PDA

View Full Version : Thompson assist falsely credited to LeBron for his "triple double" vs Pelicans

oarabbus
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM
From reddit...

All the top stories and headlines were screaming that LeBron had a triple-double (even reddit!) and Game Time app has even sent a message, tough there wasn't any when CP3 or RR also had triple-double.
And you know what? LeBron hadn't his 38th regular season and 49th overall triple-double last night.
His stat line should be 32 pts, 12 reb and 9 ast. Back in the third quarter, when the Kyrie scored an acrobatic layup (and traveled, too) it was Tristan Thompson who passed the ball, not LeBron. However, if you see at NBA.com's and ESPN's play-by-play you find that the assist was awarded to James.
Here are play-by-play screens and here is the play. I'm looking forward to see if NBA is gonna change that and then maybe send a message to my GameTime app. Would be fair enough!

http://i.imgur.com/aYsv6ik.png
http://giant.gfycat.com/VibrantParchedAsianelephant.gif

First of all, that wasn't even an assist to Thompson, much less Lebron. It was just Kyrie running the floor, he took more than a dribble. Anyway The NBA does stat corrections, as far as I know. But maybe not when the corrected stats might negatively impact one King James.

ImKobe
11-11-2014, 03:20 PM
:kobe:

I wonder how many more assists he has been falsely given for his career.

Fudge
11-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Exposed. :oldlol:

Bron even needs help from the stat sheet people.

KyleKong
11-11-2014, 03:23 PM

There was a thread made about this by A.W. before.

The difference in home game assists vs away game assists. Because the home team chooses their stat keeper and not the NBA front office. So assists will always be skewed in some sense.

I remember during the playoffs Westbrook got his triple double against the Clippers when he passed it to Ibaka and Ibaka posted up and took like nine seconds to shoot after the pass. Even Jeff Van Gundy made fun of the fact that was recorded as an assist.

So, when it comes to assists, I think everyone gets a little stat boost.

tpols
11-11-2014, 03:24 PM
His last assist was the funniest.. on a PnR with kyrie lebron passed it to him.. kyrie pump faked, jab stepped and shot it like 4-5 seconds after lebron passed it to him.:lol

In that case.. is the last pass to any shot an assist?

ImKobe

The difference in home game assists vs away game assists. Because the home team chooses their stat keeper and not the NBA front office. So assists will always be skewed in some sense.

I remember during the playoffs Westbrook got his triple double against the Clippers when he passed it to Ibaka and Ibaka posted up and took like nine seconds to shoot after the pass. Even Jeff Van Gundy made fun of the fact that was recorded as an assist.

http://deadspin.com/5345287/the-confessions-of-an-nba-scorekeeper

Phenith

It's funny how stuff like this only gets noticed when someone doesn't like the player in question. This happens all the time, league wide, there is no reason other than an agenda to point it out. Does LBJ's non triple double make the Cavs lose, no... so who cares. It's situations like this, again, league wide, that contribute to stats being an inaccurate measure of a player.

ImKobe
11-11-2014, 03:26 PM
It's funny how stuff like this only gets noticed when someone doesn't like the player in question. This happens all the time, league wide, there is no reason other than an agenda to point it out. Does LBJ's non triple double make the Cavs lose, no... so who cares. It's situations like this, again, league wide, that contribute to stats being an inaccurate measure of a player.

Have nothing against him, just LOL at his stans that don't even watch the games, getting exposed like this :bowdown:

oarabbus
11-11-2014, 03:27 PM

I like LeBron. I like Kobe too, and Durant. But that's not the point of this thread.

My biggest issue is that the play in question was counted as an assist in the first place. If you're taking several dribbles, it wasn't an assisted basket. This happens with Rondo and CP3 and there have been numerous threads about how their assists are bullshit too. It's not good for the league. LeBron's game simply happens to be high profile and JUST happened. I'll make a thread about a falsely credited Rondo triple double too when it happens.

nathanjizzle
11-11-2014, 03:32 PM
I like LeBron. I like Kobe too, and Durant. But that's not the point of this thread.

My biggest issue is that the play in question was counted as an assist in the first place. If you're taking several dribbles, it wasn't an assisted basket. This happens with Rondo and CP3 and there have been numerous threads about how their assists are bullshit too. It's not good for the league. LeBron's game simply happens to be high profile and JUST happened. I'll make a thread about a falsely credited Rondo triple double too when it happens.

i noticed that, cp3's stat keeper is really lenient.

Akhenaten
11-11-2014, 03:34 PM
1. That aint no goddamn assist.

2. Kyrie did not travel, OP is saltier than a bag of pork rinds.

3. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Haskel45/post-38657-Friday-I-dont-give-a-****-gif-SOGE_zps2dte0brk.gif

oarabbus
11-11-2014, 03:35 PM
1. That aint no goddamn assist.

2. Kyrie did not travel, OP is saltier than a bag of pork rinds.

3. http://img.pandawhale.com/post-38657-Friday-I-dont-give-a-****-gif-SOGE.gif

1. You're correct, not an assist

2. I didn't say that, that's quoted, work on your reading comprehension genius

3. Nice broken link.

Joyner82reload
11-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Really? A pass to 3/4 court where a guy goes 1 on 2 and scores on a borderline reverse contested layup is an assist? Jesus christ

Phenith
11-11-2014, 04:05 PM

If you want to make a thread about the league wide issue of bad stat keeping, why did you point out a single player?

Same thing goes for the "superstar call" problem, people focus on bad calls one player gets rather than the fact it's a league wide problem.

When one player is singled out for something that is a widespread problem, it just sounds petty.

It's like pointing out that certain person didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign when everyone knows, that it happens all over the place, all the time.

oarabbus
11-11-2014, 04:08 PM
If you want to make a thread about the league wide issue of bad stat keeping, why did you point out a single player?

Same thing goes for the "superstar call" problem, people focus on bad calls one player gets rather than the fact it's a league wide problem.

When one player is singled out for something that is a widespread problem, it just sounds petty.

It's like pointing out that certain person didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign when everyone knows, that it happens all over the place, all the time.

Well excuse me for singling out LeBron amongst the numerous players who had triple doubles yesterday...

Ai2death
11-11-2014, 04:13 PM

No one else ever gets called the greatest and has Chosen One tattooed on their back.

Timmy D for MVP
11-11-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't understand how there aren't official NBA independent score keepers at every game.

ArbitraryWater
11-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Except NBA took it away already.

But the stat-keeping is a huge hole.... Made a thread on this not too long ago.

Home cooking assists. Although this was just a blatant mistake.

imdaman99
11-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Feel bad for bran. This is twice they have done him like this :oldlol:

If they had updated it by halftime or even end of 3rd quarter, he could have force-fed his teammates to get an extra assist. It would have been done. Not like he wants to shoot in 4th quarters anyway.

tmacattack33
11-11-2014, 04:28 PM
The night after Lebron recorded a 50 point triple double about 5 years ago, the league went back and reviewed a play and took his 10th assist back.

That was the first time I can remember them going back and changing a stat. They certainly wouldn't have went back if it was some random player who had 8 points and 2 assists that night.

Therefore, it is only fair that Lebron gets the benefit of the doubt from now on.

3ball
11-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Lebron has dominated the ball like a point guard his entire career and is the most ball-dominant wing player of all time, so he it shouldn't be a surprise that he has more triple-doubles in his career than any other wing (other than off-ball wing player Larry Bird).

But he's never been good enough as a ball-dominator to get 10 triple-doubles in 11 games (http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/01/michael-jordan-point-guard-in-1989-posted-triple-double-10-of-11-games), his assist averages are only slightly better than off-ball players Bird and Jordan, and his career triple double totals are a small fraction of the real best-passing ball-dominators, Kidd, Magic, and Oscar.

We've always overrated Lebron's passing a little bit... moving on.. :rolleyes:

eSOL
11-11-2014, 04:42 PM
hahahaha. All of these kobe stans straight up salty.

Keep the tears flowing ******

R.I.P.
11-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Really? A pass to 3/4 court where a guy goes 1 on 2 and scores on a borderline reverse contested layup is an assist? Jesus christ

Makes sense. Lay-up continuation with Irving starts at the 3pt line, so assists to Irving start with receiving a pass in the own half.

R.I.P.
11-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I don't understand how there aren't official NBA independent score keepers at every game.

Till last season the replay review was in the hands of the local video crew, too. The Blazers intentionally didn

Phenith
11-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Well excuse me for singling out LeBron amongst the numerous players who had triple doubles yesterday...

So the point is to highlight that bad stat keeping leads to unearned triple doubles using the most recent case as evidence. I can partially accept that point.

outbreak
11-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Unearned stats happen all across the league, I'm a rondo fan but he gets credited with a lot of iffy assists. Not outright mistakes where someone else made the pass though, that needs to be gone over and corrected. The issue I have with the NBA is the way they send alerts and run a media campaign about how Lebron got a triple double yet don't do that for other players. It's annoying watching league pass and seeing videos over and over again of guys like Lebron doing something yet they don't share the love around for other players even when they are on his team and had better games for him (not talking specifically about this last game).

boozehound
11-11-2014, 05:42 PM
how in the world is that an assist for anyone? That shit is bogus (like CP3 assists in NOLA). The nba should have impartial stat recorders at every game, and not depend on a home team employee's judgement.

STATUTORY
11-11-2014, 05:44 PM
you have to take Lebron's assist totals and multiply by 2/5 before you can make meaningful comparison to guys like Kobe

Cocaine80s
11-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Lebron has dominated the ball like a point guard his entire career and is the most ball-dominant wing player of all time, so he it shouldn't be a surprise that he has more triple-doubles in his career than any other wing (other than off-ball wing player Larry Bird).

But he's never been good enough as a ball-dominator to get 10 triple-doubles in 11 games (http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/01/michael-jordan-point-guard-in-1989-posted-triple-double-10-of-11-games), his assist averages are only slightly better than off-ball players Bird and Jordan, and his career triple double totals are a small fraction of the real best-passing ball-dominators, Kidd, Magic, and Oscar.

Lebron is a better passer than Jordan.

Deal with it

pauk
11-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Question even his TD's now? :facepalm

Droid101
11-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Who the **** would credit that as an assist at all? Stupid homer freaking scorekeepers I swear.

Droid101
11-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Question even his TD's now? :facepalm
Uh, he didn't even make the pass. Why wouldn't this play be questioned?

Rose'sACL
11-11-2014, 06:01 PM
His last assist was the funniest.. on a PnR with kyrie lebron passed it to him.. kyrie pump faked, jab stepped and shot it like 4-5 seconds after lebron passed it to him.:lol

In that case.. is the last pass to any shot an assist?
he shot it from the same position he got the ball.....post the gif and it was like 2 secs after the pass.
Stop BSing.

pauk
11-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Because it requires you to have no life to monitor basketball sheets / plays from start to bottom and make a thread about an arbitrary hypothetical error which means absolutely nothing to the game or the player if it did or didnt get the credit (1 ***ing assist) and YOU DO THIS ONLY FOR ONE PLAYER......... and YOU DO THIS ONLY TO TRY DISAPPROVE HIM........

Certainly you dont do this detective work & question assists / rebounds which he didnt get but SHOULD have, which caused him to miss many triple doubles? No, you would never do that..... exactly, i mean how the hell would that fit your Lebron hating agenda?

See now how pathetic this is?

Rose'sACL
11-11-2014, 06:06 PM
All players get this on their home courts. read up on difference between anthony davis' blocks numbers on home court and away last season. Same with pretty much all the players.

Because it requires you to have no life to monitor basketball sheets / plays from start to bottom and make a thread about an arbitrary hypothetical stat which means absolutely nothing to the game or the player if it did or didnt exist (1 ***ing assist) and YOU DO THIS ONLY FOR ONE PLAYER......... and YOU DO THIS ONLY TO TRY DISAPPROVE HIM........

Certainly you dont do this detective work & question assists / rebounds which he didnt get but SHOULD have, which caused him to miss many triple doubles? No, you would never do that..... exactly, i mean how the hell would that fit your Lebron hating agenda?

This. no one makes threads about AD's block numbers difference between home and away games. i have seen KG get it on rebounds, rondo/cp3 on assists and many more players.

GrapeApe
11-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Because it requires you to have no life to monitor basketball sheets / plays from start to bottom and make a thread about an arbitrary hypothetical error which means absolutely nothing to the game or the player if it did or didnt get the credit (1 ***ing assist) and YOU DO THIS ONLY FOR ONE PLAYER......... and YOU DO THIS ONLY TO TRY DISAPPROVE HIM........

How do you not see the irony of this post? :oldlol:

pauk
11-11-2014, 06:13 PM
....and would you make this thread if this same "error" was still there if Lebron DIDNT get the triple double?

Sourness, Lebron hatred.... thats all it is....

f0und
11-11-2014, 06:15 PM
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/532283222097682432

Beastmode88
11-11-2014, 06:15 PM

aren't you rewatching hundreds and thousands of jordan/kobe footage to link their "flops"

chazzy
11-11-2014, 06:17 PM
The night after Lebron recorded a 50 point triple double about 5 years ago, the league went back and reviewed a play and took his 10th assist back.

That was the first time I can remember them going back and changing a stat. They certainly wouldn't have went back if it was some random player who had 8 points and 2 assists that night.

Therefore, it is only fair that Lebron gets the benefit of the doubt from now on.
They review games afterwards and change stats all the time. It doesn't get publicized always because it's not always a triple double that they're removing

Mr. I'm So Rad
11-11-2014, 06:18 PM

So, when it comes to assists, I think everyone gets a little stat boost.

New Orleans was notorious for that with CP3 and even more, Collison. I read something about he Magic giving Shaq a ton of bogus blocks in a game against the Nets I think when he had a ton...like 12 or something.

chazzy
11-11-2014, 06:22 PM
The NFL does this every week. (http://fantasy.nfl.com/research/statcorrections#researchStatsCorrections=researchS tatsCorrections%2C%2Fresearch%2Fstatcorrections%25 3Fposition%253DO%2526sort%253Dpts%2526statCategory %253Dstats%2526statSeason%253D2014%2526statType%25 3DweekStats%2526statWeek%253D8%2Creplace) Stop acting like they're out to get your boy, Lebron stans

Asiantastic
11-11-2014, 06:23 PM

:oldlol:

Says the guy making a compilation of old Jordan "flops" and arguing about LeBron's missed triple doubles...
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280850

Burgz V2
11-11-2014, 06:25 PM
http://deadspin.com/5345287/the-confessions-of-an-nba-scorekeeper

great read thanks for posting.

outbreak
11-11-2014, 06:27 PM
All players get this on their home courts. read up on difference between anthony davis' blocks numbers on home court and away last season. Same with pretty much all the players.

This. no one makes threads about AD's block numbers difference between home and away games. i have seen KG get it on rebounds, rondo/cp3 on assists and many more players.

Blocks are different. If a player is credited for a block that was clearly a case of getting the player wrong they would fix that too. If it's an assist that is more subjective like a player dribbling a lot before shooting that would be a better comparison to blocks and would have a case both for and against. You can't argue when he didn't even make the pass though.

jlip
11-11-2014, 06:29 PM
I remember the NBA reviewed a potential quad- double game by Hakeem back in the day and removed an assist (I believe.) This is at least the second time it's been done to Lebron. Does anyone know of any other cases where there have been statistical modifications due to post game reviews?

Rose'sACL
11-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Blocks are different. If a player is credited for a block that was clearly a case of getting the player wrong they would fix that too. If it's an assist that is more subjective like a player dribbling a lot before shooting that would be a better comparison to blocks and would have a case both for and against. You can't argue when he didn't even make the pass though.
who is arguing ? i am just pointing out how the guy i was replying to has so much bias but still pretends like he doesn't care about lebron.

navy
11-11-2014, 06:39 PM
I remember the NBA reviewed a potential quad- double game by Hakeem back in the day and removed an assist (I believe.) This is at least the second time it's been done to Lebron. Does anyone know of any other cases where there have been statistical modifications due to post game reviews?

NBA is so jaded. Get real stats keepers instead of guys off the street.

Doranku
11-11-2014, 06:46 PM

What are you crying about? The home stat keepers tried to cheat for LeBron to give him a triple double and the "mistake" was rightfully corrected.

No triple double for Bron Bron, booooo hoooooo. :cry:

Droid101
11-11-2014, 06:51 PM
They happen constantly. It's just nobody cares if some bench scrub gets a rebound removed later on.

Droid101
11-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Because it requires you to have no life to monitor basketball sheets / plays from start to bottom and make a thread about an arbitrary hypothetical error which means absolutely nothing to the game or the player if it did or didnt get the credit Um, you realize people are paid to do that, right?

(1 ***ing assist) and YOU DO THIS ONLY FOR ONE PLAYER......... and YOU DO THIS ONLY TO TRY DISAPPROVE HIM........
I didn't do it. And no, they don't just do it to LeBron as much as you wish they did. They do stat corrections every damn day.

Kblaze8855
11-11-2014, 06:55 PM
The Hakeem quadruple double was actually noticed on tape later...but they wouldnt add it after review. At least I think so. Not that it matters...he had a second quadruple double that same month.

Anyway....you cant trust the numbers on big performances like this. Rondo was flat out gifted a full 6 assists in his supposed 20 assist night vs the Raptors including Paul Pierce driving from halfcourt taking 4 dribbles.

Hell rondo had other peoples assists credit to him too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGqn3oyGDb0

You cant trust many numbers outside points scored. All the rest are just what someone decides to write down. Usually they are about right...but when people want to alter it there is little to be done about it unless they get as obvious as the above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGqn3oyGDb0

jlip
11-11-2014, 07:05 PM
If memory serves me correctly the final assist by Westbrook in his game 7 trip double against the Grizz last playoffs was very questionable.

Edit:
It was game 2 against the Clippers. Here is the play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwXKwuGw4-k#t=4m40s). The "assist" to Durant (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwXKwuGw4-k#t=4m34s) right before that was very liberally given also.

Bernkastel
11-11-2014, 07:46 PM

:lol:lol:lol

inclinerator
11-11-2014, 07:50 PM
dont forgot westbricks triple double in the playoffs
dont think it was ever rescinded

Blue&Orange
11-11-2014, 07:51 PM
NBE just gifted Lebron with 3 n

Hoopz2332
11-11-2014, 08:00 PM

^^son is still mad that LBJ is a better passer than MJ:oldlol:

here is the thread for you to drop those Jordan passing gifs

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355658&page=34

Ai2death
11-11-2014, 08:56 PM
^^son is still mad that LBJ is a better passer than MJ:oldlol:

here is the thread for you to drop those Jordan passing gifs

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355658&page=34

It's not anyones fault that MJ would rather have the ball to win a game unlike Brn

Hoopz2332
11-11-2014, 09:10 PM
It's not anyones fault that MJ would rather have the ball to win a game unlike Brn

:coleman:

Lebron did/does both ways

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWtZ1sQIEAAM38F.png

http://i.imgur.com/rEhQ8it.png

http://i.imgur.com/vsGZyYa.png

http://i.imgur.com/RqK0DhC.png

oarabbus
11-11-2014, 09:19 PM
....and would you make this thread if this same "error" was still there if Lebron DIDNT get the triple double?

Sourness, Lebron hatred.... thats all it is....

Yes, yes I would. If LeBron's 10th assist was credited to Tristan Thompson mistakenly, I would make a thread titled "LeBron assist falsely credited to Thompson - Lebron had Triple Double".

Anything else?

colts19
11-11-2014, 09:43 PM
To me this is not even about lebron. Its about how in the world would you ever give an assist to someone who tip the rebound to another player. Just stop and think about it. If the guy that its tipped to makes a pass then in what world would the guy who tipped the ball to him get an assist. It's the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

navy
11-11-2014, 09:46 PM
To me this is not even about lebron. Its about how in the world would you ever give an assist to someone who tip the rebound to another player. Just stop and think about it. If the guy that its tipped to makes a pass then in what world would the guy who tipped the ball to him get an assist. It's the stupidest thing I have ever seen.
It was an error not a exaggerated assist that was up to the transgression of the assist keeper. Big difference.

oarabbus
11-11-2014, 09:48 PM
It was an error not a exaggerated assist that was up the the transgression of the assist keeper. Big difference.

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Not only was it an error (credited to wrong player) but the "assist" itself was a HUGELY exaggerated assist that was a major transgression of the stat keeper... it's awful on both counts.

navy
11-11-2014, 09:54 PM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Not only was it an error (credited to wrong player) but the "assist" itself was a HUGELY exaggerated assist that was a major transgression of the stat keeper... it's awful on both counts.
Usually the person who ignites a fast break like that gets an assist as long as the ball doesnt change hands. They just gave marc one like that in the Grizzlies game. :confusedshrug:

chazzy
11-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Usually the person who ignites a fast break like that gets an assist as long as the ball doesnt change hands. They just gave marc one like that in the Grizzlies game. :confusedshrug:
Kyrie caught it at halfcourt and didn't have some easy finish.. for staticians to consider that an assist in general is a joke

Blue&Orange
11-11-2014, 10:34 PM

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Blue&Orange
11-11-2014, 10:35 PM
^
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

gts
11-11-2014, 10:48 PM
CLEVELAND -- The NBA has stripped LeBron James of a triple-double.

After reviewing film of the Cavaliers' 118-111 win Monday night over New Orleans, the league took away a rebound and assist from James, who initially had been credited with his 38th career triple double -- at least 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.

James finished with 32 points, 11 rebounds and nine assists as the Cavs improved to 3-3.

The league routinely reviews videotape to maintain the integrity of statistics.

With 3:27 left in third quarter, James was incorrectly awarded an assist when he tipped the ball to Tristan Thompson, who passed to Kyrie Irving for a layup. In the fourth quarter, James was given an offensive rebound that should have gone to teammate Mike Miller.

League spokesman Tim Frank said the changes have been made to the official box score.

Knicks101
11-11-2014, 10:50 PM
And all was right in the world.