PDA

View Full Version : What Are Some of the Best Coaching Moves In NBA History?

T_L_P
11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Pop switching on the PnR against the Suns every damn time in 2005 won them the series.

In case you forgot, the Spurs had Parker/Manu/Bowen guard Amare on the switch pretty much every time he and Nash went into Pick and Roll (which was a lot). Nash brought the ball back out, and the Suns gave the ball to Amare down low. He feasted on those guys, and on Duncan, but it turned the Suns from a super fast-paced offense into a more traditional one. Amare got his but we could stay home on the shooters and play the game at our pace. We beat the 1st seeded Suns in 5 games.

Are there any other examples of brilliant coaching moves like this in a series?

dubeta
11-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Spo facilitating LeBron Ball to deliver championships once they failed miserably in 2011 when Wade tried to be #1

T_L_P
11-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Spo facilitating LeBron Ball to deliver championships once they failed miserably in 2011 when Wade tried to be #1

Top 5 coach of all time. :bowdown:

choppermagic
11-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Phil Jackson in 1991 figuring out that stopping Magic was the key to clogging up the Lakers' offense. He put Scottie and MJ on MJ nearly full court to body and bump him all the way down the floor. The effort on the aging Magic wore him down a bit and controlled the Laker offense enough for the Bulls to get the edge.

kenny817
11-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Carlisle deciding to start Barea a few games into the Finals

Forgot which game exactly

HOoopCityJones
11-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Taking Duncan out of a close out Finals game twice with minimal time on the clock.

Im Still Ballin
11-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Taking Duncan out of a close out Finals game twice with minimal time on the clock.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/06/oh-snap.gif
TLP DOWN!

TLP DOWN!

T_L_P
11-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Lost us a game. Terrible coaching move.

I applaud the effort though. :applause:

Joyner82reload
11-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Carlisle guarding LeBron with Kidd

Heavincent
11-10-2014, 04:22 PM
This is pretty much the Rick Carlisle thread.

Haymaker
11-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Pop inserting Diaw into the starting lineup to destroy the swarming Heat defense.

oarabbus
11-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Spo playing LeBron in the final minutes of ECF when Vogel sat hibbert

JK that was just Vogel being dumb

ProfessorMurder
11-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Pop inserting Diaw into the starting lineup to destroy the swarming Heat defense.

Playing Bonner against OKC was good too.

SamuraiSWISH
11-10-2014, 04:48 PM
PJ putting Scottie on Magic in stretches in '91 to keep Mike out of potential foul trouble, seeing as how he needed to carry the offense.

Haymaker
11-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Playing Bonner against OKC was good too.

True. :applause:

T_L_P
11-10-2014, 05:02 PM
True. :applause:

But...Pop trying desperately to implement Bonner as a stretch-4 from 09-11 really wasn't good. :oldlol:

mehyaM24
11-10-2014, 05:03 PM
larry brown throwing the kitchen sink at duncan in game 7 of the 2005 finals. unfortantely it was too late and the spurs squeaked away with a W.

one of the worst game 7 INDIVIDUAL performances in the postseason ever, designed by the great larry brown.

T_L_P
11-10-2014, 05:13 PM
larry brown throwing the kitchen sink at duncan in game 7 of the 2005 finals. unfortantely it was too late and the spurs squeaked away with a W.

one of the worst game 7 INDIVIDUAL performances in the postseason ever, designed by the great larry brown.

"His complete game is so sound, so fundamnetal, so unnoticed at times, because if he didn't score, people think, 'Well, he didn't do anything,'" Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "But he was incredible and he was the force that got it done for us."

"You follow your leader," Spurs guard Tony Parker said. "Timmy is the leader of the team, and he just carried us tonight."

"He put his team on his shoulders and carried them to a championship," Pistons' center Ben Wallace said. "That's what the great players do."

"You could tell when he caught the ball, how much more physical he was, getting in position and bumping and grinding and getting shots and making sure he got toward the rim, so that when people came at him he was in good position to open up a teammate," Popovich said.

"A lot of the shots they made, open shots, came as a result of us having a hard time guarding him," Brown said. "That's why he's such a great player."

And since quotes are the end-all, be-all with you, I'd say this is pretty irrefutable.

Hold this loss, lil man.

mehyaM24
11-10-2014, 05:19 PM
And since quotes are the end-all, be-all with you, I'd say this is pretty irrefutable.

Hold this loss, lil man.
lol

when did i ever claim quotes were the "end all be all"? i'm a big proponent on numbers and advanced stats - duncan had the second lowest +/- on his team that game, and i believe the worst game score of any starter. facts.

parker and pop calling duncan a leader? nothing new or profound about that. i've maintained that parker/manu were the lead alphas on san antonio dating back to 2007, and as early as 2006.

:confusedshrug:

T_L_P
11-10-2014, 05:28 PM
lol

when did i ever claim quotes were the "end all be all"? i'm a big proponent on numbers and advanced stats - duncan had the second lowest +/- on his team that game, and i believe the worst game score of any starter. facts.

parker and pop calling duncan a leader? nothing new or profound about that. i've maintained that parker/manu were the lead alphas on san antonio dating back to 2007, and as early as 2006.

:confusedshrug:

Glad you skipped over Brown's quote saying they had a hard time guarding Tim. Or Ben Wallace saying he won them the series.

I distinctly remember your claim for Shaq being Finals MVP in 06 was "Wade called him the best player." Because that's all he had. Wade scored like 3 times as many points as him. And he was only a year or so removed from his prime. :roll:

But whatever. If you love numbers, then you'll agree Duncan has still been the team's best player over that period. Raw, advanced, whatever.

One thing: the stats say past-his-prime Duncan > prime Webber. So do the results. Yet Duncan's just a system player and Webber was the better player. At least stay consistent, troll. When you got called on your shit you started back-peddling like a bitch.

mehyaM24
11-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Glad you skipped over Brown's quote saying they had a hard time guarding Tim.
:facepalm

i said that brown threw the kitchen sink at duncan, you ****ing clown.

I distinctly remember your claim for Shaq being Finals MVP in 06 was "Wade called him the best player." Because that's all he had. Wade scored like 3 times as many points as him. And he was only a year or so removed from his prime. :roll:

i wont derail this thread, so let me make this quick.

what originally was said, is that shaq drew all the double and triple teams and was the best defensive player and reobunder given the minutes. the quotes just backed what i was saying, like avery johnson being quoted saying everything in his game plan was to stop shaq - that he was the MAIN cog and priority.

last time i will address this with you.

SCdac
11-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Speaking of 05 Spurs, assigning Bruce Bowen to guard Chauncey Billups in some important moments (particularly Game 7) was brilliant. He mostly guarded Rip or Tayshaun. Bowen's length, when thrown at Chauncey in bursts, was effective and a good call by Pop.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/bowen%20blocks%20billups.gif