-10-2014, 03:45 PM
It's all part of the plan....after this season Love will return to Minnesota:cheers:
Love and lebron both bolt to the wolves.

choppermagic
11-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Who knows. I get the feeling that he wont get the kudos and 'love' he is looking for playing in Lebron's shadow. If Kobe is nagged with injuries again this year, the Lakers may declare a new era to begin next year and sell Love on being a huge star in the 2nd biggest market.

JT123
11-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Who knows. I get the feeling that he wont get the kudos and 'love' he is looking for playing in Lebron's shadow. If Kobe is nagged with injuries again this year, the Lakers may declare a new era to begin next year and sell Love on being a huge star in the 2nd biggest market.
:biggums: You seriously think Kobe will allow Love to become the team's first option? :roll:
And how much "love" do you think Kevin is going to get for leading the Lakers to the lottery? :hammerhead:

chazzy
11-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to opt in and then get max money in 2016?

DukeDelonte13
11-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Love isn't the answer to LA Lakers problems. They need a generational talent which love is not. They made a mistake going after another superstar du jour in Dwight Howard and they don't need to repeat it.

Love is a bit of a diva and a downright terrible defender, and IMO was a bad leader in Minny. Come to think of it, he is kind of like the bigman version of Kyrie Irving. He's best suited as a complimentary piece and not a number option, at least at this stage in his career.

steve
11-10-2014, 04:20 PM

That's assuming the salary cap spikes up in such a way to mirror the league's revenue but there's enough talk about the league trying to figure out ways to iron out the salary cap so doesn't spike in such a way that if he waits another year his ability to draw more money might not increase that much.

toneloc103
11-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Why did you even make this thread? There was always the chance he could opt out. some people are just dumb or want to get their post count up...

steve
11-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Also consider this: Love just turned 26 by the time he opts out and signs a new deal (if he stays with the Cavs, it'll be 5 years) he'll effectively be 27. This would make him 32 when the contract expires and if he waits another year to sign a max deal it will most likely net him more money but reduce the chances of him another major contract and the length of that deal. Players think of trying to maximize the length of their earning potential just as much as how much money they can earn a singular moment.

Hey Yo
11-10-2014, 04:38 PM
This explains why it wouldn't make more sense:

[QUOTE]"His 2015-16 salary is slated to be $16,744,219. But because he

HurricaneKid
11-10-2014, 04:40 PM

That was like 11 years ago and there are still people that won't work with him/his agent because of it. If thats the last example you have, that makes a good point.

AKADS
11-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I think he opts in and waits for the new tv contract to kick in when the max will go up a lot. Same as why Lebron signed a two year deal.

D-Rose
11-10-2014, 04:58 PM
This whole Sam Smith "rumor" is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard/read/seen gain traction since I've been following this league. Complete and utter non story set up for click baiting and attention.

All Net
11-10-2014, 05:05 PM
He was always opting out..he won't leave cleveland.

DonDadda59
11-10-2014, 05:15 PM
It would be hilarious to see LeBron get Lebroned. Love would get extra points for holding an hour long prime time special to make the announcement and then Bron proceeds to burn his Love Cavs jersey in his back yard.

Funnyfuka
11-10-2014, 05:35 PM
bron and love dont mix well together. No idea why lebron got back to cleveland.

STATUTORY
11-10-2014, 05:37 PM
unless stockholm syndrome sinks in he's gonna opt out

no one likes being a slave for the bald ass king. Love Unchained

sammichoffate
11-10-2014, 05:41 PM
If he left, it would remind me of Dwight leaving for Houston after the Lakers rented him for one year. Good chance he might leave if things don't pan out.

sammichoffate
11-10-2014, 05:41 PM
It would be hilarious to see LeBron get Lebroned. Love would get extra points for holding an hour long prime time special to make the announcement and then Bron proceeds to burn his Love Cavs jersey in his back yard.:lebronamazed:

SwishSquared
11-10-2014, 05:54 PM
I'd be pretty stunned if he doesn't opt out this summer, assuming he's healthy and such. If Cleveland were in serious jeopardy of losing him to another squad, I think they'd dump Kyrie and get another PG before risking out on Love leaving due to a bad fit. I think Love was drawn to playing with LBJ more so than Kyrie/Waiters (which is why before LBJ returned there was talk of a trade to CLE getting shut down since he wouldn't commit to them).

Kyrie's not a real superstar, but a guy who can get his own shot locked into a 5 year deal, even at the max, could intrigue some star-starved teams imo.

Hey Yo
11-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Agree

He said he wants to win, not watch Kobe take 29FGA per game.
LOL at whoever negged me for my comment above.

didn't mean to make ya :cry: :cry: :cry:

Crown&Coke
11-10-2014, 07:52 PM

I would think so. But then you have to weight that vs the chances he gets hurt.

But I thought he told Cleveland he would opt in to the contract when he got dealt? Otherwise Cleveland gave up 2 #1 picks for a potential rental. Cleveland can't force him to opt in, but they can ask

el gringos
11-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Lebron will try to fight love to get to the Knicks. Phil will pick Love.