PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Jeremy Lin Get So Much Hate?

Dro
11-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Serious question. Despite how well Donald Sloan has been playing, I'd give anything to have Lin as our starting PG right now. Now, I don't really keep up with his numbers on a day to day basis but I have watched almost every Laker game this season. He seems to be able to score, make open 3's, get into the lane and play decent defense. I don't understand why he gets so much hate. Can somebody enlighten me?

IncarceratedBob
11-10-2014, 05:44 PM
It's b/c of he's ethnicity

Mass Debator
11-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Asian and the unreachable hype that was created with Linsanity.

MP.Trey
11-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Casual fans tend to overrate Lin simply due to Linsanity. Thinking he's an all-star caliber player.

Some snobby/opinionated NBA fans hate that casual fans overrate Lin, so they do whatever they can to put Lin's name in the dirt, calling him "overrated", "trash", etc.

Most educated fans know he's a very serviceable player and could start at point or get significant sixth man minutes on most NBA teams.

Dro
11-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Casual fans tend to overrate Lin simply due to Linsanity. Thinking he's an all-star caliber player.

Some snobby/opinionated NBA fans hate that casual fans overrate Lin, so they do whatever they can to put Lin's name in the dirt, calling him "overrated", "trash", etc.

Most educated fans know he's a very serviceable player and could start at point or get significant sixth man minutes on most NBA teams.
Ok, I can understand this..Its kind've how Andrew Luck gets so much hate on football forums because ESPN is always sucking up to him. I know they're in different leagues as far as how good they are compared to their peers, Luck is approaching top 5 QB status but I always thought Lin was a good player, even in NY. I don't know why anyone expected him to be an all NBA player...

JimmyMcAdocious
11-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Forreal, tho. It's primarily because he's Asian.

He got so much hype and has some many fans because he's Asian. It all starts from there: the excessive hype from the media, they why does this average player have so many fans, etc... There's also a stigma about Asian basketball players.

ralph_i_el
11-10-2014, 06:05 PM
It's backlash for all the undeserved love he gets. He's just an average player. He can ball, but in terms of skills I specifically want out of my point guard, he's subpar. He's ok at running an offense and he's not a good shooter. He doesn't take care of the ball well. He's big (for a pg) and fast, and he can finish around the rim.

Mass Debator
11-10-2014, 06:06 PM
It's backlash for all the undeserved love he gets. He's just an average player.
Explain undeserved

mehyaM24
11-10-2014, 06:09 PM
i just dont get why there are multiple threads created about him, on the daily. beside him being asian, what is so unique about being, at best, an average pointguard?

the fact his casual fanbase repeat topics after ONE "good" game is also obsessive and creepy.

Mass Debator
11-10-2014, 06:13 PM
i just dont get why there are multiple threads created about him, on the daily. beside him being asian, what is so unique about being, at best, an average pointguard?

the fact his casual fanbase repeat topics after ONE "good" game is also obsessive.
Well, he's the best point guard Lakers have had since Magic. :lol

Cocaine80s
11-10-2014, 06:16 PM
He has the worst handles in the league yet phags like kidbasketball20 thinks hes better than Westbrook.

Dro
11-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Well, he's the best point guard Lakers have had since Magic. :lol
:biggums:

Nick Van Exel? Is he better than prime Derrick Fisher? whatever Fisher's prime may be?

Edit-forgot Sedale Threatt and also Gary Payton(out of his prime of course)...

Blue&Orange
11-10-2014, 06:21 PM
linsanity, everything remotely NY related gets hated here.

DMV2
11-10-2014, 06:23 PM
The hype he got wasn't even for basketball reasons. It was the novelty.

Asian. Harvard. Undrafted. New York City. Knicks sucking ass.

It was beyond his control, really. Most of the hype came from non-NBA, non-sport fans and media. Don't think his goal was to get the Wall Street Journal writing about him.

Mass Debator
11-10-2014, 06:23 PM

Nick Van Exel? Is he better than prime Derrick Fisher? whatever Fisher's prime may be?
Lol sht forgot about Nick the quick. Pretty sure prime Lin will be better than Fisher..not on the defensive side though..just a more all around performance because of the opportunities.

Levity
11-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Because LOF's are the worst breed of basketball fans.

yes worse than kobe and lebron tards.

mehyaM24
11-10-2014, 06:24 PM

my point exactly. casual fans are the worst.

Dro
11-10-2014, 06:27 PM
He has the worst handles in the league yet phags like kidbasketball20 thinks hes better than Westbrook.
He doesn't have the best handles but they seem adequate enough. Does he turn it over a lot? He seems to be able to get to the rim but maybe he should try to do fewer moves to get there? He should probably just use his speed and quickness to get to the rim like John Wall does(not that he's as fast as Wall).

Kidbasketball20
11-10-2014, 06:37 PM
:facepalm

Liar. I've never seen he's better than Westbrook you dumb moron. You just make up things to get your point across.

oarabbus
11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
It's backlash for all the undeserved love he gets. He's just an average player. He can ball, but in terms of skills I specifically want out of my point guard, he's subpar. He's ok at running an offense and he's not a good shooter. He doesn't take care of the ball well. He's big (for a pg) and fast, and he can finish around the rim.

He got so much hype and has some many fans because he's Asian. It all starts from there: the excessive hype from the media, they why does this average player have so many fans, etc... There's also a stigma about Asian basketball players.

That's the thing though... for everyone saying "he only got the hype because he's asian" "a black guy wouldn't get this much attention" I'm not disagreeing with that, but you're misinterpreting how he got there in the first place. As someone who's been a fan of Lin since '06, he simply never got the respect he deserves. Our high school team went 32-1 during his junior and senior years there, and he was the reason why. We were state champs, and he was named DII player of the year.

He didn't get a single scholarship offer to another school. Lesser PGs who you never heard of even in college were getting full rides to D1 schools and he was being told he would have to try to make the squad as a walk-on. There has never been a CA player of the year (even D2) who hadn't received an offer to play in college until Lin. Coaches were worried about "lack of upside" "lack of athleticism" etc. He did his work in the HS league and also at youth tournaments but apparently that counted for nothing.

Sure, Linsanity would have never happened if he was black, but he would have also gotten a scholarship to a D1 school and been drafted if he was too. It wouldn't have had to come down to an injured Toney Douglas unable to play behind the corpses of Mike Bibby and Baron Davis, for Lin to get some playing time. Hell even if he was white he'd have gotten a D1 offer.

6'3", good size and strength, proven clutch play, state champ that beat a powerhouse in Mater Dei... if he was a white or black guy he would've been recruited.

Is he a GREAT player? No, not yet. Is he amazing? The next Nash? No. Is he a top 5 PG? No. But he is a good player who has earned his spot in the league and all the comments of "he's trash/a scrub/doesn't belong in the NBA" is just ludicrous.

He doesn't have the best handles but they seem adequate enough. Does he turn it over a lot? He seems to be able to get to the rim but maybe he should try to do fewer moves to get there? He should probably just use his speed and quickness to get to the rim like John Wall does(not that he's as fast as Wall).

He has games where he's giving the ball away like a hot potato to the other team. Bad tendency to drive into the paint and pick up the dribble, or sometimes even jump in the air without an out, leading to a TO or close to one.

He's an underrated 3pt shooter (as in he's a good 3pt shooter, not excellent) and his PnR ability is quite underrated as well. He also elevates the games of his teammates, he never "gets his" at the expense of the team. It remains to be seen whether he's a capable starter but I have no doubt he can remain one of the better 6th men in the league.

In a game where all cylinders are firing, he can limit his TOs, score 25 points, and dish out 8+ assists. If he doesn't learn to "play in control" this year then I'm not sure he ever will, but there is a chance.

Oh, and if you give him confidence and a big man who can go up and get it and the coach's OK, (Chandler in NY) you should prepare for Lobsanity.

Dro
11-10-2014, 06:58 PM
That's the thing though... for everyone saying "he only got the hype because he's asian" "a black guy wouldn't get this much attention" I'm not disagreeing with that, but you're misinterpreting how he got there in the first place. As someone who's been a fan of Lin since '06, he simply never got the respect he deserves. Our high school team went 32-1 during his junior and senior years there, and he was the reason why. We were state champs, and he was named DII player of the year.

He didn't get a single scholarship offer to another school. Lesser PGs who you never heard of even in college were getting full rides to D1 schools and he was being told he would have to try to make the squad as a walk-on. There has never been a CA player of the year (even D2) who hadn't received an offer to play in college until Lin. Coaches were worried about "lack of upside" "lack of athleticism" etc. He did his work in the HS league and also at youth tournaments but apparently that counted for nothing.

Sure, Linsanity would have never happened if he was black, but he would have also gotten a scholarship to a D1 school and been drafted if he was too. It wouldn't have had to come down to an injured Toney Douglas unable to play behind the corpses of Mike Bibby and Baron Davis, for Lin to get some playing time. Hell even if he was white he'd have gotten a D1 offer.

6'3", good size and strength, proven clutch play, state champ that beat a powerhouse in Mater Dei... if he was a white or black guy he would've been recruited.

Is he a GREAT player? No, not yet. Is he amazing? The next Nash? No. Is he a top 5 PG? No. But he is a good player who has earned his spot in the league and all the comments of "he's trash/a scrub/doesn't belong in the NBA" is just ludicrous.

He has games where he's giving the ball away like a hot potato to the other team. Bad tendency to drive into the paint and pick up the dribble, or sometimes even jump in the air without an out, leading to a TO or close to one.

He's an underrated 3pt shooter (as in he's a good 3pt shooter, not excellent) and his PnR ability is quite underrated as well. He also elevates the games of his teammates, he never "gets his" at the expense of the team. It remains to be seen whether he's a capable starter but I have no doubt he can remain one of the better 6th men in the league.

In a game where all cylinders are firing, he can limit his TOs, score 25 points, and dish out 8+ assists. If he doesn't learn to "play in control" this year then I'm not sure he ever will, but there is a chance.

Oh, and if you give him confidence and a big man who can go up and get it and the coach's OK, (Chandler in NY) you should prepare for Lobsanity.
Excellent post and info. I'm sure most of us did not really know about his HS success and you make good points which I agree with. Thank you.:applause:

strifed169
11-10-2014, 07:12 PM
cause of fgts like kidbasketball

Dro
11-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Also, I didn't realize how many topics kidbasketball had started about Lin before I made this...Its only from seeing what other's said that I actually went and looked and he does have some threads about Lin...But I've always liked Lin and always wondered this.....I'm sure I've asked the question in various threads before.....

Legends66NBA7
11-10-2014, 07:19 PM
I just don't like how much of a hype machine he became. And lets be real, it's all because of his race and going off in a 10+ game span back in 2012.

He's an average at best PG, but he gets praised like he's something else. And worst of all, his fan base defend him through all his flaws.

If I'm out of a line, tell me stop. But I don't what so great about the kid. If he becomes a good player, cool. I'll be happy he proved me wrong. Just don't see it happening though.

Dro
11-10-2014, 07:20 PM
I just don't like how much of a hype machine he became. And lets be real, it's all because of his race and going off in a 10+ game span back in 2012.

He's an average at best PG, but he gets praised like he's something else. And worst of all, his fan base defend him through all his flaws.

If I'm out of a line, tell me stop. But I don't what so great about the kid. If he becomes a good player, cool. I'll be happy he proved me wrong. Just don't see it happening though.
I agree with you mostly but I think he's already a good player...Maybe makes too many turnovers but I think he's a good player, maybe not the prototypical PG...But I'm not sure if he shoots well enough, is good enough off-ball to play SG....

J Shuttlesworth
11-10-2014, 07:35 PM

That doesn't sound like a reason to hate him. It sounds like a reason to hate the media. What did he do himself to deserve hate? Have a great start to his career?

boozehound
11-10-2014, 07:42 PM
because hes white

KungFuJoe
11-10-2014, 08:30 PM
I don't know why he gets hate for Linsanity.

Linsanity was ****ing AWESOME. If you hated Linsanity, you're not a basketball fan or you're a racist. Real talk.

tgan3
11-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah man, i mean wesley johnson sucks ball 3 times more than Lin (At least Lin puts up good performances time to time), but wesley never gets metioned or hated around here.

Kidbasketball20
11-10-2014, 09:33 PM
cause of fgts like kidbasketball

Who are you :lol :lol :oldlol: I've never seen you post in my life

Dro
11-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Yeah man, i mean wesley johnson sucks ball 3 times more than Lin (At least Lin puts up good performances time to time), but wesley never gets metioned or hated around here.

I've seen Wesley get mentioned a few times on here but definitely not nearly as much as Lin...Every time I watch Wesley, I cringe.......

Kidbasketball20
11-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Cuz of creepy stalkers like Cocaine80s who will bump old threads about Jeremy Lin then complain about people posting about Jeremy Lin.